How To Choose A Home

SteveLynch

KerryK you have to be joking Philippine women, now there is a breed that are nothing but trouble, if by flourishing you mean marry, send crazy and then divorce there husbands in a 5 year time frame....well yes then they do flourish....you know nothing of Thai's outside of Thailand, In Australia I see many that are happy contended partners that go on to spend many many happy years together.... maybe its our climate we are warm like Thailand in most areas as opposed to say Europe with its harsh climate.....dude you need to follow your own advice....offer information only on subjects you have experience with.

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KerryK you have to be joking Philippine women, now there is a breed that are nothing but trouble, if by flourishing you mean marry, send crazy and then divorce there husbands in a 5 year time frame....well yes then they do flourish....you know nothing of Thai's outside of Thailand, In Australia I see many that are happy contended partners that go on to spend many many happy years together.... maybe its our climate we are warm like Thailand in most areas as opposed to say Europe with its harsh climate.....dude you need to follow your own advice....offer information only on subjects you have experience with.

There are 300,000 Thais in the USA.

There are 150,000 Thais living in Australia.

There are 3.4 million Filipino Americans.

Try reading my post again. I think it is great there are Thais with long term Aussie partners.

I also said, “In my experience Thai women don't travel well.” There are twice as many Thai women in the USA than Australia but what the heck do I know. There are also close to 4 million Filipinos in America but what do I know!

KerryK did you just pluck those figures from thin air I just googled it comes up with.

35,000 Thais in Australia 135,000 Phillipinos

146,000 Thais in the USA 2,100,000 Phillipinos

So in Australia its a ratio of 3.9 : 1 Philli : Thai

America 14.5 : 1 Philli : Thai

This tells Us Phillipinos love America, not that Thais don't travel well.

Cheers

Edited by rick75

KerryK did you just pluck those figures from thin air I just googled it comes up with.

35,000 Thais in Australia 135,000 Phillipinos

146,000 Thais in the USA 2,100,000 Phillipinos

So in Australia its a ratio of 3.9 : 1 Philli : Thai

America 14.5 : 1 Philli : Thai

This tells Us Phillipinos love America, not that Thais don't travel well.

Cheers

I got the numbers from US census and Wiki.

I am just saying my experience.

I know a lot more successful relationships between Thai women and Farang in Thailand than outside of Thailand.

I also know a lot more successful relationships where the man does not drink than where the male does drink. But that is just my experience.

Getting married is tough enough let alone coming to a foreign country, hooking up with a women whom you don't speak her language and then taking her back to a culture that is strange to her.

Sure Thai women are pretty and go for older guys but …..

Hey, I'm an old guy but I realize what's going on. I was in Thailand at 22 and 62.

Kerry once again you state so many things as hard facts that just don't match up with my own experience.

Why would a Thai women live with a Farang for 8 years and not be married? Anyone want to go there? No, I didn't think so.

Sure, lots of reasons, obviously most of the time because she's just a gold-digging scammer, but certainly not all. What does marrying really get you here? Not much, especially since the society doesn't put the same moral "living in sin" judgement, many many Thais don't do the legal registration at all.

So what you have here is a pretty typical story of an offshore worker trying to make it against all odds. Not only is there a 50% chance that a marriage will not work what are the odds that a common law marriage, with a person from a different culture that you only see half the year will work? That has as much chance of working as the man who tries to take a Thai woman out of Thailand. Almost none.

Sure the odds aren't good, but so what, neither are they back home. I think we've got pretty near unanimity that his buying her a house isn't a good idea financially, but if he wants to do that, even it that's because he's got faith in his relationship being different from most, that's his call.

I totally disagree about the taking a Thai woman out of Thailand thing. I know many many such successful marriages, and would in fact reckon that the odds are better there than for those remaining here, once you eliminate those originating in the explicit sex industry. My sister-in-law, a qualified nurse and very nice girl in every sense of the word, now lives in Norway and tells me that she's met hundreds of Thai wives in the surrounding area, and most have been there for over ten years now. Sure some are miserable with the life their, but just as frontier pioneers have everywhere in the world are sticking it out for a better future. When their husbands retire and the family unit moves back over to Thailand, I'd bet that's when the trouble starts. . .

• Like 1

I have to agree with Kerry.

I can never understand why a guy lives with a woman for years without marriage, especially a Thai woman who values marriage so highly.

I disagree. They value security highly, if they feel secure that you're going to stick around, or if you pay up front, e.g. buy an expensive house in their name or otherwise make it so it doesn't matter financially whether you stay or go then they don't need to make a baby or get a piece of paper.

