Suzuki Swift

chuang

I did ordered the new Swift in the first week of June in the GLX version (Snow White Pearl). They said delivery will be in January. Indeed you need to shop around. With some dealers you don't get anything at all and can pay even your plate holder. I was lucky that I found a dealer nearby my house who could offer me film, matts and the plate holder. Well at least something. But I need to pay my own insurance and my back sensors (in color) for THB 5,000. But then you have for me the most irritating point and that are those Suzuki dealers. I don't like all of them, they act not professional and have also a kind of arrogancy. Even with a long delivery time they act like they have the "car of the future". Pity for a car like the new Swift to have this kind of dealers, because the car deserve more.

Secondly what I don't like is the way of communication. Some dealers say delivery in 4 months, others 6 months and some 1 year. Well, what is it now? I think Suzuki don't know it themselves. But I really don't like the lack of info. On the suzuki website not one word about the long delivery times. Even other media don't talk about it. Only promoting a car they can deliver in the most worse case after 1 year! That's what I call arrogancy first class. Last time I read in the Bangkok Post an article that Suzuki Thailand will only make Swift's for their own Thai customers and will not export to neighbour countries for the time being due to shorten the delivery times. After that... very very quiet!

At least inform your customers as a manufacturer. And when you ask your dealer (when you get them on the phone...) if they know already some more about the delivery time, you get the answer... "it's still not January, you want to cancel?" Is that the answer a customer is waiting for? The point is that a dealer knows exactly when your car will be delivered. They order the car at the factory and every month they got from the factory a update in paper and in their computer system in which week the car will be manufactured. Put another week extra and the car is at the dealer. So why the dealer don't give that information when a customer ask for it? Afraid the factory will submerged in the coming months? Otherwise I don't know. I asked my friend who works with Nissan and all manufacturers in Thailand works with the same principle I just described.

Indeed I'm thinking to look further, because this arrogancy says enough for the near future. We drive also a Honda Jazz and perhaps I'm spoiled by the Honda organization where I got always a smile and at least the proper information I need. When we ordered our Jazz last time we had the problems with flooding and at least we got a nice letter with an apology and that the car will come as soon as possible. Eventually it was 3 weeks later as planned. That's communication towards a paying customer. We don't buy a bottle of water for 15 baht!

If you don't like Suzuki try Toyota they are a bunch of arrogant asshol_e's on Samui. I for one like the Swift and will look soon to order one as a run around.

Well I don't like Toyota cars, so for me it's easy to skip them, haha. Wish you good luck in ordering your Swift, hope you have a long breathe wink.png

OK looks like I need along breath. I arrived in Ubon for a holiday last week went into Suzuki to-day to look at the Glx Swift was impressed plenty of leg room and I'm 183cm and with adjustable steering reach and the seat can height adjust and key less start all this hard to find on a 1ml bt car. The waiting time is 7 months as I would be number 551 on the list. I still want but it's a big if.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did ordered the new Swift in the first week of June in the GLX version (Snow White Pearl). They said delivery will be in January. Indeed you need to shop around. With some dealers you don't get anything at all and can pay even your plate holder. I was lucky that I found a dealer nearby my house who could offer me film, matts and the plate holder. Well at least something. But I need to pay my own insurance and my back sensors (in color) for THB 5,000. But then you have for me the most irritating point and that are those Suzuki dealers. I don't like all of them, they act not professional and have also a kind of arrogancy. Even with a long delivery time they act like they have the "car of the future". Pity for a car like the new Swift to have this kind of dealers, because the car deserve more.

Secondly what I don't like is the way of communication. Some dealers say delivery in 4 months, others 6 months and some 1 year. Well, what is it now? I think Suzuki don't know it themselves. But I really don't like the lack of info. On the suzuki website not one word about the long delivery times. Even other media don't talk about it. Only promoting a car they can deliver in the most worse case after 1 year! That's what I call arrogancy first class. Last time I read in the Bangkok Post an article that Suzuki Thailand will only make Swift's for their own Thai customers and will not export to neighbour countries for the time being due to shorten the delivery times. After that... very very quiet!

At least inform your customers as a manufacturer. And when you ask your dealer (when you get them on the phone...) if they know already some more about the delivery time, you get the answer... "it's still not January, you want to cancel?" Is that the answer a customer is waiting for? The point is that a dealer knows exactly when your car will be delivered. They order the car at the factory and every month they got from the factory a update in paper and in their computer system in which week the car will be manufactured. Put another week extra and the car is at the dealer. So why the dealer don't give that information when a customer ask for it? Afraid the factory will submerged in the coming months? Otherwise I don't know. I asked my friend who works with Nissan and all manufacturers in Thailand works with the same principle I just described.

