3 Murders As Songkran In Thailand Turns Ugly

webfact

3 deaths, how many event-less celebrations took place? You don't know do you? Probably because these events were considered un-newsworthy.

Too many people are keen to moan about the negatives and put a negative spin on the positive stories.

If the place is so bad, why don't you go back to your wonderful country of origin & stop whineging? Thailand is not going to be the same as "at home", but then - if it was wuold you want to live here???

WPFflags.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Meanwhile, a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday for dancing topless at a party in Ayutthaya"

This must raise an interesting legal point. At what point does a man not wearing a shirt constitute a crime even if he has stuck a pair of fake breasts on his chest????

Yeh I have oftened wondered what kind of legal implacation that would surround this type of thing. I still haven't figured out what bathrooms they use and if that would be considered illegal. Then there is the prison factor....while I strongly believe that they are free to do what they want at what point do we hold them accountable for actions that we would considered to be illegal for each gender. So, I would agree with you, this brings an interesting question to the legal issues.

Yes it brings up a couple of interesting points.

You are free to leave of living here is no longer enjoyable for you. Some of us are happy to join in with the fun. And don't forget that these are isolated incidents. Millions have enjoyed themselves. You get deaths and major events in almost all countries. Just look at the UK and USA. There are plenty getting shot and knifed every day, not just during festivals.

Ahh.. the 'You May Leave Its Not Your Country"-trump card! Be assured that the other millions of Thais are not enjoying themselves! The whole Thai New Year has gotten out of hand, turned in a tyranny of the drunk. It's getting too dangerous, also for a lot of Thais who are hiding in their homes for 3/4 days and should they leave as well?

Meanwhile tens-of-millions of Thais are having a great time. You're not .... but they are.

• Like 1

I've no doubt this will become a trend! Next year we won't be counting deaths by wreckless and drunk driving, but the number of murders. sad.png

It really is time to clamp down and control the revelling. Limit it to controlled areas, where those who want an official soaking go to meet.

One really does sick and tire of songkran after some lengthy time living here!

-mel.

When you have lived here as long as I have you learn to avoid it.

I go out after dark and even then I avoid certain areas. Mostly Farong areas.

It is a shame when the Farongs carry some thing to the point where they want the Government to control one of their National religious holidays.

Ban it completely and there will still be murders,

When you have lived here as long as I have you don't refer to FARANGS as farong, falung or faleng ... it's FARANG !!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i could not resist !

• Like 1

Why is the news from Thailand always saturated with these messages? It seems that the authors of these articles, enjoy it, to bring this to the attention. They thus harm the self image of Thailand but also the image of Thailand as a touristic country. Should bad news, just be the news. Whether it is positive in Thailand, no news? When they go there in the media to think about it? With good news, I mean no puppet news, but really positive news from and by the population. I love Thailand but it is a bad case of the media to feed Thailand on a daily basis, with this kind of news. And it make it all so cheap. (RIP victim)

Sure I get tired of being soaked but it's a great festival and don't think it should be changed at all. The road accients and very small handful of assults is no doubt sad but I love this country for just taking things to the next level. You know Songkran is going to happen so it's not as if it's a surprise - if you don't like it just batton down your hatches and call 1112. If you do like it then just be grateful that you are living in this crazy whacky country where they like to have fun.

Hundreds of funerals later this week where the families won't be having much fun.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

I've no doubt this will become a trend! Next year we won't be counting deaths by wreckless and drunk driving, but the number of murders. sad.png

It really is time to clamp down and control the revelling. Limit it to controlled areas, where those who want an official soaking go to meet.

-mel.

You are free to leave of living here is no longer enjoyable for you. Some of us are happy to join in with the fun. And don't forget that these are isolated incidents. Millions have enjoyed themselves. You get deaths and major events in almost all countries. Just look at the UK and USA. There are plenty getting shot and knifed every day, not just during festivals. A few isolated incidents, even if really bad, is no reason to ban a popular festival. The solution is to stop the idiots, not spoil the fun for the law-abiding people. It is the idiots that are the problem, not Songkran. Idiots are everywhere. Some of you boring expats would ban almost every activity of you could. If you don't like it here, then just leave instead of constantly complaining.

