Google Selling Galaxy Nexus For Usd 399 / 12K Baht

nikster

post-139820-0-10143800-1338212355_thumb.

Can you share any details re: the name/location of the shop? It might help others?

il upload their business card now ,give me 10 min

just finished rooting the device smile.png

How can you verify it is a legit SGN as opposed to grey market copy? Did it come in Samsung box? and everything looked ok?

post-139820-0-10143800-1338212355_thumb.

Can you share any details re: the name/location of the shop? It might help others?

il upload their business card now ,give me 10 min

just finished rooting the device smile.png

How can you verify it is a legit SGN as opposed to grey market copy? Did it come in Samsung box? and everything looked ok?

These are "grey-market" imports. They were not imported by the local subsidiary. They were imported by other channels. They are legitimate product, at least the ones I looked at were. There is no such thing as a grey-market copy?

This is similar to the Samsung Galaxy Notes for 15,000.

Samsung Thailand would not, in theory, offer warranty service on these.

These are "grey-market" imports. They were not imported by the local subsidiary. They were imported by other channels. They are legitimate product, at least the ones I looked at were. There is no such thing as a grey-market copy?

Ok. So is it like a plain white box, but 100% genuine samsung parts; or is it a full retail-looking box?

The only risk is if something goes wrong with the phone, you might be SoL or have to pay for repairs yourself, correct? In most cases I've seen repair prices actually pretty reasonable.

Ok. So is it like a plain white box, but 100% genuine samsung parts; or is it a full retail-looking box?

The only risk is if something goes wrong with the phone, you might be SoL or have to pay for repairs yourself, correct? In most cases I've seen repair prices actually pretty reasonable.

The unit I looked at has what looked like a standard Samsung/Google box, white with a color picture of the phone on the front. I am 100% certain it was 100% genuine.

I confess I did not look at the enclosed warranty card, but that would determine where one would obtain warranty service if required. It could very well have been Samsung Thailand, or Samsung U.S.A. (Dallas, TX), or Budapest, Hungary. ;)

I saw on a Thai forum that someone claimed they got an SGN for 11,900 but I cannot determine the shop/location.

The old batch had australian warranties, the one I got had German/euro warranty. From reading online though warranty claims need to be done through place of purchase and you SOL with imports unless shop offers specific warranty. So safe to assume you are buying without warranty.

The old batch had australian warranties, the one I got had German/euro warranty. From reading online though warranty claims need to be done through place of purchase and you SOL with imports unless shop offers specific warranty. So safe to assume you are buying without warranty.

right. do they have thai language pre-installed, or does the shop give you language pack?

right. do they have thai language pre-installed, or does the shop give you language pack?

I'm not sure there is any easy way to install a language pack in android other than flashing a new rom that supports it?

Didn't come with thai language no. If you just want to be able to type thai you can just install a thai keyboard. Can switch easy enough just hold down the spacebar

I'm not sure there is any easy way to install a language pack in android other than flashing a new rom that supports it?

Didn't come with thai language no. If you just want to be able to type thai you can just install a thai keyboard. Can switch easy enough just hold down the spacebar

I thought the integration into the spacebar where you can select multiple language keyboards came native with samsung stock software and depended on the stock languages in system language settings. That's cool if you can add your own keyboard and allow switching to it via spacebar swipe.

But I was referring to ability to switch system language (localize the interface) so thai gf can understand the menus.

The unit I looked at has what looked like a standard Samsung/Google box, white with a color picture of the phone on the front. I am 100% certain it was 100% genuine.

I confess I did not look at the enclosed warranty card, but that would determine where one would obtain warranty service if required. It could very well have been Samsung Thailand, or Samsung U.S.A. (Dallas, TX), or Budapest, Hungary. wink.png

I saw on a Thai forum that someone claimed they got an SGN for 11,900 but I cannot determine the shop/location.

the mbk ones are from korea ,as such ,samsung thailand will refuse to repair them at any price

I believe someone got one for 11,900

when i was paying 12,600 they asked me if id like to pay using a credit cad or cash (meaning they were prepared to take another 3% hit to get 12,600 from me )

its pea-nuts anyway so i didnt argue

the quality of the phones is questionable ,i am not sure if these are 2nds that maybe didnt pass all the QC tests in the korea factory

mine has very very weak wifi reception ,slower cpu and gpu (compared to the gs2 ) and the pictures are pretty grainy and pixelated (i expected that anyway but they look worse than id imagined ,dont even try to use the zoom :) )

screen is nice resolution and size though and battery life is prety god though

i have tested all with 5-6 roms and multiple kernals and the hardware is a little disapointing for a phone thats supposedly "better" than the gs2

