Financial Expectations Of A Thai Women

Longbow212

Not really. In his previous post where he was talking about 42k/m rents he was mentioned all the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi he sees and later mocked farang who could not afford one as being jealous because they want to to be a 'Bwana' (whatever that is) , so it seemed like that was what he was talking about by a 'nice' cars. And all of those are luxury cars in Thailand due to the 200-300% tax on imported cars. If he just meant a Honda, ok, but I know Thai guys on 20k per month that drive those.

A BMW 320 doesn't become a luxury car just because it has been imported to Thailand!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not really. In his previous post where he was talking about 42k/m rents he was mentioned all the Mercedes, BMW, and Audi he sees and later mocked farang who could not afford one as being jealous because they want to to be a 'Bwana' (whatever that is) , so it seemed like that was what he was talking about by a 'nice' cars. And all of those are luxury cars in Thailand due to the 200-300% tax on imported cars. If he just meant a Honda, ok, but I know Thai guys on 20k per month that drive those.

BMW is not imported are they ?

now are you gonna tell me something like "How dare she take a taxi to work instead of sweating it on on the back of a motorcycle?" or "BTS???? That is a luxury for HISO people only. She should take a bus to work, wake up an extra hour early".

Further on from this comment, I am getting the impression that some posters are trying to imply, how dare a Thai earn more than THB 20k/m, how dare a Thai drive a nice car, how dare a Thai live in a nice apartment in BKK which costs 42k/m....is this more of case of envy creeping in that a middle class Thai living in BKk is better off than an average farang living in Thailand, it shatters the myth that a farang in Thailand is the high and mighty Bwana ruling over the "natives" ?

Really? I get the impression that you are looking down on both Thais and farangs that you consider poorer than yourself, and frankly you aren't showering yourself in glory with your ivory tower nonsense.

now are you gonna tell me something like "How dare she take a taxi to work instead of sweating it on on the back of a motorcycle?" or "BTS???? That is a luxury for HISO people only. She should take a bus to work, wake up an extra hour early".

Further on from this comment, I am getting the impression that some posters are trying to imply, how dare a Thai earn more than THB 20k/m, how dare a Thai drive a nice car, how dare a Thai live in a nice apartment in BKK which costs 42k/m....is this more of case of envy creeping in that a middle class Thai living in BKk is better off than an average farang living in Thailand, it shatters the myth that a farang in Thailand is the high and mighty Bwana ruling over the "natives" ?

Really? I get the impression that you are looking down on both Thais and farangs that you consider poorer than yourself, and frankly you aren't showering yourself in glory with your ivory tower nonsense.

I don't get that impression at all. I get the impression that soutpeel has seen a similar topic before and almost always you get a certain section of posters on here coming out with comments where they can't accept that a large part of Thai society isn't scraping the barrel every month and wont admit there are reasonably well off Thais in large numbers. In fact quite the opposite of your accusation.

Edited by Kananga

I didnt see that,

your right cos it wasnt in that post, that was post way back...and that post had nothing to do with the post being commented on above.

Ahh, the old take a comment from another subject and use it out of context somewhere else ploy. They're getting smarter...

• Like 2

Why I am looking down on thai's or farangs with anything I have said...please elaborate...and please write in a large font so I can read it from my ivory tower...thumbsup.gif

I don't get that impression at all. I get the impression that soutpeel has seen a similar topic before and almost always you get a certain section of posters on here coming out with comments where they can't accept that a large part of Thai society isn't scraping the barrel every month and wont admit there are reasonably well off Thais in large numbers.

I get the impression that certain poster want to believe that all Thai's are scraping the barrel every month, because it make them feel better about themselves.

I lived in African for many years and the tone of some of these comments about Thai's sounds exactly like the comments the old colonials in Africa used to make about "their" blacks, they dont need this, they dont need that, they can live on this, that...hence the Bwana comment

• Like 1

I don't get that impression at all. I get the impression that soutpeel has seen a similar topic before and almost always you get a certain section of posters on here coming out with comments where they can't accept that a large part of Thai society isn't scraping the barrel every month and wont admit there are reasonably well off Thais in large numbers.

