3 Murders As Songkran In Thailand Turns Ugly

webfact

"In another case in Bangkok, an underage member of an illegal motorcycle gang was shot dead and four others wounded when a rival gang opened fire after a Silom Road water fight turned deadly."

How was he underage if the motorcycle gang was ilegal? do the government have a minimum age for memberships to ilegal gangs?

Terrible stories. This happens every year. RIP.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a previous poster, these kind of celebrations need to be confined to designated areas, so as to allow those who wish to go about their normal business to do so in peace-like the man who was on his way to attend a funeral.

For the most part they are the crazy ones that is.

The spots are known as Tourist areas.

Go into the Thai part of town and see if they have the streets lined with people throwing water at truckloads of people who have 50 gallon barrels of water.

We came home from Pichluc one year and had to go through a lot of towns they all had side roads one could take to avoid the bulk of the water throwing or in some cases hosing.

I don't know the specifics of the man on the way to attend a funeral but I would be willing to bet he could have taken another route, But according to the article the man had stopped and had a altercation with the killer who not only shot him but robbed him. Here in Chiang Mai when some one on a motor bike gets hit by water they don't stop and argue they keep going.

And the biker gang related only one killed. Defiantly not a western biker gang.

As for the lad defending his sister that was a shame may she rest in peace,

Did you actually read the OP before jumping on your computer to tell everyone what an expert you are? Unbelievable...........

The guy on the way to the funeral was clubbed, not shot, and the sister didn't die, her brother did.

RIP to all of them, I nearly killed a Russian on beach road in Pattaya yesterday, sadly no knives or clubs were handy at the time. Wearing swimming goggles whilst unloading water cannons into other peoples eyes is just not on, but the rest of the day was great with very little aggression or confrontation.

Thats what narks me most now, I love songkran and enjoy going out on the bike with my daughter on pillion it used to be gr8 but now everybody seems intent on hitting you in the eyes with freezing cold water often with chunks of ice in it and trying to knock you off, they dont seem to care that theres a six year old girl just trying to have a bit of fun with her dad, the rage i see on some of the faces as they try to soak you really abhors me sometimes, thank god we're going for songkran in Phitsanulok next year where its a bit more civilised because i've had enough of it in Phuket.

Can't wait for the Reggae festival at Cha-Am later this year with this gang mentality now becoming more prevalant around the place...We won't ask where and why the police weren't there..."Illegal bikie gang"and the first confrontation in broad daylight in a main tourist area!!!whistling.gif

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

I agree with a previous poster, these kind of celebrations need to be confined to designated areas, so as to allow those who wish to go about their normal business to do so in peace-like the man who was on his way to attend a funeral.

Yes, I go along with that and makes complete sense to me.

Events like these should be in specially selected allocated areas for those who wish to celebrate the water throwing, party and enjoy to rave. The same could also be organised by the local councils to provide grounds where villagers could meet and celebrate Songkran.

In this respect all these festivities could be supervised and easy to control. Other benefits of applying these systems would be less accidents and deaths on the roads plus giving the opportunity to others not to get drenched and just get on with their own business in peace without bad feelings or arguments.

Typical examples are the Notting Hill and Rio carnivals that are contained to certain areas of the cities.

A couple of days ago I was travelling along on my motorbike when ahead of me I could see a bunch of kids throwing water from small plastic buckets at vehicles from the sidewalk. One particular little boy, couldn’t have been more than 5 years old caught my attention. He was literally running out in front of fast moving vehicles playing dodgems with the traffic. I was more concerned with avoiding the little child than the water. I thought; what sort of parents does he have? They must be crazy letting kids like these participate in the water games without supervision.

I think the problem lies with the authorities that don’t care enough or simply cant be bothered to pull their fingers out and bring in some organisation to the festivities of Songkran, as I’m sure this would be welcomed by all.

As for those who don`t agree with me and believe that I should piss off somewhere else, I give you my two fingered salute in advance with the message, up yours too.

• Like 1

I've no doubt this will become a trend! Next year we won't be counting deaths by wreckless and drunk driving, but the number of murders. sad.png

It really is time to clamp down and control the revelling. Limit it to controlled areas, where those who want an official soaking go to meet.