Indeed I'm thinking to look further, because this arrogancy says enough for the near future. We drive also a Honda Jazz and perhaps I'm spoiled by the Honda organization where I got always a smile and at least the proper information I need. When we ordered our Jazz last time we had the problems with flooding and at least we got a nice letter with an apology and that the car will come as soon as possible. Eventually it was 3 weeks later as planned. That's communication towards a paying customer. We don't buy a bottle of water for 15 baht!

If you don't like Suzuki try Toyota they are a bunch of arrogant asshol_e's on Samui. I for one like the Swift and will look soon to order one as a run around.

Well I don't like Toyota cars, so for me it's easy to skip them, haha. Wish you good luck in ordering your Swift, hope you have a long breathe wink.png

OK looks like I need along breath. I arrived in Ubon for a holiday last week went into Suzuki to-day to look at the Glx Swift was impressed plenty of leg room and I'm 183cm and with adjustable steering reach and the seat can height adjust and key less start all this hard to find on a 1ml bt car. The waiting time is 7 months as I would be number 551 on the list. I still want but it's a big if.

There is a new review in headlightmag.com (in Thai) which states that if you order now, delivery is due next September! However if you want the manual (which was shown to be faster, cheaper and more economical), you can get it pretty fast. Must forgo abs though:(

Culicine,

According to my post above we ordered one (well started the finance proceedings) on the 17th September. Yesterday we got a call saying our car will be ready to pick up on the 19th of this month. Pretty 'swift' delivery if you ask me.

This is the manual version in blue. We wanted blue, but I remember the saleswoman said that white had a longer waiting time.

John1, I say the exact same thing about autos! :-)

Does anyone know the current delivery time on the manual swift?

Come on why would anyone want a manual?

short delivery time, faster, more economical, cheaper....just sucks in BK traffic!

Not only in BKK traffic.. Sucks also in hill starts, upon having to negotiate difficult progresses, and having to move up a hill.

short delivery time, faster, more economical, cheaper....just sucks in BK traffic!

Not only in BKK traffic.. Sucks also in hill starts, upon having to negotiate difficult progresses, and having to move up a hill.

The only hill starts I'd need would be going up the car park in Centralbiggrin.png

Culicine,

According to my post above we ordered one (well started the finance proceedings) on the 17th September. Yesterday we got a call saying our car will be ready to pick up on the 19th of this month. Pretty 'swift' delivery if you ask me.

This is the manual version in blue. We wanted blue, but I remember the saleswoman said that white had a longer waiting time.

John1, I say the exact same thing about autos! :-)

That's great, I look forward to your report after you have driven it a bit. From which dealer did you make your order? Interestingly we were told that the white auto might be a little quicker in delivery than the blue because a lot more of white are being made. I guess they make them in batches. So we told them to put us down for white, and will take whatever comes in first. My wife is reluctant to get a manual - she can drive it but doesn't like it in traffic. Not that I'd let her drive it much anyway:) Your manual will have steel wheels and you could change them for some lightweight 15" for a bit more enhanced acceleration. That's what I'd probably do anyway, even if I get the 16" wheels with the auto.

We ordered in Trang, south Thailand, but we won't get it until the end of the month as we are on holiday at the moment. We probably will change the wheels, although it will be to 17in, just because it looks cooler. I don't suppose you know anything about tyres do you? We will need to go for 205/45's but I have no idea what are good. The main for us for me is wet weather performance as its going to be the wife's car and rubbish tyres in the wet are worse than rubbish in the dry.

Manuals suck with hill starts???

Learn to drive! :-)

We ordered in Trang, south Thailand, but we won't get it until the end of the month as we are on holiday at the moment. We probably will change the wheels, although it will be to 17in, just because it looks cooler. I don't suppose you know anything about tyres do you? We will need to go for 205/45's but I have no idea what are good. The main for us for me is wet weather performance as its going to be the wife's car and rubbish tyres in the wet are worse than rubbish in the dry.

Yep the 17" look cooler but with such low HP it might affect acceleration, if that matters to you. I've also been looking at tyres and reviews of them, though I was looking at 15" tires, so the range available is less. I found some good reviews yokohama s-drive, which are also available in 17". I also like michelin pilot sport 3, but have not looked at reviews of them. It's a good idea to do some net research yourself to get an idea of what sounds suitable. Do you want comfort of performance? I prefer a combination of excellent wet and dry performance, with good comfort. Too comfortable tyres have soft sidewalls so you can't push them hard into corners. I'd tend to avoid no-name brands - they may be fine at the start but often they don't wear well and can become very noisy. have you driven sedans with 17" wheels before? The ride is quite significantly harder than with 15" wheels....you can also change out the springs but don't go to low as negative camber in the rear will chew them quickly - been there done that - hence I changed my rear springs back to stock and kept lowered ones in the front (the difference between front and rear is about 1", so it doesn't look too weird and still handles fine.

