Drunk Drivers May Face Stiffer Penalties

george

Drunk drivers may face stiffer penalties

BANGKOK: -- Drunk drivers could face stiffer penalties such as longer jail terms and heavier fines under a new road safety initiative planned by the Justice Ministry, a senior official said Tuesday.

Wanchai Roujanavong, director-general of the Corrections Department, said Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya would propose bigger deterrents to drunk drivers such as driving license seizures, driving bans, increased fines and longer prison terms.

Speaking at the launch of a drunk driving campaign in Pinklao Tuesday, Wanchai said police would get stricter about such offences during the "seven dangerous days" of the New Year period by not allowing drunk drivers to continue driving unless they become sober.

He said drink driving is currently punishable by up to Bt4,000 in fines and two-month jail term, which is usually suspended, and 20-40 hours of community service.

The new measures will become clearer when Parliament resumes in the coming months, he said.

Between January and October this year, police detected 5,166 cases of careless driving and 31,899 breaches of the Traffic Act. Over 26,000 people were injured in road accidents and 628 were killed, while over 66 per cent of accidents were drink related.

--The Nation 2005-12-27

I hope this new plan serves as a deterrent against drink-driving.

It is always a catch-22 situation when you penalise the drunk driver too severely, because all to often, this is the same person that is the bread-winner for his family.

Imposing heavy fines, siezing vehicles, and excess jail time are all great, and can serve as deterrents, but at the end of the day, most do not heed the call to drive responsibly.

The gov't should also consider offering free (or reduced fare) transport for those who make the right decision to not drive while pissed. This works in some major cities in the US, but in rural areas I doubt there is anything like this.

Drunk drivers may face stiffer penalties

Between January and October this year, police detected 5,166 cases of careless driving and 31,899 breaches of the Traffic Act. Over 26,000 people were injured in road accidents and 628 were killed, while over 66 per cent of accidents were drink related.

--The Nation 2005-12-27

So, only 628 deaths.That is crap.

I hope this new plan serves as a deterrent against drink-driving.

It is always a catch-22 situation when you penalise the drunk driver too severely, because all to often, this is the same person that is the bread-winner for his family.

Imposing heavy fines, siezing vehicles, and excess jail time are all great, and can serve as deterrents, but at the end of the day, most do not heed the call to drive responsibly.

The gov't should also consider offering free (or reduced fare) transport for those who make the right decision to not drive while pissed.  This works in some major cities in the US, but in rural areas I doubt there is anything like this.

Then the bread winner shouldn't D&D, he has responsibilities (responsibility, a word not very well known amonst the Thai). Anyone that can't say no to a drink should go get some help.

Wanchai Roujanavong, director-general of the Corrections Department, said

--The Nation 2005-12-27

This is all horse shit in a handbasket.

Earlier it was reported that there's a fatal accident every hour in Bangkok alone..

9 months x 30 days x 24 hours = 6,480 deaths in Bangkok. Not to mention the rest of the Kingdom.

I've witnessed more than 5,166 cases of careless driving between January and October.

I rarely ever see any policemen on the highways and where I live they are never to be seen in their police boxes allowing people to ignore red lights, etc. It's gotten much worse in the past years, i.e., freedom on the road. especially the large transport buses, they think they own the road, very scary when they're a half-inch from your rear bumper.

Sure enough, around the holidays they set up temporary tents where the police sit around reading newspapers and what not.

There is little to no road enforcement throughout the Kingdom. when they stop me for quick cash I never give it to them, I probably would if the roads were safer to drive on...I doubt I'll ever see the end of corruption and false reporting here in my lifetime......the helmut law is somewhat of a joke...after 5pm, weekends & holidays helmuts aren't required (Isaan). New cars & trucks? drive how you want as fast as you want and park (double park) wherever you please.

I used to have more respect for the Nation newspaper and it's semi-accurate reporting, unlike the Post with it's obvious government controlled print.

Happy New Year to all and hope none of your friends, relatives or close one's are involved in any road accidents over the holdays...

Edited by JRinger

I'm glad to see that Khun Wanchai had the presence of mind to state that drunk drivers wouldn't be allowed to continue on their journey until they'd sobered up!!

Can just see "farmer joe" being stopped at a check point and falling out of his vehicle blind drunk. "Go to your local police station within the next week or so and pay the fine. Now you have a safe journey home,sir".

Will this brianwave only apply over the festive season?

Maybe there should be people like "designated drivers" in every partying group, or people who drive limit themselves to a couple of beers, - something people do voluntarily. Maybe legal alcohol limit should be slightly raised to meet drivers halfway.

Law enforcment (esp. Thai style) is never going to solve the problem.

How can you stop people returning home from work on Friday from having a few drinks with their friends?

Have you seen parking lots places like Tawandaeng fully packed, or the big ones on Kaset-Nawamin road? Does anyone honeslty believe that drivers of all these cars are staying sober?

I don't drive after I've had anything to drink. If I am going out, I try to arrange to meet people at a convenient location and I walk, take a bus, motorcycle taxi etc. It's a hassle, but I don't have to worry about accidents or how much I drink etc. In BKK there are lots of taxi's and it's really not all that hard. I really don't like having accidents and I really don't think I would enjoy any time in a Thai jail.

A hangover is bad enough--imagine waking up either in a Thai jail or with the local constabulary talking to you!