River Market

hellodolly

Actually the lemon grass BBQ chicken breast, with veggies sounds good at 105 Baht.........but it was pretty obvious you haven't eaten much Pad Thai, to pay 160 Baht for it......so you are forgiven.wink.png

Prices in the Nimmanhaemin area are also Bangkok-bound. At the KhunMor restaurant in Soi 17 opposite Dentaland they do Phad Thai priced up to 119 baht. And that's a local place, run by Thais aimed at Thais.

I don't frequent the pretentious Nimmanhaemin area.

Right, me neither. Other than to take the kids to to Dentaland. ;)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this Thai sausage stand at the corner of my street in the Nimmanhaemin area, they sell a meal of sticky rice and "sai oua" sausage for only 10-15 baht. (may be a perfect match for your 15 baht banana for dessert?)

post-131333-0-34986300-1335747891_thumb.

• Like 1

Mrs Millwall_fan and I dined at the River Market on Monday and enjoyed the experience. The building is very nicely designed, in the evenings air-con isn't needed due to the breeze from the river- there is an air con area though. The service was first class -friendly and attentive (although most staff didn't seem to speak much English). You need to be open minded about the food which is a slant on what you'd expect. Most Thai food is highly stylised- a Masamman curry in Chiang Mai will be more or less the same as in Surat Thani or Udon Thani. Dave has tried to produce something quite different. We had lamb kebabs which were full of large chunks of lamb and a spicy sauce, tilapia fish with pomelo, A River Market speciality: Fried rice with chicken, and steamed Mussels Thai style. All were good, though why local mussels were used when much larger half shell Chilean ones are available at a reasonable price, I don't know.

David isn't really aiming The River Market at local expats, but at Thai and farang tour groups and wealthy Thais, though of course everyone is welcome.

Try it if you're broad minded enough!

• Like 2

This is a good first effort, but I hope to see River Market's own online menu up soon, complete with photos and brief description of each item. Huean Sunthari Restaurant has a great online menu.

MealsOnWheels version looks pretty good.

Actually the lemon grass BBQ chicken breast, with veggies sounds good at 105 Baht.........but it was pretty obvious you haven't eaten much Pad Thai, to pay 160 Baht for it......so you are forgiven.wink.png

Prices in the Nimmanhaemin area are also Bangkok-bound. At the KhunMor restaurant in Soi 17 opposite Dentaland they do Phad Thai priced up to 119 baht. And that's a local place, run by Thais aimed at Thais.

Right, me neither. Other than to take the kids to to Dentaland. wink.png

Pretentious kids, nothing worse ! :)

• Like 1

Pad Thai 165 Baht, Khao Soy 145 Baht, Pineapple Fried Rice 165 Baht.........bring on the tourist's..

I'm sure it's very nice. smile.png

Free water though... I found that providing I drank the equivalent of 10 bottles of water with each dish everything balanced out quite well and the food prices were in fact very reasonable :)

• Like 1

Pad Thai 165 Baht, Khao Soy 145 Baht, Pineapple Fried Rice 165 Baht.........bring on the tourist's..

Free water though... I found that providing I drank the equivalent of 10 bottles of water with each dish everything balanced out quite well and the food prices were in fact very reasonable smile.png

I've never said the food quality is poor, on the contrary I have always known Dukes to be one of the top restaurant's in Chiang Mai, that deserves the business it gets. All I said is that I personally wouldn't pay 165 Baht for Pad Thai or Pineapple fried rice - those particular dishes seem aimed at the tourist market which is fair enough. For example in the UK, people pay far more, so they probably are OK with paying 165 baht. I wouldn't, I'm not in the UK, I know where to get great Pad Thai and I expect I'm not alone.

However, if locals want to pay those prices it's up to them. smile.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

Visited last Friday. The portions were large and the prices are quite reasonable for what you get (quality of ingredients, quantity served, cleanliness of kitchen (immaculate!), pleasantness of ambiance).

We shared the Green Chile Chicken Roti - I enjoyed it, was actually pretty filling

The Missus was craving a pizza - they served it at our table

I would have enjoyed trying the other selections so I will return

I definitely do not feel the urge to overspend at any eating establishment and 90% of the time do frequent local Thai establishments - but I really enjoyed this place and for 200bht and under for a majority of the dishes I did feel very happy with the value for my money

Edited by PlanetX
  • Like 1

My Thai friend had the pineapple fried rice.... she did not leave a happy customer.

I've gone twice now and here is my run down:

The location is very central and thus good. There is a ton of parking as well. The view was really good as well - once on a sunny day, another on a rainy day.

