Recommend A Cool Part Of Bkk For A Three Month Stay.........

Thighlander

Victory Monument area to the Ratchaprarop side fits that bill, but it is Thai neighborhoods so knowing some of the language is helpful. I don't drink, but from the other prices beers might even be cheaper. Haircut/shave bt60, street food bt20-bt50, arobics in the park bt10 for 45 minutes, motorbike to the BTS bt20, rent with electric/water bt7400, or cheaper, or more expensive it just depends. Laundry bt20 kilo, lots of street vendors, lots of community atmosphere, lots of 7-11s, Much cheaper than anything on lower Sukhumvit. Taxi to lower Sukhumvit bt60, Movie theater 15 minutes away, shopping complex 15 minutes, van transport to most places 20 minutes walk, lots of medical at Thai prices in the area. Airport BTS a 10 minute walk. Lots of massage shops, and karaoke bars. Main garment area 1/2 kilometer away.

I've lived in this area for over a year, and am very happy, also it was above any flooding. It is a very relaxing area with everything one wants close by.

• Like 1

Can also recommend the area around On Nut BTS. Rent is ok (about 6,500 for a studio), there's a wee night market/beer garden at the foot of the BTS station (big bottles cost about Baht 80/bottle), food is plentiful and delicious...

Taxi from Nana / Asok area costs about Baht 80 (late evenings).

Good mix of Thais and foreigners (approx. 80%/20% respectively).

• Like 1

It all depends on budget. Any area that is close to BTS or MRT is 'cool', and the rental prices reflect this. To be honest you'd be hard pushed to notice any real difference in any of the areas but I'd be looking for something close to Bearing station now. Bearing is less developed and more 'Thai' than any other of the BTS areas. Also, you are guaranteed a seat when you catch the BTS because it is the starting point of the journey. Although once full you MUST stand for elderly or children. If you have a budget of only 5000THB per month for rent then you can get a serviced apartment with air con (studio room). If you have a budget of 10k or over you can get yourself something very nice. You will need your translation device for use in restaurants (I use bing translate on my WP7 just let the cam look at the thai text and it translates it into English). Another reason I'd suggest Bearing is that because of the lack of farang there you will be ripped off far less. Taxis will always turn their meters on (without you having to ask first), restaurants only have the one menu (not the two menu systems where you pay three times more for food if you're farang). People are much more friendly towards you and the crime rates are lower in Bearing and surrounding areas. Victory monument is a nice area if you want to be surrounded by western influence. As a previous poster said On Nut is a very good area, with some fantastic apartments and brilliant markets. Just always make sure you're within walking distance of BTS or MRT and all areas are good.

I would not recommend VM for a variety of reasons, mainly it's worn and very crowded. ThongLor not going to find any 6.5 flats. Phra Kanong might fill the bill, but if you are early riser or a light sleeper you have the mosque to contend with. KSR and lower Sukumvhit would suck IMO. Out by Queen Sirikhit, but hardly meets def of "cool". Huay Kwang / Pacaharatbampen is VERY VERY crowded with cars, esp night time.

"Cool" costs money generally. Lat Phrao or Pohan Yotin, lots going on there (building/malls) but hardly "cool". Stops are closer to Chatachok Market.

My suggestion is to come down and stay wherever and YOU can decide what works for you. I really like my area and seen a flood of farang in here in the last year+

It all depends on budget. Any area that is close to BTS or MRT is 'cool', and the rental prices reflect this. To be honest you'd be hard pushed to notice any real difference in any of the areas but I'd be looking for something close to Bearing station now. Bearing is less developed and more 'Thai' than any other of the BTS areas. Also, you are guaranteed a seat when you catch the BTS because it is the starting point of the journey. Although once full you MUST stand for elderly or children. If you have a budget of only 5000THB per month for rent then you can get a serviced apartment with air con (studio room). If you have a budget of 10k or over you can get yourself something very nice. You will need your translation device for use in restaurants (I use bing translate on my WP7 just let the cam look at the thai text and it translates it into English). Another reason I'd suggest Bearing is that because of the lack of farang there you will be ripped off far less. Taxis will always turn their meters on (without you having to ask first), restaurants only have the one menu (not the two menu systems where you pay three times more for food if you're farang). People are much more friendly towards you and the crime rates are lower in Bearing and surrounding areas. Victory monument is a nice area if you want to be surrounded by western influence. As a previous poster said On Nut is a very good area, with some fantastic apartments and brilliant markets. Just always make sure you're within walking distance of BTS or MRT and all areas are good.

