Group Drums Up Support For Anti-Dam Law

Lite Beer

Group drums up support for anti-dam law

By Janjira Pongrai

The Nation on Sunday

30180429-01_big.jpg

A group of anti-government protesters rally near the Army

BANGKOK:-- The Anti-Global Warming Association will soon dispatch environmental law experts to conduct seminars in 40 provinces and obtain power of attorney from 13,820 people to file a lawsuit at the Administrative Court seeking the cancellation of the Mae Wong Dam Project.

Association president Srisuwan Chanya said yesterday that the association also aimed to gather at least 10,000 signatures in support of draft legislation that would limit dam construction. He said details of the draft legislation would be presented at the seminars so that people could add their signatures to the effort to propose the law, thereby participating in the democratic process while jointly declaring their wish not to see large dam building in future.

He said the draft bill would prohibit state agencies, state enterprises and other public/private organisations from proposing or proceeding with construction of dams with capacity over 50 million cubic metres. It would also prohibit dam construction in 1A watershed-classification zones or in forestland, national parks, conserved areas and wildlife sanctuaries, he said.

The bill would also require that environmental and health impact assessment reports be completed on dam projects before proceeding to construction activity. This would give all stakeholders the opportunity to participate in decision-making at every step, and allow for the gathering of opinions from non-governmental organisations working in environmental and health fields, he said.

The association reasoned that, at present, there were attempts to use large dam construction as an excuse to spend huge budgets on projects that are not economically or environmentally worthwhile. This also leads to the destruction of natural resources and community livelihoods as well as conflicts, so the draft bill was needed to limit such dam construction, it said.

Meanwhile, a group of demonstrators yesterday called on the government to cut the gasoline price to Bt19 per litre, LPG to Bt9, cooking gas to Bt150 per 15 kg and NGV to Bt8.5 per kg, and for lower prices on 2,000 goods, at a rally in front of the Army Club on Bangkok's Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

The demonstration site and nearby areas were guarded by 150 policemen, while soldiers guarded the club area to keep protesters out of military facilities. The rally caused traffic delays in the area.

The protesters, calling themselves "People's Group to Take Power Back from Ungrateful Politicians", announced from a temporary stage on a six-wheel truck that people paid high prices for natural resources due to politicians' administrative failures. They demanded the natural resources be returned to the public and urged the Army to back them. The rally later moved to a site near the Army headquarters on Rajdamnoen Avenue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-22

Good. Dams can be useful, but they fit better for a smaller population world. Similarly, hunting large beasts was useful for our long-ago ancestors, but is not practical now. It's good that the trend of building large dams is passing. The cost in relocated people and in environment destruction is not worth the advantages. Plus, greenhouse gases are released as part of the dynamics of dam construction and their daily operations.

The county I resided in the USA (in California, the trend setter of the world), had a successful prolonged protest in the 1980's - which stopped a French company from building a dam.

Next, Thailand needs to try and slow down China's dam building mania - for the sake of the Salween and Mekong rivers, and for the sake of the people and flora and fauna which are barely holding on in their watersheds. The once mighty Mekong: you can now walk across parts of it with the water just above your knees wet. Future projections indicate it will be considerably lower - much of that thanks to China hoarding water in its seven giant dams upstream.

• Like 1

Good. Dams can be useful, but they fit better for a smaller population world. Similarly, hunting large beasts was useful for our long-ago ancestors, but is not practical now. It's good that the trend of building large dams is passing. The cost in relocated people and in environment destruction is not worth the advantages. Plus, greenhouse gases are released as part of the dynamics of dam construction and their daily operations.

The county I resided in the USA (in California, the trend setter of the world), had a successful prolonged protest in the 1980's - which stopped a French company from building a dam.

Next, Thailand needs to try and slow down China's dam building mania - for the sake of the Salween and Mekong rivers, and for the sake of the people and flora and fauna which are barely holding on in their watersheds. The once mighty Mekong: you can now walk across parts of it with the water just above your knees wet. Future projections indicate it will be considerably lower - much of that thanks to China hoarding water in its seven giant dams upstream.

The only greenhouse gases emitted from a dam come from the rotting of stream-born vegetation. If it didn't happen in the dam, it would occur in the river or ocean. Production of carbon-based gases requires a source of Carbon.

Hydro-generation doesn't reduce total river flow except for some small evaporation loss in the storage area. Done correctly, it will reduce PEAK flows and increase flow in low level periods. If the Chinese are lowering the TOTAL river flow, it is because they are using water for irrigation, industry or human consumption.

• Like 1

I think its worth remembering as well that of the total volume of water on the plant only 3% is freshwater and 50% of that is locked up at the poles as ice. So that 1.5% of water needs to be used to sustain all life. It's a very fine balancing act.and poorly managed dams upset this equilibrium often with disastrous ecological and social consequences.

Whilst not to such a dramatic level, rural England has always faced the same problem. The traditional solution was dew ponds, each farm had its own pond, a mini reservoir. I actually use a modern version of a dew pond in Thailand, I use the water from my aircons to irrigate my plants.

I had always been told that over a period of time dam's loose the capacity to hold so munch water due to to the silt build up in them.

I was also told that there are other methods of water conservation than dam's.

I believe Thaksin had water experts in from Israel to make other recommendations which the following governments ignored.

Edited by hellodolly

I had always been told that over a period of time dam's loose the capacity to hold so munch water due to to the silt build up in them.

I was also told that there are other methods of water conservation than dam's.

