Uk Police: Madeleine Mccann May 'Still Be Alive' 5 Years After Kidnapping

News_Editor

UK police: Madeleine McCann may 'still be alive' 5 years after kidnapping 2012-04-26 06:46:24 GMT+7 (ICT) LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- British police have uncovered new evidence which suggests missing girl Madeleine McCann may have been abducted and is currently living with her abductor, five years after the incident, officials said on Wednesday.McCann was almost four years old when she was kidnapped on May 3, 2007, while vacationing at a holiday apartment in the beach resort of Praia de Luz in Portugal. "As a result of evidence uncovered during the review, [detectives] now believe there is a possibility Madeleine is still alive and are appealing for anyone who is able to provide direct information as to her whereabouts to contact the team," police said in a statement.Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), which is best known as Scotland Yards, also released an age progression image of Madeleine on Wednesday. The image was released after close collaboration with the parents of Madeleine, whose ninth birthday approaches on May 12.Investigative efforts have been carried out in close collaboration with a senior investigating officer from Portugal's Policia Judaria and British detectives have traveled to the country on several occasions. Officers are currently reviewing approximately 40,000 pieces of information equating to approximately 100,000 pages in the investigative process. In addition, they have also identified around 195 items within historic material which are also believed to be 'genuinely new material.'The objective of the review team is to work with the Portuguese authorities with a view to having the case, which has remained closed since 2008, re-opened in due course. "We are working on the basis of two possibilities here," said Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood. "One is that Madeleine is still alive; and the second that she is sadly dead.""Based on the former we are releasing the age progression image today with a specific appeal," Redwood added, requesting anyone who has new direct information or evidence regarding McCann's whereabouts to contact authorities. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-26

As sad and confusing as this case has been all along and as much as it has divided opinion in families, across work-space and dining-room tables it has to be said that the following statement could easily have been made by a Thai politician. This is not to "attack" Thai politics, but to remind the dissenters (me included) that this kind of statement can be made by top figures from anywhere in the world. That said I know that DCI Andy Redwood could easily swap careers to one in Thai political PR.

"We are working on the basis of two possibilities here," said Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood. "One is that Madeleine is still alive; and the second that she is sadly dead."

Like, really?

If she is still alive, she may have been abducted by someone who very much wanted to have a child to raise.

I believe that if she were taken by a sexual predator, she might long ago have been disposed of.

Part of me thinks both of these 2 outcomes would be equally horrific..

Utterly agreed. As a father it is a scary thought that often keeps me awake at night.

It is an empty statement to actually say that she is either alive or dead though. I wasn't aware of any other option. The photo would have been handy in this case, particularly as Thailand is popular with individuals wishing to "disappear" from Western view and this forum is the most convenient medium to get the image circulated.

Part of me thinks both of these 2 outcomes would be equally horrific..

Utterly agreed. As a father it is a scary thought that often keeps me awake at night.

It is an empty statement to actually say that she is either alive or dead though. I wasn't aware of any other option. The photo would have been handy in this case, particularly as Thailand is popular with individuals wishing to "disappear" from Western view and this forum is the most convenient medium to get the image circulated.

As requested..

co31707mccann.jpg

• Like 1