Anzac Day Memorial Service

Memorial to what?? A long past war of British aggression against Turkey. Australian and New Zealanders fighting for a foreign power in a foreign country far from their home. As a New Zealander I am ashamed by what we did

Memorial to what?? A long past war of British aggression against Turkey. Australian and New Zealanders fighting for a foreign power in a foreign country far from their home. As a New Zealander I am ashamed by what we did

What an ignorant remark .Anzac Day encompasses various military actions.If people wish to pay their respects they can.

If you are not interested or have nothing to say to the OP's question,on your way. Your comment is taken as a troll & off topic. This is not a political discussion.

• Like 2

XXXXXX.

Lest we forget.

Edited by Rooo

Coming from the UK I was not really aware of ANZAC day. Only here in Samui, with more Australians and New Zealanders around, am I more knowledgeable.

To take one day a year to pause, reflect, and respect those that have died does not sound unreasonable. Especially when most of those casualities were in lands a long way from home, fighting for causes perhaps not immediately related to their own countries, and on a voluntary basis. I read somewhere, that Australians especially, lost more of their people during such conflicts on a per capita basis than many other countries. Forgive me if I have that statistic wrong.

I'm not sure how many Anzac Day services there are in Thailand, but possibly the only one that is an official commemoration is held every year at Hellfire Pass (Chong Khao Kad) in Kanchanaburi province, about 100km west of Kanchanaburi on the road to the Three Pagodas Pass border with Myanmar. The second part of the commemoration takes place at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetary in Kanchanaburi city later on the same morning (11am). The dawn service begins around 5.15am and is followed by a so-called "gunfire breakfast" which consists of a coffee with a shot of whiskey.

The Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce (AustCham) who I used to work for organises the event and they do it very well. It's a very meaningful event, which starts on the 24th in the morning with a trip that starts in Bangkok and heads over to a local school not far from Hellfire Pass, where the Chamber organises some events, provides gifts and organises a lunch. This is followed by checking-in to a local hotel, then free at leisure until dinner. On the morning of the 25th, the bus takes visitors and those taking part in the Anzac Day dawn service to the pass, a few km away. After the end of the event and the breakfast mentioned above, visitors will have breakfast at their hotel followed by the journey to the War Graves Cemetary for the Commemoration Ceremony there. Lunch is held near the Bridge over the River Kwai followed by return to Bangkok.

I think it is well worth attending this ceremony and for those interested, they should contact the Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce should they wish to attend next year's service.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 2

I'm not sure how many Anzac Day services there are in Thailand, but possibly the only one that is an official commemoration is held every year at Hellfire Pass (Chong Khao Kad) in Kanchanaburi province, about 100km west of Kanchanaburi on the road to the Three Pagodas Pass border with Myanmar. The second part of the commemoration takes place at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetary in Kanchanaburi city later on the same morning (11am). The dawn service begins around 5.15am and is followed by a so-called "gunfire breakfast" which consists of a coffee with a shot of whiskey.

The Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce (AustCham) who I used to work for organises the event and they do it very well. It's a very meaningful event, which starts on the 24th in the morning with a trip that starts in Bangkok and heads over to a local school not far from Hellfire Pass, where the Chamber organises some events, provides gifts and organises a lunch. This is followed by checking-in to a local hotel, then free at leisure until dinner. On the morning of the 25th, the bus takes visitors and those taking part in the Anzac Day dawn service to the pass, a few km away. After the end of the event and the breakfast mentioned above, visitors will have breakfast at their hotel followed by the journey to the War Graves Cemetary for the Commemoration Ceremony there. Lunch is held near the Bridge over the River Kwai followed by return to Bangkok.

I think it is well worth attending this ceremony and for those interested, they should contact the Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce should they wish to attend next year's service.

Thanks, that's great information.

As a first generation Aussie (my parents emigrated from England), I have grown up with ANZAC day, and always get lumps in my throat when at the services, or listening to the stories (and watching the grief) of the diggers. I can still remember when the last ANZAC digger died almost 10 years ago. This should be a day when politics do not matter, and when we should all give thanks for the sacrifices of all the men and women in all the conflicts that our countries have served in. Lest we forget. (I spent six years in a relationship with a Kiwi girl, and her attitude towards this day certainly did not match gamini's.)

I went to HellFire pass for the first time mid to late last year. About the same time I found out about the ANZAC day celebrations there and within the province. I was a little disheartened that I didn't know about it earlier in the year since I only spent the day getting pissed in Phuket. I made it a mission to return this year and make amends.

I'm super glad I did. It's been a hot day, and it brings back many memories for myself as an ex serving member–although I never saw active service. I have always been deeply proud to be an Aussie, and proud of the ANZAC spirit.

Notes on Tomtomtom69's post above:

1. The hellfire pass dawn service commenced 0530hrs. I tried and thought I'd get there early, but I'm sure some people camped there. We were there half hour early, and it was standing room only.

2. The service in town commenced 1000hrs. A fantastic turnout and very pleased with the efforts of all who attended.

The day could have been made a little better if only I could have found the ANZAC Day NRL game somewhere live on tv. It was good to see Collingwood get up, but only saw highlights for the StGeorge/Roosters game.

Regardless, a great day for remembrance.

Lest we forget.

I went to HellFire pass for the first time mid to late last year. About the same time I found out about the ANZAC day celebrations there and within the province. I was a little disheartened that I didn't know about it earlier in the year since I only spent the day getting pissed in Phuket. I made it a mission to return this year and make amends.

I'm super glad I did. It's been a hot day, and it brings back many memories for myself as an ex serving memberâ€"although I never saw active service. I have always been deeply proud to be an Aussie, and proud of the ANZAC spirit.

Notes on Tomtomtom69's post above:

1. The hellfire pass dawn service commenced 0530hrs. I tried and thought I'd get there early, but I'm sure some people camped there. We were there half hour early, and it was standing room only.

2. The service in town commenced 1000hrs. A fantastic turnout and very pleased with the efforts of all who attended.

The day could have been made a little better if only I could have found the ANZAC Day NRL game somewhere live on tv. It was good to see Collingwood get up, but only saw highlights for the StGeorge/Roosters game.

Regardless, a great day for remembrance.

Lest we forget.

Thank you for visiting us in Kan Madivad.

As for NRL, sorry most of us watch EPL over here whistling.gif

Win from Kan thumbsup.gif