3 Murders As Songkran In Thailand Turns Ugly

webfact

Sad and stupid killings.

About the ladyboy, it is outrageous!! They feel like women since they are very young and even after doing a complete sex change they are officially men. Men who cannot marry other men legally. You just cannot fine a ladyboy for showing the tits if you don't grant her the rest of things granted for women.

How does a Kratoey/ladyboy even figure in an article about violent death?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Business as usual....

In Chumphon, 58-year-old Piak Thongsakul was found dead, with Bt1,300 apparently stolen. Quoting witnesses, police said Piak was on his way to a funeral when he was drenched with water by a man, estimated to be around 25 years of age, who had been throwing water at passers-by.

Ironic that a man with a name litterally translated , means 'wet', died during a water festival!

R.I.P.

Despite his name's meaning, unfortunately he didn't die. He was killed by a drunken thug, out of its brains, who decided to chase him and knock him senseless because he didn't want to get wet on his way to a funeral. That's LOS harsher side of Songkran which the revellers kindly write off as an accepted part of the revelling..... indeed. angry.png

-mel

• Like 1

Sure I get tired of being soaked but it's a great festival and don't think it should be changed at all. The road accients and very small handful of assults is no doubt sad but I love this country for just taking things to the next level. You know Songkran is going to happen so it's not as if it's a surprise - if you don't like it just batton down your hatches and call 1112. If you do like it then just be grateful that you are living in this crazy whacky country where they like to have fun.

Hundreds of funerals later this week where the families won't be having much fun.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

What a idiotic statement.

There are hundreds of funerals every week where the family's might not be having munch fun.

Yes and they are usually death by natural causes. I was commenting on the hundreds of funerals coming up due to the lunatic behaviour during songkran, usually drunk driving. Thats the idiocy!

+1

The Thais know how to have a good time ? If you look at the people taking part in "the party", you see Thais well under thirty years of age from the lowest tier in society + a big group of farangs 50+, who don't even realize that the Thais find their ponytails and overall behaviour ridicilious. Those are the same farangs, who tell posters here to go home, if you don't enjoy their Neanderthal-games.

+2

Edited by KireB
  • Like 1

The Thais know how to have a good time ? If you look at the people taking part in "the party", you see Thais well under thirty years of age from the lowest tier in society + a big group of farangs 50+, who don't even realize that the Thais find their ponytails and overall behaviour ridicilious. Those are the same farangs, who tell posters here to go home, if you don't enjoy their Neanderthal-games.

That may have been the view you had from behind you barricaded doors, but where I was the range was between 7 and 70, mostly Thai's but the majority of ex-pats getting involved. Zero incidents of violence related to the "partying" that I am aware of over the 3 day period. Guess-timation of about 300,000 people involved over the period.

Road accidents are another thing, but never saw any myself.

I think it was MEL 1 among others that suggested having designated areas for water throwing, which deep down I agree with.

However, I always see a danger about restricted areas. I could relate these to being in a nightclub that is properly controlled and everything runs smoothly. However when it comes to kicking out time and the customers are thrown out into an uncontrolled area, any small resentments in the controlled area have had time to grow into major issues to be resolved in the uncontrolled areas.

Perhaps free-flow works and we don't get the buildup of emotions? This is obviously only my viewpoint on what could happen.

Pros & Cons.

Long hailed as a pinnacle of Thai culture Songkran is actually nothing more than a barbaric custom of street violence perpetuated on everybody. The fact that "it's only water" serves as an excuse and it's not true as firstly, it's not only water but cold water, ice, water mixed with chemicals, colors and who knows what. I'm sure this stuff causes many people to get eye and skin infections but they go unreported. Water in buckets splashed full force at approaching motor-bike riders causes numerous accidents. I experienced this myself on my first Songkran when 10kg of water hit my chest, blinded me and almost caused me to crash. Secondly it's also the powder and other stuff being rubbed into other people heads, bodies and clothes that surely is not harmless. What's the damage to the clothes, cars and motor-bikes alone is worth every year? And the main point is that there is no reprieve from it, it doesn't matter what you do, where you are going and what are your intentions on that day you going to "get it". It may be okie for those who enjoy it. But why this has to be inflicted on those who don't? Maybe the ones who want to do that should gather in certain part of the city, like some park or another open area but it's not all right to inflict this on the ones who don't wish to engage .. sorry .. to "celebrate". I suspect that one of the reasons people attack others "with water" on the day is that are furious somebody else done this to them before. So, the custom lives on but, together with other violent manifestations of the past "culture" like for instance bull fighting in Spain, isn't it time to have a sober look at it and do away with it? Or at least start voicing the objections for them to be heard?

• Like 1

This sort of madness comes and goes, rather like fashions. I can remember the time in England when my local beauty spot would be overrun on bank holidays by warring mobs of Mods and Rockers. The police would just cordon off the area and move in afterwards to remove the carnage.

I suspect Songkran will reach a peak and then be replaced with some new self destructive festival. loy krathong seems to be gently heading that way.

