River Market

hellodolly

does anyone get the feeling hellodolly and 'Dave' are best friends??

Honest unbiased opinions please hellodolly, anyone would think you've got a 'steak' in the restaurant! pun intended! 55555555!

wai.gif

May be you have a hard time understanding the word honest. It does not mean just what I like. There have been several opinions here on the negative side you should read the posts.

Confusing menu

Japanese food not explained

lamb not so good

did not like the chicken in lettuce

These were honest posts the dishonest ones are by people who just judge by the price and never try the product.

And no I would not have a steak in the restaurant. Not even sure if it is on the menu.

But thanks for your half baked idea, No pun intendedgiggle.gif

And obvious comment s on a thread you have obviously not read.coffee1.gif

Err, the only mention of lamb was in my post where I referred to it as "superb". Maybe it's you Dolly that needs to read the threads a tad more carefully? whistling.gif

As for Khao Soi, that was the only item on the menu that I could remember the price of but all of the traditional Thai food was pretty pricey - obviously reflecting the location and the ambience of the place plus of course the amount of dosh the owner has invested in it.

Both my wife and myself eat out 3 - 4 times a week and can assure you, tasty traditional Thai food can be had at a fraction of the price in a nice setting, especially if you are a little out of town. Then again, it could be that my Thai wife is not as "real" a Thai as your wife so neither of us actually know good Thai food when we eat it......cheesy.gif

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sorry when I posted that all I remembered was lamb I should have reread your post it was the sauce you were not so hot on you did say the lamb was superb.

Now if you will reread my post you will notice I do not claim to be a expert on Thai food. But I do claim to know that Dave uses quality food. He is also a stickler for cleanliness.

And as for my wife I did not claim that she knows good Thai food from bad Thai food I claimed that to her if it is not Thai it is not good with the exception of pizza with pineapple on it.giggle.gif And that is a common attitude here in Thailand.

I am sure there are many others with Thai spouses who have the same experience.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still love to see the menu online. Especially at restaurants like this that put a lot of thought and high quality ingredients into their dishes, it is nice to peruse the menu in the comforts of my own home and have an idea of what I would like to try when I get there.

mealsonwheels have the menu up now.

http://www.mealsonwheels4u.com/food_show.php?restaurant_id=029

"Chicken in lettuce".. Is that really the dish, or are we talking about the more common chicken in pandanus leaf? (Kai Hor Bai Toey)

One of the first Thai dish names I ever learned way back using word association which I still remember.

"A man and his lady of the night went to purchase a child's plaything"

Or words to that effect rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Khao Soy 145 baht

Air Con - 40 "

Furniture, fittings, tableware - 30 " and dishes

Location on River + view - 20 "

EZ parking - 20 "

Included 7% tax - 10 "

Owners get for food = 25 baht

(I don't even know as yet if there is easy parking or if the tax is included in these prices at the restaurant. Even less do I know if these costs are anywhere accurate. But the issue is whether I believe it is worth it some evenings or in the heat of the day.

And the answer is in the food. (After all, what can one expect for 25 baht Khao Soy these days?)

Khao Soy 145 baht

Air Con - 40 "

Furniture, fittings, tableware - 30 " and dishes

Location on River + view - 20 "

EZ parking - 20 "

Included 7% tax - 10 "

Owners get for food = 25 baht

(I don't even know as yet if there is easy parking or if the tax is included in these prices at the restaurant. Even less do I know if these costs are anywhere accurate. But the issue is whether I believe it is worth it some evenings or in the heat of the day.

And the answer is in the food. (After all, what can one expect for 25 baht Khao Soy these days?)

You don't get much for 25 Baht khao soi these day which is why places that serve a decent dish of the stuff charge around 60 Baht now. Of course the cheapies will jump in and argue but I would imagine they don't get out much and do any shopping to know the prices of food these days - or they don't mind eating the stuff with one piece of a leg bone in it.

does anyone get the feeling hellodolly and 'Dave' are best friends??

Honest unbiased opinions please hellodolly, anyone would think you've got a 'steak' in the restaurant! pun intended! 55555555!

wai.gif

May be you have a hard time understanding the word honest. It does not mean just what I like. There have been several opinions here on the negative side you should read the posts.

