Hotmail Blocking Some Emails

NotJoeMama

I have been traveling to Thailand about once a year for the last 7 or 8 years. I have noticed each and every time, I hear from friends on my return that they never got emails from me and that I never got some that they sent. There doesn't seem to be any particular person/email address that doesn't go through, it's different every time. To one friend on this last trip, some emails I sent went through, and some didn't. None of the ones he sent me came to me. Neither the sender or receiver (going either way) gets any kind of non-delivery message, it just doesn't get there. I checked my Sent folder and my messages were definitely sent. I never have this problem in the US, only in Thailand. I guarantee there is nothing in any emails coming or going that could be deemed bad to anyone. They are simply friendly correspondences, no attachments, no pictures, no nothing. I guess I could understand it if there was "smut" coming or going but that's just not the case. This last trip there were 2 or 3 people that said they never got email from me, and that they sent some to me that I never got. I truly don't think this is a hotmail problem, I think it is some kind of censorship or blocking but I can't figure out why. Has anyone had similar experiences or problems? Thanks for any help.

I have been sent several over the past month which were not received and again, only routine family matters. It's a nuisance as you can't know what you haven't received unless there's a follow-up SMS or phone call.

I tell people to cc my Gmail account which seems more reliable.

On the other hand, people outside Thailand don't seem to have any problem receiving Hotmail from me.

I did occasionally have the same problem in Europe so I suspect it's a Hotmail problem.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm happier thinking it's a Hotmail issue rather than censorship.

I've never been able to get a response from Hotmail so I'll just have to figure a plan B to get emails back and forth.

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm happier thinking it's a Hotmail issue rather than censorship.

I've never been able to get a response from Hotmail so I'll just have to figure a plan B to get emails back and forth.

You could try what I do. Open a Gmail account and have people cc your Hotmail emails to that, at least while you're in Thailand.

I very highly doubt your lost emails are related to your visit in Thailand.

It doesn't matter which country you log in from, your hotmail mailbox doesn't follow you. It remains at the same location and the path followed by emails sent to it is the same. When you open from Thailand, you merely get served a Web Page depicting what is in the hotmail server (which is probably somewhere in the US).

Think about it like checking your home voice mail machine from work by calling home and dialing your access code.

The only thing that could happen would be a complete inability to access the hotmail website from Thailand (very unlikely as many thai also use hotmail). But then you'll find every emails there once you can connect again.

What's most likely is that hotmail incorrectly flagged your friends email as spam. Check the spam folder they should be there.

Hotmail must have changed something in their system recently as any emails I get from Thai Visa has the following on them in a big red box.

This message looks very suspicious to our SmartScreen filters, so we've blocked attachments, pictures, and links for your safety.

Most of my other mail is getting through ok.

Edited by sunshinegirl