To the OP, I don't see many people calling your gf a hooker, but many women all over the world consider a house their lover buys as rightfully theirs. That's not hooker behaviour, that's normal woman behaviour. Almost every non-Thai-man I know has bought and lost at least one house to a woman (Thai or non-Thai).

And many guys have simply bought their SO a house, knowing full well it was an outright gift in the first place and were OK with that. If/when they lost their spouse, presumably that was more important to them than the material stuff. Although I've known men that were more than happy to see the back of both. . .

Back on topic of where to buy a house, what does your partner think......if I was only in the country 50% of the time I would think its important for Her to be happy with the location...family or good friends around for when you are away.....happy wife happy life.

If I worked off shore I would be happy to spend my R & R in a nice seaside location thought about the eastern seaboard, a couple of hours from Bkk.

This thread has brought out some interesting ideas on a lot of things - including marriage. My experience is that Thai women, their families and their entire town/village value marriage very highly - the wedding ceremony, the sin sod, the committment of the farang through marriage and then the associated house are really important to everyone in the Thai family and community.

To the OP - buy the house mate - it's something that you need when you spend half your life working abroad - your own home. I can't tell you enough how good it is to come home from an overseas job to your own house, beautiful wife and kids.

You probably have a lot of years working away for long periods so buy the house and be happy. But - get someone close by when you are away for security - someone she can ring and get immediate assistance. Or get a very loyal dog that will take someone's head off at the least sign of malice.

Good luck and enjoy!!

• Like 1

This thread has brought out some interesting ideas on a lot of things - including marriage. My experience is that Thai women, their families and their entire town/village value marriage very highly - the wedding ceremony, the sin sod, the committment of the farang through marriage and then the associated house are really important to everyone in the Thai family and community.

To the OP - buy the house mate - it's something that you need when you spend half your life working abroad - your own home. I can't tell you enough how good it is to come home from an overseas job to your own house, beautiful wife and kids.

You probably have a lot of years working away for long periods so buy the house and be happy. But - get someone close by when you are away for security - someone she can ring and get immediate assistance. Or get a very loyal dog that will take someone's head off at the least sign of malice.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Would you mind sharing how many times you have been married and how long in the current marriage.

This forum cracks me up sometimes. The OP asked a simple question concerning buying a stand alone home or one in a gated community. Now we know how many Filipinos live in the USA and want to know how many times someone else has been married !

It's a shame because out there is a wealth of experience that I and the OP could learn from but I rarely ask questions on this forum because a lot of the time they end up like this unfortunately.

Having said that I would still be interested in any actual responses to the original question.

• Like 1

Im not sure why you bother responding to trolls who rent apartments.

If your interested in buying a house in Bangkok, might i suggest the eastern side of Bangkok. I've lived on this side of Bangkok for several years now, and ive noticed alot of village/gated community's you should check out. There's lots of housing developments going on that were never in fear being flooded last year.

Reason we chose this area.

- Access to motorway

- Close to International Airport

- Airport Link / BTS

- Lots of international schools.

- 3 Hospitals within 5-10mins by foot or car

- Access to local shops

As for security goes living any where in Thailand.

- Big dogs that bark at people

- Security guards who don't sleep on the job who do roaming patrols looking for people who don't belong in your estate after dark.

- High walled perimeter that goes around the whole community with out any gaps in it.

- Sign in Thai with the words "Trespassers will be shot."

- Making sure some ones always at home. i.e (maids and nanny's that are trusted employees of your family)

• Like 1

Back on topic of where to buy a house, what does your partner think......if I was only in the country 50% of the time I would think its important for Her to be happy with the location...family or good friends around for when you are away.....happy wife happy life.

If I worked off shore I would be happy to spend my R & R in a nice seaside location thought about the eastern seaboard, a couple of hours from Bkk.

hi

yes she would prefer to stay in bangkok .where she is from ,close to her mum dad and sister

that said she did live in chiangmai when younger so likes it there too

her biggest fear is flooding ,and also how i might survive in a thai only area

i would like huahin or towards the mountains

but our priority is kids so staying near schools is the biggest thing

thanks

yes she would prefer to stay in bangkok .where she is from ,close to her mum dad and sister

that said she did live in chiangmai when younger so likes it there too

her biggest fear is flooding ,and also how i might survive in a thai only area

i would like huahin or towards the mountains

but our priority is kids so staying near schools is the biggest thing

If you really are concerned about the quality of schooling, and are willing to sponsor them as if they were your own, then Bangkok or just outside is the place.

If you're only going to front up a few hundred K per year, then anyplace will do, but it's a challenge actually getting decent value once you drop below the top half-dozen or so true international schools.

This forum cracks me up sometimes. The OP asked a simple question concerning buying a stand alone home or one in a gated community. Now we know how many Filipinos live in the USA and want to know how many times someone else has been married !