I live in Silom and every taxi I've ever been in here has turned the meter on. It's usually only taxis parked outside hotels and tourists attractions that don't want to use the meter. Even getting taxis in other parts of Bangkok they've always turned the meter on.

"To be honest you'd be hard pushed to notice any real difference in any of the areas" Are you serious. Different parts of Bangkok are vastly different. Even different streets in the same area can be very different.

cool to me is 3 large Tigers for 129 thb, something like that. rent about 6k per month, and decent utility rates. Lots of street food. Easy to walk....

So when you say cool, you actually mean cheap?

What about Lad Prao?

I second north city areas along mrt thai culture center station upwards, huay kwang, sutthisan, phahon yothin, lad phrao. Further north along ratchada and off the smaller sois it gets more thai than many are used to but lots of great places and quick to get to asoke or sukhumvit. Great food, more reasonable prices, lots of shopping centers and friendlier people.

cool to me is 3 large Tigers for 129 thb, something like that. rent about 6k per month, and decent utility rates. Lots of street food. Easy to walk....

Sutthisan is probably good for you. Saw a few places advertising 4500-7000 a month around the mrt. Get off there and walk around a bit. There is a market near the muangthon insurance building about 150-200 meters from mrt.

Sutthisan is OK, it would be cheap. Not easy to find a place near MRT from my wanderings though. If you are up there and that is OK w/ you, Lat Phrao have a look and the malls around Pohan Yotin are chock-a-bloc with eye candy.

I like being a stop or two outside the madness personally. Was just down on Wireless yesterday and walked back to MRT. Can't tell you how much I hated it, if you live in this grubby area you will be taken as a first time tourist every time you step out your door. The place is rife is crappy little dramas. From what I understand SC is a better bet these days anyway.

To summarize - sounds as if you are looking for a neighborhood without farang ammens. My choice for you would be: On Nut or stops above PraRam9. You may have luck from On Nut back to the new end of the line, but do not follow Suk straight out, it's not very pleasant.

Maybe out by Ramhamkaeng Univ? Its worn but its got flava?

Here is a tip: I almost took this place but ended up doing something else. More or less across from On Nut shopping mall there is a soi that runs back (dead end) with a bunch of flats. I found a nice place at the very end, left side. Has a pkg lot. Rent was reasonable and had internet as well. That is about all I recall. There are loads of little places in Phra Kanong.

thanks for the responses. Funny thing is, when I first visited in 1998, I selected a hotel from a website, and it was near the Thai Cultural Center...the Watana Mansion. It was just like everyone said. They made me feel like family. After a few days, the young ladies had convinced me to move to Sukhumvit and I became hooked (no pun intended). Prices have gone up, and some of the best places have literally been steam rolled. Just not my scene any more..it's gotten expensive. So, if I am picking a place based on its closeness to lower Suk., that would be a mistake, and

thanks for the responses. Funny thing is, when I first visited in 1998, I selected a hotel from a website, and it was near the Thai Cultural Center...the Watana Mansion. It was just like everyone said. They made me feel like family. After a few days, the young ladies had convinced me to move to Sukhumvit and I became hooked (no pun intended). Prices have gone up, and some of the best places have literally been steam rolled. Just not my scene any more..it's gotten expensive. So, if I am picking a place based on its closeness to lower Suk., that would be a mistake, and

I would hope to find a place in BKK, where going to Suk is not the best option.