Thai Visa - Business And Work Permit

I actually had two questions:

1. It's been about 6 months since I was in Thailand, and when I was leaving they were supposedly cracking down on visas. Is it still possible to do the back to back tourist visas via Cambodia/Laos?

2. I am American. I have a web development company in America and I'm looking to outsource/move the company to Thailand. I'd keep our headquarters in America but I'd hire/train Thai employees to do the work (web programming). I do not have 2million baht. Is it possible to legally start something there? If so, would I be able to get a business visa (I need to be there to train/manage the new employees for at least a year)?

Thanks everyone.

Tyler

1. Yes, in Laos, but might be limited to a few back-to-back tourist visas. Continous staying in Thailand on tourist visas is very, very difficult.

2. 2 million baht is i believed registered capital. It doesn't mean you need 2 million in cash. For what you want you would need a non-B visa AND a work permit to train your employees. But others then me are more qualified to answer your question about setting up shop in Thailand.

Registered Capital is just that; on company formation you pay a fee of a few thousand baht per million capital to register the Company Capitalisation, which comprises of the sum combination of Company Capital Equities and Debt Capital.

Bottom line is on day one you can have 0 Baht cash in a 2 million capitalised company (The amount of Capitalisation required per unmarried foreign employee Work Permit) whose only asset is a 2 miilion 'loan' (Debt Capital) to one of the directors (you) with no other liabilities or assets.

Many things can count as capital equities and debt including cash loans to directors, along with cash values for such assets as trade marks and intellectual property rights held.

As time goes by your accounts should show that you are adding (good) Equity Capital i.e tangible assets, along with a gradual repayment of the original directors 'loan' which helping reduce the (not so good) Debt Capital, whilst maintaining the 2 million net Company Capitalisation figure.

Do your home work/due diligence though since running a company here in Thailand can bring a lot of headaches and unanticipated expenses.