Best Massamam Curry In Pattaya?

sunseaker

Does anyone know a restaurant that does a proper Massamam curry?

Beef mussamam should have large chunks of slow cooked tender beef in it, Ive had it on my mind for days now :)

I ordered it last week in the Butchers arms pub and it came with thin sliced beef that were not cooked in the sauce. It was good considering the price but im looking for a really authentic one.

yellow-curry.jpg

That looks like chicken in the photo. Did you know that the name 'massamam' is derived from Muslim? That's why massamam curry is usually made with beef. Try a Muslim run restaurant for the most authentic version.

Yes that was a chicken massamam.

Below is beef version

I did not know it was related to Muslim.

182.jpg

From memory, the area opposite Soi VC and around Soi 15(?) is the Arab quarter. Plenty of middle-eastern eateries there.

Yeah but they serve pan-Arabic cuisine (also Iranian and some Indian influenced), NOT Thai curries. The best hope for a good beef Massamam is going to be at a THAI restaurant. BTW, I'm stumped on where exactly to get a good one. Chicken is easy to find but the OP is right the Thai places here will generally served sliced beef instead of chunks. To be clear, I have eaten around the Soi VC area for years and I have never seen a Beef Massamam on a menu of any Middle Eastern restaurant there. Edited by Jingthing

my wife cooks a very good massaman but sadly our new restaurant is not open yet.

most thais cook massaman like they cook red or green curry very quickly, infact the wife used to do the same, but now is cooked long and slow which also helps the thai beef

Cucumber restaurant sadly was the same thin chewy sliced beef added after cooking not the authentic one that I was looking for but for 145 baht who can complain

I think I've found a way to know before ordering it :

If they offer choice of chicken pork or beef it's likely not to be the slow cooked beef chunks, they are just adding your meat choice to the sauce

On Soi Neugnplabwaan (on the darkside) , there is a series of Thai Muslim food stalls not that far down from Sukumvit Road on the right hand side - one lady often has a decent proper massamam curry.

Im looking for a nice restaurant to enjoy it. searching around a thai market for some lady doesn't sound like my idea of fun, plus i net shes using the cheapest beef cut known to man (Thais dont mind if it is slightly chewy or fatty)

• 2 weeks later...

The outdoor restaruant on the pavement next door ( south) to the DHL office second road has the tastiest Massamam I have ever had, but I dont think they do beef, I'm sure they only do sliced pork, but its good !

So where is this DHL office? I don't know it. Assume they also have chicken pieces as well, yes?

BTW, "Muslim" curry with pork, that's twist.

No problem for me as I do fancy my lox and bagel with ham, clam, and mayo!

Edited by Jingthing

The outdoor restaruant on the pavement next door ( south) to the DHL office second road has the tastiest Massamam I have ever had, but I dont think they do beef, I'm sure they only do sliced pork, but its good !

So where is this DHL office? I don't know it. Assume they also have chicken pieces as well, yes?

We had a guy in the other thread looking for beef at the Indian place...

And whats wrong with that? Not all Indians are Hindu

No contest. The best massamam is from Numchai, the restaurant on Soi Buakhao opposite the night market.

???

I thought Numchai was an electronics store.

Can you provide a more specific location? I don't know what market you mean exactly.

Do they have beef in chunks or is it sliced beef? Or what meat is it? Chicken pieces?

The point of the funniness was the NAME of the dish. With pork, it becomes Pork Muslim Style. That's funny. It would be like Kosher Lobster.

Its in a kinda car park on the left hand side just before soi 10 as you head north on second road.

No contest. The best massamam is from Numchai, the restaurant on Soi Buakhao opposite the night market.

???

I thought Numchai was an electronics store.

Can you provide a more specific location? I don't know what market you mean exactly.

Do they have beef in chunks or is it sliced beef? Or what meat is it? Chicken pieces?

Numchai is on the corner of Soi 19 and Soi Buakhow. Haven’t tried the massaman there, their yellow curry (gaeng gari) used to be very good, but has for some reason gone downhill.

GPS location: 12.932422,100.88706

Cafe Le Mar in Jomtien has Massaman Beef on the menu. Didn't see chicken/pork offered so assume the beef is simmered in the sauce.

Nice place so worth a try I say.

Massaman at Cafe Le Mar is great. Served with a couple of pieces of nan bread. I think it is Bt 180. Cafe Le Mar has great food and views over Jomtien. 1 KM south of Chairuprek/Jomtien Bch road intersection, on left, of course.

Edited by craigt3365

Cafe Le Mar in Jomtien has Massaman Beef on the menu. Didn't see chicken/pork offered so assume the beef is simmered in the sauce.

Nice place so worth a try I say.

Massaman at Cafe Le Mar is great. Served with a couple of pieces of nan bread. I think it is Bt 180. Cafe Le Mar has great food and views over Jomtien. 1 KM south of Chairuprek/Jomtien Bch road intersection, on left, of course.

I've seen that restaurant. Looks nice from the outside. Sounds like it's worth a try!!

Great Massamam curry is right at home. Tough to beat. Wifey agrees. It takes 24 hours to make this dish...as dazk says.

+1 ,,,,,,,,,,, I make it at home , it's really nice done with lamb shanks ; sizzle them up first, brown in a pan then simmer in the sauce for 3/4 hours.

http://www.realthairecipes.com/recipes/massaman-curry/

Best recipe/website is above.

Its in a kinda car park on the left hand side just before soi 10 as you head north on second road.

This place is called Nong Jai restaurant and has a big yellow sign. It is oppositt the Ice Inn Hotel (between soi diana and soi honey). The massmun curry is fantastic but I always have it with chicken.