Second that....it is not the manuals which suck with hill starts....it is the driver operating it.

Second that....it is not the manuals which suck with hill starts....it is the driver operating it.

Not a problem for me, as I got that covered... And I know how to do it. wink.png But for beginners, it might be an issue.

Not a problem for me, as I got that covered... And I know how to do it. wink.png But for beginners, it might be an issue.

My first car was a 1974 clubman mini, so yeaah a manual is no problem. That clutch had max 1 inch of travel before it grabbed. A great learning exercise in driving stick!

Yep the 17" look cooler but with such low HP it might affect acceleration, if that matters to you. I've also been looking at tyres and reviews of them, though I was looking at 15" tires, so the range available is less. I found some good reviews yokohama s-drive, which are also available in 17". I also like michelin pilot sport 3, but have not looked at reviews of them. It's a good idea to do some net research yourself to get an idea of what sounds suitable. Do you want comfort of performance? I prefer a combination of excellent wet and dry performance, with good comfort. Too comfortable tyres have soft sidewalls so you can't push them hard into corners. I'd tend to avoid no-name brands - they may be fine at the start but often they don't wear well and can become very noisy. have you driven sedans with 17" wheels before? The ride is quite significantly harder than with 15" wheels....you can also change out the springs but don't go to low as negative camber in the rear will chew them quickly - been there done that - hence I changed my rear springs back to stock and kept lowered ones in the front (the difference between front and rear is about 1", so it doesn't look too weird and still handles fine.

I'm not to fussed about the dip in acceleration as the Swift is slow already. Should some easy (and cheap) performance enhancing mods become available i would like to fit them as long as it won't effect the car in normal driving mode. Maybe a supercharger like Mad Max had that you can switch off for about 10k baht. :-) I wish!

Back home I had a Seat Leon Cupra R with a chip that was pushing about 260-270hp, that had 18in wheels standard that made the fillings fall out of your teeth. Personally overall comfort in the ride is very low on my priorities. The Seat went through a new set of tyres every 8,000 miles after rotating. Brilliant tyres, Goodyear F1 asymmetrical. Loads of grip in both wet and dry conditions. Having driven cars with awful wet weather tyres I personally want this to be the priority for the Swift as it lacks abs and as my wife is learning to drive in it. Wet weather is the most likely time for an accident if there is no grip for a beginner with no abs. Not trying to sound like an expert, but I can 'drive around' or compensate for lack or dry grip when I want to thrash it. :-)

I'm not to fussed about the dip in acceleration as the Swift is slow already. Should some easy (and cheap) performance enhancing mods become available i would like to fit them as long as it won't effect the car in normal driving mode. Maybe a supercharger like Mad Max had that you can switch off for about 10k baht. :-) I wish!

Back home I had a Seat Leon Cupra R with a chip that was pushing about 260-270hp, that had 18in wheels standard that made the fillings fall out of your teeth. Personally overall comfort in the ride is very low on my priorities. The Seat went through a new set of tyres every 8,000 miles after rotating. Brilliant tyres, Goodyear F1 asymmetrical. Loads of grip in both wet and dry conditions. Having driven cars with awful wet weather tyres I personally want this to be the priority for the Swift as it lacks abs and as my wife is learning to drive in it. Wet weather is the most likely time for an accident if there is no grip for a beginner with no abs. Not trying to sound like an expert, but I can 'drive around' or compensate for lack or dry grip when I want to thrash it. :-)

You can try here for a header/exhaust: http://www.suzukiswiftclub.com/index.php?topic=2888.225

They seem to do good work. I don't know any other company making a header for the swift eco yet. They could probably ems one down to you and you get it fitted there. It looks like they use a 4-2-1 design and add a sports can further down. Sod the "eco" bit lol. I've been told that adds about 8-10 HP, bringing it close to mazda 2 engine HP. I think I mentioned you can get runstop big brake kits now, with a rear disc conversion too. No worries about it stuffing up your abslaugh.png As you know, without ABS you just need to pretest the limits of the braking system and try to stay within those limits in normal driving. Wide sticky tires can help there.

I am tempted to switch my GLX auto booking to the GL manual.

