Crackdown: 25 Resorts Seized In Nakhon Ratchasima's Thap Lan National Park

webfact

Therefore a number of bungalows operated by a single company or family IS a resort!

Not in my book, by definition a resort property (as opposed to meaning an area, townas in "ski" "spa" etc) has more entertainment and recreation facilities than a normal "hotel", even an upscale one.

But even if you use it in the way you seem to accept, I maintain the quantity in the article was used to indicate the number of individual bungalows, not collections.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or do the Thais overuse the word "resort" here?

To me the bare minimum would be swimming pools, tennis courts maybe golf and horseback riding, all self-contained in a single large complex. Other than of course when used for an entire town or area, as in "ski resort, seaside resort".

But I guess there isn't a good English word for "collection of bungalows", maybe "development"?

Were there 70 separate developments, or just 70 houses?

And wasn't this supposed to be a problem caused by foreigners? No mention of that here funny enough. . .

It has been my experiance here in Thailand that they have a different definition for some English words and resort is probably as close as they can come to the Thai definition.

And after all we are in Thailand not the western world.

Leaving the resort definition aside they are still buildings on national park land without any proper authority to be there.

And before any one says well they paid there money remember it was paid as a bribe to commit a illegal act.

Makes no difference if it was paid by a Thai or a Foreigner.

Restoring them to there natural habitat is in line with reforestation to help prevent floods.

Yeah, I'd love to see how they'd react if farang started reinterpreting the meanings of Thai words to fit their own image needs. On the subject of how Thais use English, I get such a kick out of their audacity to reinterpret the actual sounds of English letters based on their own obscure calculations. A perfect example is the high-end hair salon Chalachol, pronounced Cholakon (also Phaholyothin Rd). So according to their logic, the consonant "L", using general English pronunciation rules with the other letters, has TWO possible sounds?! You have to give them credit: they really, really do have b*lls.

Actually it being a tonal language it could have 5 different sounds.

As for there use of the English language well it is no more normal for them than for you to speak Mandarin. And why don't you use general Thai pronunciation rules. And it really has nothing to do with the buildings being illegal. No matter be they Thai or Foreigners who own them.

Is it just me, or do the Thais overuse the word "resort" here?

To me the bare minimum would be swimming pools, tennis courts maybe golf and horseback riding, all self-contained in a single large complex. Other than of course when used for an entire town or area, as in "ski resort, seaside resort".

But I guess there isn't a good English word for "collection of bungalows", maybe "development"?

Were there 70 separate developments, or just 70 houses?

And wasn't this supposed to be a problem caused by foreigners? No mention of that here funny enough. . .

Daddy- where have you been, Mom and I missed you since you ran off, 5555 Nice name dude!

As twisted as it seems, it's a status symbol to have a place built in the National Park.

Generals, Police Chiefs, Politicians, & Special friends of the invisible hand.

And the reason they are now enforcing of the laws?

Revenge and political paybacks.

Nothing to do with protecting the environment.

About time. Dismantle them, recycle the building materials and restore the protected lands.

How about Alpine Golf Resort? We can't have double standards remember.

It's not encroaching on a national park.

But similar in principle and corruption against the monastic orders to the benefit of our good friend Thaksin via his mate So or whatever the guys name is

As twisted as it seems, it's a status symbol to have a place built in the National Park.

OK, amaybe you are right. Frankly, I don't care what the motive is. Enforce the laws and if some people in high places are upset , too bad.

• Like 1

Do you have more information about that ?

The area was promoted at the highest level as a touristic destination and suddenly the forest department declares it wants to weep out tourism from the area. It's difficult to make amy sense out of that.

The area was promoted at the highest level as a touristic destination and suddenly the forest department declares it wants to weep out tourism from the area. It's difficult to make amy sense out of that.

I think it did start last year or maybe 2 years ago, when a 'large' red shirt meeting was organized at one of the resorts, which seem to be illegal and in possession of a red-shirt sub-sub-leader.

For once it's not the farang that will be hit.........unless he was foolish enough to built an illegal resort.

For the meaning of resort in Thai..........it's a bit like the use of "mansion" in names of hotels and guesthouses.

