Quatar Air

sirineou

Flew to BKK from JFK on Quatar air with my wife, last month, cost $ 1,200 each, economy class. The plane, a new 777 was clean and the seats were very comfortable

The inflight entertainment was great with 100nths of movies, shows and Games. The Food was good, and the service great.,The Luggage allowance was very generous, Two large bags checked in, a small suitcase carry on, and your personal, loptop bag or similar, each!!! between me and my wife we were allowed 4 large bags, 2 small bags plus personal bags, needles to say we never even came close to using all of our allowance.Today we decided we were going to extend our stay in Thailand an other two weeks. Having dealt with other airlines, I dreaded the call, and expected huge, fees and expencive ticket change prices. Called Quatar,Air in BKK, pleasant girl on the telephone took no more than a few minutes to search for the best return date available to me, as I was flexible with my travel dates, Total extra coasts, $ 240 each.

I must say so far my experience with Quatar air has being great,

Edited by sirineou

it is QATAR, no U.

Yes they are good, I always look on www.airlinequality.com to see the latest reviews about Airlines and also Airports.

Seconded.

I have a FF account with them and have enjoyed all of my flights with Qatar. I am hoping someday to fly business class, as apparently they're lounge in Doha is superb.

They're also very competitive price-wise on the BKK - European routes.

Agree they are one of the few 5 Star airlines out there, a mate recent flew from Phuket to KL then to Doha and on to London and said it was the best ever flight. I have flown them in economy and business and am surprised other airlines don't get it and learn from them, personally I am over SQ- if Qatar flies where I want they will be my first choice.

Oman Air seem to be an upcoming airline, and sometimes quite cheap. I would choose between the two of them if I could, but last time had to choose the dreaded BA.

Have flown them both in business class. In the air Oman wins. Each row has only 4 seats. Food is comparable, although Oman does not give the at any time option. Airport in Muscat is smallish so the bus trip to the terminal takes only 2 - 3 minutes whereas in Doha can be painfully long. Premium terminal in Doha wins over Muscat. Qatar use Thai lounge in BKK whereas Oman have their own (really nice) lounge.

Lounges in Europe depend on which destination you fly to.

The price of Oman Air is usually higher than Qatar, but not by much and the difference in comfort level inflight is worth it for me, unless Qatar comes with a very interesting promotion fare.

Yermaneewai.gif

it is QATAR, no U.

Yes they are good, I always look on www.airlinequality.com to see the latest reviews about Airlines and also Airports.

Seconded.

I have a FF account with them and have enjoyed all of my flights with Qatar. I am hoping someday to fly business class, as apparently they're lounge in Doha is superb.

In Doha a long stop over in their biz lounge is a breeze. I particularly enjoyed the rack of lamb on my last visit! smile.png

Vastly superior to anything else out there. Including Emirates biz. Oman sounds interesting though...I may have to give 'em a try!

Agree they are one of the few 5 Star airlines out there, a mate recent flew from Phuket to KL then to Doha and on to London and said it was the best ever flight. I have flown them in economy and business and am surprised other airlines don't get it and learn from them, personally I am over SQ- if Qatar flies where I want they will be my first choice.

I'm not sure I would go quite that far blink.png

When I have been able to (afford to) fly SQ they have been superb - they just seem to be out of my price range on most routes - and I have worked in SG several times over the last few years.

I would say that the SG in flight service is the best I've ever experienced - and their economy is better than some of the business class flights I have recently taken (Thai / Garuda / Air China).

Edited by londoedan

Agreed, also FF member, J class some of the best and most consistent product I've experienced since I started winging with them a couple years ago. Usually only take them on promotion rate just because of the Doha hang time which in my case is generally 4 hours, but the Premium Terminal does make the wait a bit more bearable. Leaving on holiday today, availed some great biz class tickets on that 3-day 25% off sale they had last month although I missed the 4 hour turn so will end up there for 6 this time. Oh well, we'll get going, hit the lie-flat button turn on the Bose NR, then look forward to a pleasant woman serving coffee and breakfast over the Andaman Sea.

Although those in the industry who work there do have common complaints, not uncommon for ME airlines and seemingly a growing trend everywhere, focused on <deleted> management at or near the top and running the HR level right at the edge of legality when it comes to scheduling crew. There is what we see, shiny clean Qatar planes and great cabin service (compensating for the Doha Airport "bus tours"), then there is the soft underbelly we don't see. I also catch myself trying to sneak a peak into the cockpit on boarding to see who's up there, and hope for at least 1 brain up forward especially if we are flying to a more complex airspace (such as EU/US, LOS isn't so bad) and if something happens to #1, hopefully #2 doesn't fall apart and can fly the computer to get us on the ground in one piece. Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing you can walk away from and the airplane is still usable, is a more goodererer one.

Edited by 55Jay

it is QATAR, no U.

Seconded.