92k less and delivery in 2 months instead of september next year! Hopefully the september date is very pessimistic...

Some useless options missing

- 16" alloy wheels (looks nice but the car would drive the same)

- fog lights (no fog ever in my area and those lights pretty useless with fog anyway)

- blinkers on outside mirrors (who cares)

- electronic aircon panel (not sure if usefull or not)

- radio control buttons on steering wheel (totally useless as the radio is 10cm away from the steering wheel)

But also some crucial options missing : no ABS and no Airbag for passenger.

I'm not sure my driving skills are good enough to be able to brake efficiently without ABS. I never had ABS before and pretty much never would have used it but I don't drive aggressively and it was in europe. It would be my first car in thailand and kamikaze motorbikes are coming out of nowhere, they scare the shit out of me.

Anyway, my gf will use the car a lot too, she's a new driver and it would be absolutely necessary for her.

Would it be possible to add an ABS module afterwards? If yes for how much?

92k less and delivery in 2 months instead of september next year! Hopefully the september date is very pessimistic...

- fog lights (no fog ever in my area and those lights pretty useless with fog anyway)

- radio control buttons on steering wheel (totally useless as the radio is 10cm away from the steering wheel)

I'm not sure my driving skills are good enough to be able to brake efficiently without ABS. I never had ABS before and pretty much never would have used it but I don't drive aggressively and it was in europe. It would be my first car in thailand and kamikaze motorbikes are coming out of nowhere, they scare the shit out of me.

Anyway, my gf will use the car a lot too, she's a new driver and it would be absolutely necessary for her.

I know you like the suzuki but other manual eco cars have abs, such as the brio and mirage....it's quite bizarre they kept the stop start and keyless entry but drop the abs! ABS is especially important in very wet and slippery conditions where its hard to modulate the pedal to stop locking up. I think I've activated my abs 8 times in as many years, and most of those situations were not critical (except one where I ended up stopping a couple inches behind another car, but the travelling speed was quite slow. I had one scary experience in my old honda city that had no abs - car pulling out in front of me on a highway - brake lockup. Apart from that I rarely locked the brakes in that car. Without abs you will need to learn the limits of the braking system in different driving conditions - how much can you press them before they lock. And get the super stickiest tires you can find too:)

Having abs is obviously better than not having abs and it was something I worried about before I order the Suzuki manual. However it's worth pointing out that the Suzuki does have good brakes as I tested them in damp conditions a few posts back. The Suzuki will stop so much quicker than my pick up that does have abs, so it's not as clear cut as you would think. In fact I would say the brakes on my 2011 Ford Ranger are teetering on the dangerous - just no real emergency stopping power.

Most posters on here learnt to drive without abs I would guess and even the McLaren F1 didn't have abs.

My advice would be to test the manual Suzy and do an emergency stop, you might be suprised - I was and I have no qualms now about teaching mrs mjj to drive in it.

Having abs is obviously better than not having abs and it was something I worried about before I order the Suzuki manual. However it's worth pointing out that the Suzuki does have good brakes as I tested them in damp conditions a few posts back. The Suzuki will stop so much quicker than my pick up that does have abs, so it's not as clear cut as you would think. In fact I would say the brakes on my 2011 Ford Ranger are teetering on the dangerous - just no real emergency stopping power.

Most posters on here learnt to drive without abs I would guess and even the McLaren F1 didn't have abs.

My advice would be to test the manual Suzy and do an emergency stop, you might be suprised - I was and I have no qualms now about teaching mrs mjj to drive in it.

I think you will find the GL has disk and drums rear, the GLX disc all round. I could be wrong if so please say so.

I think you will find the GL has disk and drums rear, the GLX disc all round. I could be wrong if so please say so.

No discs in LoS swifts, even in the glx. No eco car in LoS has rear discs, though to be honest they aren't really required with such small cars. Runstop have a rear disc conversion for 19K baht. Having said that I found the brakes very good when I drove my friends swift, though I dared not to test them out to the max with passengers:)

Here we go !!!

Finally I have found it !

http://profile.yellowpages.co.th/en/520809820685001

The above place has been recommended to me for modifications and especially in car entertainment on the suzuki swift. Its not far from me so I will visit there first chance I get and report accordingly.

Also the swiftclub page re rims etc, click and play, enjoy

http://www.thaisuzukiswiftclub.com/mod/mag.php

Swift club homepage (Thai) http://thaisuzukiswiftclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,633

I got an average of 15% discount on all accesories (bodykit) bought from the dealer at time of purchase

It's okay for British people, we learn how to drive before we buy cars. I have driven autos, but for me they are not better, and as previously mentioned with a 1.2 car, the manual is cheaper and more efficient.