This forum is an avenue for people to express their opinions whether you like it or not. In addition, in Thailand there are many complaining foreigners, always has been, always will be. I suggest if you don't like it you move yourself permanently back to where you came from or to a country where expats don't complain.

You're too funny. Just like the person you're now scolding, you too express your opinion and also suggest he leave Thailand.

Heard of SARCASM?

-mel.

It is a shame when the Farongs carry some thing to the point where they want the Government to control one of their National religious holidays.

When you have lived here as long as I have you don't refer to FARANGS as farong, falung or faleng ... it's FARANG !!!!!!!!!!!!

And the more polite / classy way to say it is "khon dtang prathet"

• Like 2

I don't want to begrudge anyone, Thai or farang, their reasonable fun...

But those having fun need to show some respect as well... There are times when people, Thai and farang alike, REALLY don't want to get soaked... Like the Thai guy in the OP who was headed for a funeral... Or people working at their jobs... etc etc...

But too often, the water revelers, Thai and farang alike, are drunk off their *****s and don't care what they do to other people. You ask not to get drenched, and invariably in Bangkok, some idiot still drenches you with water.

There are times when I want to go out and play water. There are times I want to stay dry. The revelers really need to respect that, or things are going to get worse and worse.

This year, I stayed at home for Song Kran, because I knew there's no way I'd make it up or down my soi without getting soaked.

I agree that the Songkran participants need to show some discretion in their water splashing. It shows in some cases a disgregard for others safety for some childish sense of fun. I went to Bumrungrad hospital during Songkran and saw some teenagers/children throwing water on persons going to the hospital. While waiting for a doctor I saw several people sitting in the waiting room with soaked clothing. What excuse for fun justifies throwing dirty water on sick people? While in Nonthaburi I was following two women on a motorcycle with a one or two year old child between them. They were splashed in front of me and nearly fell off the bike; again by teenagers and children, not drunken adults. Maybe public service spots on TV discussing appropriate behavior during the festival would help. It seems to help in other countries. If not, perhaps the concept of respect should be introduced in the schools.

"Meanwhile, a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday for dancing topless at a party in Ayutthaya"

This must raise an interesting legal point. At what point does a man not wearing a shirt constitute a crime even if he has stuck a pair of fake breasts on his chest????

Does this mean they are going to start arresting all those Farang Bodybuilders in Pattaya that like to walk along without a shirt. Their boobs are as big as the ladyboys.

Sounds a good idea. 5555555

• Like 2

I'm Thai - Kreng jai, mai bpen rai, wai,

I'm arrogant, selfish, vain, I'm thai,

I'm beautiful, tough, insane, mai cow jai,

I smile all day, and wait for Song Kran, I die...mai bpen

rai, I'm Thai.

Amen.........vampire.gif

Yeh I have oftened wondered what kind of legal implacation that would surround this type of thing. I still haven't figured out what bathrooms they use and if that would be considered illegal. Then there is the prison factor....while I strongly believe that they are free to do what they want at what point do we hold them accountable for actions that we would considered to be illegal for each gender. So, I would agree with you, this brings an interesting question to the legal issues.

Yes it brings up a couple of interesting points.

I am not entirely sure if a ladyboy can get 'interesting points' even if cold water is used though I am sure there are some experts here who can enlighten me.

Having seen the pictures of this incident on Matichon, albeit with 'interesting points' blacked out it is very clear that the police applied common sense rather than necessarily the rule of the law though that is a whole different argument going on in a Thaksin related thread somewhere.

Edited by Orac

Sure I get tired of being soaked but it's a great festival and don't think it should be changed at all. The road accients and very small handful of assults is no doubt sad but I love this country for just taking things to the next level. You know Songkran is going to happen so it's not as if it's a surprise - if you don't like it just batton down your hatches and call 1112. If you do like it then just be grateful that you are living in this crazy whacky country where they like to have fun.

Hundreds of funerals later this week where the families won't be having much fun.

What a idiotic statement.

There are hundreds of funerals every week where the family's might not be having munch fun.

-mel.

