Driving License For Thai Citizen Going To Europe?

oz457

Hi all,

Please apologize if the subject is in this forum channel. I haven't seen a channel related to driving, etc.

My wife will come over to Europe (Belgium). Can she use her Thai driving license to drive a car in Europe or does she require a international driving license like we do when we go to Thailand?

In case an international driving license is required, where can she get it and what are the costs involved?

Kurt

Better safe than sorry, get her an IDP....10 minute exercise at Mochit traffic department...needs her 5 year Thai DL, Two photo's and her passport, last time got one was a little over THB 500 and lasts a year

Edited by Soutpeel

Only at the Mochit-Jatujak area Land Transport Department? Or, is it obtainable at the provincial level LTDs?

Mac

Mac, that I am not sure of...I even think Pattaya sends their applications to BKK...maybe someone else can advise...I have had 3 IDP's over the last few years but got them all at Mochit

If it were for the UK she'd need to get a Provisional Licence too. That, in conjunction with her IDP, will enable her to drive independantly for up to 1 year. Within that year she'd need to apply for her test for a full licence to continue under these rules of driving.

Carl

What's a provisional license and how to get it?

So can't simply use intl driving license?

The body responsible for issuing driving licences in UK is DVLA at Swansea. As said a provisional DL is required for any class of vehicle and info can be found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/index.htm

Apply well in advance of arriving. They are very slow....

If it were for the UK she'd need to get a Provisional Licence too. That, in conjunction with her IDP, will enable her to drive independantly for up to 1 year. Within that year she'd need to apply for her test for a full licence to continue under these rules of driving.

Not quite.

Visitors from outside the UK may use their foreign licence for up to one year; this year starts each time they enter the UK.

Those entering the UK to take up residence can also use their foreign licence for up to one year; but the year starts from their first entry to take up residence. If they have not obtained a GB (or NI if living there) licence during this year then they must stop driving at the end of it. If they have obtained a provisional licence but not passed a GB (or NI) test by the end of the year then they can only drive under the provisional licence conditions.

See Driving on licences from all other countries, and students on a foreign licence.

An IDP is not strictly necessary, and by itself is not valid for driving in the UK, you need your foreign licence as well. An IDP can be useful, though, as it will provide a translation of the foreign licence.

I believe that similar rules apply throughout the EU.

From what I know

1) Non European Nationals are required to present BOTH driving Licence AND International permit

2) You should check with the local administration as the Thai Driving Licence is not recognised, at least on the French soil

I should point out that I have been controlled at the German border and they let me go.

3) In any case apply for it (500 baht) at any land transport department