I think it did start last year or maybe 2 years ago, when a 'large' red shirt meeting was organized at one of the resorts, which seem to be illegal and in possession of a red-shirt sub-sub-leader.

For once it's not the farang that will be hit.........unless he was foolish enough to built an illegal resort.

For the meaning of resort in Thai..........it's a bit like the use of "mansion" in names of hotels and guesthouses.

No red shirts there, it's Newin territory.

You may think it's politically motivated against Newin but the action from the forest department started when Newin were still part of the governing coalition.

As I said it's difficult to make any sense from the action of the forest department. Any input will be highly appreciated.

I think you are partially rite.

They do want tourism but not commercial tourism they want tourist's who can enjoy the beauty of the land.

^ If I were cynical, I would say they mostly want to make sure that the tourists dollars fall in the right pocket, their !

With the right connection, and for the right price, you can do whatever you want in the national park. The beauty of the land is the last of their concern.

The Alpine case in the 90s.. The Temple inherited the land but could not afford to keep it, no? Something about taxes, maintenance?

The monks sold Thaksins group that land for a golf course/development. One of Thaksins partners was Interior Minister? Snoh?

My only question that has gone unanswered, did the Monks get fair market value for that property or were they taken advantage of ?

I'm pretty sure there are no land taxes, particularly on temple land, and it doesn't cost anything to maintain if you don't use it.

The story was in the local papers.

The Monks had an excuse to sell the plot of land.

I recall they had to come up with a large chunk of money. Inheritance tax? I forget.

It would only be scandalous if the land was bought at below market value, no?

If that was the case I think the opposition would have made it an issue.

Have a look at this link. If you ignore the bias of the first few paragraphs it is a fairly comprehensive breakdown of the history. Basically Snoh and his wife profited from the land (il)legally? Then they sold the land to Thaksin before he became PM.

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/oldguard/2010/09/16/entry-1

No red shirts there, it's Newin territory.

You may think it's politically motivated against Newin but the action from the forest department started when Newin were still part of the governing coalition.

As I said it's difficult to make any sense from the action of the forest department. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Yeah there must be someone really crazy there. I know from Koh Payam, That the Forest Department tried something but they got armed resistant and one of the resort is owned by an army guy.

But they don't give up and it seems they do it in an opportunistic way. As there are a million cases they take the cases with less resistant or political support first.

But it does not look like they work with any party.....No PTP so they can hassle Newin and Democrats, when the Democrats are back they hassle PTP owner.

Enough cases in Thailand pick the easiest first.....

About time. Dismantle them, recycle the building materials and restore the protected lands.

Or maybe the resorts will be reopened by senior Royal Forest Department officials who will now have a nice little earner and an additional new Mai Noi could be on the cards.

In The Nation today ( http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Raid-on-huge-resort-in-national-park-30180731.html )

A taskforce yesterday raided one of the biggest alleged illegal resorts in Thaplan National Park. Phuwaree Resort, with 47 structures on 63 rai of land, is one of more than 100 resorts and second homes found earlier this year to have allegedly been built against the law within the protected park.

"We have already taken action against 58 resorts and vacation homes," said Nuwat Leelapata, assistant warden of the park.

But at the end of the article :

Public prosecutors have ruled that there are no grounds to sue 50 people initially accused of intruding on parkland.

One can't help but think there is very little legal ground for the actions of the forest department and that SoftGeorge ^ is probably right ...

Raid on huge resort in national park

Prasit Tangprasert

The Nation

30180731-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taskforce yesterday raided one of the biggest alleged illegal resorts in Thaplan National Park. Phuwaree Resort, with 47 structures on 63 rai of land, is one of more than 100 resorts and second homes found earlier this year to have allegedly been built against the law within the protected park.

"We have already taken action against 58 resorts and vacation homes," said Nuwat Leelapata, assistant warden of the park.

Just one suspect was arrested in yesterday's operation, he said.

"Police will have to nail down the encroachers later," he said.

No one was staying at the resort because its manager and owners might have got wind of the authorities' plans, the official said.

