Man Who Shocked And Groped People At Silom Songkran Beaten To Death

webfact

Man who shocked and groped people at Silom Songkran beaten to death

BANGKOK: -- A young man who electrically shocked people and groped women at Songkran festivities in the Silom area was beaten to death on April 15, Matichon reported.

The case began when police from Bang Pong Pang Station found two apparently dead men lying near Bhumibol Bridge on Rama III Road in the Yannawa District of Bangkok. The victims were covered in blood and smelled strongly of alcohol. One man turned out to be alive though and had been playing dead, while the other man, about 20-years-old and identified only as Bang Sid, was dead.

Police later found another survivor of the beatings, 15-year-old Poomtham Somboonrod or “Han”, who told them his side of the story. Han said that he and seven others, including Bang Sid and Pongrapipat, were drinking earlier in Bang Na and then headed to the Songkran festivities in Silom.

Bang Sid brought an electroshock weapon to Silom and was going around asking groups of teenagers what school they attended – if they didn't answer he would shock them. He was also groping women. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...beaten-to-death

-- COCONUTSBangkok 2012-04-20

footer_n.gif

This sad episode says so many things about life in Thailand these days...

--a bunch of drinking late teen types decide to celebrate Song Kran by going to Silom to shock other students with an electric stun gun, not to mention groping women in the crowd.

--some of the rightfully aggrieved victims or their friends decide to respond by beating the offenders to death, succeeding with one and almost succeeding with the other, presumably somewhere amid all the celebration.

--the police are where to be found while all this was going on?

--the surviving offender is a polytechnic college student and the son of a police/custody official (wonder if the kids got the stun gun from good ole' dad)

--the dead offender's face is beaten so bad as to be unrecognizable.

It's hard to know what to say about all of the above... except... Happy New Year to All... welcomeani.gif

• Like 2

--a bunch of drinking late teen types decide to celebrate Song Kran by going to Silom to shock other students with an electric stun gun, not to mention groping women in the crowd.

--some of the rightfully aggrieved victims or their friends decide to respond by beating the offenders to death, succeeding with one and almost succeeding with the other, presumably somewhere amid all the celebration.

--the surviving offender is a polytechnic college student and the son of a police/custody official (wonder if the kids got the stun gun from good ole' dad)

It's hard to know what to say about all of the above... except... Happy New Year to All... welcomeani.gif

You forget, that this is Thailand. smile.png

• Like 1

The polytechnic college students are the ones that keep shooting bystanders and each other on buses and in cars en route to and from their schools... Rival gangs and rival schools...

Something's going on with those "colleges," and whatever it is, it's clearly not good. Really gotta wonder what exactly they're teaching there.

• Like 1

Seems as though Thai males like to take revenge in groups !

It's not JUST an issue in Thailadn these things happen all around the world.

I get really sad when I read a post like this, and I'm quoting this one just because it was the last one I read, no other reason.

Point 1, yes, it does happen in the rest of the world to a varying degree.

Point 2, I don't live in the rest of the world.

Point 3, it shouldn't happen there either.

• Like 2

Not that I agree her deserved to be beaten to death but.

--a bunch of drinking late teen types decide to celebrate Song Kran by going to Silom to shock other students with an electric stun gun, not to mention groping women in the crowd. Agreed but no where different to people in Australia going out getting drunk and deciding to have a fight/beat up someone, for the hell of it. So not just Thailand.

--some of the rightfully aggrieved victims or their friends decide to respond by beating the offenders to death, succeeding with one and almost succeeding with the other, presumably somewhere amid all the celebration. Clearly anyone can be pushed past a limit..

--the police are where to be found while all this was going on Agreed. On the first day of Songkran at Silom someone pulled a knife out and the crowd ran in all directions...was waiting for the police to come and see what was going on...and nothing (this was right under Sala Daeng station as well).

--the surviving offender is a polytechnic college student and the son of a police/custody official (wonder if the kids got the stun gun from good ole' dad) Stun tazers can be bought off the street in Silom (at night), so thats a bit of an assumption and not fair to his father (who may be normal).

--the dead offender's face is beaten so bad as to be unrecognizable Clearly they pushed too far and the wrong people.

It's not JUST an issue in Thailadn these things happen all around the world. Your post makes out like this type of thing ONLY happens here and the rest of the world is much better, when in fact I would disagree.

While the original poster did lament his perception of a deterioration in the quality of life and safety specifically in Thailand, this does not imply that these crimes do not happen in the rest of the world. Even if it did, since when is "It happens other places too" an adequate justification for it happening AT ALL?!?!

And furthermore, the biggest difference between Thailand, and "The Rest of the World" or as I'm sure you really mean, "The West", is that these kinds of crowds would have a MASSIVE police presence surrounding them. (and I mean hundreds of officers visible IN and around the crowd, and maybe thousands close to the large gatherings ready to respond and disperse the crowds.)

I am not an advocate for the police state that the United States is becoming, but to say the situation in Thailand is similar to that in the west (or at least the US, with which I AM familiar) is beyond ludicrous. The crimes committed are certainly no worse than anything in the west, but the response from law enforcement is not even close. I was at Silom last year, I don't recall even seeing a cop from late afternoon when I arrived, till after 11 when we left. Quite aside from the fact that, in the US, this kind of gathering would not be PERMITTED* in the first place, at the first sign of trouble (lets say for instance a man with a knife in the crowd... or a beating of 3 people) the thousands of police in full riot gear backed by armored vehicles with water cannon and tear gas, would be sent in to disperse the crowd and send everybody home. If the incident happened at 5pm, by 8pm the streets would be empty.

