Retirement Visa Extention

chiang mai

Interesting how different people's experiences vary in Thailand. They have ALWAYS asked me for a copy of my rental agreement.

Has that always been in Chiang Mai for a retirement visa.

Not that it matters now as I will take one with me in the future.

I believe the officer can ask for whatever they need to satisfy their question of whether the applicant deserves the extension or not. Whether they do it to be "mean" or otherwise is an opinion. If the applicant thinks they are being treated unfairly they can report the officer. There are signs, or used to be anyway, indicating how and who to report to.

The officers have people tell them lies every working day, although certainly not the majority. They have people upset because they don't act or do things "like we do at home". Offering something that would alter the officer's thinking, such as a lease agreement or Yellow House book for instance, can sometimes speed things up and possibly change what the officer may require. Also, as HelloDolly indicated, attitude makes a difference. Your attitude can show whether you think you are masking it or not.

In my own experience for myself and with Thais dealing with US Immigration, Thai Immigration is much easier and in most cases more polite.

MSPain

• Like 1

Ditto the need to supply a copy of your lease or to otherwise prove your place of residence, that requirement is not in "the rules" yet two posters in this thread have been asked for such.

Actually, it is in the rules (indirectly). The rules says you can only get the extension at the immigration office servicing the area where you live. So it's doesn't seem unreasonable to me if the immigration officer ask for proof that you live in his "district".

Sophon

Thank you for pointing out this fact, it's obvious really if we think about it.

Just because they have some one working through lunch does not mean he had to do it. If he had to work through lunch why would he just not light up the next number? .

No of course not, if he was working through his lunch hour he could be playing on his mobile, chatting to his mate or reading a magazine. wink.png

Maybe no one told him to light up the next number or as I understand - it is simply an extra service put on the help reduce the workload that they help create.

Hate them? God lord man come to your senses, I hate no-one, but I will be critical of government workers, I've dealt with enough of them in the last 20 odd years to know they love power and will shirk off whenever the possibility arises.

PS. I don't need immigration in order to go to the mall or see a movie....I do that as a matter of course. AND if you had read my posts properly, you would see I'm not complaining about myself.......I was in and out in 15 minutes at my last booked retirement extension and I send my 90 day report in...........but I have the right to be critical of what I see being done (and what has been done) to others and also to criticize the system with it's workers.

They could be growing tomatoes for 2 baht a kilo under the hot sun.

Edited by uptheos

I still stand by the advice to give them exactly what you think is required, and not one thing more. Of course, its a good idea to be prepared to give more IF asked, but really, you usually will not be asked. I don't consider this tactic to be "fighting" the requirements at all. The opposite, actually. Comply fully but no need for OVERKILL.

I'm not trying to take a shot at you JT so please don't take offence but there's just the slightest hints in your posts on this subject that you want Immigration Dept to play by the rules that they publish so that there's a level playing field, this is what you said you would need at the outset so don't ask for more. That outlook is of course the style in the West at present whereby all the rules must be published and everyone must play by them as published, without exception. I think there's a lot of posters/viewers with a similar mindet and it extends beyond the scope of just dealing with Immigration, why, someone even posted recently about where to go to complain about something they had bought at a shop and wanted to get Thai Dept of Consumer Affairs involved, just like they would "back home"!

You and I both understand I know that things here are not run the same way they are back home and virtually all rules are flexible, based on various factors. The key differentiator of course is attitude and that will often be the difference between any effort being sucessful or an absolute nightmare, if it turns out to be the latter then it's usually our own fault. I know also that you will remember in days gone by when some ex-pats/tourists would show up at Immigration still half drunk, wearing wife beater tee-shirts and demanding service, doubtless that still happens today but I would guess to only a very small extent, thankfully. It's also worth pointing out here that Immigration Dept today is only the way it is because of their past experiences in dealing with all of us, perhaps if we can behave more acceptably, things might become easier in the future. And just for clarity, I'm making this reply for the benefit of the wider audience and not specifically you.

It's also worth pointing out here that Immigration Dept today is only the way it is because of their past experiences in dealing with all of us, perhaps if we can behave more acceptably, things might become easier in the future. And just for clarity, I'm making this reply for the benefit of the wider audience and not specifically you.

Sorry Mr. Chiangmai but I'm jumping in here to say I disagree with the above.

I (maybe yourself) can remember the days when going for annual renewal for retirement/ wife -what have you WAS a nightmare and it was virtually guaranteed that you could expect a hard time. Those were the days when 5there were few retirees and those that did renew were dressed to the nines, wai wai etc etc, without a return. WE didn't make them like they are they were already power freaks. I can also remember like a lot of posters the days when "we need to send your application to Bangkok and it will take a month....but if you pay 2,000 Baht we can telephone Bangkok and you can have it tomorrow" etc etc. Sorry old pal.....WE didn't create the monster.

AND if someone comes in smelly and drunk they can revoke their visa, they can do anything they like.....they certainly aren't backward at coming forward when it involves fines for overstay or forgetting the 90 day report.....or COR without a receipt....who created that little bit of ingenuity?

It's also worth pointing out here that Immigration Dept today is only the way it is because of their past experiences in dealing with all of us, perhaps if we can behave more acceptably, things might become easier in the future. And just for clarity, I'm making this reply for the benefit of the wider audience and not specifically you.

