Is Bangkok In Thailand?......

theblether

No issue, only opinions. I prefer i city with no facades trying to hide the real soul of the city. I like to see life as it really is for rich, for poor, for happy- and for sadness. For me Bangkok shows it all for Thailand but only if you dare to go where not many farangs have gone like Mr. Buhi claims.

Dr. Kananga i presume?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed living in a concrete monstrosity. Certainly a much more pleasant place to live than the historically significant slum tenemant (just kidding, Blether) that I own in the East End of Glasgow. If you're willing to put your hand in your pocket to preserve that heritage, then fair enough. The Glaswegians do (thanks, Blether!).

I suppose urban planning is like education; we're all experts because we went to school and we've lived in a town. But I would say you'll get more joy from appreciating what's there than whinging about what's not.

SC

You only appreciate what is there when you can identify what has gone. A bit like saying better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. Anyway, as I will be in Singapore for a week next week, I'll have another look for all these historical buildings downtown. Does Lau Pa Sat count?

I supose, depending on your deifinition of soul, you could take a walk round Little India, or Geylang, or go to the zoo or the bird park. I don't think Tiger Balm gardens is still open, but I'm told Chinese Garden is nice. Maybe a quick hike up Bukit Timah to see the radio mast; I always liked to take a drive past the port, and pershaps the old railway station. But what I like most about Singapore is that its Singapore. Clean, efficient, with small industrial estates where people do whatever people do in industrial estates. Its not Edinbugh, and doesn't have tenaments built over tenaments; it doesn't have a castle, or a Cite - that would be Edinburgh, or Carcasonne...

Its not an in-bred city of aboriginals - its an international city, like Monaco or New York. I'd recommend that rather than go to Orchard Towers, you drink all night in the foodcourt in Bencoolen Street, and count them out, and count them back in, like Brian Hanrahan.

I was thinking about the villification that someone on this thread heaped upon the Singaporeans, and my Singaporean colleague. My colleague conforms to every unpleasant characteristic noted, but to my mind, that is specific to them only, While former colleagues (obviously, I had far more Singaporean colleagues when I worked in Singapore) may have conformed to stereotype, many did not, and my Singaporean friends are as pleasant as anyone you could reasonably hope to meet of any nationality. My own obnoxious characteristics, which, I trust, conform to stereotype, are no reason to bear any illwill to theBlether or Smokie, who are as temperate and reasonable as the next man (more so, should they ever stand beside me).

SC

Tiger Balm gardens are still there, but its called Haw Par Villa now. Again, none of these places you mentioned are in the city either. The bird park? Seriously? How many times have you actually been to Jurong bird park? Singapore has some nice attractions but you would only want to do them once, and never on the weekend with the population pushing 6million. Its horrible anywhere remotely interesting on the weekends now. I will be taking a trek up Bukit Timah next week though. One of only two urban rainforests in the world.

The place has definitely passed its best though. Its all going to be downhill from here. Rampant inflation, spiraling cost of living yet stagnating salaries mean that for the first time since independence singaporeans have a lower purchasing power than Malaysians. They weren't the happiest people to begin with, they'll be looking even more miserable in the years to come.

No issue, only opinions. I prefer i city with no facades trying to hide the real soul of the city. I like to see life as it really is for rich, for poor, for happy- and for sadness. For me Bangkok shows it all for Thailand but only if you dare to go where not many farangs have gone like Mr. Buhi claims.

Dr. Kananga i presume?

Correct

I enjoyed living in a concrete monstrosity. Certainly a much more pleasant place to live than the historically significant slum tenemant (just kidding, Blether) that I own in the East End of Glasgow. If you're willing to put your hand in your pocket to preserve that heritage, then fair enough. The Glaswegians do (thanks, Blether!).

I suppose urban planning is like education; we're all experts because we went to school and we've lived in a town. But I would say you'll get more joy from appreciating what's there than whinging about what's not.

