Introducing Sarita Colonia, The Patron Saint Of Homosexuals And Taxi Drivers ... (Etc.)

Jingthing

I say introducing, because seriously have you ever heard of Sarita Colonia? She lived and died in the Peru of last century and is considered the patron saint of taxi cab drivers, bus drivers, prostitutes, transvestites, homosexuals, prisoners, illegal immigrants, general desperadoes of all kinds, and possibly thieves and thugs.

You can be more than one!

post-37101-0-83827400-1335213919_thumb.j

http://arturovasquez...sarita-colonia/

OK, I'm not Catholic or Peruvian but I think this is pretty cool.

There is a more interesting graphic I wanted to post but decided it didn't meet the community standards here. To see it, google Sarita Colonia images and I'm sure you'll notice the one I'm talking about on the first page of results.

I know what y'all are thinking. Not another ambiguously gay topic about folk Catholic beliefs, Peruvians, and bus drivers. ermm.gif

Edited by Jingthing

She looks very sad......and yet strangely murderous.

I do love what the South Americans have done with catholicism...

I didn't see any graphic depictions in google images..search results on this are not consistant between users.

I'm not going to go anywhere near her name...

I think I got the one you mean, JT- yeah, it probably wouldn't pass muster, though it certainly isn't 'prurient'. Interesting juxta position of the milkbottle with the, um, phallus.

Maybe if one is looking for some over-arching adjective to use for sainthood, she is the patroness of STREET LIFE? :P:D

• Like 1

Sorry, JT, but as an ex-Catholic I have to tell you that Sarita isn't a saint. I recall that Saint Sebastian, also the patron saint of soldiers, is more widely acknowledged, albeit unofficially, as the patron saint of gays.

You are so literal. OBVIOUSLY, this is about a specific FOLK Catholic tradition in one country -- PERU. Nothing to do with the Papacy ... so not need to say sorry. Bus drivers and homosexuals, it's just too funny. Edited by Jingthing

I say introducing, because seriously have you ever heard of Sarita Colonia? She lived and died in the Peru of last century and is considered the patron saint of taxi cab drivers, bus drivers, prostitutes, transvestites, homosexuals, prisoners, illegal immigrants, general desperadoes of all kinds, and possibly thieves and thugs.

Sounds very Catholic to put the gays among these types of people...

They don't really want us to be protected by a saint. The want us to be cured or stop existing.

The holy year the pope refused to meet the gay representatives, I turned to Buddhism. Can't remember how long ago that was.

Yeah, I hear you. I noticed that too. But not completely. Bus drivers and taxi drivers (especially) need to deal with lots of randomness, chance, and risk with whom they "work" with. Similar to a cruisy gay in a way. Not defending any religion but at least in Peru having this saint of mostly social undesirables has a certain charm.

Edited by Jingthing

I have some gay friends in one of the regional capitals of the Philippines. Things have improved a bit with internet and more phones around, but before then the only way to meet new people was to head into town (preferably on a weekend night) and stroll around on very dicey streets and hope you were lucky (in more ways than one). They hinted though that if you were giving out a gay vibe it wasn't as dangerous because the street folks would consider you part of the local scene. One of my friends said he would go out of his way to be nice to guys who were hanging out regularly in different places for whatever reason (pickpockets? drug sellers? hustlers? etc.) because you never knew when their help or warning advice could be useful.

I have the feeling that was probably Sarita Colonia's crowd....