One really does sick and tire of songkran after some lengthy time living here!

-mel.

Well I guess it will take time but we can all do our bit. We had decided to get well out the way and spend a quiet family songkhran by the beach in a hotel, HOWEVER, the Tsunami scare put that plan to the bin as the women folk were scared to death of going to the beach. So, we have had a quiet family holiday at home, no water throwing for the kids or for Dad! We had the traditional water pouring ceremony with Grandma and an afternoon in the paddling pool in the garden (normal sat/sun). Two big family dinners and a few glasses of red for Dad, great holiday, quality time with the family and a traditional Songkhran. Try it, you'll like it! Change is a little bit like erosion, it's a very slow process but a very powerful force. We can't change much but we can help our children see how stupid the current behaviour is.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

To each their own, but I do agree with the poster that says there should be designated areas as I also believe the original intent of the celebration has been lost.

15 years ago Songkran was a pleasant day where, with a polite, "Kor Tod, ka", a big friendly smile a small amount of water would be shaken at you, and maybe some white paste smeared on your face. And if you said "Mai Ao, krap" they would not do anything.

Now it is termed "National Waterfight Day".

Usually I head for a neighboring country, this year I stayed indoors.

I believe that there was a move a year or two ago to designate "wet" and "dry" areas. I suppose as usual it was unenforceable.

And I still believe that most Thais, if you ask politely and are not on the main drag, will not soak you.

This does not seem to apply to the foreigners.

The traditional water blessing was to gently poor water over elders in the family or just poor water gentally into a persons cupped hands. It was never a water fight or even soaking everyone in sight. Its just got twisted over time.

• Like 1

at that is why i have to live like a hermit for 4 days a year...

"a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday" , so a "man" cannot show his upper body anymore ?

lol

If indeed that is the case, there must after all be a God up there

Barbaric!

Sounds like the UK on an average Friday or Saturday night. People are getting shot and knifed almost daily in the UK. Better ban all activities and lock everyone up for their own safety.

I read last month that the UK had a 10th the gun crime of Las Vegas & was the 3rd lowest in Europe. Don't know about knife crime, but apart from domestic's seem's to me a black/asian thing.

Three murders sounds like a Tuesday night in Pattaya, everyone in Thailand knows what is happening in the Songkran [ Happy New Year ] party time fun time, so all the sulky sower faced lemon sucking farangs should just stay at home and you can then be almost guaranteed to stay dry so no worries and no problems getting wet with water ‘What a shower’

I've no doubt this will become a trend! Next year we won't be counting deaths by wreckless and drunk driving, but the number of murders. sad.png

It really is time to clamp down and control the revelling. Limit it to controlled areas, where those who want an official soaking go to meet.

One really does sick and tire of songkran after some lengthy time living here!

-mel.

You are free to leave of living here is no longer enjoyable for you. Some of us are happy to join in with the fun. And don't forget that these are isolated incidents. Millions have enjoyed themselves. You get deaths and major events in almost all countries. Just look at the UK and USA. There are plenty getting shot and knifed every day, not just during festivals. A few isolated incidents, even if really bad, is no reason to ban a popular festival. The solution is to stop the idiots, not spoil the fun for the law-abiding people. It is the idiots that are the problem, not Songkran. Idiots are everywhere. Some of you boring expats would ban almost every activity of you could. If you don't like it here, then just leave instead of constantly complaining.

A hell of a lot of dissatisfaction goes unreported... not a few isolated incidents.

You are free to leave of living here is no longer enjoyable for you. Some of us are happy to join in with the fun. And don't forget that these are isolated incidents. Millions have enjoyed themselves. You get deaths and major events in almost all countries. Just look at the UK and USA. There are plenty getting shot and knifed every day, not just during festivals.

Ahh.. the 'You May Leave Its Not Your Country"-trump card! Be assured that the other millions of Thais are not enjoying themselves! The whole Thai New Year has gotten out of hand, turned in a tyranny of the drunk. It's getting too dangerous, also for a lot of Thais who are hiding in their homes for 3/4 days and should they leave as well?

YESSS!!

Thai New Year. Water splashing festival? I don't get it.

How many millions of cubic meters of water will be used to soak people, streets and vehicles all over Thailand while over a dozen provinces are going through a drought?