SC

You only appreciate what is there when you can identify what has gone. A bit like saying better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. Anyway, as I will be in Singapore for a week next week, I'll have another look for all these historical buildings downtown. Does Lau Pa Sat count?

I supose, depending on your deifinition of soul, you could take a walk round Little India, or Geylang, or go to the zoo or the bird park. I don't think Tiger Balm gardens is still open, but I'm told Chinese Garden is nice. Maybe a quick hike up Bukit Timah to see the radio mast; I always liked to take a drive past the port, and pershaps the old railway station. But what I like most about Singapore is that its Singapore. Clean, efficient, with small industrial estates where people do whatever people do in industrial estates. Its not Edinbugh, and doesn't have tenaments built over tenaments; it doesn't have a castle, or a Cite - that would be Edinburgh, or Carcasonne...

Its not an in-bred city of aboriginals - its an international city, like Monaco or New York. I'd recommend that rather than go to Orchard Towers, you drink all night in the foodcourt in Bencoolen Street, and count them out, and count them back in, like Brian Hanrahan.

I was thinking about the villification that someone on this thread heaped upon the Singaporeans, and my Singaporean colleague. My colleague conforms to every unpleasant characteristic noted, but to my mind, that is specific to them only, While former colleagues (obviously, I had far more Singaporean colleagues when I worked in Singapore) may have conformed to stereotype, many did not, and my Singaporean friends are as pleasant as anyone you could reasonably hope to meet of any nationality. My own obnoxious characteristics, which, I trust, conform to stereotype, are no reason to bear any illwill to theBlether or Smokie, who are as temperate and reasonable as the next man (more so, should they ever stand beside me).

SC

Tiger Balm gardens are still there, but its called Haw Par Villa now. Again, none of these places you mentioned are in the city either. The bird park? Seriously? How many times have you actually been to Jurong bird park? Singapore has some nice attractions but you would only want to do them once, and never on the weekend with the population pushing 6million. Its horrible anywhere remotely interesting on the weekends now. I will be taking a trek up Bukit Timah next week though. One of only two urban rainforests in the world.

The place has definitely passed its best though. Its all going to be downhill from here. Rampant inflation, spiraling cost of living yet stagnating salaries mean that for the first time since independence singaporeans have a lower purchasing power than Malaysians. They weren't the happiest people to begin with, they'll be looking even more miserable in the years to come.

I suppose, if it has passed its best, that qualifies Singapore as a world city, along with Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, New York, Hong Kong, as opposed to a developing city like Mumbai, Shanghai or Guang Dong. Given that SIngapore island is comparable in size to metropolitan London, its hard to think of Jurong as 'outside the city'. I would imagine I would go to the bird park, and the zoo - and, perhaps, Orchard Towers and Parkview Square to see the winefairy, more often if I lived there.

My wife reckoned that in terms of buzz, in terms of prosperity, SIngapore seemed to have surpassed Hong Kong, though her travel experiences are limited such that I would not rely on that. You'd be better to ask a Thai hooker.

Strauing dangerously close to theBlether's topic, I suppose an interesting question is - 'how representative a picture of Thailand would one get from visiting Bangkok?' Is that comparable to the image of the UK that one might get from visiting London? etc.

SC

So Dr. kananga, i presume i would not disagree with you on manything, i would like to beg to differ.

By stating opinions about world cities observations are always in the eye of the beholder there would be no discussion. Similar like you said before "A bit like saying better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all".Therefore indirectly redirecting the topic the OP posted in another topic. Or in another words trolling. I have come to see trollers mostly enlighten discussion and semi-forcefully push a conversation in a new direction.

When relaxing and having a beer i would like to compare world cities with someone. But the misuse of trollage i prefer to discuss on a forum.

So Dr. kananga, i presume i would not disagree with you on manything, i would like to beg to differ.

By stating opinions about world cities observations are always in the eye of the beholder there would be no discussion. Similar like you said before "A bit like saying better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all".Therefore indirectly redirecting the topic the OP posted in another topic. Or in another words trolling. I have come to see trollers mostly enlighten discussion and semi-forcefully push a conversation in a new direction.