I get the impression that certain poster want to believe that all Thai's are scraping the barrel every month, because it make them feel better about themselves.

I lived in African for many years and the tone of some of these comments about Thai's sounds exactly like the comments the old colonials in Africa used to make about "their" blacks, they dont need this, they dont need that, they can live on this, that...hence the Bwana comment

Well you certainly got a couple of the Sahib's twitching.

just to clarify i am very curious about these townhouses and how one finds them and how nice they are and the exact locations. i was not being sarcastic.

I would imagine you need to start looking out near Bearing and also investing in a good pair of walking boots.

Well you certainly got a couple of the Sahib's twitching.

glad to be of service....G&T old chap ? On the Veranda and we can watch "our" Thai's planting the rice ?...White man's burden and all...biggrin.png

having read most of posts I think its pathetic that most forang seem to expect their GF or wives to live in some form of shithole which most of them would never consider just because over 95% of thais are dirt poor and have less than 10-15k baht a month to live. If you want your GF or wife to live like that then just rent a wife and im sure all will be fine. Even asking how much should I contribute to my GF or wife already means you are putting finance well ahead of relationships. If your a couple your a couple and all income is joint IMO. Here as it used to be in west its custom for man to pay when taking a GF out and thats still custom here however much the GF earns or does not earn however much they can live on or not. When I first met my wife then my GF she was earning a mere 8-10k baht a month in BKK and living in a semi slum at a rent of around 1000 baht a month. When we got serious we rented a nice apartment in BKK for around 3k baht a month (ok 18 years ago) and lived on around 25,000 baht although I could easily have rented a place for 20-30,000 baht a month. My wife (Gf then) never asked me for money but I gladly bought her a cell phone and other bits since she could not possibly afford such luxuries on her salary. It never crossed my mind how much I should give her and we just spent what was needed with me contributing whatever was needed. I asked her to give up her job after a few months since I wanted to travel and do things and I could easily afford to pay both our ways and expenses. After about 1 year she said she did not like having to ask me all time for money to buy little things and could she have a bit of her own money although within reason I was more than happy to buy anything she needed or within reason wanted. So I asked what she thought was reasonable and she said of course up to me. So we settled on 2,000 baht a month (17 years ago remember so probably around 10,000 baht + now) for her to pay hairdresser , odd shoes and bits. After 4 years we moved into a 15,000 baht apartment in BKK and our living budget was around 50,000 baht a month. Ok this is not a my GF is different and maybe I was just lucky and still am but if at any time in first few years their had been any demand for anything unreasonable that would have ended it. We spend years trying to explain each others cultures and differences between here and west and you need to meet half way. Our age difference is considerable and she certainly was and is not one of those thai chinese girls people keep boasting about. I dont know if she ever worked in a bar and have never asked but I did not meet her in a bar and she had a perfectly good normal job in a factory as a supervisor.

My main point to all those forang here who keep asking how much and those who say Thais can live well on 10,000 or whatever is you deserve all you get. You should give freely what is right or simply rent a GF which seems you are really doing but not honest enough to simply go to girly bars and get one. These days with 2 lovely children we spend around 250,000 baht a month because we can but if we only had 50,000 id still want my family to have if at all possible a decent home and the rest and why do so many forang think of Thais as some lower species who are not worthy to live same sort of life most westerners would expect except of course the bums.

• Like 1

just to clarify i am very curious about these townhouses and how one finds them and how nice they are and the exact locations. i was not being sarcastic.

Ok.

We are going a bit off topic here.

First rule in thailand. Never trust an agent. Forget websites advertsing properties.

Find the area that you want to stay. It helps if you speak Thai. But if not have your good lady speak to a motorcycle taxi driver. These guys know the score. They will scout out an area and let you know what houses are for rent and at what price. Obviously you will have to give them a couple of hundred baht for showing you around.

Ok.

We are going a bit off topic here.

First rule in thailand. Never trust an agent. Forget websites advertsing properties.

