One Week In Bangkok

battersea

I will be staying in Bangkok in May for 10 days to check out a few language schools...

I am sure there must be some half decent apartments or hotels in central Bangkok....

Am willing to pay up to 1000 thb per night ....areas of interest include Phaya Thai , Ari, Sanam Pao , Victory Monument (but it's a bit dangerous right ?) ,Thailand Cultural Centre, Phra Ram 9,Phetchaburi , Lumpini , On-Nut ,and Surasak.......!

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations ???

Ideally I would like to have easy access to the old part of town (Rattanakosin) and the newer side (Siam) but I know there is no Metro Or BTS on the old side....somewhere in the middle would be great !

Any ideas would be appreciated..

... Victory Monument (but it's a bit dangerous right ?)...

That's the first time I've heard anything about VM being "dangerous" - it's no more dangerous than any other part of town (not trying to imply that the rest of BKK is dangerous).

There aren't **any** dangerous areas in Bangkok compared to the major urban areas of native-English countries in the "developed" world.

Even at 3am I'd walk the back sois of the poorest slums without worrying, but then I did grow up in NYC before it got sanitized.

Sure people will try to scam you with words, gadgets may get burgled, sometimes pockets picked, but it's very rare indeed that a farang actually gets mugged with a gun or a knife, which happened to me three times before I was twelve back home.

Crime does occur of course, but very rarely. I'd put the highest danger ratings on the areas where the farang-oriented sex industry is most concentrated and blatant, and specifically exclude Patpong/Nana/Cowboy from that exception.

And losing your life-savings to a beautiful scammer's probably 80% of the crime that befall farangs here, and that's just due to their ignorance and/or stupidity IMO - not saying they deserve it, but they certainly could have prevented it.

One week in Bangkok? That's a lot of oysters! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Personally I like staying out past On Nut, but you'll have a little bit of a commute from there on the BTS. I think Thon Buri may be interesting, I would like to try that sometime since the BTS runs over there.

Personally I like staying out past On Nut, but you'll have a little bit of a commute from there on the BTS. I think Thon Buri may be interesting, I would like to try that sometime since the BTS runs over there.

555... someone had to say it! Nice job!

The OP however still hasnt heard about the hotels he was asking about.

555... someone had to say it! Nice job!

The OP however still hasnt heard about the hotels he was asking about.

1000 baht is a very reasonable budget. There are so so so many options, the problem is that the OP needs to think what area he wants to stay in and then look for qualifying hotels in that area.

Edited by IsaanUSA