Riverside Lunch

Kananga

My parents arrive in 7 weeks and my dear mother has specifically stated she wanted to have lunch by the river. We went somewhere near the GP about 10 years ago, but I forget where. Anyway, I was at the Sheraton last night and they have a nice outdoor area right on the river, but I dont think it is covered with shade during the day, at least not so you can enjoy lunch. Is this definitely the case? Can anyone recommend anywhere else that would suit a party of 7 including two old people in their early 60s as well as young children? I want to treat them to something nice so money is not an object.

Thanks in advance

Go to the Peninsula Hotel. You will not be disappointed...

Thanks, been there several times but its not so suitable for young kids who want to relax a bit. In fact I think I took my parents there a couple of years ago as well, but just for drinks. Sorry, should have pointed that out.

http://www.supatrariverhouse.net/

This place has a lot of character. Bit of a bitch to find with some very narrow sois to negotiate - guests tend to wonder where the <snip> you are going - but somehow makes it all the more impressive when you get there. Only thing i'm not sure about is how much shade you might get from the sun.

Edited by metisdead

http://www.supatrariverhouse.net/

This place has a lot of character. Bit of a bitch to find with some very narrow sois to negotiate - guests tend to wonder where the <snip> you are going - but somehow makes it all the more impressive when you get there. Only thing i'm not sure about is how much shade you might get from the sun.

Thanks, will check it out, although you are right, it doesnt look too shady.

Not riverside but if it is a Sunday then the Rembrandt have a clown and decent childcare available alongside decent Indian buffet at the Rang Mahal.

I hope you have fun whatever you decide. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, good view from the Rang Mahal. The Amari Atrium does a similar child friendly buffet on Sundays too.

No need to go to those expensive hotel restaurants for excellent Thai food and a great view of the river !

"Khinlom Chomsapan" is right on the river next to the Rama VIII bridge. That's the bridge with a single cable-stayed pillar in the middle, instead of two pillars on opposite banks Quite scenic at night when it's lit up. Outdoor seating, so evening is best on hot days. Excellent Thai food.

I've been there several times, with family and also in large groups (At one company where I worked It was a favorite for office parties).

The name is a bit of a pun, meaning something like "Eat wind, enjoy bridge".

It's a little bit hard to find if you're driving, but you can easily find it on Google Earth. See attached snapshot.

post-15406-0-02437700-1335786644_thumb.j

Shangri La - excellent food or, Chatrium wonderfull view (and good food)

Sala Thip at the Shangrila is excellent, and they have a/c 'pavillions' next to the River.

Sunday Brunch at the Peninsula has a clown for the kids, and the food is great.

Oriental always good .... but not ideal for kids.

Sala Thai next to River City is a decent low budget riverside Thai 'cafe' with shade and external a/c, but food is only average.

Old, early 60's, to a 10 year old maybe. Get real!

I'd say retirement age is old. I'm sure most people would agree.

Its no more than a state of mind until you need a walking stick.

Oh yes it is. There is nothing wrong with admitting you are old if you are in your 60s. Some people here make out like its a taboo word. Its ok to be old. We'll all get there eventually.