Find the area that you want to stay. It helps if you speak Thai. But if not have your good lady speak to a motorcycle taxi driver. These guys know the score. They will scout out an area and let you know what houses are for rent and at what price. Obviously you will have to give them a couple of hundred baht for showing you around.

Thats great, but I thing our friend here wants to know where these locations are. Do you know?

Just to get things back on track... this thread is not about how rich/poor the average Thai person is... I think we are all in agreement that some Thais are living well and a lot have a pretty crap existence... clearly the OP's girlfriend has had a taste of the good life (in financial terms) during a previous relationship... although we all have different views on whether the OP should give her some extra cash now, he will (at some point) need to explain the economic realities of their situation and future (which it seems will not be in line with her previous life)... if she sticks around after that conversation, she has proved herself not to be motivated only be money and then surely it doesn't matter if he gives her a bit of money during what is anyway a transition phase until their marriage when everything including money will be shared anyway (sorry if I offend anyone who doesn't believe in sharing their money with their life partner)...

OP, know from the start,..it never ends.

If you do not pay up you will have to endure the never ending whinging about how you do not give her enough, even when paying ALL her living expenses so she can save all her wage..then she will be asking you to send money home every month becuase she has spent all of what you gave her and all of hers..usually mostly wasted on stupid things.

To put it simply, the more they get the more they will spend. And dont believe that old "up to you" either.My "up tp me" amount was never enough no matter how much.

Get out while you can, in the end you will be paying her a fortune so she will go home for a few weeks peace...best thing you can do then is do runner while shes gonethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I see men in Thailand that have given up all material possesions, wear orange robes, never handle money and are more happy than George Michael in the mens room. I see women that work in offices and banks and schools that are earning under 15k a month and are very happy, thank you very much. I see motrobike taxi drivers who earn 400 baht a day and stop to give me a free lift to the end of the road because they know I teach the local kids English for free in my spare time. I see lots of happy people working day by day in Bangkok. So enough of the rich vs poor argument. If you have a job, a place to stay and food on the table you are rich enough to enjoy life

The point is that the OP's bird can't handle money and giving her more will not solve that issue.

Well said, got to agree 100%.

In any case, a single guy can live on under 20k a month here and still be happy, no problem..You dont have to lead a miserable existance or go without things either, as long as you've got your head together in the ways Greekfreaklover has described.

Having an ungreatful B**** dragging on you constantly gets tiring after a while, even with constant great sex.

Thai guys know the deal and go about things a little differently. I am starting to believe their MO is a lot more rewarding and definately a lot more cost effective in the long run

how do they go about it?

They usually marry girls of equal social background and more often than not in those cases the woman is in charge of the finances and the man hands over his complete pay check basically.

In my opinion, sharing money with your partner is of little significance compared to other things that partners' share (e.g. their bodies, their feelings and the short time we have here on planet earth)... money isn't everything

how do they go about it?

They usually marry girls of equal social background and more often than not in those cases the woman is in charge of the finances and the man hands over his complete pay check basically.

Well i guess there are some who do that, but of course Thai guys have a lot better chance of getting a Thai woman who is trustworthy and will give in return a measure of respect, gratitude and faithfullness for sacrifices made.

IMO, this is not always possible with Thai/farang relationships. We seem to attract the quality of women who only want to take the pliss. Of course culture and language barriers certainly do not help.

What i was referring about... as in they go about it a different way....was referring to the single Thai guys. They don't need a fulltime partner to satisfy there egos. They have the freedom of living alone without any hassles but they also know the right places to go if an itch needs scratching. And its a lot more inexpensive at the end of day.

