Have You Been Scammed

Has anyone been scammed buying property. I constantly hear of disasters and yet buyers keep giving cash to builders without any research. I am sure that the majority of developeers are honest and have every intention of building as agreed. But how much is lost to scammers and we do not hear anything about it. You even hear stories about people who have been scammed and then are scammed by the people trying to help them.

I need your stories!

Ok. How's this:

1. Do you're homework.

2. Don't lay out any money you're not willing to lose.

3. If it turns into BS, walk away.

4. Rent. It's probably cheaper in the long run anyway.

If you think you'll get recourse in a Thai court, I've got some beachfront property I'd like to show you.

Caveat Emptor

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Just a reminder that Thai Visa does not allow "naming and shaming" of individuals or companies or government departments etc. due to harsh and far reaching defamation laws.

That is why i didn't post my stories and of people i know because they would get deleted

I don't have any personal horror stories as I bought a condo that was already completed but I liked Farangme's to rent as it's cheaper in the long run - once you tot up the maintenance fees, then when you sell the sales fee to the agent and the 3-4 different taxes you have pay on a sale...... phew!

The only story I have is a friend who build a house from scratch upcountry - just the usual stuff about builders not working or following the plan, but I think that's par for the course in any country. The process of building a house in any country is going to throw you a few curve-balls along the way.

I think I have been "scammed" every time I've been to buy property.

I always do my homework, find out the exact tax items/amounts that will be due at the time of transfer for the property.

Knowing this information I then negotiate a contract with the seller where I get a good deal on tax.

At the land department the (Thai) sellers have NEVER done their homework. They get the tax bill and are "shocked" at the amount they have to pay, and it's "not fair" despite having a signed contract specifying exactly who pays what tax.

At this point I'm always of the opinion of "We have a contract, follow it or <deleted> off"...but my wife is always a softie and in the end we ALWAYS end up slinging some money towards their tax bill just to get the deal done. sigh