Teak Tree Plantations

Looking at some farmland that has a teak tree plantaion, about 500 trees on 10 rai.

Trees are currently about 25cm diameter and have been told they are worth about 400k if we sold them now.

Sound reasonable?

Any idea of what the price would be and how big they would be in 10 years?

BE VERY CAREFUL

It is one of the most infamous scams, where a Thai will offer you a piece of land with Teak-Trees on it.

Unless this vendor (seller) has applied-for and obtained the correct documentation BEFORE he planted these tree; you are not allowed to cut them down ! ! ! !

So; please be very careful and engage a bona-fide lawyer BEFORE spending any money ! !

Cheers !

JaapFries

• Like 1

BE VERY CAREFUL

It is one of the most infamous scams, where a Thai will offer you a piece of land with Teak-Trees on it.

Unless this vendor (seller) has applied-for and obtained the correct documentation BEFORE he planted these tree; you are not allowed to cut them down ! ! ! !

So; please be very careful and engage a bona-fide lawyer BEFORE spending any money ! !

Cheers !

JaapFries

Very true, trees need to be certifed form start to finish. Check everything twice. In saying that if all is done legally there is good money to be make from teak if you have the time.

Who sells good land and legal trees cheap is the first question I would ask. As in all things in Thailand step carefully and get the best lawyer you can find before parting with one Baht. Jim

BE VERY CAREFUL

Cheers !

JaapFries

Very true, trees need to be certifed form start to finish. Check everything twice. In saying that if all is done legally there is good money to be make from teak if you have the time.

Who sells good land and legal trees cheap is the first question I would ask. As in all things in Thailand step carefully and get the best lawyer you can find before parting with one Baht. Jim

Good Information, good to know before investing in other's property and land..

Edited by rkdrkd

Anyone know how badly do Teak Trees affect the soil after they have been cut ? We have 19 Rai being offered to us at 40,000 baht / Rai. Chanote Land. Literally bordering our land so would be easy to bring into our farm. Used to be Teak Trees. Now just stumps. 18 months unused land.

Would take I think 50,000 baht maybe to clear all the stumps from the ground. Just curious to know how quickly I could turn this land around and grow crops. Sugarcane. Would you have to leave the ground for an additional couple of years after taking out all the stumps ?

Any help be useful. Joker.

• 5 months later...

Some years ago I tried to get the paperwork done to be allowed to start a teak plantation. As a falang was involved, my wife has my falang name in her docs, there was no way to get the permit. At the end I was told that I should just do it, but I will never be allowed to cut the trees down unless a 50% share with some officals..... I planted teak trees to mark the border of a part of our land, not to cut them down.

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

Can anybody please tell me what the correct documentation and land status has to be to grow teak trees?

billd,

sorry for the late reply... hope your questions have been answered in the interim.

We have remaining 24 rai of teak trees that are 20 yrs. old. You need a proper chanote with the updated / latest GPS coordinates on it and permission to plant from the Forestry Administration Organization (after they survey the plot) - they will then give you a registry paper. Somewhere along the way - whilst the trees are maturing - you can obtain a tree stamp for when you want to harvest the trees.

The downside? The Thai law states that one can not export raw wood (ANY TYPE) from Thailand. One can only export finished wood products. The present price of one cubic meter of teak in EU is EU $ 5,000.00!!! And that is for raw timber. But the whole of the ASEAN community is now adopting the law where only finished products are allowed. In the Scandinavian sector, only finished teak products are allowed to enter (import) the area. I was close to closing deals with EU customers for raw teak but the Thai laws (which were not enforced before) have now stopped me. Now I have to deal with the incountry millers at a much lower price.... ermm.gif

Thank you for the update.

Sadly at this point we do not have full chanotr and so that plan will go on hold for a while.

The land department have given chanote to some places and are about 3 km from us but have stopped pending something or other.

Our land backs on to the Mae Wong National park so that may have something to do with it too.

Can anybody please tell me what the correct documentation and land status has to be to grow teak trees?

billd,

sorry for the late reply... hope your questions have been answered in the interim.

We have remaining 24 rai of teak trees that are 20 yrs. old. You need a proper chanote with the updated / latest GPS coordinates on it and permission to plant from the Forestry Administration Organization (after they survey the plot) - they will then give you a registry paper. Somewhere along the way - whilst the trees are maturing - you can obtain a tree stamp for when you want to harvest the trees.

The downside? The Thai law states that one can not export raw wood (ANY TYPE) from Thailand. One can only export finished wood products. The present price of one cubic meter of teak in EU is EU $ 5,000.00!!! And that is for raw timber. But the whole of the ASEAN community is now adopting the law where only finished products are allowed. In the Scandinavian sector, only finished teak products are allowed to enter (import) the area. I was close to closing deals with EU customers for raw teak but the Thai laws (which were not enforced before) have now stopped me. Now I have to deal with the incountry millers at a much lower price.... ermm.gif

Thank you for the update.

Sadly at this point we do not have full chanotr and so that plan will go on hold for a while.

The land department have given chanote to some places and are about 3 km from us but have stopped pending something or other.

Our land backs on to the Mae Wong National park so that may have something to do with it too.

Yes, it probably would. Good luck with your endeavors!