Sunburn And Rash

JAS21

So I took my wife to Koh Surin and she did a lot of snorkling over three days, mainly lying face down and apparantly did not apply any suntan cream on the back of her legs. On the boat back to the mainland I wondered why she stood all the way!

We then drove to Khao Lak and thats when I learnt that she had burnt the back of her legs. Next morning a rash developed which seems to get less in the day but worse at night.

It's now a week since we left Koh Surin and she still has the rash and has been applying an anti alergy cream and liquid Yar Maung. I'm getting a bit concerned now as I know it itches a lot so would like to take her to a skin doctor at a hospital.

Recommend please doctor or hospital or both ......................thanks

She may be allergic to what u are using. The best treatment for sunburn is Vaseline by the bucket.it keeps the skin moisturised and also cools it.

Thanks, actually looking this morning it looks like the skin is peeling a bit ... never seen that on Thai skin before ... still 8 hours in three days lying on your tummy with the back of your legs barely in the water is unusal. I suggested Vaseline a while back ... what do you think the reply was....knows better of course.

She may be allergic to what u are using. The best treatment for sunburn is Vaseline by the bucket.it keeps the skin moisturised and also cools it.

Thanks, actually looking this morning it looks like the skin is peeling a bit ... never seen that on Thai skin before ... still 8 hours in three days lying on your tummy with the back of your legs barely in the water is unusal. I suggested Vaseline a while back ... what do you think the reply was....knows better of course.

It sounds like a regular ol sunburn. This doesn't happen easily on brown skin but it is possible after long exposure. This happened to me last year when I went to Phi Phi and stayed out all day without sunscreen (I'm brown too - from India). It was painful to the touch and looked like a rash on my skin but it was just sunburn. Took about 5 days for it to start peeling and when it did, the tan came off with the skin so the skin underneath that grew back was actually lighter! Looked funny for a while but all I cared about was to let it heal. Give it a week more, there will be more peeling and soon she will be okay.

In the meantime, ask her to apply idea to the area for a while everyday and avoid further sun exposure.

All the best!

EDIT - I also used an aloe vera sun relief cream which helped.

Edited by Neha

Generally I use 100% Aloe Vera Leaf on burns

Calamine Lotion is excellent to have in your cupboard also.

More severe burns I always have a tube of Flamazine in the fridge.

Both Flamazine and Calamine are obtainable through Boots or Watsons.