Confusing menu

Japanese food not explained

lamb not so good

did not like the chicken in lettuce

These were honest posts the dishonest ones are by people who just judge by the price and never try the product.

And no I would not have a steak in the restaurant. Not even sure if it is on the menu.

But thanks for your half baked idea, No pun intendedgiggle.gif

And obvious comment s on a thread you have obviously not read.coffee1.gif

Err, the only mention of lamb was in my post where I referred to it as "superb". Maybe it's you Dolly that needs to read the threads a tad more carefully? whistling.gif

As for Khao Soi, that was the only item on the menu that I could remember the price of but all of the traditional Thai food was pretty pricey - obviously reflecting the location and the ambience of the place plus of course the amount of dosh the owner has invested in it.

Both my wife and myself eat out 3 - 4 times a week and can assure you, tasty traditional Thai food can be had at a fraction of the price in a nice setting, especially if you are a little out of town. Then again, it could be that my Thai wife is not as "real" a Thai as your wife so neither of us actually know good Thai food when we eat it......cheesy.gif

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sorry when I posted that all I remembered was lamb I should have reread your post it was the sauce you were not so hot on you did say the lamb was superb.

Now if you will reread my post you will notice I do not claim to be a expert on Thai food. But I do claim to know that Dave uses quality food. He is also a stickler for cleanliness.

And as for my wife I did not claim that she knows good Thai food from bad Thai food I claimed that to her if it is not Thai it is not good with the exception of pizza with pineapple on it.giggle.gif And that is a common attitude here in Thailand.

I am sure there are many others with Thai spouses who have the same experience.

No probs - actually, when my lamb massaman curry turned up, by the looks of it, I thought I'd been given an English stew! Don't get me wrong, it had some pep to it and was agreeable to eat - just not what I was expecting.

Agreed, Thai ladies are wonderful and confusing all at the same time, my wife "hates cheese" but last night happily munched through 2 slices of seafood pizza at Mamma Mias which was dripping with mozarella......

Back to River Market - I will probably go again but probably only on invite with a group rather than just me and Mrs Pikey - there are many other preferences IMO.

Cheers & "bon appetite",

Pikey.

Interesting how the cheap Charlies can turn any thread into a matter of money. As elektrifried has said you can always get cheap khao soi cheap and the dogs wont eat it.

So what does that make you? A hi-so wannabe?

U sound like you have Been here long enough to absorb the part of Thai culteren where ones self esteem is measured by the ability to flaunt money.

Discussing and comparing the quality and price of dishes should be a natural thing in a food review. In my experience most "real" Thai restaurants have a signature dish that they do really well and are know for. I know several place like this in cm and I will visit these places depending on what I'm in the mood for.

I havnt been to the river house yet but have driven past it several times and I like the look of it. I havnt heard anything here that will stop me from going and trying it out. (maybe exept what sounds like paid for promotion from Dolly)

• Like 1

Can anyone who has been, or perhaps David or one of his supporters posting here confirm if there is aircon? Be bloody hot for lunch these days if not.

It would seem the consensus is that the Thai food is currently "iffy" but we might still give it a try this weekend, as for ferrying steaks across the river?

Well too often they are already cold enough when served at the overworked kitchen in the old place ahhh until they add a western kitchen and chefs I think not.

Hey, here is a thought, the dukes above Macs never has many clients, why not move it's kitchen and close it down?

Can anyone who has been, or perhaps David or one of his supporters posting here confirm if there is aircon? Be bloody hot for lunch these days if not.

It would seem the consensus is that the Thai food is currently "iffy" but we might still give it a try this weekend, as for ferrying steaks across the river?

Well too often they are already cold enough when served at the overworked kitchen in the old place ahhh until they add a western kitchen and chefs I think not.

Hey, here is a thought, the dukes above Macs never has many clients, why not move it's kitchen and close it down?

Sad to say no unless you consider wide open spaces under cover Thai air conditioning. It does have overhead fans.

Excellent food for me as a farang, but, my Thai wife said that it is Thai style geared toward farang and not exactly suited for Thai tastebuds.

Portions were great, service great but, no real deserts to speak off. I will definitely go again, if not with the wife than with the GF.

