Having A Beer With Someone Then They Ask For Your Number

hotandhumid

Being female an' all it happens to me a lot. And whilst I'm fine to sit and drink with someone, if I don't want them to have my number I just say "mai mee!" ;) or if they're farang I say "Er no sorry, not my style." they usually get the drift...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you beut, I reckon this thread has the potential of being another 30+ pager...rolleyes.gif

Or maybe a big hairly troll in sheeps clothing, alongside of such classics to the vein of "why do farangs ignore each other?" and "why is it so hard to find farang friends?" (sounds like same same poster with different moniker actually)

Why is it the bulk of the really good threads here revolve around us farangs taking potshots at each other?

Really, a lot of you must have very sad lives here. If its true that the general consensus amongst Thias is that we are a bunch of <deleted>, then who could blame them for coming to such a conclusion.

To the OP: You shouldnt flatter yourself so much, im sure after they get to know the REAL you, they will not hesitate to NOT call you up again.

Also, it should be stated...12call has a simple system whereby you can block another callers number from contacting you..if needs be....could come in handy for all parties thumbsup.gif

Also, it should be stated...12call has a simple system whereby you can block another callers number from contacting you..if needs be....could come in handy for all parties thumbsup.gif

Bit off topic, but how does this work? I can block sms but haven't found the option to block calls.

Back on topic, I very rarely engage in conversation with other guys in a bar. If that happens, most times it is a polite, light chat that ends with a "take care, have a good time". A few times it is a few wasted minutes with bar-experts-on-everything-in-life. I get away from those pretty fast and without much care for manners. Rarely, a nice conversation I genuinely enjoy. In this case, I usually give (if asked) my email address, still try to avoid giving the phone number, simply by saying the truth, that I hate the intrusions. If we keep in touch and things become close to a friendship or at least a cordial social contact, I don't have any problems exchanging numbers.

You are a very sad person; I truly feel sorry for you.

Perhaps you should see a therapist; there are a number of them here both Thai and Western.

Look into it.

Thanks for the heads up. I will into this therapist lark first doors tomorrow.

Bit off topic, but how does this work? I can block sms but haven't found the option to block calls.

Back on topic, I very rarely engage in conversation with other guys in a bar. If that happens, most times it is a polite, light chat that ends with a "take care, have a good time". A few times it is a few wasted minutes with bar-experts-on-everything-in-life. I get away from those pretty fast and without much care for manners. Rarely, a nice conversation I genuinely enjoy. In this case, I usually give (if asked) my email address, still try to avoid giving the phone number, simply by saying the truth, that I hate the intrusions. If we keep in touch and things become close to a friendship or at least a cordial social contact, I don't have any problems exchanging numbers.

About the phone blocking: Have never had reason to look into it myself, but i know because an ex GF blocked my number once after nasty argument.

Later, she told me you arrange it by ringing a certain 12call number. There are charges involved and charges again for unlocking the number apparently.This is obviously a challenge for us, seeing how its in Thai language.

What i do know however, is that 12call have a pretty good website where you can manage all your account stuff and its also in English:

https://12calleservi...D3F!-1281295850

Im sure you could do that and many other stuff on there.

Back to topic, I can also relate to your opinions, nearly mirror image to mine.

What never ceases to amaze is how most guys you meet blurt out their whole life story timeline in 15 minutes, then proceed to tell you all the worn out warnings and cliches of Thailand, what the women do, what you should not to do. bla bla.

The funny thing is they have'nt even stopped to ask anything about you, or how long you've been here so as to gauge whether you may have already heard this drivel a thousand times before.

NO, they assume it is grasshoppers lucky day as he has now been given free advice from the ultra experienced extraordiaire..know all well travelled Guru man of the world.rolleyes.gif

So yeah, i don't bother much asking or giving numbers, due to most characters being as described above...completely self obsessed.

If you do meet a possible drinking buddy the thing to do these days seems to be exchanging FB, though its a shame its come to that. I guess our lives here can be a little isolated at times and we become accustomed to that freedom.

I have exchanged numbers with lads 3 times in all the years i've spent here and up to this day, 2 of those remain great mates of which we all meet up often while in BK.

A lot of drinking buddies have come and gone,mostly those you would meet on a visa run, or playing pool in a pub somehwere.

It is a sad how we dont stick together more. The Thais do not seem to understand this and think we are weird because of the way we treat our own. If we see a farang walking around the burbs out here my GF constantly asks why i dont go and say hello and i usually try to give multiple reasons each time.

Edited by ozzieovaseas

i will try to be as serious as possible.

A huge number of foreigners living in Thailand or even visiting are very isolated. Not all expats have a lovely wife and kids to go home to.

Also not all can have an insightful conversation with their partner.

Basically, there are loads of lonely people, foreign men in Thailand, just look at this forum and amount of time some people spent here.

Just an old fashioned way to make buddies over a beer in the bar.

I agree, when I lived in BKK (alone at that time) I often exchanged phone no's with other expats I meet in bars around the city. So some of them phoned later and asked if I wanted to come out for a beer, sometimes I said yes I am on my way and sometimes no thanks not today.

Yeah that's rude people who do that.

I hate it, when they do that.

I say no, don't ring me I write it down.

Some are quick though, and I say it's on mute.

By then they usually get the idea and don't ever call anyway

You might need to be more selective as to who you talk to tongue.png

How is it rude of someone for ringing to give you their number in good faith after you just made them believe that you gave them your number in good faith?

How is it rude of someone for ringing to give you their number in good faith after you just made them believe that you gave them your number in good faith?

because the good faith your assuming wasnt there ,he has given his number out reluctantly to avoid being seen as rude or whatever

you can rely on good faith tat was never there to begin with :)

To me lying is never "polite" except perhaps "of course you don't look fat in that dress", or "you've decorated your house so tastefully". By giving them a false number you haven't accomplished anything but saved yourself a moment of awkwardness, certainly not spared their feelings.

If you want to decline politely:

> "Sorry I've got a lot going on at the moment, really just trying to simplify my life" or "heading upcountry soon"

Or just give him the number, what's the worse can happen, just make small talk for a minute, whoops have to go. . .