Best Reasonably Priced Beach Resort

brit1984

My friend from back home is coming to Thailand for 2 weeks in August. He is bringing his girlfriend and just wants to find a nice beach resort to relax. His girlfriend wants the beach to be beautiful and he wants to avoid backpackers and sex tourists. Is it realistic that he could find a nice hotel in a nice place, with direct beach access, for under 5k THB per night? Any suggestions?

Plenty and I can't see them having a problem with backpackers at 5000 baht a night.

You didn't mention if they were looking for nightlife or other entertainment which might limit there choices - without I can recommend The Dewa on Koh Chang.

Plenty and I can't see them having a problem with backpackers at 5000 baht a night.

You didn't mention if they were looking for nightlife or other entertainment which might limit there choices - without I can recommend The Dewa on Koh Chang.

Thanks very much for the recommendation

To clarify, they do not require any nightlife - just a nice hotel and nice beach

For under 5000 baht per night, there are lots of choices.

All beachfront resorts:

KC Grande Resort on Koh Chang is nice.

Chaweng Villa on Koh Samui, also good.

Lanta Pavillion Resort on Koh Lanta. Beach good, but a lot of rocks in the water in front of the hotel. Short walk down the beach to get rock free swimming area. Very quiet.

Good luck and enjoy.

I like this guys website: http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

They might want to consider Bang Tao. Some resorts are out of their price range, but some are not. Phuket has lots of great beaches if you avoid Patong.

Problem is August is right in the middle of rainy season. If you're lucky, you'll get some sun...but don't count on much and the water is REALLY rough. It's bad in Phuket and Chang for sure. Not so sure about Samui. Koh Phangan has too many backpackers for me. Pretty much same with Koh Tao.

Some other areas might be Ban Kruit? Bang Saphan?

Thanks very much for the recommendation

To clarify, they do not require any nightlife - just a nice hotel and nice beach

Koh Chang would be a very nice spot and can get some great rooms right on the beach well within the budget. I recommend the Koh Chang Paradise Beach Resort. My wife and I have stayed there numerous times and it would suit your friends' needs very nicely at about 2500 per night. Beautiful resort with a nice clean beach!

You are into the rainy season so basically, you are screwed. Koh Tao which is not a very pretty island and lacks beaches. Samui - crappy, overpriced and very, very touristy and Phanghan - backpacker central. Koh Chang isn't that great and it is out of the way so to speak so it is a purpose trip there and back. Nothing really worth stopping for along that route to/frm BKK. It also has decidedly average beaches.

I would opt for the latter, directing then up to Ao Chaloklam and then to West beaches or better to the East, but still on the North side, try Haad Khom and Bottle Beaches for cheap bungalows.

If you go for some high end resort, I don't see how it matters where you go - they are all the same sterile experience so would direct you to some resort around Pattaya. Chonburi has driest coast in Thailand.

Expect RAIN.

You wont be sleeping here, that is for sure!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/18286115785318698661432.jpg/

PS: Tezza is an acquaintance of mine. I have a few submissions on his site and he is always asking me for more - but we are basically campers, not bungalow buttheads.

Edited by bangkokburning

You are into the rainy season so basically, you are screwed. Koh Tao which is not a very pretty island and lacks beaches. Samui - crappy, overpriced and very, very touristy and Phanghan - backpacker central. Koh Chang isn't that great and it is out of the way so to speak so it is a purpose trip there and back. Nothing really worth stopping for along that route to/frm BKK. It also has decidedly average beaches.

I would opt for the latter, directing then up to Ao Chaloklam and then to West beaches or better to the East, but still on the North side, try Haad Khom and Bottle Beaches for cheap bungalows.

If you go for some high end resort, I don't see how it matters where you go - they are all the same sterile experience so would direct you to some resort around Pattaya. Chonburi has driest coast in Thailand.

Expect RAIN.

You wont be sleeping here, that is for sure!

http://imageshack.us...8698661432.jpg/

PS: Tezza is an acquaintance of mine. I have a few submissions on his site and he is always asking me for more - but we are basically campers, not bungalow buttheads.

What? I've used his site for years and his reviews on bungalows is great. Using his site now for a trip I have coming up.

From his website:

I like camping but get my fix with the occasional stay on a NP island or in one of the budget resorts' overflow tents.

A lot of the places you say aren't that nice are, IMHO, not that bad. Sure, they ain't Tahiti, but I've spent plenty of time on all these islands and had a great time. Samui is getting a bit much for me now, but Nangyuan off Koh Tao is paradise.

be advised that august is the middle of the rainy season and all resorts on beaches on the west coast from Trat all the way up to Koh Lak, ( where u can find plenty of beach front resorts) the water will be rough and the beach MIGHT not be exactly clean.

You can get great deals thou in Phuket for that price.

Check out agoda and trip advisor

Ko Lanta is very nice in the low season, great food and people and not busy at all, but not much to do but enjoy the peace and quiet and be grateful ur not in Patong or Chaweang beach

Edited by phuketrichard