When relaxing and having a beer i would like to compare world cities with someone. But the misuse of trollage i prefer to discuss on a forum.

How could one misuse trollage?

wow, a run-on non sequitur. cool.

Edited by nocturn

I wish I could write in another language, that I could run it through googletranslate to lend an air of incomprehensible authority to my ravings.

Strauing dangerously close to theBlether's topic, I suppose an interesting question is - 'how representative a picture of Thailand would one get from visiting Bangkok?' Is that comparable to the image of the UK that one might get from visiting London? etc.

Quite right SC,

If you walk into central London you are surrounded by history, and London has managed to get the balance just about right between modern development and preservation of the past. In my opinion London and Rome are the premier cities in World history, both preserve their past wonderfully, and London is most certainly at the forefront of the modern world.

Bangkok seems to be badly lacking any kind of strategy and that is tragic. Bangkok should be one of the Jewels of the East, it should be striving for premier World city status, and it should be a city of Wow, not <deleted>?

Maybe the horse has bolted and BKK, and maybe it will be difficult to get the balance right in the city. The unfortunate thing is that the governments are not giving the people of the city the city that they deserve, as in my opinion the people of Thailand are the true Jewels of the East.

I wish I could write in another language, that I could run it through googletranslate to lend an air of incomprehensible authority to my ravings.

Thanks guys, so everybody except me, is drinking now?

SC

I suppose, if it has passed its best, that qualifies Singapore as a world city, along with Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, New York, Hong Kong, as opposed to a developing city like Mumbai, Shanghai or Guang Dong. Given that SIngapore island is comparable in size to metropolitan London, its hard to think of Jurong as 'outside the city'. I would imagine I would go to the bird park, and the zoo - and, perhaps, Orchard Towers and Parkview Square to see the winefairy, more often if I lived there.

My wife reckoned that in terms of buzz, in terms of prosperity, SIngapore seemed to have surpassed Hong Kong, though her travel experiences are limited such that I would not rely on that. You'd be better to ask a Thai hooker.

SC

Its hard for you to think of Jurong as outside the city because you are viewing Singapore as a city, not a country. There are parts of SIngapore that are completely agricultural and almost devoid of buildings.

Just out of interest how long did you spend in Singapore?

Thanks guys, so everybody except me, is drinking now?

No I'm sober.......you should see the cr*p I write when I'm drunk. drunk.gif

Dear the blether,

Let me put it this way then. You call Bangkok a terrible place, right? And this opinion is based on your friend took you to soy cowboy and your concrete, grey opinion. If you go to the suburbs and live with the thais its just like anywhere else in Thailand. It's a worldly city worthy to explore if you open you eyes. So i ask you a question: what is specifically better about being outside of bangkok to get a different view about Thailand?

Dear the blether,

Let me put it this way then. You call Bangkok a terrible place, right? And this opinion is based on your friend took you to soy cowboy and your concrete, grey opinion. If you go to the suburbs and live with the thais its just like anywhere else in Thailand. It's a worldly city worthy to explore if you open you eyes. So i ask you a question: what is specifically better about being outside of bangkok to get a different view about Thailand?

No not quite right, I have spent more time than that in BKK, so I am certainly not stating that Soi Cowboy is representative of Bangkok. I am disappointed that BKK seems so soulless, just a giant concrete carbuncle that has drowned it's history in mortar.

I have also said that I am noting the advice given as to the best places to visit and I will take that advice gladly given. My mind is not closed to the matter......

To answer your question, the rhythm of life in other parts of Thailand seems to be a lot more in sync, the mix of old and new seems to be a lot more in balance. Chiang Mai in particular seems to have protected it's heritage while at the same time being a modern vibrant city. Obviously when you go into the truly rural areas there is a totally different beat to life again but I'm not that stupid as to expect the vibrant capital of the country to move to a rural beat.

Thailand is full of life, vigour and colour, and to me it seems to be extinguished once it hits the BKK city limits. It's a disappointment, it should be a Wow city.