I think that is part of the agenda for the foreign missionaries. Get rid of all these Buddhist festivals and replace them with Christian ones munch as they did to get the Christian celebrations they have today.

laugh.pngclap2.gifblink.png

Heh, heh!!! Yes, let's all convert and get our glass-tipped whips out so we can self-flagellate ourselves during "special" holidays...

Business as usual....

In Chumphon, 58-year-old Piak Thongsakul was found dead, with Bt1,300 apparently stolen. Quoting witnesses, police said Piak was on his way to a funeral when he was drenched with water by a man, estimated to be around 25 years of age, who had been throwing water at passers-by.

Ironic that a man with a name litterally translated , means 'wet', died during a water festival!

R.I.P.

Despite his name's meaning, unfortunately he didn't die. He was killed by a drunken thug, out of its brains, who decided to chase him and knock him senseless because he didn't want to get wet on his way to a funeral. That's LOS harsher side of Songkran which the revellers kindly write off as an accepted part of the revelling..... indeed. angry.png

-mel

Quite an assumption Mel that he was drunk, out of his head, but unfortunately probably a good guess. I didn't see this in the article.

It could also be that he was wasted on Ya-Ba or any other mind-bending drug. Or is Songkran a drug-free period, and I have no idea what drugs could lead a person to do?

• Like 1

That may have been the view you had from behind you barricaded doors, but where I was the range was between 7 and 70, mostly Thai's but the majority of ex-pats getting involved. Zero incidents of violence related to the "partying" that I am aware of over the 3 day period. Guess-timation of about 300,000 people involved over the period.

Road accidents involving alcohol are an act of violence and believe me that the majority of Thais is fed up with the escalation of the Songkran festival. The majority of Thais, does not take it to the streets and does not get drunk, is not loud and obnoxious and does not turn into complete idiots violating the rights of other people and their properties. It is, and this is a personal observation, the lower tier of society, similar to those who holiday in Disco buses, that are ruining the Songkran spirit and fun! The majority of Thais wished that Songkran would be what it once was: a festival of respect with fun, family, and a nice party!

• Like 1

Business as usual....

R.I.P.

-mel

'he didn't die' What amazing luck! Probably having lunch with his family right now! Go home Mel... if you are able to.Thailand is not for you.

• Like 1

"Sawadee bi mai" all in the name of fun, gets better ever year!!

yes indeed, a 15 year old girl lying in a pool of her own blood with a limb hanging off just after crashing into a pick up to avoid some drunks throwing water on a main road...my thoughts were just like yours when I saw it yesterday.."all in the name of fun, gets better every year!!"... and those guys parking on a three lane dual carriageway throwing water across two lanes to the motorbike on the overtaking lane... "all in the name of fun, gets better every year!!"

Edited by SPIKECM

How many people know that Thailand is ranking FOURTH in the world for number of murders pro capita?...Big surprise isn't it?Truth is there is a huge underneath violence, and when the standard smiles cracks, anything can happen, without any warning.Land of smile, land of murder....May be a good slogan for the next TAT campaing to promote tourisme??!!...

yes indeed, a 15 year old girl lying in a pool of her own blood with a limb hanging off just after crashing into a pick up to avoid some drunks throwing water on a main road...my thoughts were just like yours when I saw it yesterday.."all in the name of fun, gets better every year!!"... and those guys parking on a three lane dual carriageway throwing water across two lanes to the motorbike on the overtaking lane... "all in the name of fun, gets better every year!!"

Been here 10 years . Try and change it! Cuts down the population. Like Late 70's Quatermass.

Meanwhile, a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday for dancing topless at a party in Ayutthaya, after relatives delivered him to police. Sarawuth Sapharb, 20, was roundly criticised after video clips of him dancing were posted online.

????

A transvestite is a guy that dresses up in women's clothing right?

Once the dress and bra is off, he is still a guy, right?

Why then would a shirtless guy be considered offensive? People are walking around shirtless all the time.

Do they mean a guy with fake boobs? If so that would be a transgender, wouldn't it?

You would think so but maybe the police thought he was just another flat chested Thai girl...!

For me over time Songkran has lost a lot of it's appeal, even for my family. At first I admit it was great fun but as time goes by it becomes more of a ritual. Like Christmas, it's really for kids.

Edited by bigbamboo

Business as usual....

R.I.P.

-mel

Quite an assumption Mel that he was drunk, out of his head, but unfortunately probably a good guess. I didn't see this in the article.

It could also be that he was wasted on Ya-Ba or any other mind-bending drug. Or is Songkran a drug-free period, and I have no idea what drugs could lead a person to do?

"In one, a 58-year-old man in Chumphon was clubbed to death by a drunken reveller for objecting to being drenched with water."

----- It's the third line on page 1 of the report... ;)

I was going to comment additionally about the use of Ya-Ba too...... but I wouldn't be uncontextual.

-mel. :)

Been here 10 years . Try and change it! Cuts down the population. Like Late 70's Quatermass.

I've been here more than 10 years and I wouldn't try to change a thing, not that I could if I wanted to. It has nothing to do with changing things to believe that the needless deaths of hundreds of young people is plainly not "good fun" .... it is in fact rather tragic.. no matter what culture you come from. Not that it is down to culture anyway ... it's just the elite protecting the status quo by making sure that the Hoi Poloi have their fun.... after all, when do you see the police actually protecting anyone here?