Dave has done an excellent job getting this place open and should go after the Tour trade, the same bus firms that deliver to the Hotels

and also cater to the business lunch crowd. Then again what the heck do I know of running a Restaurant. Great place!! Live music helps!!

Went with a friend the other night.

Nice looking place. Attentive smiling staff. Good view of the river. A bit too hot for my liking as the ceiling fans fail to reach the best seats.

The Thai food is definitely geared towards tourist. It was good food. But if u like Thai food for what Thai food is, then this it not it.

If I had guests from Europe that I knew would not enjoy the local cuisine, but still wanted to try it, I would properly take them here. And I'm sure they would enjoy it and go home and tell their friends about how wonderful Thai food is.

But I will not go back on my own or with a girlfriend as there are better options for Thai food facing the river.

Edited by AndersSN
  • Like 1

What's the approximate cost for 3 bottles of water, a bucket of ice, 2 plates of rice and three dishes - a seafood soup, something fried and something else?

At Riverside, this is 500-600B. More or less?

Water and Ice are free. My glass never was below half.

I was there yesterday and liked it.

It is very new and the greenery etc in front is mot there yet

The place was 99% empty while we were there, 7.30 - 9 pm approx - but I expect it will pick up once word gets around

The japanese food is confined to sushi and sashimi and nothing else.

Yes but they have Thai food a s well as many western dishes like steak and chicken

Pad Thai 165 Baht, Khao Soy 145 Baht, Pineapple Fried Rice 165 Baht.........bring on the tourist's..

I'm sure it's very nice. smile.png

It is very nice !

Last night when I went there I would say it was a mix of 50% l;ocal Thai, 30% Tourist, and 20 % expats living here

Some areas seem to be Air conditioned others not. I was there last night at 7:00 I was in the main non air conditioned area. Next to the river and with the ceiling fans running I was fine as was everyone in my party It was 35 out side at the time.

Why ferry them over ? Steaks, chicken and other offerings on the menu

The River Market seems to have 3 kitchens, 2 you can see from your table. All are spotlessly clean.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote repaired

Oh oh.

River Market is certainly not new Duke's. Glad we changed to this name for a thread.

Of course, to the truly acclimatized, nothing is changed, except the choices of chow.

I've eaten there several times at different times of the day and have never felt the need for aircon, the building itself is plenty cool by virtue of it's design, location and of course the ceiling fans.

If someone noted my first post on the old thread and now reads this they will see a 180 in my thinking.

I am not a friend of Dave, but could pick him out of a crowd of people,though he does not know me.

As luck (in this case) would have it, with my work I went to The River Market 3 or 4 times before eating there. It is the cleanest kitchen I know in Thailand, The whole place is spotless, and I have seen areas most never will. (Iwas paid nothing by them, even offered a free meal and declined at the time)

Parking is ample at all times and makes me wonder what future plans are in store for the place ?

I suggest going at night after dark, The lighting is wonderful around the building and the night light views of the river are good too.

Little expense was spared in making this building. It has a very large capacity. and some areas for party groups. TThe workmanship and quality are all of the highest quality.

Where I was told it was Thai food, I would say yes and no. Thai Fusion as somebody said is more like it. as well as many chicken and steak options as well as others of us who do not like Thai food so much will find acceptable and very enjoyable

Prices that I noted start at just about 100 Baht and go to just under 300 Baht for a imported steak.

I had a Lemongrass Chicken dish for 105 Bt. and it was wonderful served with a asortment of vegtables in a tempura coating. I give it high marks. It was more than enough to fill me. Also check out the daily speacail boards on the wall high up.

They have a bar front and center. A long list of what I would say are western cocktails. All were priced in the 150 baht range give or take. Or jsut come for a drink and sit at the bar. It said Happy hour, but I noticed nothing about it nor was told anything.

Though it was a hot day, and I said outside, the ceiling fans and cool river breeze kept me happy.

Service was good, And with little exception, went smoothly. Where I could not speak Thai well enough, most was understood and when they could not someone was there in seconds to help. My ice water glass (No charge) was never below half. And where I needed anything, someone was always in eye sight to help. A nice change from most places

I am a card carring memeber of the cheep charlie group. However there is something to be said about value for the money.