Interesting topic. I actually feel much the same as the OP (Theblether), though in my case it's more of a love-hate relationship with the city. It definitely gets better when you have friends there who know their way around, have a convenient and comfortable 4-5 star place to stay, and you remember not to walk *anywhere* but take taxis even for the shortest possible distances.

I would of course never visit Bangkok for fun/leisure, but when I have to go, I do find there are many things you can do to make it borderline enjoyable, if you can get over the cost. (Or can expense the cost)

EDIT: Heh, I would never have thought I would actually use the word 'enjoyable' in the same line as Bangkok.. But there it is. For the first 10 years in Thailand I really considered it absolute hell on Earth. Of course even these days I wouldn't stay a second longer than needed, often opting to fly into BKK in the morning, and then depart the same evening. Or when I have to be there over a weekend then I make sure I'm on a bus out by Friday afternoon. (Doesn't matter to where)

Still all things considered, I think the absolute best feature of Bangkok is that it's very central in Thailand, and it's easy to go to a variety of good places within hours of taking off your tie on Friday afternoon.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Bangkok has become sanitised. These days one needs visit places outside the centre to find true depravity and fabulous food.

Much like London in fact.

London (like it or hate it) remains totally fascinating . Sanitised it is not lol.

It still remains one of the top places for food from a vast selection of cultures, the architecture is outstanding and if you are looking for depravity it can be found in many boroughs i.e. Tower Hamlets which also has a wide dichotomy of some of the most expensive houses in London on the canals.

I suppose, conversely, do you think the boonies are in Thailand? Would Thailand be any worse off if Isaan was foisted off on Laos?

Yes, Bangkok is overcrowded and lacks the natural beauty of the Countryside

I've travelled Thailand a bit, and I love the Countryside as much as the islands, but I do like living in the city (or just outside it). Bangkok is pure Thailand, it's just busier and noisier than you're used to.

I'm a city boy myself too, definitely need those services and resources available not too far away, but it sure would be nice to live in the woods up on a hill catching a breeze of cleaner air.

Anyone know of such a location say two hours away from Pattaya, or from BKK? at 3am to remove the traffic variable.

I suppose an interesting question is - 'how representative a picture of Thailand would one get from visiting Bangkok?' Is that comparable to the image of the UK that one might get from visiting London? etc.

And since 60-70% of the population are unskilled labor/subsistence peasant, I would say not very. And beyond statistics, I just find these people much more to my liking than those hustling the country toward further development. And when they are in the city, they just aren't themselves cut off from home - get the family all back upcountry for Song Kran or a big wedding and boy, that's the Thailand I love the most - not so much the noisy festivities themselves, but the lazing around days before and after, everyone just hanging out chatting and eating. That's what I miss most being in the city.

Bangkok seems to be badly lacking any kind of strategy and that is tragic. Bangkok should be one of the Jewels of the East, it should be striving for premier World city status, and it should be a city of Wow, not <deleted>?

It's impossible for me to imagine Thailand being able to do rational development planning, much less effective enforcement. So many components required to make that happen are missing here.

But that helter-skelter hodgepodge chaos *is* the spirit of the city, if it has a soul it's a lost and howling one, and I prefer that to the sterility of Singapore or Zurich. In fact I've gotten to the point that clean and tidy surroundings make me uncomfortable, as if such places are a false-front Disneyland.

Why don't you Bangkok people paint your buildings, say, once every 20 years?

You ride a bus in on Sukhumvit, the primest real estate, and it looks like Mogadishu.

http://g.co/maps/tmnaa

http://g.co/maps/rspjw

It's fine if you all enjoy living in a Third World dump, but then don't pretend to be something else. People notice.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Quite right SC,

If you walk into central London you are surrounded by history, and London has managed to get the balance just about right between modern development and preservation of the past. In my opinion London and Rome are the premier cities in World history, both preserve their past wonderfully, and London is most certainly at the forefront of the modern world.

