Er6N Track Bike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't find the quote button any more.... ???

The ER6-F (or ninja 650) will be just the same on the track as naked stable mate. The reason the ER6 is more common would probably be due to it's lack of bodywork that would come in to contact with the ground on a fall. Even so the faired version's panels are cheap as chips to replace.

An exhaust would be a good addition to help the engine breath better at the higher track associated RPMS. You'll benefit from some better rubber, rearsets, brake pads, brake lines and some suspension tweaks. the list is endless and depends on how far and serious you wish to take this hobby :)

But the must haves are, tyres, pads and at least a rear shock and of course propper gear.

Karl :)

The fastest man in Thailand on an EX650 is Colin (newf) with Luke (SundayPsychos) always hot on his heels they've done surprisingly little to their ER6n's. Race rearsets, different rear shocks (YSS I think), Powercomander, ZX10R brake calipers, different exhausts of course, different bars on Colin's bike (only cuz the originals got bent), and.... I think that's about it. Track tires of course. No doubt Colin and Luke will chime in and add anything I've forgotten.

258462_10150205763171567_592306566_7701838_2633424_o.jpg

IMO the EX650 isn't fast enough and Thailand's tracks aren't long enough to warrant fairings- they just add weight. Anything you can do to lighten the bike will be beneficial. I know one fellow who even replaced the stock battery with a scooter battery half the size- that's a ~500 gram savings right there!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

T

The fastest man in Thailand on an EX650 is Colin (newf) with Luke (SundayPsychos)

haha not far off there, Colin has a 1m 29.4s under his belt at thailand circuit, mine is a 1m29.5s. However at Bira I have him with a 1m09.54s, colin (currently) has a 1m10.01s

Major mods and most important are...

1. slicks(pirelli)

2. a comprehensive diet plan. mine is currently about 174kgs dry, down about 25kgs on stock.

3. opening up airbox, aftermarket pipe( me and colin both use arrow)

4. ZX10r brake caliipers + decent pads

5.aftermarket rear shock, we use YSS but im sure hyperpro and ohlins are very good aswell.

6. rear sets, stock not only drag when cornering but they weigh a tonne aswell..

7. stock bars are too narrow and high, I have rizoma bars on mine and quite like them, much better control than stock

8.those are the things I can immediately think of, I have a 2 bros juice box on mine but too be honest I dont think it works aswell as a powercommander would, it cant be fine tuned like the pc's can.

cheers

Edited by sundaypsychos

Nobody has specifically mentioned working on the front suspension! Surely such a rudimentary front end like that needs significant work? Agree with all the other stuff though.

For any amatuer or first timer wanting to get into track days, suspension (front and rear) is top priority followed by tyres.

Weight reduction is important too.

You need to learn to ride the bike "fast" before worrying about power.

I doubt anybody new to track days can hope to achieve sub 1:20 at Bira or 1:40 at Nahkon Chaisri unless you are naturally talented - at least not for a while.

All the other things mentioned by Luke and Tony can come later but if you have plenty of money and time no harm in going for it immediately!

Colins front suspension is STOCK, it actually works reasonably well. We have dropped the triple clamps about 15mm to get it to steer quicker. The mod you can do is stick ZX6r USD forks on it, but this is an expensive mod and know of only one bike like this in thailand.

My front end has more, and heavier fork oil to give it a stiffer feel, this makes it work suprisingly well and im pretty happy with it, it still bottoms out at the end of the straight at BIRA and thailand circuit, but hey its only an ER6 and you just kinda ride around it.

There are no clickers to adjust so unless you do the ZX6r mod, or buy OHLINS then I think what me and col have done is adequate at this level. Check out the ER6's in the Irish road racing series for some proper race mods..

I doubt anybody new to track days can hope to achieve sub 1:20 at Bira or 1:40 at Nahkon Chaisri unless you are naturally talented - at least not for a while.