And the more polite / classy way to say it is "khon dtang prathet"

Thought it's Khon Dtang Tchart....vampire.gif

• Like 1

You are free to leave of living here is no longer enjoyable for you. Some of us are happy to join in with the fun. And don't forget that these are isolated incidents. Millions have enjoyed themselves. You get deaths and major events in almost all countries. Just look at the UK and USA. There are plenty getting shot and knifed every day, not just during festivals.

Ahh.. the 'You May Leave Its Not Your Country"-trump card! Be assured that the other millions of Thais are not enjoying themselves! The whole Thai New Year has gotten out of hand, turned in a tyranny of the drunk. It's getting too dangerous, also for a lot of Thais who are hiding in their homes for 3/4 days and should they leave as well?

Meanwhile tens-of-millions of Thais are having a great time. You're not .... but they are.

I'm sure there are some of you TV posters that have been here long enough to remember the days of CLEAN scented / flower-laced water GENTLY tossed from VERY SMALL "pahn" .... that was not only extremely enjoyable, it was cooling, and a show of respect to ANYONE older than the person sprinkling the water. Those of you that have "rote nahm " on elders palms whilst wishing them a great new year and health actually have an idea what Songkran means. Or being in your community temple on Songkran morning... etc., etc. So.... yes, I agree that the whole idea of arbitrarily tossing water has gotten WAAAAY out of hand and DANGEROUS. RIP folks that have passed on due to some of this madness....

Yesterday, my wife and 2 pickup loads of family drove 80 km from the village to a huge temple to do just that.

Showing respect to the monks and elders. Not a tourist in site.

• Like 2

-mel.

I was tired of it after my first day last year. Smelly dirty drunken people trying to touch my face and get crap thrown in my eyes. Just sounds like a bar brawl.

Barbaric!

No, just Thai.

We foreigners shuld not complain, among themselves they are worse.

So for you it's normal that an older poor Thai man (who was going to a funeral ! ) didn't like that they sprinkled water over him and therefore got killed !? wacko.png

Business as usual....

In Chumphon, 58-year-old Piak Thongsakul was found dead, with Bt1,300 apparently stolen. Quoting witnesses, police said Piak was on his way to a funeral when he was drenched with water by a man, estimated to be around 25 years of age, who had been throwing water at passers-by.

Ironic that a man with a name litterally translated , means 'wet', died during a water festival!

R.I.P.

Sad and stupid killings.

About the ladyboy, it is outrageous!! They feel like women since they are very young and even after doing a complete sex change they are officially men. Men who cannot marry other men legally. You just cannot fine a ladyboy for showing the tits if you don't grant her the rest of things granted for women.

Whereas it is extremely sad that even one person loses their life, when the media can only report 3 deaths by violence (arguable that the shooting incident with the bike gangs could have happened anytime) over the last 4 days of full-on partying linked to Songkran to me speaks for itself.

How many others nationwide have been killed violently during this period? Who cares, this is not sensational/Songkran linked! We are talking about 10's of millions of people taking part in the Songkran parties all over the country, the vast majority of them enjoying their holidays.

What I have seen through this thread is mostly digs at the irresponsibilty of the Thais, backed by the participation of the Farang tourist; most of which come to this country at this time of year just for the fun, that take it to an unacceptable level. B0ll0cks!

Get out of the capital, get out of the tourist areas to see how much fun it can be, without the Falang tourist.

By all means ban the water throwing, ban alcohol as well and see how far you get with that. Standby for the battle between the Hub of Health and the Hub of Tourism!

As said before, it is regretable that even one person gets injured let alone killed, but sadly these are the facts of today's modern life.

Interesting point indeed- since Thai ID still refers/ always refer to him as male.

What a idiotic statement.

There are hundreds of funerals every week where the family's might not be having munch fun.

Yes and they are usually death by natural causes. I was commenting on the hundreds of funerals coming up due to the lunatic behaviour during songkran, usually drunk driving. Thats the idiocy!

• Like 1

We all saw obese men with bigger boobs than most Thai women at the pool. At what point do these guys need to wear a bra,- tripple DDD?

• Like 2