I confess I did not look at the enclosed warranty card, but that would determine where one would obtain warranty service if required. It could very well have been Samsung Thailand, or Samsung U.S.A. (Dallas, TX), or Budapest, Hungary. wink.png

the mbk ones are from korea ,as such ,samsung thailand will refuse to repair them at any price

I believe someone got one for 11,900

when i was paying 12,600 they asked me if id like to pay using a credit cad or cash (meaning they were prepared to take another 3% hit to get 12,600 from me )

its pea-nuts anyway so i didnt argue

the quality of the phones is questionable ,i am not sure if these are 2nds that maybe didnt pass all the QC tests in the korea factory

mine has very very weak wifi reception ,slower cpu and gpu (compared to the gs2 ) and the pictures are pretty grainy and pixelated (i expected that anyway but they look worse than id imagined ,dont even try to use the zoom smile.png )

screen is nice resolution and size though and battery life is prety god though

i have tested all with 5-6 roms and multiple kernals and the hardware is a little disapointing for a phone thats supposedly "better" than the gs2

Thanks for the honest appraisal.

I was under the impression the CPU specs (with the SGS2) were similar (TI v. Exynos), but yes, the GPU was a little less featured.

Re; WiFi, I might try different radios; you should be able to find CWM-flashable ZIPs? I've had to flash several dozen in order to get one which offered optimum 3G, voice quality, GPS lock and WiFi performance. KC1 or JK4 (I9000) work best for me, am on DTAC. Not sure about the 9250 naming convention.

Thanks for the honest appraisal.

I was under the impression the CPU specs (with the SGS2) were similar (TI v. Exynos), but yes, the GPU was a little less featured.

Re; WiFi, I might try different radios; you should be able to find CWM-flashable ZIPs? I've had to flash several dozen in order to get one which offered optimum 3G, voice quality, GPS lock and WiFi performance. KC1 or JK4 (I9000) work best for me, am on DTAC. Not sure about the 9250 naming convention.

its still a lot of phone for roughly 12k or maybe 11k soon as the gs3 pushes prices of everything else down even further ,i just think they could have put a little more work into it and blown everything away and made it the phone that sets standards for all android phones

the screen is the most important part of a touch screen smartphone IMO and they have done that very well (better than GS2)

,text looks crisp no matter how small you make it and colouring is more realistic on the nexus

Ram is ram so a gig is a gig i suppose

why they would use a GPU from 2-3 years ago in a new flagship device is astounding though ?

also ,why they would install 2 cameras thats about 50% more grainy and crapper than an older "flagship" phone i dont know

the soundcard in the speaker will have to be hacked also if you would like to hear notifications (default is way too low to hear )

the cpu is also 1.2 ghz but it doesnt blaze through tasks as fast as the GS2

some of the "hot new features " are basically useless

All phones have ICS now so the single largest advantage to choose this is gone

NFC chip in it is a waste of hardware in thailand ,i dont know any place that it can be used (maybe it can but i just dont go to those places )

and Android beam is a bit like face unlock, its cool the first time you use it but its not something youre going to be using much after the "novelty " wears off

and not many phones support it yet also so you may not be able to use it with your friends unless they have top spec phones

GS2 is now 13k (same price give or take a few hudred thb ) also in mbk so there is a good choice of almost top end phones for sensible money now

(some say galaxy nexus will get JELLY BEAN 5.0 (where the sgs 2 may not etc ) but thats not worth thinking about at this stage )

Edited by YipYipYa123

Here's an interesting comparison between the Nexus and the Droid Razr. You may be surprised.