The interior of the place is really top quality. I can't really think of anything I'd change to make it look nicer. Really well done whoever designed it... if I were going to have something constructed I would probably try to become friends with the owner (I've talked to him briefly a few times here and at Dukes) and figure out who he used.

The service was outstanding. The staff was right on top of everything and English (and Thai) was spoken with no problems.

The specific dishes I tried were (sorry if prices are a bit off I don't remember completely):

Fried morning glory - it was 120 baht but maybe 2 times the portion of the typical cheap Thai place. So for the portion it was not expensive at all. This dish was done well.

Fried rice with egg, shrimp, pork and chicken - 160 baht. This sounds like a lot... but the servings of meat were very generous and really high quality. The fried rice itself was perhaps 1.5x the size of a typical place. With all of the extra meat I thought this dish was very reasonably priced. I told the owner it is the best fried rice I've ever had - and that is really no lie.

Tamarind glazed ribs - about 200 baht. This dish was tasty although I wish it could have more of the "fall off the bone" feel like the Duke's ribs have. That would make this dish a normal choice for me. Still it tasted good and the portion was medium sized.

Whole fish - I forgot what this one is called but I believe it also cost about 200 baht. I thought this dish was really good. Unlike normal whole fish, the work was already done for you with the meat piled on top. It was lightly breaded. I am honestly not sure what the sauce was but it was tasty. I'd absolutely get this again - and this price is quite comparable to Thai prices but the quality is simply better in my mind. The extra 30 or so baht is made up by the fact that I don't have to carve the meat myself. The *only* complaint I had about this dish is that on a few pieces the breading was a little bit too soggy. Perhaps by putting the sauce on the side this problem could be avoided.

Spicy salmon sushi roll and rainbow roll - This was okay and reasonably priced. I did find myself wishing that there was more meat in it, actually. I guess this is the only dish I felt like I felt my money wasn't well spent on... and I wouldn't be surprised if this is improved upon in the future (given that I like *everything* on the Duke's menu and this place is still quite new).

I hope this is some constructive criticism for a restaurant that will no doubt become a regular one for me.

• Like 1

I found this Thai sausage stand at the corner of my street in the Nimmanhaemin area, they sell a meal of sticky rice and "sai oua" sausage for only 10-15 baht. (may be a perfect match for your 15 baht banana for dessert?)

The mini-CM-style sausages are superb. Seems he's been on holiday lately though, can't find him on NH, has he moved?

Note: best ever pad thai may be had at MBK foodcourt in BKK and if River Market's version is AS GOOD, then I'll be happy to pay 4 x the mbk price ... saving around 3,289 Bt in travel expenses tongue.png

The mini-CM-style sausages are superb. Seems he's been on holiday lately though, can't find him on NH, has he moved?

Note: best ever pad thai may be had at MBK foodcourt in BKK and if River Market's version is AS GOOD, then I'll be happy to pay 4 x the mbk price ... saving around 3,289 Bt in travel expenses tongue.png

The pad thai price seemed high to me but it is like any thing else if you haven't tried it you are just don't know

So I tried it and will definitely have it again. It was wrapped in a omelet with shrimp in it that were about one and a half inch to two inches in diameter and no tail on them.

The last time we were in there the wife had it and she as I will both have it again.

As I told The owner I had one the night before that was very good for 50 baht and I will and have had it again.It is just across the street. Bit good as it was it was not in the same class as The River Market pad thai

The place is most assuredly not for cheap charlies or people who don't care about the surroundings and service. As for the food I have not had it all yet and probably won't as there are things I just don't like. It is not pure Thai it is a Thai Fusion and if you want pure Thai you might be disappointed.

For me and my Thai wife it is a thumbs up

• 2 weeks later...

I went there with my girlfriend just to check the place out and was pleasantly surprised ! Very nice location, good service and really tasty food. Also, had a few strong cocktails at half price during happy hour I think happy hour was from four to six thirty not quite sure but it really was pleasant just sitting around enjoying the atmosphere. 2 thumbs up for me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the River Market out tonight for the first time. Was fairly quiet, perhaps due to the heavy downpour. However, the building, the setting, the service and the food were all great.

We ordered the Short rib beef penang, shrimp spring rolls, salmon marinated in fish sauce, river market fried rice, chicken wings stuffed with sai oua, and a coke. As mentioned the portions are generous. Total bill was 1000B.

We were also given the option of ordering seperate courses, Western style, or letting them come dish by dish as they are ready, Thai style.

It's definitely somewhere I'd take visiting friends/relatives, or if I'm just feeling like splashing out a bit and living the good life.

i wholly agree with everything that has been said. delicious food, good price, big portions, good service, great atmosphere...

though i was a bit thrown when i got the bill, +7% on the list price for VAT. something I wasn't used to. i'm attuned to tax being inclusive in the list price.

i wholly agree with everything that has been said. delicious food, good price, big portions, good service, great atmosphere...

though i was a bit thrown when i got the bill, +7% on the list price for VAT. something I wasn't used to. i'm attuned to tax being inclusive in the list price.