In Doha a long stop over in their biz lounge is a breeze. I particularly enjoyed the rack of lamb on my last visit! smile.png

Vastly superior to anything else out there. Including Emirates biz. Oman sounds interesting though...I may have to give 'em a try!

Oman air business class :

BTW business lounge in Muscat NO smoking room. The Plaza Premium lounge next door has a smoking room and costs only 10 Omani R.

Yermanee

post-109269-0-92709900-1335937173_thumb.

• Like 1

Yermanee

is that Plaza Premium lounge available to all upon payment?

Yes, 3 Hrs = 10 OR (flexible, last time stayed longer no problem)

5 Hrs = 15 OR

Credit cards accepted so no need to change currency

Snacks, alcoholic beverages etc. included. Quite pleasant atmosphere.

Yermanee wai.gif

No smoking room is a major minus. Cheers for that! tongue.png

Yes, very annoying that one has to dig deep to find any info at all on smoking on Airport's websites.bah.gif

As if 30 percent of the world's population do not count in the grand scheme of things.sad.png

Cheers

Yermaneewai.gif

Yermanee

5 Hrs = 15 OR

Yermanee wai.gif

Do you mean 10 quatar rial? So about 85baht!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Yermanee

5 Hrs = 15 OR

Yermanee wai.gif

Do you mean 10 quatar rial? So about 85baht!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

woops

10 Omani Rial (talking about Muscat airport) is 800 baht

10 Qatari rial is as you have said

Edited by beano2274

Wow 10 O.R for a puff, now that's what I call desperate

First of all, it's my money, and secondly I don't drink except the occasional glass of wine.

Nothing desperate about it. My comfort zone includes all my vices

Yermanee wai.gif

I've used Qatar a number of times for trips between Europe and BKK and they are consistently good. Their service, punctuality and food quality are always good, and the Premium Terminal at Doha is excellent. I've also found their Bankgok office to be very efficient for ticket changes etc.

Regarding Oman Air; I agree with the previous poster who said that they are better than Qatar in the air (at least in Business Class - don't know about the others). The seat and general accommodation are better, including the best and largest table I have ever encountered on an airline (it will accommodate a full meal setting plus, book, drinks etc., and slides completely clear so that you can come and go with the table full). They also have in-flight internet and a cell-phone network. The down-side is all to do with the terminal at Muscat, which is badly in need of modernisation. Last time I was there it took 45 hot and smelly minutes to get through security to enter the terminal and the staff there were far from helpful. I also find that Oman prices vary wildly, so it's difficult to plan ahead based on using them.

Finally: Qatar recently upgraded my frequent flyer status to "Gold" status, even though I didn't really qualify with my miles. They said that it was a gesture to reward / ensure my loyalty and it has definitely worked.

Ok, I'll spoil the thread and enter my whinge.

I just flew Qatar to Bangkok via Doha in economy class. The first leg in to Doha there was no individual in-flight entertainment even though it was a 6 hours plus journey. They just had the old drop-down, small screens every three rows or so. When they served the drinks I asked for a bloody mary and was told I'd have to wait until they finished serving the rest of the cabin. Twenty minutes later the stewardess asked me if I'd like another drink, I told her I'd be really happy just to get the first one as I was still waiting.

After the meal they came round with coffee and tea and I asked if I could get a brandy (different stewardess) - she told me to wait a few minutes and never came back. I know I could have pressed the service button but I just couldn't be bothered.

The Doha - Bangkok flight was a lot better, no complaints there.

Edited by nahkit

I also have a whinge. Firstly though I have to say that the inflight service, food and attention is good in business class. The new business class lounge at Heathrow is the best I have ever been in, almost good enough to miss the flight for.

Now for the whinge. I sent my daughter (8 years old) unaccompanied from Heathrow to Phuket. All the necessary forms filled in at both ends. The first trip with Eva Air last year went perfectly. She was accompanied at all times and handed over to the designated person at both ends. So this year as I fly Qatar I decided she could as well. Horrendous cockup from beginning to end. At Heathrow she almost missed the flight because the staff were "too busy" to take her through security to the boarding gate. But she arrived in Phuket OK and all was well. On the return flight all went smoothly at Phuket only for the notorious Heathrow/Doha staff to lose the paperwork - apparently.

So at Heathrow immigration with no paperwork and useless Qatar staff my daughter was grilled by immigration for over an hour on the suspicion that she was being 'trafficked'. She was obviously distraught, and her Auntie waiting to sign for her was frantic. Eventually she came out accompanied by 2 immigration officers who demanded ID etc from her Auntie. This proved OK and all was well.

CONCLUSION: Qatar in the air with shiny new planes is good. Administratively and managerially Qatar is useless - in fact in this case totally incompetent. I am also a FF (silver) and fly 3 or 4 times each year lhr-bkk/hkt in business but from now on I will try Oman Air or Etihad - have heard good things about both these airlines.