I (maybe yourself) can remember the days when going for annual renewal for retirement/ wife -what have you WAS a nightmare and it was virtually guaranteed that you could expect a hard time. Those were the days when 5there were few retirees and those that did renew were dressed to the nines, wai wai etc etc, without a return. WE didn't make them like they are they were already power freaks. I can also remember like a lot of posters the days when "we need to send your application to Bangkok and it will take a month....but if you pay 2,000 Baht we can telephone Bangkok and you can have it tomorrow" etc etc. Sorry old pal.....WE didn't create the monster.

AND if someone comes in smelly and drunk they can revoke their visa, they can do anything they like.....they certainly aren't backward at coming forward when it involves fines for overstay or forgetting the 90 day report.....or COR without a receipt....who created that little bit of ingenuity?

Oh well, you have to admit it was a reasonable theory on my part! wub.png

Actually a great theory you were talking about today not twenty years ago when they did not have a line up of 100 Burmese to deal with and very few Foreigners.

My experience is only 6 years and I can remember going into the little building on the right as you enter for my 90 day and spending about two more minutes than it takes to fill in the form and be gone. It goes to show the popularity for Chiang Mai as a retirement city by the huge amount of people going in for their 90 day as compared to 6 years ago.

It will take them a long time to get up to speed to handle the huge influx of business but I am sure they will get it managed. Personally I see them getting a new premises to put up a bigger building. And I believe that the bar code is part of a greater plan than what we see now.

I really think uptheos is striving to not give them credit for the progress they have made. He in no way recognizes it have you ever seen him give credit where credit is do to the Thai Immigration. Even my personal experience he tried to belittle like it didn't happen.. As I say I have only been here 6 years and can see progress. The last time I was in to renew all I did was go into see the person out front and wait for my name to be called to pick up my passport.

Edited by hellodolly

Actually a great theory you were talking about today not twenty years ago when they did not have a line up of 100 Burmese to deal with and very few Foreigners. My experience is only 6 years and I can remember going into the little building on the right as you enter for my 90 day and spending about two more minutes than it takes to fill in the form and be gone.

I really think uptheos is striving to not give them credit for the progress they have made. He in no way recognizes it. As I say I have only been here 6 years and can see progress. The last time I was in all I did was go into see the person out front and wait for my name to be called to pick up my passport.

Why should I give them credit, they've got good government jobs, with power. Two really essential criteria to put you on the hierarchical ladder

They certainly haven't made progress in charging you 500 baht for a COR with no receipt!!! Or perhaps you think that's perfectly acceptable? But it's NOT and it's no better than what people complain about the BIB.

I think it's great that they have 100 or more Burmese to deal with, I hope it increases further, as it means the Burmese are here and working to feed their families at last......must burn their butts to think this 'extra workload' is the result of their old enemies taking the place over.

Edited by uptheos

They certainly haven't made progress in charging you 500 baht for a COR with no receipt!!! Or perhaps you think that's perfectly acceptable? But it's NOT and it's no better than what people complain about the BIB.

Still better than the 2000+ my own consulate want to charge me for that same CoR.

Corrupt Thai Immigration 500bht charge Vs Legit English Consulate 2000bht charge ........ Hmmmmmm, which do I pay?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Still better than the 2000+ my own consulate want to charge me for that same CoR.

Corrupt Thai Immigration 500bht charge Vs Legit English Consulate 2000bht charge ........ Hmmmmmm, which do I pay?

Irrelevant. smile.png

My experience is only 6 years and I can remember going into the little building on the right as you enter for my 90 day and spending about two more minutes than it takes to fill in the form and be gone.

I always used the little building on the left before they switched to the main building on the right. wink.png

• Like 1

My experience is only 6 years and I can remember going into the little building on the right as you enter for my 90 day and spending about two more minutes than it takes to fill in the form and be gone.

I always used the little building on the left before they switched to the main building on the right. wink.png

The reason I have a retirement visa is because I am old. Now that we have cleared that up i am going to use it as a cop out for my bad memory. Flimsy excuse I know but it is all I have as obviously I was wrong.wub.png

Ditto the need to supply a copy of your lease or to otherwise prove your place of residence, that requirement is not in "the rules" yet two posters in this thread have been asked for such.

Actually, it is in the rules (indirectly). The rules says you can only get the extension at the immigration office servicing the area where you live. So it's doesn't seem unreasonable to me if the immigration officer ask for proof that you live in his "district".

Sophon

This seems like a reasonable probability to me. I have never been asked for a copy of my lease (since 2002), but they have asked questions which allowed them to see if I could recite my address and such. I guess there way of checking.

Sophon

This seems like a reasonable probability to me. I have never been asked for a copy of my lease (since 2002), but they have asked questions which allowed them to see if I could recite my address and such. I guess there way of checking.

My question is; what if you don't 'live' anywhere with a lease? Maybe you have loads of dosh and are a free spirit, moving around from place to place living out of hotels, guest houses etc. Can you use your hotel receipt to use the office serving the area you are currently in?

Well, I appreciate the heads-up from the OP regarding the lease document.

Never was asked for it before in 6 years, but I am definitely including it in the packet of back up documents now.

Funny they should ask for that, as I also have my Thai address emblazoned on absolutely every document/financial statement, etc. My legal domicile is Chiang Mai, not Hoboken nor Leeds.

As a side note, I've been asked for copies of all previous retirement extension stamps at CM Imm for the last 2 years- Sept 2010 and Sept 2011, so I'm not surprised about that one at all.

Just more dead trees, and huge boxes filled with paper teetering and about to topple over in some storage room somewhere, slowly being eaten by termites.....whistling.gif