It's a shame because out there is a wealth of experience that I and the OP could learn from but I rarely ask questions on this forum because a lot of the time they end up like this unfortunately.

Having said that I would still be interested in any actual responses to the original question.

Thai Visa is what it is. Often I have wanted to ask if i can dock my submarine on Klong Toey but I never had the courage.

Actually the courage award goes to the guy who just recently asked about importing a shotgun. Read that thread for real flame training.

Edited by kerryk

Sure there's a lot of static, but there's also a lot of good information. The OP was so obviously misinformed making false assumptions that needed correcting in order for him to act intelligently. He thought banking worked here for foreigners in the same way it would for himself back home, he seemed to be thinking as if he would still be the owner of the house in his gf name and is probably still under the impression that he'll be secure in being able to continue to use his house long-term.

His main concern was about guns and guard dogs etc, and I believe have been addressed.

So what do you think hasn't been covered?

Just proved my point that you don't read what was written

We as a couple were buying a house

In her name but it been paid for by both

I knew I couldn't buy land from the start ,you guys started on that I was trying to stick to what I asked

Yeah maybe more info at the start or a different title ,didn't think I needed large letters and graphs for the initial questions

Shud have been

Me and my fiancé are looking at buying a home ,she has avaialbe credit of 10million baht

I have none coz the country we live in doesn't like me or my money apparently

Like any couple we are both gonna pay it off

Thus the point of a 35yr mortgage or a 40 yr mortgage if the applicant age plus fourty isn't 65

But that simple info was rejected, by posters here

when if you walk into a bank the security guard could inform you of this it's basic knowledge

You don't even need to go in to a bank walk in to a housing devolpment and the sales team will offer it

I did make one mistake in my posts ,I assumed everybody here was on a equal pegging ,I assumed as a man with a family when I discuss buying a home,car ,dog or a hammer ,what I say as II is really we ,maybe something I picked up from my parents ,he went to work ,she stayed home ,yet it is their car and their garden Thier dog and their holiday .

Yes a know a lot of people here shared excellent advice ,your previos posts has been helpful,,regarding schooling and home security,

Sure there's a lot of static, but there's also a lot of good information. The OP was so obviously misinformed making false assumptions that needed correcting in order for him to act intelligently. He thought banking worked here for foreigners in the same way it would for himself back home, he seemed to be thinking as if he would still be the owner of the house in his gf name and is probably still under the impression that he'll be secure in being able to continue to use his house long-term.

His main concern was about guns and guard dogs etc, and I believe have been addressed.

Thai Visa is what it is. Often I have wanted to ask if i can dock my submarine on Klong Toey but I never had the courage.

Actually the courage award goes to the guy who just recently asked about importing a shotgun. Read that thread for real flame training.

Which part of his post are you stuck on Kerry? which part of his post asked for your opinion on submarines..it seems every time you open your mouth some more of your me,me,me nonesense comes out.

Maybe like Big Johnny says it is just a bit of "static" but to me there are way too many people like you who seem to be on some kind of ego trip and what is with all the thinly veiled snotty remarks did you not get enough attention as a child?.....is your life really so crap that posting drivel on here is all you have left

You have had a perfectly reasonable question asked which I happen to agree with, it is also right that there is a lot of experience on here but sometimes you have to wade through so much crap it just aint worth the effort, it does seem there are an hard core of self obsessed self opinionated people on here who are so far up themselves it is unreal.......there is one thing though nature will probably thin out the present crop soon enough but there again I am sure someone else will take over your role soon enough.....have a good one

Which part of his post are you stuck on Kerry? which part of his post asked for your opinion on submarines..it seems every time you open your mouth some more of your me,me,me nonesense comes out.

Maybe like Big Johnny says it is just a bit of "static" but to me there are way too many people like you who seem to be on some kind of ego trip and what is with all the thinly veiled snotty remarks did you not get enough attention as a child?.....is your life really so crap that posting drivel on here is all you have left

You have had a perfectly reasonable question asked which I happen to agree with, it is also right that there is a lot of experience on here but sometimes you have to wade through so much crap it just aint worth the effort, it does seem there are an hard core of self obsessed self opinionated people on here who are so far up themselves it is unreal.......there is one thing though nature will probably thin out the present crop soon enough but there again I am sure someone else will take over your role soon enough.....have a good one

I guess you should have asked what does a submarine and a house have in common. They are both illegal for a Farang to own in Thailand. The rest of your post is actually a flame. If you follow the logic it makes as much sense asking about my submarine as your house. Get it?

I guess you should have asked what does a submarine and a house have in common. They are both illegal for a Farang to own in Thailand. The rest of your post is actually a flame. If you follow the logic it makes as much sense asking about my submarine as your house. Get it?