I'd definitely want ABS with Thai roads though...

It's really funny to read all the reactions here and why people choose for an manual or CVT-version.

First of all let me explain something. We are talking about a eco-car, which means it's fuel consumption is lower as with other cars in the same segment (B). Then the mistake about the reactions that a manual is more fuel saving then CVT versions. Not at all! because people put CVT and automatic transmissions in one "envelope" without knowing what is the difference. It's not the same! With other words, I don't use a clutch so it's a automat! I can start very technical but let's skip that. In the BKK traffic the CVT-version (which is in the Swift) is in terms of saving fuel the same as an manual version. Although it depends also on the way how you drive the car. When I look to the average traffic I ask myself sometimes, do they really care about fuel saving? or ... their car?

Looking to myself, I like to have the CVT-version. It's actually funny. In Europe all cars are with a manual transmission. When you prefer an automatic/ CVT-version, you need to pay around 3.000 euro more! But anyway, I like also the GLX version, looks good, nice wheels, nice interior, fog lights etc etc. so for me the choice was easily made.

About driving skills I can be short, let they first start in Thailand with a proper driving education. It cost me in Europe around 5 months, 4.000 euro lighter, but... I got a perfect driving education which include everything a driver needs to know, including safety for your self and... others!

By the way, my friend went last week to the dealer for ordering his Swift. Indeed around 7 months delivery time at the moment for every version, so I guess when you really want it, order it! it's a nice car and before you know the 7 months are done. If not, choose another car, so easy is it!

I order it the first week of June this year, so now already end of October... really the time is going fast! and before I know it's January when my delivery is planned.

You didn't explain much in your post.

Automatic transmission cars have always consumed more fuel than the manual ones, simply because they had less gears, some inneficiencies in the choice of gear, and extra weight to carry.

They are now catching up with and sometimes even getting better thanks to new technology like robotized 6 gear transmission and clever programming.

But for the swift, it's still the old school 4 speeds CVT which is worse than a manual transmission for fuel consumption and performance.

Cf this road test http://www.headlight...00-cc&Itemid=73

Auto swift : 18km/l

Manual swift : 17km/l

Not so much different I agree, it isn't important in the decision process, at least for me.

The choice is not so easy...

swift GLX : automatic (easier to drive for the wife), double airbag, ABS, a few useless options but very long waiting list

swift GL manual : manual (fun to drive for me, faster), 90k cheaper, only 2 month waiting but no ABS and passenger airbag

I booked the GLX for the moment but am tempted to switch to the manual version

Edited by pistachios

But for the swift, it's still the old school 4 speeds CVT which is worse than a manual transmission for fuel consumption and performance.

While CVT's have been around for a while now, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to them as 'old school', heh. Normally that type of language would be reserved for torque converter AT's... ;)

While CVT's have been around for a while now, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to them as 'old school', heh. Normally that type of language would be reserved for torque converter AT's... wink.png

Well, I would consider the DAF an old school CVT.

While CVT's have been around for a while now, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to them as 'old school', heh. Normally that type of language would be reserved for torque converter AT's... wink.png

And how does a CVT have 4 speeds? It's the same gearbox as in the March.

And how does a CVT have 4 speeds? It's the same gearbox as in the March.

Well some have 'faked' gears, but yes, the Jatco unit used in the March, Almera and Swift doesn't :)

You didn't explain much in your post.

Automatic transmission cars have always consumed more fuel than the manual ones, simply because they had less gears, some inneficiencies in the choice of gear, and extra weight to carry.

They are now catching up with and sometimes even getting better thanks to new technology like robotized 6 gear transmission and clever programming.

Cf this road test http://www.headlight...00-cc&Itemid=73

Auto swift : 18km/l

Manual swift : 17km/l

Not so much different I agree, it isn't important in the decision process, at least for me.

The choice is not so easy...

swift GLX : automatic (easier to drive for the wife), double airbag, ABS, a few useless options but very long waiting list

swift GL manual : manual (fun to drive for me, faster), 90k cheaper, only 2 month waiting but no ABS and passenger airbag

I booked the GLX for the moment but am tempted to switch to the manual version

Note, although in Thai and I couldn't completely understand it, I think there is a production limit of 500 vehicles for the MT version. I'd check with suzuki about that. If true you might miss out if you don't order early. On fuel consumption, I think in highway driving the CVT will be more efficient (less than 2000 rpm at 100 km/h) , though the manual isn't as bad as the manuals of other brands (about 2800 rpm),