Maybe the horse has bolted and BKK, and maybe it will be difficult to get the balance right in the city. The unfortunate thing is that the governments are not giving the people of the city the city that they deserve, as in my opinion the people of Thailand are the true Jewels of the East.

Perhaps I have lost it. Maybe I have lived here too long. But that is great. That is the slogan that would change Thailand forever. That is the one that will turn the country around for good. "BANGKOK <deleted>"

I hope TAT is watching Thai Visa. I can see it on airlines, taxi cabs, the back of women's jeans. It is beautiful and complete in its message and impact. It is not Amazing Thailand. It is BANGKOK <deleted>!

Why don't you Bangkok people paint your buildings, say, once every 20 years?

You ride a bus in on Sukhumvit, the primest real estate, and it looks like Mogadishu.

http://g.co/maps/tmnaa

http://g.co/maps/rspjw

It's fine if you all enjoy living in a Third World dump, but then don't pretend to be something else. People notice.

Whose pretending? I love my third world dump. Its 25 meter lap pool, private lift lobby and excellent facilities are very close to my heart. As is the cool jasmine fragranced breeze along my soi, the abundance of good restaurants and 15 minute commute to work. I wouldn't change my third world dump for anything.

• Like 1

Ari is a soulless, crushing, concrete nightmare as I pointed out in a recent post about the area. I lived there for a year or so not too long ago. It's all strip malls and international/local chains and trendy kids running around chittering into expensive mobile phones and so on. It's an upper middle-class and upper-class enclave of mostly walled houses and compounds dotted by office buildings and the above and it's not at all representative of the entirety of Bangkok.

You have to get out and around and really get to know a huge city of (unofficially) 10+ million to understand it and the first thing you'll understand, like with all cities this size, is that it's segmented by neighborhood and that even with the street-to-street changes in character, most neighborhoods have a relatively distinct and cohesive identity.

This OP sounds more like the musings of a typical tourist who spends time in a few areas, sees Bangkok from taxi and skytrain windows and then declares to the world what it is. "Welp guys, I've seen your 5 star hotels and your 2 star hotels, as well as Soi Cowboy and your hospitals, and your city sucks, bye!" Don't let the door hit you smile.png

Edited by emilyb
  • Like 2

Ari is a soulless, crushing, concrete nightmare as I pointed out in a recent post about the area. I lived there for a year or so not too long ago. It's all strip malls and international/local chains and trendy kids running around chittering into expensive mobile phones and so on. Ari is an upper middle-class and upper-class enclave of mostly walled houses and compounds dotted by office buildings and the above and it's not at all representative of the entirety of Bangkok.

You have to get out and around and really get to know a huge city of (unofficially) 10+ million to understand it and the first thing you'll understand, like with all cities this size, is that its segmented by neighborhood and that even with the street-to-street changes in character, most neighborhoods have a relatively distinct and cohesive identity.

This OP sounds more like the musings of a typical tourist who spends time in a few areas, sees Bangkok from taxi and skytrain windows and then declares to the world what it is. "Welp guys, I've seen your 5 star hotels and your 2 star hotels, as well as Soi Cowboy and your hospitals, and your city sucks, bye!" Don't let the door hit you smile.png

I dont think you are understanding the OP at all!wink.png It could be that he sees the chronic drainage system. the blackened cement buildings, spaghetti junction of electricity cables and so forth. He is searching for "some heart" to the city me thinks and not this.

Bangkok-electricity-cables-by-moniquz@flickr.com_.jpg

Edited by edwinclapham

The first time I visited Bangkok I hated it, I had planed on staying a week to get a feel for the city, I left after one day. It was a culture shock to me. It was hot, it smelled, and it was crowded.

I ended up visiting two more times on that trip and each time it grew on me. Now I love visting Bangkok, just like every world city there are endless opportunities to explore. Sometimes I just wander down random sois to see what I can find. Or I'll just hop on the first bus that comes by and take a ride. I've always managed to find something worth seeing.

Now it holds a place in my heart next to NYC, Hong Kong and London.