Financial Expectations Of A Thai Women

Longbow212

What do you mean by "for a Thai"?... surely the cost of living is the same for everyone (except a few places with dual-pricing)

The major costs are the same regardless of whether you are Thai or foreign... a half-decent apartment rent is +30k baht/month... a half-decent car costs +500k THB... food isn't free...

What i mean is that Thais have different standards from us. Ask anyone, and Thais can always live cheaper as foreigners.

You just proved my point by stating those crazy rent prices. Most Thais wont go for that. Hell even i would not go for that and i can afford it.

In my opinion, standards are set by your upbringing, not your nationality

Of course, there are many poor Thais living in wooden huts in the countryside who have come accustomed to a simple way of life... but, in case you hadn't noticed, Thailand now has a large middle-class who live mostly in the cities and live just the same as middle-class people anywhere

Most Thais I know would struggle on a salary of 20k baht per month (if they were not getting financial help from their partner or parents)

Then you know a different group of Thais then the most of us. I wasn't the only one commenting on your crazy remark. Actually chances are higher that she is one of the people without much money else her parents would have helped so your point is not valid.

As for upbringing and standards, my parents always taught me its better to save some money then to spend it all on your home. Better have a home that is a bit cheaper then pinching pennies for the rest. I always followed that strategy. Now i pay 5700 a month for a town house in Nonthaburi. I love it there, we are looking for something bigger though but doubt i can find it in my budget and my preferences.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main problem here IMO, that create these expectations is the immature and stupid bragging that goes on and the same stupid stories that keep getting bandied around by the same type of women..stories usually identical with just the names changed.

Johnny so and so farang bought Noi a new car..so and so bought condo..ect ect

In Isaan your forever hearing the story about the rich German that lives nearby...paid a fortune in Sin-sod, bought a big house, 2 bikes and a pick up truck...lived happily ever after (until he gets turfed out of course)

Anyway, i guess its nice to have a dream, and a lot of these women dream of hitching up with a gullible farang and living on easy street (or easy soi i should say)

I keep on telling the various females i hear this krap from, that those days are well and truelly over, the good old days of big finances and free and easy money are over and the numbers of stupid farangs willing to get duped are dwindling..

but then again maybe i am the gullible onerolleyes.gif

i was seeing a young girl who lived in huai kwang a while back ..........

her building was nice ,had a pool and a gym and the room was on the 17th floor with a nice view of the city (45-50 sqm )

the multistory parking lot was loaded with mercs ,beamers ,fortuners ,lexus and other lovely cars and motorcycles

her rent was 8000 a month

some thais aparently do spend more on vehicles than accomodation ......

It appears she is making twice the Thai national average wage, depending on the accuracy of the BBC`s information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356.

Many worse off than her and some better off.

If you lived together(you`ve stated you would pay all the rent/bills) she would be reasonably well off compared to the average.

Even living separately she isn`t doing too badly.

many(maybe even most ) jobs get paid in the region of 6000-12,000thb per month

(security guards ,delivery drivers,shop staff ,factory workers,construction industry ,cleaners ,farm labourers ,somchais that fix stuff etc )

to say most thais are paying 42k+ a month for luxury apartments is the real joke

whistling.gif

Edited by wana
  • Like 1

And why foreigners usually don't drive those cars is obvious,

The vast majority of farangs couldnt afford them ?

If you quote someone quote it all especially if it has relevance. This is against forum policy and you know it.

As for the vast majority could not afford them, im pretty sure your right but im also sure a higher percentage of the farangs can afford them then Thais.

Anyone here saying that every Thai woman will expect you to pay for everything is the classic old guy/ugly/socially awkward foreigner so commonly found in Thailand. The 65 year old 140kilo balding alcoholic with a 30 year old, always questioning whether she really truly 100% loves him.

Bottom line, Thailand, UK, wherever, if you want to give money to anyone do it cause you want to not cause your expected to and do not expect anything special in return unless you understand that it is a P2P relationship.