I rest my case!!

I shall leave you to it I knew that it was a bit of a pointless excercise but please try and understand some people on here are asking questions to get an answer and not necesarily to get the benefit of your opinions....dont bother getting back mate I think we are done, have a good one

I rest my case!!

I shall leave you to it I knew that it was a bit of a pointless excercise but please try and understand some people on here are asking questions to get an answer and not necesarily to get the benefit of your opinions....dont bother getting back mate I think we are done, have a good one

Another flame, mate! A flame is attacking me instead of what I said. Try and grasp what I wrote and respond accordingly. My opinions are almost always facts because I am quite bright and well informed. But you may wish to point out the error of my opinions. Opinion #1. It is a good idea to speak Thai when married to a Thai woman. Opinion #2. Tell the truth when asking a question and you will get a better response. Opinion #3. It is illegal for a Farang to own land in Thailand. I think we are done now because you don't have the capacity to deal in facts and only flames. Have a good one.

Just proved my point that you don't read what was written

We as a couple were buying a house

In her name but it been paid for by both

I knew I couldn't buy land from the start ,you guys started on that I was trying to stick to what I asked

Yeah maybe more info at the start or a different title ,didn't think I needed large letters and graphs for the initial questions

Shud have been

Me and my fiancé are looking at buying a home ,she has avaialbe credit of 10million baht

I have none coz the country we live in doesn't like me or my money apparently

Like any couple we are both gonna pay it off

Thus the point of a 35yr mortgage or a 40 yr mortgage if the applicant age plus fourty isn't 65

But that simple info was rejected, by posters here

when if you walk into a bank the security guard could inform you of this it's basic knowledge

You don't even need to go in to a bank walk in to a housing devolpment and the sales team will offer it

OK, for the pedants maybe easier if you say "I want to buy my girlfriend a home" and work from there. Just don't try to convince them that you're going to have access to the property if things go sour between you two, and acknowledge that you're willing to lose whatever you put into that property; let it be a pure gift for purposes of discussion here and they'll stop harping on about that side of things.

I think it's pretty clear that you were misinformed or assumed wrong about the banking situation here, and the bottom-line advice there, is for you to try to see how you go with them directly.

As you point out, the developers of new properties are more than happy to self-finance, some like Land & Houses have in fact created their own "captive" banks to help flog their products. If you make it clear you don't care about whether or not this would be a smart "investment", since it's just a gift to your girlfriend anyway, you may be able to avoid getting more warnings along those lines either.

So at this point I'm not sure what your specific remaining questions are?

If your wife already has 10 million baht credit, then I'd highly recommend just using that; it's certainly sufficient budget to get a gorgeous place outside of downtown CBD BKK. This of course lets her take the full legal responsibility over the life of the loan, as well as 100% of the legal ownership which she will already have anyway. You can of course make the initial deposits and legal fees, and ongoing contribute to the payments as much and as long as you like, or even pay off the whole debt anytime you're feeling flush and/or particularly generous.

Or, if things happen to go south in the future you've then got fewer complications to sort out, and in fact from a cynical POV perhaps having things structured this way will encourage long-term harmony to be maintained.

Really don't know why my posts are been delivered like this

Apologies not sure why the quoting and text are ending up in the same text box

Just press "quote", go to the bottom, and then make sure there's some space between the last "/quote" and your text, should be OK.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 2

Hi

I don't think anybody was sarcastic at all ,me liking your last post could be deemed as!

I think a lot of members get a kick out of been dicks ,I have to say having a post that receives replies good or bad is always interesting

From the last few days the only thing that has sunk in is that I'm very detached from a lot of guys here in how I view certain things ,for the better in my opinion ,but we all know what we say about opinions !

Big johnney ......your posts have been interesting

But the thread has run it's course the experts are bored I feel time to some other dude get his ring tore open for been cheeky enough to think he might be in that select few that will succeed in this country .

Have a good day

• Like 1

Hi

I don't think anybody was sarcastic at all ,me liking your last post could be deemed as!

I think a lot of members get a kick out of been dicks ,I have to say having a post that receives replies good or bad is always interesting

From the last few days the only thing that has sunk in is that I'm very detached from a lot of guys here in how I view certain things ,for the better in my opinion ,but we all know what we say about opinions !

Big johnney ......your posts have been interesting

But the thread has run it's course the experts are bored I feel time to some other dude get his ring tore open for been cheeky enough to think he might be in that select few that will succeed in this country .

Have a good day

Don't worry the thread will probably go on for weeks after you're no longer checking in 8-)

Best of luck Steve I'm sure you'll do fine, trust your instincts.

• Like 1