The taskforce aims to bust all illegal facilities before the end of this month, he said, adding that there were nearly 500 structures on more than 800 rai.

According to a source, the crackdown on illegal resorts and residences inside the park that spans Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Khieo district and Prachin Buri's Nadi district started last year.

The court has already ordered the demolition of 14 buildings.

Public prosecutors have ruled that there are no grounds to sue 50 people initially accused of intruding on parkland.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-26

^ There are very few "big names" and they are from all sides. The Newin guy has a big resort which is a total disgrace but the action from the forest department started when Abhisit was still in power.

People say the current head of the forest department (the action started when he took office) is a loose cannon, he won't stay for ever, people just need to wait ...

Don't get me wrong I'm not so happy either with the unchecked development of resorts in the area, but they offer a great opportunity of development for the area and the local people. So instead of going from everything is permitted to "we're going to weep out tourism from the area" maybe a bit of planning for an harmonious development of the areas surrounding the national park would be a better solution than what is currently going on.

Illegal, or unofficial resorts, are a greater money spinner for all concerned than an approved harmonious development; going the legal way there is only a couple of people that can take a few boxes of cash where as the underhand way, there are several departments and law enforcers that can get a bit richer from it. A great wheeze, get paid off to ignore it, then when the money is gone and forgotten, rush in, close them down, confiscate them, then get another wheelbarrow full of cash from someone else thinking they are onto a winner,.... and round we go again.

There are a couple of stories going around ...

But the main problems are an outdated system of land titles and no real master plan for the development of the country.

We are not talking about one or two big names but about a few hundreds people who genuinely thought it was ok to invest there and overnight learned that suddenly they are wanted criminals.

The unchecked development of resorts is probably not the best thing for the area. But the current system is not sustainable either.

It's not something that is specific to the area but similar problems are found all over Thailand.

I don't want to go back to the origin of land ownership in Thailand but clearly the system is outdated. So focussing on a couple of big names is clearly focussing on the trees that hide the forest.

They should name and shame the owners and developers of these resorts

Indeed - since they have now been seized there is no reason the names of the resorts shouldn't be public.

Especially since I was planning to go to some resort in the area and I honestly have no idea which ones are legal and not...and really would like to know. And also know if any one the ones I have looked at have now been seized...before paying to some owner that tell me that once I arrive. :)

Indeed - since they have now been seized there is no reason the names of the resorts shouldn't be public.

Except that would interrupt the cash flow, which doesn't help the new/future owners - friends and cronies of those "cracking down".

You don't think they'll actually be razed and the land restored do you? cheesy.gif

Especially since I was planning to go to some resort in the area and I honestly have no idea which ones are legal and not...and really would like to know. And also know if any one the ones I have looked at have now been seized...before paying to some owner that tell me that once I arrive.

I wouldn't let that stop you enjoying a holiday, I'm sure business as usual in 99% of the places.

Just don't make any "investments" anywhere near bordering on any national parks. . .

From The Nation today :

30180793-01_big.jpg

Officials from the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department yesterday raided the four-rai Ban Suan Sukkho resort in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district, the latest of nine resorts found to have encroached on Thap Lan National Park.

Park assistant chief Nuwat Leelapata led 10 officials in the raid who, after failing to locate the resort's owner, measured the area and identified buildings for legal procedures and demolition by Wang Nam Kheow police.

Since April 17, department officials have taken action against 72 sites of land-encroachment comprising 462 buildings, and captured one suspect, while Thap Lan Park officials have raided five locations. Hence, 77 of the 113 targeted cases have now been acted upon.

It's getting completely ridiculous.

Demolition by the police ? The police had already enough trouble to rescue the forest department people when they started a riot with the local villagers, I don't think it want to be involved any further with these actions . Furthermore the previous batch of cases referred to the justice have won against the forest department : no legal ground for prosecution ! So no demolition.

These actions are a total waste of taxpayers money. A reasonable person would have think that after losing the previous cases the forest department would pause and rethink their action. A reasonable person ....

In the meantime, what happen to the people poaching on the wildlife that the forest department is supposed to protect ?

Edited by JurgenG