I may not go back weekly. Burt will go now and then and when I have out of town company visiting.

The 2 low points if you could call them that,

1.) I wish for a dessert menu

2.) In Thai style, dishes came when ready. Mine, my wifes a minute later, and a guest about 5 minutes after that.

• Like 1

Pad Thai 165 Baht, Khao Soy 145 Baht, Pineapple Fried Rice 165 Baht.........bring on the tourist's..

It is very nice !

Last night when I went there I would say it was a mix of 50% l;ocal Thai, 30% Tourist, and 20 % expats living here

No surprise here, Thai's like to be seen at new farang establishments.

Did they have their Chivas Regal bottles (filled with Sangsom)?

You sound like you've had a few Pad Thai's, what makes this one very nice and worth 160 Baht?

I had the Pat Thai the other night and it came wrapped in a omlet it was a good sized one and had shrimp in it about a inch and a half in diameter with all the meat and no shell on it. I believe there was four of them.

As far as the food goes River Market uses quality ingredients and they are a stickler on cleanliness. I realize to a cheap Charley these things are meaningless it is only about money. Ambiance and service don't matter. If the price is low enough they are willing to just pop around the corner and take a whiz behind the telephone pole. I in no way would recommend River Market to them. Don't even waste your time considering it.

For those who value quality of the ingredients, cleanliness, service and ambiance I highly recommend it. The one thing I would suggest if you decide to go is not expect the same thing as you get off of a food cart. At River Market you will get more than just plain food. And as to be expected it will reflect in the price but not as munch as one would expect.

Even at that it still can not be some thing for every one.

• Like 1

I had the Pat Thai the other night and it came wrapped in a omlet it was a good sized one and had shrimp in it about a inch and a half in diameter with all the meat and no shell on it. I believe there was four of them.

I'm sure you did....and if I'd have mentioned any other dish from their extensive menu, I'm sure you would have had that the other night too. wink.png

I'm sure you did....and if I'd have mentioned any other dish from their extensive menu, I'm sure you would have had that the other night too. wink.png

coffee1.gifgiggle.gif

It is very nice !

You sound like you've had a few Pad Thai's, what makes this one very nice and worth 160 Baht?

The River market is very nice

10 years in Thailand and I can count on 1 hand how many times I have had Pad Thai

I ordered the Lemon grass BBQ Chickem breast. 105 Baht with veggys.

As a Cheep Charile I would say it was a good value.

• Like 1

It is very nice !

The River market is very nice

10 years in Thailand and I can count on 1 hand how many times I have had Pad Thai

I ordered the Lemon grass BBQ Chickem breast. 105 Baht with veggys.

As a Cheep Charile I would say it was a good value.

Actually the lemon grass BBQ chicken breast, with veggies sounds good at 105 Baht.........but it was pretty obvious you haven't eaten much Pad Thai, to pay 160 Baht for it......so you are forgiven.wink.png

Actually the lemon grass BBQ chicken breast, with veggies sounds good at 105 Baht.........but it was pretty obvious you haven't eaten much Pad Thai, to pay 160 Baht for it......so you are forgiven.wink.png

Prices in the Nimmanhaemin area are also Bangkok-bound. At the KhunMor restaurant in Soi 17 opposite Dentaland they do Phad Thai priced up to 119 baht. And that's a local place, run by Thais aimed at Thais.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Prices in the Nimmanhaemin area are also Bangkok-bound. At the KhunMor restaurant in Soi 17 opposite Dentaland they do Phad Thai priced up to 119 baht. And that's a local place, run by Thais aimed at Thais.

I don't frequent the pretentious Nimmanhaemin area.

• Like 1

Well since a few people are dropping the number 160 THB for Phad Thai as being 'outrageous', I'll be honest and say that I once had Pad Thai in Bangkok that cost 1500 THB per plate. I don't know the name of the place but it was one of those swanky BKK places with large tanks of crabs, shrimps, lobsters, etc. that Thais love to dine at. I didn't order it, some Thai friends who took me there did (and they paid for it too). But it did have several fresh prawns on top that were each about 12" or 30 cm long.