Thaksin Vows To Be Back In Thailand For His Birthday In July

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way,why they always use "self exiled "to describe what in reallity is a criminal on the run from justice.

I'll bite, at the risk of veering slightly off-topic.

To say that former-PM Thaksin had been 'exiled' would imply, that he had been thrown out of the country, or was somehow banned from entering, even now that it's his own sister 'in charge' and a pro-Thaksin government.

The reason he choses not to be here is by his own choice, nothing else, hence 'self-exiled'. Which is why he can decide to return at any time he choses, unless his private-jet is unable to fly in-the-dark, as his sister's helicopter supposedly cannot ! rolleyes.gif

Of course along with his loyal supporters there is also a 2-year court-sentence awaiting him, and a number of other cases requiring his presence in court, to hear the charges read, and which can not be tried in-absentia.

The question I have is, even if an amnesty is pushed through, can ALL of these crimes / cases be whitewashed as being 'politically motivated'??? Was all that land case evidence 'made-up' by his opponents, and all the judges were corrupt?? hmmm...

Likewise, the proportion of voters who didn't vote for the PTP didn't, in reality, mean their vote was for the democrat party - unfortunately most of the members on here seem to believe that this is the case. Taking that in consideration the PTP still got more seats than the nearest opposing party, the democrat party and that, in reality, is why they are in power.

Your hypothetical case is as it says and therefore cannot be used as a method of guaging the popularity, or not, of Thaksin.

Ask yourself this: if Thaksin is so unpopular and nobody wants him back why have the democrat party in general, and abhisit in particular, got such an erection over him?

No one has said that a vote not for PTP is a vote for Democrats.

K. Thaksin looking around him might have said "All people (here) want me back" cowboy.gif

That's exactly the idea - Abhisit had this to say back in December 2011;

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday that he would work to bring all sides together provided there were no more red-shirt villages and the movement was dispersed.

"If the red-shirt movement does not come to an end, then the reconciliation cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model," he said.....

...........The 66/23 model was used by General Prem Tinsulanonda's government, which allowed communists to return to society and join a national development programme.

http://www.nationmul...e-30172336.html

Just to clarify, I would of course be equally worried about re-education, by either side.

And the continuing growth of the red-Shirt Village movement, even after Thaksin's PTP has won the latest election, and the apparent short-term imperative for their existence is gone, doesn't appear to me to enhance the chances of reconciliation or democracy in Thailand. Former-PM Abhisit is right to raise this point.

But currently it's former-PM Thaksin who promises that "there will be no yellow-shirts and red-shirts", and I wonder how exactly he might be so sure he can achieve this ? Especially since he doesn't know any Red-Shirts, and has quit Thai politics, and so-on ?