Never mind! I just remembered the age old device to keep the masses entertained and defused: bread and circus.clap2.gif

how true!!

...Meanwhile, a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday for dancing topless at a party in Ayutthaya, after relatives delivered him to police. Sarawuth Sapharb, 20, was roundly criticised after video clips of him dancing were posted online...

I think this may be the incident referred to.

http://youtu.be/lDGJLbrnHOE

Pics and story:

http://www.dailynews.../thailand/22238

http://www.dailynews.../thailand/22401

3 people? Geez that is any black<Facts are facts it is not white violence> ghetto on a weekend in America. The Chicagos, Detroits, Oaklands, Newarks and 8th ward New Orleans. We almost saw a nasty throw down in Chiang Mai right off Tai Pai gate 3 Thais beating 1 Thai the one Thai running home grabbing a rusty hammer and chasing one of the guys down luckily the guys mom and friends came out and tackled after he missed.

Meanwhile, a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday for dancing topless at a party in Ayutthaya, after relatives delivered him to police. Sarawuth Sapharb, 20, was roundly criticised after video clips of him dancing were posted online.

????

A transvestite is a guy that dresses up in women's clothing right?

Once the dress and bra is off, he is still a guy, right?

Why then would a shirtless guy be considered offensive? People are walking around shirtless all the time.

Do they mean a guy with fake boobs? If so that would be a transgender, wouldn't it?

Not right. A transvestite is a person that changes gender. A man dressing as a woman is in drag.

You may need to use google for the proper definition of "transvestite", and might as well try "transgender" while you're at it.

Songkran has escalated from a fun and relatively respectful event it used to be to the aggressive, no-fun hazard is has become in many parts of the country today. Before the usual crowd retorts that if I don't like it I can leave the country and go back to my own country, may I point out I've probably been here a lot longer (a quarter century) than the vast majority of those that bring up that lame argument. It is possible for a farang to have a legitimate appreciation for what this country's culture has to offer and at the same time to object to how one of it's traditions seems to have gone seriously off the rails. This gives no excuse for a bunch of tourists to tell them to leave. Besides, there are a lot of Thais who don't exactly enjoy being assaulted - you want to tell them to leave too?

I read a piece in the Thai airways inflight magazine. It totally contradicts your statement here. An elderly lady describes her relatives from DingDang attacking war-style their family home in Silom each year. Water fights, fun and lots of aggression ended in injury each year, but they loved it. I too have been here for as long as you. Songkran has not changed, I've celebrated from the north to south, east to west, and now go to Chiangmai every year. Justify your statement! I think it might be you've just got too old to enjoy it like the young do with such aplomb. Everybody to there own, but if you can't deal with it, I have not problem saying you should leave.

I was at 2 songkran's. I hope I never have to go through another one. smile.png

I've been hit in the face by ice cubes and water while zipping down the road at speed. My sun glasses went flying across the road. I was blinded for a few seconds and I had to stop hoping not to get hit or drive off the road.

My wife was knocked off her scooter last year. She could have been killed too.

It's not to bad when your in a car but if you only have a bike it's a pain. Like late at night going out for food without wanting to be drenched. If they could at least say no drenching's after 6pm or something? That would be one step to a better songkran.

A hell of a lot of dissatisfaction goes unreported...

But a hell of a lot more satisfaction goes unreported as well.

Good news doesn't make good news........................wink.png

Edit: Sorry HD, you beat me to it!

Edited by chrisinth

Barbaric!

Sounds like the UK on an average Friday or Saturday night. People are getting shot and knifed almost daily in the UK. Better ban all activities and lock everyone up for their own safety.

Yes its not reasonable to single out the Thai New Year for criticism - the same happens in all cities and cultures during large scale festivals and celebrations anywhere in the world.

Would those complaining be happy if all celebrations of say New Year were banned in the UK, Australia or the USA?

Thailand is not known for attracting the brightest minds to come live here.

Yeah, but even if the brightest minds did come, it wouldn't matter. Stephen Hawking could show up and apply for a science job, they'd scan over his resume, ask him "how long you in Thailand" and "you have Thai wife", kick him out the door, and hire some guy from the Philippines instead.

• Like 2