The OP only asked about modifications that someone would do to a ER6 to take it to the track, I have no idea of whether it is his first trackday or his 400th, I also have no idea of whether he can ride " fast " or not, so I was just answering the question put to the board without making to many presumptions.

Edited by sundaypsychos

Colins front suspension is STOCK, it actually works reasonably well. We have dropped the triple clamps about 15mm to get it to steer quicker. The mod you can do is stick ZX6r USD forks on it, but this is an expensive mod and know of only one bike like this in thailand.

My front end has more, and heavier fork oil to give it a stiffer feel, this makes it work suprisingly well and im pretty happy with it, it still bottoms out at the end of the straight at BIRA and thailand circuit, but hey its only an ER6 and you just kinda ride around it.

There are no clickers to adjust so unless you do the ZX6r mod, or buy OHLINS then I think what me and col have done is adequate at this level. Check out the ER6's in the Irish road racing series for some proper race mods..

Just trying to help someone not waste time or money if venturing onto the track. I know from experience that chasing power without first sorting suspension and improving your riding

can be a waste. Not wanting to be presumtuous.

The OP only asked about modifications that someone would do to a ER6 to take it to the track, I have no idea of whether it is his first trackday or his 400th, I also have no idea of whether he can ride " fast " or not, so I was just answering the question put to the board without making to many presumptions.

Nobody has specifically mentioned working on the front suspension! Surely such a rudimentary front end like that needs significant work? Agree with all the other stuff though.

For any amatuer or first timer wanting to get into track days, suspension (front and rear) is top priority followed by tyres.

Weight reduction is important too.

All the other things mentioned by Luke and Tony can come later but if you have plenty of money and time no harm in going for it immediately!

I don't know of anyone who's done any serious power mods to their EX650 in Thailand.

In more competitive venues folks install race cams, polish and port and advance the timing.

Here in Thailand the most anyone seems to do is just install a fuel injection controller, aftermarket pipe and open up the airbox.

Since there's no money in racing 650's in Thailand it probably doesn't make much sense to spend big money chasing small power gains on these bikes.

Ride On!

Tony

Quickest guys at BIRA are 1m02/03/04s, and at Thailand circuit, 1m22s/23s/24s,

Almost everyone uses CBR1000RR's.

So the old ER6's ridden by me and col are about 5 secs down!!

That's pretty dam good for a vastly underpowered inferior bike - 1.10's vers 1m ish but I suppose Bura is not exactly suited to a high power racer - very good none the less, I dropped in there today and of all days there was a trashed CBR1100, looked a mess hope the guy is OK, didn't see it happen I think maybe about 15mins before I got there.

Wish I was younger I might have taken up a bit of racing but I think it's just beyond me now, I know there are a few guys there in an older age group but but I just wouldn't have the conviction

enjoy guys and be safe

I'd have to say the other way around, an amateur with little track experience and throttle control would benefit from all the grip he/she can get when exiting a corner :)

It all counts guys, but the big stressor for racing/track riding would be brakes because they get so much more stressed, after that if you want to improve lap times etc then you're into tyres and suspension setup, production suspension is designed for a broader set of variables - a track is generally a flat smooth surface which can allow the suspension to be more defined for those conditions, then of course all governed by rider skill and ability to fully use what you have.

That's why I said suspension and tyres. Where else are you getting grip from?

I'd have to say the other way around, an amateur with little track experience and throttle control would benefit from all the grip he/she can get when exiting a corner smile.png

That's why I said suspension and tyres. Where else are you getting grip from?

I'd have to say the other way around, an amateur with little track experience and throttle control would benefit from all the grip he/she can get when exiting a corner smile.png

The key word being 'followed' just how many track days would be required before swapping out those standard touring tyres.

That's why i said tyres first, you can have best suspension setup out there but those stock touring tyres are going to high / lowside an amature the first time out.