I am not saying you are one of the above cases but the part about only do what you feel is right not what is expect of you.

If you quote someone quote it all especially if it has relevance. This is against forum policy and you know it.

As for the vast majority could not afford them, im pretty sure your right but im also sure a higher percentage of the farangs can afford them then Thais.

Foreigners can afford them but they're not stupid and or concerned enough about what people think to pay the kind of money Thais will in order to look well-to-do

Foreigners can afford them but they're not stupid and or concerned enough about what people think to pay the kind of money Thais will in order to look well-to-do

I can't affort a 3 million baht car, at least not cash. I also don't care much about what people think of me in general. I have a honda jazz and i love it. Some people (Thai) ask me why i don't have a fortuner as it looks better. I told them that i only use the car for fishing and in general i travel alone or with my gf in it. No need for a big car then. I get blank stares then.

most thais are paying 42k+ a month for luxury apartments is the real joke

whistling.gif

Why is it a joke ?...have I shattered the illusion that all thai's live in THB 3000/m squats ?

And the apartments in question are hardly "luxury" under my definition

• Like 1

I would hazard an guess and say the vast majority of farangs in Thailand couldnt afford them

I can't affort a 3 million baht car, at least not cash. I also don't care much about what people think of me in general. I have a honda jazz and i love it. Some people (Thai) ask me why i don't have a fortuner as it looks better. I told them that i only use the car for fishing and in general i travel alone or with my gf in it. No need for a big car then. I get blank stares then.

one of my motorbikes is worth around 300,000 but i was chatting to a young thai guy in the car park one night when i was parking it

he told me the new one is available already

i told him " yes,its very nice ,but its 800,000"

he says " why not buy it then ? "

this was our first conversation by the way , i think he just assumed because i was a farang ,i could just pay 800,000 for the newer model without thinking about it .........

most thais are paying 42k+ a month for luxury apartments is the real joke

whistling.gif

Why is it a joke ?...have I shattered the illusion that all thai's live in THB 3000/m squats ?

And the apartments in question are hardly "luxury" under my definition

its a joke because 80-90% of the population doesnt even earn that much money .......thus we can conclude

that they could not afford to live in a building where the cheapest rooms start at 42k

is this an economics lesson or something ? biggrin.png

If the two of you are living together and you're paying rent + utilities, I'd say she's got herself a pretty sweet deal.

Does she send money back to her family?

She probably wants an allowance from you to negate the amount she's sending to her parents.

Since the two of you are not married, no need to supplement her income.

I think you prematurely lost half the battle when you let her move in with you.

I am barely qualified to comment on this subject however I remember coming across someone pointing out the perfect test to see if your partner was genuinely interested in you. I can't remember where it was that I saw it and it may well have been here on Thaivisa.

In effect it was the " In her mind " test. Are you in your girlfriends mind? Does she consider you in any way, at all?

Does she do anything spontaneous for you?

Does she bring you in your favourite fruit from the market?

Does she ever bring you anything in of any value?

Does she ever nip out to 7/11 to buy for herself and not ask you if you want anything?

etc etc.................if the answer to all of the above is negative then it means that you are not in her mind.

I wouldn't want a gf that didn't ever think of me.

Just saying, maybe it's relevant to the OP, maybe not, but just saying.

I would be interested in other people's opinion on that.

If the two of you are living together and you're paying rent + utilities, I'd say she's got herself a pretty sweet deal.

Does she send money back to her family?

She probably wants an allowance from you to negate the amount she's sending to her parents.

Since the two of you are not married, no need to supplement her income.