*and yes you do actually need a permit to hold a large gathering in the land of "Freedom to assemble" believe it or not!

Every time I return to the US I feel the straight jacket tighten around me, so make no mistake, I am not a fan of authority. Its a majority reason as to why I moved here. But please do not try to equate the situation here, in its entirety, to that in the west. The ONLY thing I have seen the police in Thailand do is set up a helmet check point. They were VERY enthusiastic about enforcement, but of course that was a week before Christmas, and I have not seen ANY similar activity before or since... maybe I'm just jaded. I don't know what the final score for that checkpoint was, but NO ONE was hauled off to jail, and no one was required to leave their bike till the morning, so I guess no one was drinking before driving... at 7 - 11pm... just riding wi/o a helmet, and 200B lighter in the wallet!

• Like 2

The polytechnic college students are the ones that keep shooting bystanders and each other on buses and in cars en route to and from their schools... Rival gangs and rival schools...

Something's going on with those "colleges," and whatever it is, it's clearly not good. Really gotta wonder what exactly they're teaching there.

I believe the answer lies exactly where we have all been suggesting for some time. When (or more likely, 'if') Thailand ever cleans up its police force, ensuring a focus on crime prevention and justice, only then will the country ever have a chance of tackling the gang problems.

Under the current level of policing in Thailand, these youths have free rein, and their bravado grows ever stronger.

Smarten up BIB, or you'll be facing these same people in later years ... head on..!!

• Like 1

--a bunch of drinking late teen types decide to celebrate Song Kran by going to Silom to shock other students with an electric stun gun, not to mention groping women in the crowd. Agreed but no where different to people in Australia going out getting drunk and deciding to have a fight/beat up someone, for the hell of it. So not just Thailand.

--some of the rightfully aggrieved victims or their friends decide to respond by beating the offenders to death, succeeding with one and almost succeeding with the other, presumably somewhere amid all the celebration. Clearly anyone can be pushed past a limit..

--the police are where to be found while all this was going on Agreed. On the first day of Songkran at Silom someone pulled a knife out and the crowd ran in all directions...was waiting for the police to come and see what was going on...and nothing (this was right under Sala Daeng station as well).

--the surviving offender is a polytechnic college student and the son of a police/custody official (wonder if the kids got the stun gun from good ole' dad) Stun tazers can be bought off the street in Silom (at night), so thats a bit of an assumption and not fair to his father (who may be normal).

--the dead offender's face is beaten so bad as to be unrecognizable Clearly they pushed too far and the wrong people.

It's not JUST an issue in Thailadn these things happen all around the world. Your post makes out like this type of thing ONLY happens here and the rest of the world is much better, when in fact I would disagree.

While the original poster did lament his perception of a deterioration in the quality of life and safety specifically in Thailand, this does not imply that these crimes do not happen in the rest of the world. Even if it did, since when is "It happens other places too" an adequate justification for it happening AT ALL?!?!

And furthermore, the biggest difference between Thailand, and "The Rest of the World" or as I'm sure you really mean, "The West", is that these kinds of crowds would have a MASSIVE police presence surrounding them. (and I mean hundreds of officers visible IN and around the crowd, and maybe thousands close to the large gatherings ready to respond and disperse the crowds.)

I am not an advocate for the police state that the United States is becoming, but to say the situation in Thailand is similar to that in the west (or at least the US, with which I AM familiar) is beyond ludicrous. The crimes committed are certainly no worse than anything in the west, but the response from law enforcement is not even close. I was at Silom last year, I don't recall even seeing a cop from late afternoon when I arrived, till after 11 when we left. Quite aside from the fact that, in the US, this kind of gathering would not be PERMITTED* in the first place, at the first sign of trouble (lets say for instance a man with a knife in the crowd... or a beating of 3 people) the thousands of police in full riot gear backed by armored vehicles with water cannon and tear gas, would be sent in to disperse the crowd and send everybody home. If the incident happened at 5pm, by 8pm the streets would be empty.

*and yes you do actually need a permit to hold a large gathering in the land of "Freedom to assemble" believe it or not!

Every time I return to the US I feel the straight jacket tighten around me, so make no mistake, I am not a fan of authority. Its a majority reason as to why I moved here. But please do not try to equate the situation here, in its entirety, to that in the west. The ONLY thing I have seen the police in Thailand do is set up a helmet check point. They were VERY enthusiastic about enforcement, but of course that was a week before Christmas, and I have not seen ANY similar activity before or since... maybe I'm just jaded. I don't know what the final score for that checkpoint was, but NO ONE was hauled off to jail, and no one was required to leave their bike till the morning, so I guess no one was drinking before driving... at 7 - 11pm... just riding wi/o a helmet, and 200B lighter in the wallet!

One other difference is that in the western world, in spite of constant requests by the police not to, ordinary citizens would "have a go", not just stand around as spectators. I myself once disarmed a youth running amok with a knife on a cross channel ferry.

It is a bit odd that it happens with a bunch of geeks attending a polytech school. Don't they usually just build fighting robots and settle things that way? But Thailand has no franchise on violence amongst teens to be sure.

I am pretty sure that if some kid zapped me or my GF with a stun gun, and knowing that the police if spoken to would arrest and extort money from me the victim, I would have beaten the shit out him as well.

Add a lot of water into the mix as well as it coming out of the blue, it would be pretty bad.

Comments way above about the cops are right though; they have a world of trouble hitting soon although it won't bother them because they will only profit from it, as opposed to having to face them.

• Like 1