Unless you meant to say 'suspension (front and rear) is top priority and before tracking it with that new suspension fit some sticky tyres.' smile.png

Edited by karlos

The fastest man in Thailand on an EX650 is Colin (newf) with Luke (SundayPsychos)

haha not far off there, Colin has a 1m 29.4s under his belt at thailand circuit, mine is a 1m29.5s. However at Bira I have him with a 1m09.54s, colin (currently) has a 1m10.01s

1. slicks(pirelli)

2. a comprehensive diet plan. mine is currently about 174kgs dry, down about 25kgs on stock.

5.aftermarket rear shock, we use YSS but im sure hyperpro and ohlins are very good aswell.

6. rear sets, stock not only drag when cornering but they weigh a tonne aswell..

7. stock bars are too narrow and high, I have rizoma bars on mine and quite like them, much better control than stock

8.those are the things I can immediately think of, I have a 2 bros juice box on mine but too be honest I dont think it works aswell as a powercommander would, it cant be fine tuned like the pc's can.

cheers

Luke,

I was waiting for you to comment on this....lol...I tried to have a go at your lap time last monday but couldn't get a new tire at late notice.

The ER6 does perform very well at the track and is still a blast to ride, currently i'm about 6s slower on the ER6 then the 08 CBR1000RR but i think i can drop another 0.5s or more by keeping it in a higher gear through the chicanes like Luke was using to drop into the 1:09s.

I haven't ridden the ER6 on the track with the stock rear shock but i know Graham is still running it and he does very well and i'm only using the street version of the YSS (Preload & Rebound adjustment).

The ER6 has some good torque numbers stock and that makes its suit the circuits in thailand very well.

they have a slipper clutch?

I'm just not sure why ur prefering these bikes over a more dedicated sport bike, which it seems most also have anyway. are they more fun, more forgiving or what?

dm

Who said anything about preferring them??

They have a race series here in Thailand for naked bikes under 750cc, thats why I bought my ER6n.

I also have a CBR1000RR which I much prefer riding and racing,

ER6's are a much better stepping stone for someone looking to make their first forays into track riding in thailand as like you said they are more " forgiving(slow)", and if you bin it or crash then you are much less likely to run up big bills.

For example I smashed my blade up and did 150,000bahts worth of damage, you can buy a whole ER6 for that so the running costs are just a hell of a lot less for someone who is just entering the track day/ racing world. In terms of tyres aswell, an ER6 will cost you far less in terms of tyres over a years worth of racing for example.

Oh and no they dont have a slipper clutch.

Edited by sundaypsychos

1. slicks(pirelli)

cheers

What is involved in mounting ZX10r brake caliipers to an er6 i would love to improve my 2009 er6n brakes.

1. slicks(pirelli)

cheers

What is involved in mounting ZX10r brake caliipers to an er6 i would love to improve my 2009 er6n brakes.

Some custom caliper brackets and the ZX10R master cylinder, that's pretty much it if you want to do it on the cheap.

There's another way if you want the full bling of a radially mounted set up that includes 636 usd's

yep I bought my ZX10r calipers with a custom bracket set-up. if you have to arrange this yourself i reckon it could be done for 1500-2000baht.

I used to run a Brembo master cylinder, this worked the best but I ended up putting it on my CBR1000, the I switched the CBR master cylinder to run on the ER6, this didnt really work so good so I went back to the original master cylinder, and coupled with the ZX10r calipers and SBS brake pads makes a pretty decent braking setup. Total cost for me to do this was under 10,000baht.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

What prices are a set of slicks for Er6n , Ive got Rossi 2s on now , but looking at taking bike off the road & going just track bike. I have most of the mods already stated , except ZX10 brakes , Powercomander . Or just upgrade tp CBR1000 .......what to what to do

What prices are a set of slicks for Er6n , Ive got Rossi 2s on now , but looking at taking bike off the road & going just track bike. I have most of the mods already stated , except ZX10 brakes , Powercomander . Or just upgrade tp CBR1000 .......what to what to do

I would just modify the er for a year or so and then if you really get frustrated with the lack of power upgrade completely to a CBR1000RR and they fly fly fly.

Have you found a decent van yet to OUR bikes in hehe?