Yes you have to be careful.

Not always in the fine print biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

We had after all been Duke's longstanding customers and also eat at The River Market once a week. BUT we felt like we got robbed from The River Market restaurant today!!

I ordered very simple Thai stir fry noodles this afternoon, I even pointed to the item on the menu when I ordered it....ONLY mistaken to say with " seafood " instead of with "shrimp" which the price on the menu is 175 or 165 baht .. turned out they made me pay 295 baht for " seafood HOTPOT " ! I told the waiter that I didn't order any hotpot item, I even pointed the noodle left on the plate to him, he said he will check and he left with my credit card. I expected he would come back with the right amount but they sent a different waitress came with the SAME bill & my credit card payment slip. She just stood there with no any explanation & waiting me to sign the payment slip...I'm shocked with no word, shake my head & gave her a mocking smile, signed it & left. I didn't want to make a scene to annoy other guests. BUT they left me a VERY bad feeling...

They treated their steady customer likes an idiot, so this idiot customer & friends never going back there again on any circumstance!!!

• Like 1

I had my birthday party/lunch at River Market about 1 month ago. Originally had said for 10 guests, but soon had to bump it up to 18. Popped in to make arrangements and fortunately David was there, so we had a quick chat about arrangements, and took a menu home to decide what to eat. Went back some 3-4 days before the luncheon, with the list of dishes we would require.

When I arrived on the day, everything was ready, my guests, more Thai than westerners, sat down had drinks and after a short while the food was served. Everything went very well, all agreed the food was very good, as was the service. David and Micheal both took very good care of us while they were there, making sure everything ran smoothly.

The total cost for 18 very well fed people, inclusive of cake, wine etc. came to some 14,000 baht, Which I thought was very good value as everyone enjoyed the afternoon. (plus we didn't have to cook, do the dishes or the cleaning up as we would have had to do if we held the party at home).

If you do want a goup thing there then would suggest the following:-

go in and talk to David or Michael, let them know exactly what you want and when you want it.

Take home a menu, decide what dishes you want to order.

Take home wine list too and decide what wines you want to order if any, or make arrangements to supply your own.

Let the restaurant know what you want some 4-5 days in advance so they can get everything ready for you and your party.

Sit back and enjoy.

I was very sorry to read about the problems poster #85 had. I always felt that David would go out of his way to help customers.

I am no way associated with David, Micheal or their restaurants, just wanted to let people know that they do a great job of catering for parties.

We had after all been Duke's longstanding customers and also eat at The River Market once a week. BUT we felt like we got robbed from The River Market restaurant today!!

I ordered very simple Thai stir fry noodles this afternoon, I even pointed to the item on the menu when I ordered it....ONLY mistaken to say with " seafood " instead of with "shrimp" which the price on the menu is 175 or 165 baht .. turned out they made me pay 295 baht for " seafood HOTPOT " ! I told the waiter that I didn't order any hotpot item, I even pointed the noodle left on the plate to him, he said he will check and he left with my credit card. I expected he would come back with the right amount but they sent a different waitress came with the SAME bill & my credit card payment slip. She just stood there with no any explanation & waiting me to sign the payment slip...I'm shocked with no word, shake my head & gave her a mocking smile, signed it & left. I didn't want to make a scene to annoy other guests. BUT they left me a VERY bad feeling...

They treated their steady customer likes an idiot, so this idiot customer & friends never going back there again on any circumstance!!!

I'm not taking sides here, but just to be fair, the bill was for what you received and consumed, correct? You can't really fault the management for this one, although I can understand your displeasure.

But if they're charging you for something you didn't order nor received, different scenario.

• Like 1

She just stood there with no any explanation & waiting me to sign the payment slip...I'm shocked with no word, shake my head & gave her a mocking smile, signed it & left. I didn't want to make a scene to annoy other guests.

How considerate you are...... now they can do it again.

No need to make a fuss at all. When the payment slip arrived don't sign it and just calmly write VOID with two big thick lines through it and ask for a correct slip. It won't be long before the owner/manager contacts you. Just be cool.

• Like 1

Pat sorry about the problem. I can also assure you that they were not treating you like an idiot. I have not talked to anyone yet about this but the problem was not with your order but what they charged you. To be fair to them they had no idea what to charge and they were simply following standard procedure when someone orders a special order. While we are making strides getting the food and the service together at The River Market we are far from doing everything competently.I'll look into the matter today. Drop me a PM here and I'll make it right for you.Dave