Is It Crazy Hot?

Nisa

I'm out of the country for a couple weeks but looking at the weather in Bangkok, it looks like it has been insanely hot ... 39 - 40. Says it is going to stay this way through the weekend. I don't look at the weather too much, when there, but believe very hot days are usually around 36 or 37. Am just surprised I haven't seen anyone talking about the weather, if it really is this hot, because it would seem close to record breaking hot ... not to mention it must be brutal especially if humidity levels are high.

Edited by Nisa

I thought I recall reading, before moving the Bangkok, the highest recorded temp in BKK was 40 point something (below 41). Again, I rarely look at the temps when I am there, and it just shocked me when I saw it was this hot on the weather sites. One reason I don't look too much at the weather is being from the US and us still using the Fahrenheit system. So, when I looked using my computer here and saw 102, I was just very surprised.

Good I am not alone. This last week has been torture. We were in The Emporium the other day and decided to take our daughter to the park. We were there for maybe 5 minutes when we just could not take anymore. Our faces were totally flushed and we all felt near faint. These past days have been the hottest I have ever felt. Totally miserable.

"In recent times the highest recorded temperature in April has been 40°C that's 103°F, with the lowest recorded temperature 22°C, about 72°F."

Climate History

Bangkok forecast - Friday 39, Sat 38, Sun 39, Mon 40

Interesting about the current temperature now (2:00AM)

Temperature

30 °C

Feels Like 40 °C

Wunderground

Chiang Mai is the same (38-39 degrees) - was out doing some shopping and spent about 30 minutes walking around outside and my shirt was drenched and the heat stifling.

• Like 1

Historical highs for Thailand: Chart shows lowest and highest historical recorded temperatures.

THAILAND

Bangkok 9.9 40.8

Pattaya 14.6 37.3

Phuket Town 16.9 37.8

Koh Samui 18.6 36.5

Surat Thani 12.4 39.8

Narathiwat 17.1 39

Chiang Mai 3.7 42.4

Chiang Rai 1 41.3

Udon Thani 2.5 43.9

Ubon Ratchathani 7.6 42.4

Sakon Nakhon -1.4 42.3

Dan Sai -1.5

Uttaradit 4.5 44.5

http://www.mherrera.org/temp.htm

Historical highs for Thailand: Chart shows lowest and highest historical recorded temperatures.

http://www.mherrera.org/temp.htm

Very cool - thanks for sharing.

I wonder if any people died in Bangkok when it got down to 9.9. I could swear I see news reports every couple years of people dying up north from exposure when temps are around 14 or 15.

In Thailand during any twelve month period there are three seasons and they are..........

Hot

Hotter

and

Hottest..........

Personally I prefer ...Hot which, ironically, is the coolest !!

It's mostly about the humidity this year. Especially in the morning, where it's already around 30C but still close from 70% humidity.

This is why the "feels like" in weather forecasts is probably the most important thing to look at. It's an estimation grouping both humidity and temperature. 30C with 70%humidity feels pretty much the same as 35C with 50% humidity.

So fare temperatures haven't really gone up more than 37-38, but it felt way worse than that.

It has been really hot. I remember some time last year these was what I call Air con season a week of cold weather I did not see it this year. Most of the time we do not even use our AC but its been running a lot lately. It gets so hot the inside of my ears sweat. I think its been close to a record in Bkk for a few days.

I think it just feels so much hotter this year as last March/April were much cooler than normal. So far in April we are average 1.8C above normal for the high. Average highs so far this month: Sirikit Park - 36.6 (97.9F), Bang Na Weather HQ - 35.7 (96.3F), my condo in OnNut area same as Bang Na, Swampy airport - 35.2 (95.4F). Pathum Thani area has even been slightly warmer than downtown. But it is even hotter in portions of north/northeast Thailand with highs 40 to 42 each day. Lampang almost 42 yesterday. As been mentioned it is the RH% which is higher (80% this morning) near the gulf waters and it doesn't help that the lows are so warm already, 29/30C (84/86F). Oppressive temps with instant sweating. blink.png

Currentley im at Lampang have to say the heat is quite tremendous up here, havent looked at the temperature gauge but felt high up in the 38-39 mark.

a round of golf at Mae Moh (where the power plant is) after the first two holes it felt like i had done a full 18 back home. and this was in the morning sun, towards noon i just wanted the game to finish. by the end i had 7 empty water bottles in my cart.

a few days back in chiang mai i noticed a couple of signs up in shops saying "closed too hot will open april 29"

im actually looking forward to getting back to chiang mai where it felt a little bit cooler

It's been absolutely brutal the past week. It's getting over 100F almost every day. Even in the middle of the night its still mid 80s. Completely unlivable for me right now without air con. The electric bill is going to be ridiculous this month. Horrible, unbearably bad weather right now.

"In recent times the highest recorded temperature in April has been 40°C that's 103°F, with the lowest recorded temperature 22°C, about 72°F."

Climate History

Bangkok forecast - Friday 39, Sat 38, Sun 39, Mon 40

Interesting about the current temperature now (2:00AM)

Temperature

30 °C

Feels Like 40 °C

Wunderground

Chiang Mai is the same (38-39 degrees) - was out doing some shopping and spent about 30 minutes walking around outside and my shirt was drenched and the heat stifling.

The highest recorded maximum temperature is 40.8 °C (105.4 °F) in May 1983

I made the mistake of chatting to a friend who was sitting in his car, whilst I stood outside, for 30 minutes at 4pm yesterday. Shakey legs today, an upset stomach, awful headache and I didn't dare get on my little Honda. Took the taxi today and noticed the temp on a Wippawadee bus stop at 5pm today, 39'c. That will teach me!

It's after midnight and its 34.5 degrees outside. Did some laundry today and clothes dried up very quickly .

The hottest day this year , we will probably hit 40 degrees today. saai.gif .

It's definitely pretty dam_n hot right now. I'm ginger and very fair skinned so I've been walking about with factor 50 sunblock on and an umbrella. Also I've been vouching getting taxis every where just because of the aircon benefits. Otherwise I arrive at work looking like a drowned sweaty rat. How professional teacher like! D: I've started carrying 2 tops around with me just in case.

Speaking of nice sunblock, ive been using 50spf on my face for years now but recently picked up 130spf from tops. Now ive never seen anything that is this high in the states or even close to it, anyone know if the Japanese have a different way of calculating this?

Not that bad, I grew up in the southern U.S. and this is about normal mid-summer temps, also lived in Bahrain and the Gulf region, that was crazy hot.

I was in BKK last Friday, walked a few kms around Yaowarat...Very hot for my girl friend, but normal for me.

I was in Delhi once and the temperature was 49 , well that's hot , forget walking around !