River Market

hellodolly

I know there is another thread running about this new restaurant under the name of Dukes.

Just thought I would start one with the proper name. Also let people know right up front it is Thai food.

They do have Japanese and you can order anything off of the Dukes menu and they will make it at Dukes on the river and bring it over to you.

For those of you who don't know where it is you can find it on Loi Khro road just before you start over the iron bridge.

The food is all excellent and the ambiance is superb. Service is also great. The owners take great pride in there product and are always open to suggestion and willing to work with you if you have a problem.

• Like 2

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a menu for river market available online yet does anyone know?

Not yet.

They are planning on home delivery and when they have that all set up they will have a menu on line.

To be honest with you eating there is an experience worth giving a go. The service and the location right on the river are unique and well worth experiencing.

• Like 1

What's the approximate cost for 3 bottles of water, a bucket of ice, 2 plates of rice and three dishes - a seafood soup, something fried and something else?

At Riverside, this is 500-600B. More or less?

I was there yesterday and liked it.

It is very new and the greenery etc in front is mot there yet

The place was 99% empty while we were there, 7.30 - 9 pm approx - but I expect it will pick up once word gets around

The japanese food is confined to sushi and sashimi and nothing else.

Went there on Tuesday and it has potential but needs work.

Pros: Location is nice and they did a great job with the construction. Great river view, beautiful building, high ceilings, open floor plan.

Cons: Menu is confusing and lacks focus. Some of the items were served nothing like their menu description (i.e. chicken lettuce cups on menu: water chestnuts and xo sauce; served: larb style). Overall quality control is hit or miss. Normally I wouldn't be so critical but it's a pricey menu so the expectation is higher.

Hope they work out the kinks because it would be great to have a new option in the mix.

I was there with a large group of friends last night. It's a beautiful building with all top notch furnishings and friendly attentive staff. The food was what our group decided to refer to as Thai (con)fusion. It was pretty decent but not traditional. For example, I had massaman curried lamb. The lamb was superb but the sauce was nothing like any of the massaman curries I have had before - sweet and watery with not a lot of coconut in it. Similar observations were made around the table on various other dishes. The price for 3 of us was just about 1000THB and that was for 3 main dishes, rice and a large beer. Water was provided free.

Overall, a positive experience but as the floor manager said, they are just starting up and not used to large groups, so probably better to go with just a few friends. Worth a visit though.

Cheers,

Pikey.

For some reason, I can't bring myself to eat Thai food in a farang owned restaurant, when there are so many excellent Thai restaurants at much lower cost. However, that being said I still wish Dave all the best with his new venture, though I would have thought it was geared to the tourist trade.

• Like 2

For some reason, I can't bring myself to eat Thai food in a farang owned restaurant, when there are so many excellent Thai restaurants at much lower cost. However, that being said I still wish Dave all the best with his new venture, though I would have thought it was geared to the tourist trade.

I'm the same mate, which is why I had lamb. If i am going to spunk a decent amount of cash for a meal, I want it to be something I can't/won't eat everyday. I think that they are definitely set up for the tourist trade/hiso locals, I mean, would you pay 145THB for a Khao Soi when you can get it across the road for 35-40THB? ;)

Beautiful place though.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

I'm the same mate, which is why I had lamb. If i am going to spunk a decent amount of cash for a meal, I want it to be something I can't/won't eat everyday. I think that they are definitely set up for the tourist trade/hiso locals, I mean, would you pay 145THB for a Khao Soi when you can get it across the road for 35-40THB? wink.png

Beautiful place though.....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Exactly, you can get Khao Soy for 4 or more, for the price of one dish.

It's nice to have the ambience at times, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay their prices for Thai food.

Yep, tourist trade for sure.

+1

If i am going to spunk a decent amount of cash for a meal, I want it to be something I can't/won't eat everyday. I think that they are definitely set up for the tourist trade/hiso locals, I mean, would you pay 145THB for a Khao Soi when you can get it across the road for 35-40THB? wink.png

I guess it depends on the quality??? There are some places that sell Kaho Soi that use parts of the chicken that even a dog wouldn't eat. I'm really picky about the chicken I eat and will pay more than 35-40 THB for better quality large pieces of white chicken, no bones. I'm not saying 145 THB is the right price however. I've not paid that price before.

• Like 1

On the subject of khao soy, there is an excellent restaurant of the same name in Niman soi 7.

Beautiful place, nice ambiance, and their signature dish is delicious and priced at around 60 bath.

Try it if you like khao soy

Beautiful place, nice ambiance, and their signature dish is delicious and priced at around 60 bath.

For half that price, the best khao soy in CM is a stall owned by an ancient woman behind the morning market at CM gate. Mornings/lunch only.

For half that price, the best khao soy in CM is a stall owned by an ancient woman behind the morning market at CM gate. Mornings/lunch only.

But who wants to eat at a "stall"? Maybe once in a while but... And for 1/2 that price you get a measly piece of chicken leg or something. I'd rather pay more and have better.

• Like 2

is there a menu for river market available online yet does anyone know?

Not yet.

They are planning on home delivery and when they have that all set up they will have a menu on line.

To be honest with you eating there is an experience worth giving a go. The service and the location right on the river are unique and well worth experiencing.

Next to the river unique - hardly.

I was there yesterday and liked it.

It is very new and the greenery etc in front is mot there yet

The place was 99% empty while we were there, 7.30 - 9 pm approx - but I expect it will pick up once word gets around

The japanese food is confined to sushi and sashimi and nothing else.

It's going take a he@@ of alot of picking up at 145 baht for khao soy. Any number of decent places do a great khao soy and no where near that price.

Interesting how the cheap Charlies can turn any thread into a matter of money. As elektrifried has said you can always get cheap khao soi cheap and the dogs wont eat it.