[media=]

[/media]

If I ever buy another phone it will be the Razr Maxx with the huge battery. The Maxx is quad band GSM and 3G.

http://www.gsmarena....r_maxx-4666.php

that video test is nearly a mirror image of what i get when comparing the "new " nexus to the "old" gs2

the GS2 like the RAZR surpasses it in practically every test .......

for a phone that had the potential to be the best phone in the world ,it appears they decided to go " el cheapo" on a few components

According to that review ,the nexus doesnt even have gorilla glass either ? Maybe it was googles idea to use cheaper components so

they could drop the price rapidly and get more users on their android platform

wouldnt be impressed if i paid 22,000 thb for this when first released but the current price is quite fair

I certainly didn't get the impression of any 2nds quality yip. My wifi signal good as gold. Haven't bothered to look at any benchmark comparisons but bear in mind the Gnex is pushing a lot more pixels than the sgs2 which will affect things. Photos hit or miss in my experience - some nice, some pretty poor.

Mine is an import from germany not korea. I'm sure mbk has imports from all over the place. Another batch I saw was from Aus.

I thought the integration into the spacebar where you can select multiple language keyboards came native with samsung stock software and depended on the stock languages in system language settings. That's cool if you can add your own keyboard and allow switching to it via spacebar swipe.

But I was referring to ability to switch system language (localize the interface) so thai gf can understand the menus.

ya I don't think this is possible without flashing a new rom with thai built in (and I'm not sure if they exist)

I certainly didn't get the impression of any 2nds quality yip. My wifi signal good as gold. Haven't bothered to look at any benchmark comparisons but bear in mind the Gnex is pushing a lot more pixels than the sgs2 which will affect things. Photos hit or miss in my experience - some nice, some pretty poor.

Mine is an import from germany not korea. I'm sure mbk has imports from all over the place. Another batch I saw was from Aus.

its still a very good phone

its only when you compare it to the previous heavyweight champion of android (GS2 ) it falls on its ass in almost every aspect except screen

I did all my testing against gs2's but people in the states have tested it against the motorola razr and it was signifignatly worse in many areas

like signal and some bugs and glitches

doesnt matter now anyhow ,its been surpassed already by the sgs3 so there is a new "top spec" model to take the focus of the nexus and some of its flaws

in comparison to the iphone and others

The comparison with the Droid Razr is pretty useless; it is running GB. Further it has a smaller battery, the MAXX (3,500 mAh battery) is CDMA/Verizon only and not available here. The RAZR, technically now a Google phone wink.png, is available here for ~ 17,900. The Gorilla Glass thing is over-hyped unless you will be using your phone for a cutting board. rolleyes.gif

I believe Android 4.0.x has Thai language UI, Settings, Language & input, Language.

You can add multiple active input methods, i.e. language options on the input keyboard selectable from the space bar. Use any app. to get to keyboard input, press/hold the microphone icon, slide to the settings pop-up (or in Settings, Language & input, press/hold the settings icon, then choose all the languages you want. (You may have to add the Thai keyboards of your choice: arch, DroidSans, etc.).

For 12,000 the SGN is hard to beat, but now that the SGS2 is 13,500 (wholesale) I'm leaning towards the SGS2.

post-9615-0-50214700-1338867682_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-69975600-1338867693_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-24381400-1338867704_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-88579100-1338868085_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I believe Android 4.0.x has Thai language UI, Settings, Language & input, Language.

It only lists the languages from the region your phone comes from though. Mine is imported from Euro so has English and a few different Euro languages. I don't think there is any way to add languages to this list without flashing a new rom. Not that I know of anyway.

edit: Actually running new rom which only has those languages. Pretty sure I checked when I got phone and couldn't see thai listed though.

Edited by lennois

Why does GB outperform ICS ?

Not sure if it does or not but wouldn't be a surprise. Generally as software moves forward it requires more powerful hardware to run at same speed. Ms dos is blazing fast on my comp here ;)

I think the Galaxy 2 is still a better phone than the Nexus especially with a good extended use battery. Since I'm not in the habit of looking at the display with a magnifying glass, the extra pixels with the Nexus means very little. As far as ICS, I think it needs some more tweaking to be as good as GB. No doubt it will eventually be a better system but not yet. If the screen size is a concern, I'd wait for the Galaxy 3 that comes with a little larger battery.

Battery life is a major issue for me. My next phone WILL have a huge battery. The nearest to that today is the 3300 mAh Razr Maxx. That phone should be available here in Thailand soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For 12,000 the SGN is hard to beat, but now that the SGS2 is 13,500 (wholesale) I'm leaning towards the SGS2.

i've seen ppl quoting the SGS2 as being available for 12,000 baht ... anybody any idea which shops r offering this price ??

thanks