I agree with a previous poster, these kind of celebrations need to be confined to designated areas, so as to allow those who wish to go about their normal business to do so in peace-like the man who was on his way to attend a funeral.

Absolutely needs to be confined to zones and perhaps limited to just a few days. I am very surprised that more violence related to the attacks are not reported. Where else but Thailand are you free to physically assault people with brackish water, ice, ice water while throwing same at motorcycles riding on the street?

And directing a pressure water hose into motor cyclist face. These are the stupid actions that we are complaining about, not just a small pan full of water being thrown

Road accidents involving alcohol are an act of violence and believe me that the majority of Thais is fed up with the escalation of the Songkran festival. The majority of Thais, does not take it to the streets and does not get drunk, is not loud and obnoxious and does not turn into complete idiots violating the rights of other people and their properties. It is, and this is a personal observation, the lower tier of society, similar to those who holiday in Disco buses, that are ruining the Songkran spirit and fun! The majority of Thais wished that Songkran would be what it once was: a festival of respect with fun, family, and a nice party!

A road accident is by the general wording, an accident whether alcohol or drugs are involved or not.

Whereas I rate one life lost as one to many, take a look at the actual figures you are being presented with during Songkran. Take away from the published figures the daily average of deaths and injuries on the roads. Add to this the increase in vehicles using the roads during this period as the mass migration of people happens when they travel back to their provinces.

And then add to the revised numbers the drink related accidents that happened.As already said, one death is too many..........

Business as usual....

R.I.P.

-mel

"In one, a 58-year-old man in Chumphon was clubbed to death by a drunken reveller for objecting to being drenched with water."

----- It's the third line on page 1 of the report... ;)

I was going to comment additionally about the use of Ya-Ba too...... but I wouldn't be uncontextual.

-mel. :)

Apols Mel, was reading further down the article! Dam_n, time to change the goggles again!

Business as usual....

R.I.P.

-mel

'he didn't die' What amazing luck! Probably having lunch with his family right now! Go home Mel... if you are able to.Thailand is not for you.

You idiot!

He didn't die. He was killed. There's a huge difference. Can't you understand the difference? I think you either need to learn to comprehend English or go home yourself back to school to learn comprehension. Please tell me you're not a back-packing teacher, for Christ's sake!! ohmy.png

mel.

Edit: Oh! go on!..... he was killed by death, in your book.

Thank you for the compliment! Coming from you it surely is a compliment! Nah man. Been here 10 years now. Just like to hook a fish on TV now and then! You're right ....he didn't die. He was killed and then died, or didn't! Murdered, slaughtered uneccasarily, victim of someone you assume is ......oh whatever..... you know more than I. But FYI.... if you are killed....you die. Idiot!wink.png

Yes it's annoying to pedestrians, potentially dangerous to motorcyclists, but life here would be much less fun if the police were able to actually control anything on such a large scale - let's hear it for chaos, that's what's so great about this place!

Yes people die, maybe you or me, but we're choosing to live in a place where life is cheap, AFATC ours cheapest of all.

Just arrange your life so you don't have any "business" to take care of during that time, stock up on what you need and hide indoors if it bothers you that much. If you do go out, wear the clothes you'd use when housepainting and ziploc your stuff.

And just keep smiling, no point in raising your bloodpressure of stuff you can't change.

"a male transvestite was fined Bt500 yesterday" , so a "man" cannot show his upper body anymore ?

AFAIC a shirtless kateuy of any flavor, as well as a fat straight guy, is infinitely more obscene than a real girl going topless, so I'm all for strict enforcement of all but the latter.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Sure I get tired of being soaked but it's a great festival and don't think it should be changed at all. The road accients and very small handful of assults is no doubt sad but I love this country for just taking things to the next level. You know Songkran is going to happen so it's not as if it's a surprise - if you don't like it just batton down your hatches and call 1112. If you do like it then just be grateful that you are living in this crazy whacky country where they like to have fun.

Hundreds of funerals later this week where the families won't be having much fun.

What a idiotic statement.

There are hundreds of funerals every week where the family's might not be having munch fun.

The few funerals have attended here have not been that bad in "sadness" compare to us "farang"....

I mean, a funeral here is just another excuse to get drunk, eat free and gamble.....

SONGKRAN: A festival that was originally designed to show respect has been perverted into an excuse for people to act like complete morons for an entire week. What is wrong with people, see this asshol_e spraying a lady driving a motor bike in the face at close range with a water cannon, he should be arrested for assault. But the mentality is, this is all done in "fun", She could have easily wrecked her bike and been seriously hurt. But, nothing will be done about this insanity. I really feel sorry for the 58 year old guy on his way to a funeral, I was once totally soaked about 10pm at night near Nana Plaza by an idiot like the guy who attacked him, he was just looking for a fight, I have never been so angry. He was a big Thai guy with long hair over 6 feet tall and much bigger than me, I calmed down and walked away but wanted to go back and for revenge:

fool.jpg

If anybody does this to me, i will drive straight at him.....regardless. Maybe next time he will target the body.