having read most of posts I think its pathetic that most forang seem to expect their GF or wives to live in some form of shithole which most of them would never consider just because over 95% of thais are dirt poor and have less than 10-15k baht a month to live. If you want your GF or wife to live like that then just rent a wife and im sure all will be fine. Even asking how much should I contribute to my GF or wife already means you are putting finance well ahead of relationships. If your a couple your a couple and all income is joint IMO. Here as it used to be in west its custom for man to pay when taking a GF out and thats still custom here however much the GF earns or does not earn however much they can live on or not. When I first met my wife then my GF she was earning a mere 8-10k baht a month in BKK and living in a semi slum at a rent of around 1000 baht a month. When we got serious we rented a nice apartment in BKK for around 3k baht a month (ok 18 years ago) and lived on around 25,000 baht although I could easily have rented a place for 20-30,000 baht a month. My wife (Gf then) never asked me for money but I gladly bought her a cell phone and other bits since she could not possibly afford such luxuries on her salary. It never crossed my mind how much I should give her and we just spent what was needed with me contributing whatever was needed. I asked her to give up her job after a few months since I wanted to travel and do things and I could easily afford to pay both our ways and expenses. After about 1 year she said she did not like having to ask me all time for money to buy little things and could she have a bit of her own money although within reason I was more than happy to buy anything she needed or within reason wanted. So I asked what she thought was reasonable and she said of course up to me. So we settled on 2,000 baht a month (17 years ago remember so probably around 10,000 baht + now) for her to pay hairdresser , odd shoes and bits. After 4 years we moved into a 15,000 baht apartment in BKK and our living budget was around 50,000 baht a month. Ok this is not a my GF is different and maybe I was just lucky and still am but if at any time in first few years their had been any demand for anything unreasonable that would have ended it. We spend years trying to explain each others cultures and differences between here and west and you need to meet half way. Our age difference is considerable and she certainly was and is not one of those thai chinese girls people keep boasting about. I dont know if she ever worked in a bar and have never asked but I did not meet her in a bar and she had a perfectly good normal job in a factory as a supervisor.

My main point to all those forang here who keep asking how much and those who say Thais can live well on 10,000 or whatever is you deserve all you get. You should give freely what is right or simply rent a GF which seems you are really doing but not honest enough to simply go to girly bars and get one. These days with 2 lovely children we spend around 250,000 baht a month because we can but if we only had 50,000 id still want my family to have if at all possible a decent home and the rest and why do so many forang think of Thais as some lower species who are not worthy to live same sort of life most westerners would expect except of course the bums.

It was painful reading that post. Not on account of its content, mind; more the absence of line breaks, paragraphs and jumbled words. Still, I made it through and while there are some really rather sweet, old-school chivalrous sentiments, you have to understand the guy's 30 years old. He's not buying or renting his bird. There isn't a "considerable age difference" between him and his girl so he doesn't necessarily need to flash the folding as much as an older guy who'd have to show his youthful beau there are compensations for walking around with an old chamois leather on legs.

Of course, one year in, he's realized that what he'd hoped was a relaitonship run along similar lines to what he'd expect in the West is nothing of the sort and he's facing the possibility of starting along a rocky road that will only get more and more arduous and expensive as time progresses if he doesn't put his foot down right NOW. This is a different era, mate and although that most definitely doesn't make it better than that which came before, it needs a different approach to the one which served you so well in the past.

• Like 2

Quite the opposite, it's more that certain posters that are in the top 1% of salaries in this country can't accept that 20k per month isn't scrapping the bottom of the barrel and in fact is reasonably comfortable even in Bangkok. These people are the middle class and they exist in huge numbers in Bangkok and in Thailand, there are millions of them. They have cars, homes, computers, cell phones, all the things you associate with being middle class. When people say a Thai can live on this quite easily, they aren't being some neo Sahib saying the natives can do with less, but rather understanding than Thais on average are able to live more cheaply because they understand how much things should cost, speak Thai, enjoy local food, know how to do things more cheaply, and usually don't have some unemployed woman being paid a salary to live with them. Plenty of farang are able to do this as well. Some farang guys here though seem to lack understanding how the Thai middle class lives and how much they make and think anyone living on 20k per month must be living in absolute pig squalor.

So yeah, this guy's girlfriend makes 20k per month. That is a good salary for a single woman and she should be able to afford to live comfortably. It'd be one thing if they were married and it was their apartment he was paying, but it's not, it's hers

• Like 2