I think you prematurely lost half the battle when you let her move in with you.

yeah

read the thread

she doesn't live with him

I am not trying to say that most Thais are wealthy... as I said there are many very poor Thai people, often living in wooden houses in rural areas, and there will also be many Thais doing blue-collar jobs in the city and earning minimal wages (although many of these jobs are done by Cambodians, Burmese, etc).... however, as anyone who has spent time in central Bangkok (with their eyes open) will agree, the well-off middle-class of Thailand is huge... all of those high-rise condo blocks (which you can see in every direction if you look out from any rooftop garden) with units starting at c.50k/month are not populated solely by foreigners... this is a country with quite a big difference between the haves and have-nots... and I assumed that most ex-pats would not be spending time with (and dating in the OP's case) the latter...

OP... I think you should ignore the cynics saying she just wants your money... if she is decent looking she could have found another guy (probably older than you) making ten or twenty times more than you who would give her lots of money... on 20k/month she is probably really struggling and anything you can do to help would be appreciated... however, you need to explain to her (if you haven't already) that you are not making big bucks so you don't have much spare cash to share with her (maybe also explain the type of lifestyle you expect to be able to provide for your family in the future if you stay together)... if she really loves you, this will be no problem... if money is important to her, she will be gone pretty fast and you can move on...

Brit, 20k is a decent salary for a Thai they will not struggle on a salary like that.

20k is jack shit. Anyone, Thai or otherwise would struggle on that without the help of a support network,

• Like 1

Back to the point.

20K is a lot for many Thai people.

If you are already paying for so many things and she still wants more it needs careful consideration because so many Thai women seem to feel this need to get more and more from us. Also the amount you currently have coming in.

Depending on how you feel about her and you are comfortable with the idea you could offer her another 5K a month as suggested earlier and see how it goes. See if that does satisfy her, or if she then needs yet another increase in a few months. If she does ask for more, you can see where it is heading.

You could as easily say no and also see where that leads. See if the sex stops - often a good weapon in their arsenal.

Whatever else you do, do not let it grind you down, there are plenty more women out there.

OP... I think you should ignore the cynics saying she just wants your money... if she is decent looking she could have found another guy (probably older than you) making ten or twenty times more than you who would give her lots of money... on 20k/month she is probably really struggling and anything you can do to help would be appreciated... however, you need to explain to her (if you haven't already) that you are not making big bucks so you don't have much spare cash to share with her (maybe also explain the type of lifestyle you expect to be able to provide for your family in the future if you stay together)... if she really loves you, this will be no problem... if money is important to her, she will be gone pretty fast and you can move on...

Brit, 20k is a decent salary for a Thai they will not struggle on a salary like that.

20k is jack shit. Anyone, Thai or otherwise would struggle on that without the help of a support network,

i could live on 20k if i wanted to /had to quite easily

i could live on 20k if i wanted to /had to quite easily

I and my entire family live on 10k quite easily. (We already have housing)

Most families in my village get by quite well on 5k.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I am barely qualified to comment on this subject however I remember coming across someone pointing out the perfect test to see if your partner was genuinely interested in you. I can't remember where it was that I saw it and it may well have been here on Thaivisa.

In effect it was the " In her mind " test. Are you in your girlfriends mind? Does she consider you in any way, at all?

Does she bring you in your favourite fruit from the market?

Does she ever bring you anything in of any value?

Does she ever nip out to 7/11 to buy for herself and not ask you if you want anything?

etc etc.................if the answer to all of the above is negative then it means that you are not in her mind.

I wouldn't want a gf that didn't ever think of me.

Just saying, maybe it's relevant to the OP, maybe not, but just saying.

I think this is a pretty good test those things show your more then just a meal ticket.

If you’re picking up a girl somewhere and you happen to have a car one test to see if she is interested was to walk her to the passenger side of the door, open the door and let her in. Then you walk back to the driver side and as you start fumbling with your keys to open the door the girl inside will either reach over to open the door for you or not. If not forget about getting laid as well.

In my youth I had a dildo installed on the gear stick and if the girl had a driver’s license I always proposed she drive which gave some hilarious moments.biggrin.png

• Like 1