So far it seems like khao soi is all people consider Thai food. Their is a lot more on the menu than Khoa Soi.

I was kind of hoping for some honest feed back and it was going good there until cheap Charlie showed up.

To be honest with every one there is stuff on the menu I won't eat and it has nothing to do with the owners nationality or the price. I just won't eat it any where.

I feel the price is high for the Khoa Soi but I will give it a try one of these days, I know that Dave uses quality food and is generous with the portions. Might come back on here and complain about it but not until I have tried it.

Yes there are many restaurants on the river but I like the location of this one. Went to one of the upper end ones a while back on the river the service was bad and the prawns were river prawns no taste but the prices were high.

I like the style of the River Market building plus the service is really good. And so far all the food I have ordered has been excellent. Well maybe the chicken wrapped in lettuce was a touch on the hot side. But it was still good.

I plan on taking the wife there once a week. Just a little extra as she really enjoys it and she is Thai. When I say Thai I mean real Thai when it comes to food if it isn't Thai it is no good with the odd exception of pizza with pineapple on it. A real problem when we are traveling. She actually took some packaged sauce to a restaurant we found in Bali with good Thai food.

Edited by hellodolly

On the subject of Khao Soi, if you want to try a really good and cheap one a place called Nam Mae Ping really hits the spot and is in the same general location:

http://www.farangfriendly.com/chiang-mai/mueang-chiang-mai/restaurants-thai/nam-mae-ping-chiang-mai

Anyways I am really looking forward to checking out this restaurant - I think Dukes is awesome and this place probably will be as well.

Particularly at this time of year, our Hot Season, there are some things to be said about ambiance: One is that air-con is cool!

Another thought is that air-con, a comfy chair, or a pleasant view cost more. Who is surprised by this? None of us, I suggest.

This is one of those cases where it's almost always true that you get what you pay for. However, each of us will decide for ourselves if the value of ambiance is too costly - it's personal, like taste itself.

I appreciate taste a lot but enjoy it more when sweat is not rolling down my nose into the chow. Often, I like quiet or even intimate conversation with meals (don't need motorcycles shouting in my ears or blowing smoke into my sweat dripping nozzle as I eat). Certainly, it is a given that I must pay more in order to enjoy the food itself even more.

What would help me is to more read reports suggesting which of the dishes are delicious at River Market. (Help!)

Edited by CMX
  • Like 2

I went there with the girlfriend last week.

The building and ambience is great, but as someone has pointed out already, the menu is confusing. We didn't know if the rice was included or how much it was (maybe I missed that on the menu) and the Japanese sushi menu was not clear at all, it doesn't explain the quantity of sushi your ordering, a small problem I know but its frustrating when you're trying to decide what to eat.

The food was good, but I won't rush back, I'd definitely go to a real Thai restaurant with nice ambience for cheaper.

On the subject of Khao Soi, if you want to try a really good and cheap one a place called Nam Mae Ping really hits the spot and is in the same general location:

http://www.farangfri...ping-chiang-mai

That is one of my favorite places for Thai food. Not sure if I have ever ordered khao soi there before but all the Lanna food is really good. Prices are very affordable.

• Like 1

does anyone get the feeling hellodolly and 'Dave' are best friends??

Honest unbiased opinions please hellodolly, anyone would think you've got a 'steak' in the restaurant! pun intended! 55555555!

wai.gif

May be you have a hard time understanding the word honest. It does not mean just what I like. There have been several opinions here on the negative side you should read the posts.

Confusing menu

Japanese food not explained

lamb not so good

did not like the chicken in lettuce

These were honest posts the dishonest ones are by people who just judge by the price and never try the product.

And no I would not have a steak in the restaurant. Not even sure if it is on the menu.

But thanks for your half baked idea, No pun intendedgiggle.gif

And obvious comment s on a thread you have obviously not read.coffee1.gif

does anyone get the feeling hellodolly and 'Dave' are best friends??

Honest unbiased opinions please hellodolly, anyone would think you've got a 'steak' in the restaurant! pun intended! 55555555!

wai.gif

May be you have a hard time understanding the word honest. It does not mean just what I like. There have been several opinions here on the negative side you should read the posts.

Confusing menu

Japanese food not explained

lamb not so good

did not like the chicken in lettuce

These were honest posts the dishonest ones are by people who just judge by the price and never try the product.

And no I would not have a steak in the restaurant. Not even sure if it is on the menu.

But thanks for your half baked idea, No pun intendedgiggle.gif

And obvious comment s on a thread you have obviously not read.coffee1.gif

Err, the only mention of lamb was in my post where I referred to it as "superb". Maybe it's you Dolly that needs to read the threads a tad more carefully? whistling.gif

As for Khao Soi, that was the only item on the menu that I could remember the price of but all of the traditional Thai food was pretty pricey - obviously reflecting the location and the ambience of the place plus of course the amount of dosh the owner has invested in it.

Both my wife and myself eat out 3 - 4 times a week and can assure you, tasty traditional Thai food can be had at a fraction of the price in a nice setting, especially if you are a little out of town. Then again, it could be that my Thai wife is not as "real" a Thai as your wife so neither of us actually know good Thai food when we eat it......cheesy.gif

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

I would still love to see the menu online. Especially at restaurants like this that put a lot of thought and high quality ingredients into their dishes, it is nice to peruse the menu in the comforts of my own home and have an idea of what I would like to try when I get there.

"Chicken in lettuce".. Is that really the dish, or are we talking about the more common chicken in pandanus leaf? (Kai Hor Bai Toey)

Yes

chicken lettuce cups on menu: water chestnuts and xo sauce; served: larb style.

As I said a bit spicey