I believe Thaksin had water experts in from Israel to make other recommendations which the following governments ignored.

Dam's aren't used for conservation. They're used for water management.

I think its worth remembering as well that of the total volume of water on the plant only 3% is freshwater and 50% of that is locked up at the poles as ice. So that 1.5% of water needs to be used to sustain all life. It's a very fine balancing act.and poorly managed dams upset this equilibrium often with disastrous ecological and social consequences.

There is another huge source of fresh water overlooked by most - in the air around us. OZ invention is a fan driven fridge unit which cools the air flowing over plates, causing fresh water to condense out even in a desert.

It is a matter of time that they have to accept that dams have to be a part of us. It will not take longer 30 years from now. How many floods like last year's flood that Thailand is prepared to face in near future?

Interesting news item, the first part about the dam protest is topical, given that on the 11 April 2012 the Cabinet has approved a budget of THB 13 billion for its construction but combined with the second part about a demonstration against inflation and political mismanagement is indicative of a decaying support for the PTP. Perhaps the 13 billion baht would be better spent on fighting inflation. Although these protests are relatively small, I feel they will grow into a ground swell of disillusioned and disenchanted Thai voters.

Edited by waza

I didn't know CA was the world's trend setter. Since when?

Shanghai is more of a trend setter.

Or are you referring directly to dam trend setters?

Surely Amsterdam would even rule over that trend of CA, in sea dams and barrages?

As for China, well (excuse that pun) they can, simple as.

California is no longer a trend setter, and maybe for one faculty eons ago may has tread water. Nowadays, forget it.

Plenty more CAs around the world than your excuse for a current trend set which doesn't exist, nor did.

-mel.

If the Chinese are lowering the TOTAL river flow, it is because they are using water for irrigation, industry or human consumption.

Precisely. Already in the US, water from the Rio Grande (between Texas and Mexico) doesn't reach the Gulf at certain times. Similarly, the mighty Colorado River only sometimes shunts water down to the Sea of Cortez. I wouldn't be surprised if, in particularly dry years, Water from the Mekong barely trickles down through Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. China would have ready excuses, and who's going to argue? China is not even a signatory to the Mekong River Commission, which includes all the other countries it flows though, so it's not even treaty-bound to do anything other than what it wants for itself.

On the trend-setting topic: It could make for a lively conversation, but I stand behind California as being THE paramount trend setter of the world. Besides it's influencial Movie and TV industries, there's Silicon Valley and the start-ups, hardware, software, internet giants, etc., ad infinitum

Many other things first gained notice in California. We could compare lists, but it might get farcial and frazzled.

As for Shanghai - what trends did they originate? ...chinese karoake? ....skinning snakes alive in restaurants? ....pulverized tiger penis tea for hard-ons?

If the Chinese are lowering the TOTAL river flow, it is because they are using water for irrigation, industry or human consumption.

Precisely. Already in the US, water from the Rio Grande (between Texas and Mexico) doesn't reach the Gulf at certain times. Similarly, the mighty Colorado River only sometimes shunts water down to the Sea of Cortez. I wouldn't be surprised if, in particularly dry years, Water from the Mekong barely trickles down through Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. China would have ready excuses, and who's going to argue? China is not even a signatory to the Mekong River Commission, which includes all the other countries it flows though, so it's not even treaty-bound to do anything other than what it wants for itself.

On the trend-setting topic: It could make for a lively conversation, but I stand behind California as being THE paramount trend setter of the world. Besides it's influencial Movie and TV industries, there's Silicon Valley and the start-ups, hardware, software, internet giants, etc., ad infinitum

Many other things first gained notice in California. We could compare lists, but it might get farcial and frazzled.

As for Shanghai - what trends did they originate? ...chinese karoake? ....skinning snakes alive in restaurants? ....pulverized tiger penis tea for hard-ons?

Exactly Dams are being used as a means to hold water from other areas. There is only so munch water in the world and I realize there are some huge egos in the world but they are all crazy Man can not manage all the fresh water in the world. Even with there feeble attempts they are having problems. Here in Thailand they build dams that just hold water and will eventually fill with silt Here in Chiang Mai the last two floods were caused by the release of the water behind the dams and had nothing to do with rain. No dam no flood. There are other ways to manage the water in the world than build a dam on the land before you pave it.

I do not mean to say there should be no dams but there are other ways that will work and not cause near the devastation you can get from dams.

As for trend setting well let us just say California gets some pretty different type people.

Exactly Dams are being used as a means to hold water from other areas. There is only so munch water in the world and I realize there are some huge egos in the world but they are all crazy Man can not manage all the fresh water in the world. Even with there feeble attempts they are having problems. Here in Thailand they build dams that just hold water and will eventually fill with silt Here in Chiang Mai the last two floods were caused by the release of the water behind the dams and had nothing to do with rain. No dam no flood. There are other ways to manage the water in the world than build a dam on the land before you pave it.

I do not mean to say there should be no dams but there are other ways that will work and not cause near the devastation you can get from dams.

As for trend setting well let us just say California gets some pretty different type people.

Well, as humans breed like rabbits, we must grab every energy we can, cut all the forests and make food.

Alternative birth control, but that makes all the political correct one angry. We need more dams and more nuclear power plants....

Well, as humans breed like rabbits, we must grab every energy we can, cut all the forests and make food.

Alternative birth control, but that makes all the political correct one angry. We need more dams and more nuclear power plants....

I think the general trend is more dams less nuclear power plants or more nuclear power plants less dams. Not more for both types.