The British Club.

wamberal

My wife and are possibly moving back to Thailand for family reasons. We are retired, and comfortably off financially. We are not golfers, or sailors, we are into fitness, we need to be based in a building or a community with a good gym and pool.

In terms of recreational and friendship opportunities, I was thinking that it might be worth living not too far from the British Club. Is anybody a member there, I would appreciate any updates. It is quite a few years since I last visited.

The British Club has lost a lot of its shine from years ago and the membership has dropped dramatically. I am a member there and they do still have some good events which I occasionally attend. The fitness facilities are quite good and there is never too many people using the equipment which is a plush. They also have squash and tennis courts. You can make a very good bargain on your membership now as they are pushing a membership drive. Depending on your expectations The British Club may suit you well, it is much more relaxed there than years back.

I prefer the Royal Bangkok Sports Club (RBSC), the facilities are many steps up, as is the clientele. From a networking and business perspective RBSC suites my needs well, I have several meeting there a week and entertain guest often. It just makes sense for me to use their fitness facilities, including golf, gym, tennis, squash and more. If I did not have the business needs to fulfill, I would probably use The British Club more, as I do prefer having a more relaxed atmosphere at times.

Edited by KHR1010

Can't speak for the British Club because I never joined - 40 years ago when I first came here it literally lived up to its name and only Brits need apply - now it's far more open but not sure of the mix of Nationalities.

You can join the RBSC as an Associate, non-voting, Member at a present cost of Baht 125,000.- a year, as already said facilities are excellent and there is a full mix of Nationalities - although obviously Thais predominate. To me the main attraction is an 18 Hole Golf Course smack in the middle of Bangkok, however since the OP does not play Golf Baht 125,000.- a year may be a bit expensive!

The RBSC Polo Club, off Wireless Road, may be a better alternative - all the facilities of the main RBSC but no Golf - not sure of the cost of joining or the length of the waiting list however.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

I believe that you can now get an annual membership with the British Club for about 16,000 baht. This gives you no voting rights but with the well priced food and drink you could even make your money back by visiting a few times a week.

If you live within walking distance (Silom, Surawong and maybe even Sathorn) it would be easy to reach, but not so convenient for public transport.

The whole Silom area has rather gone downhill compared to other parts of Bangkok.

I recommend Sukhumvit 49/Thonglor/Ekkamai. This is the most happening part of Bangkok with so many international restuarants. It's a mixed community of Japanese, Korean, farang and middle class Thais.

In particular the Racquet Club on Soi 49 (http://www.rqclub.com/) has recently rennovated and apart from the gym, it has 2 swimming pools, tennis, badminton, rock climbing, squash, snooker etc, etc -- all for around 22 K THB per annum.

If you want to be surrounded by other Brits than I guess the British Club is the place to be, but in terms of value and facilties, look at the area from soi 39 to Ekkamai.

Cost of accommodation is quite high here though.....

The whole Silom area has rather gone downhill compared to other parts of Bangkok.

I recommend Sukhumvit 49/Thonglor/Ekkamai. This is the most happening part of Bangkok with so many international restuarants. It's a mixed community of Japanese, Korean, farang and middle class Thais.

In particular the Racquet Club on Soi 49 (http://www.rqclub.com/) has recently rennovated and apart from the gym, it has 2 swimming pools, tennis, badminton, rock climbing, squash, snooker etc, etc -- all for around 22 K THB per annum.

If you want to be surrounded by other Brits than I guess the British Club is the place to be, but in terms of value and facilties, look at the area from soi 39 to Ekkamai.

Not only Brits, Canadians, Australians & New Zealanders can be full members-I'll be joining in July and on the numerous trips to the club I enjoyed the surroundings, club atmosphere, people & food, for me it is a real value and I can entertain business associates & friends, just wish they had onsite badminton.

Not only Brits, Canadians, Australians & New Zealanders can be full members-I'll be joining in July and on the numerous trips to the club I enjoyed the surroundings, club atmosphere, people & food, for me it is a real value and I can entertain business associates & friends, just wish they had onsite badminton.

William,

Are you referring to the British Club, or to CBDs post?

William,

Are you referring to the British Club, or to CBDs post?

British Club - sorry I should have mentioned that.

I believe that you can now get an annual membership with the British Club for about 16,000 baht. This gives you no voting rights but with the well priced food and drink you could even make your money back by visiting a few times a week.

If you live within walking distance (Silom, Surawong and maybe even Sathorn) it would be easy to reach, but not so convenient for public transport.

Do they still have a fixed minimum you had to spend monthly in the restaurant though? which you have to pay whether or not you actually eat there.

I had lunch at the British Club in Jakarta a long time ago...good pub grub and good beer and a nice quiet air conditioned situ...and there were the surrounding gardens with tennis and squash courts and an all around wonderful place when just outside the gates there was the roar and crazyness of SE Asia...and you could see gentlemen in flannels on the terrace with the G&Ts with a bit of this and a bit of that...

but, I'm a yank and didn't qualify for membership...expat yanks are supposed to be rough and tumble and no civilized arrangements are available for them...sad.png

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I believe that you can now get an annual membership with the British Club for about 16,000 baht.

Intrigued by this thread, I went to their website. It seems the 16,500 is an initiation fee and there's also a monthly fee on top of that.

Or am I reading their chart wrong?

I believe that you can now get an annual membership with the British Club for about 16,000 baht.

Intrigued by this thread, I went to their website. It seems the 16,500 is an initiation fee and there's also a monthly fee on top of that.

Or am I reading their chart wrong?

I was told by the manager of the Brirish Club that you could get an annual non-voting rights membership for 16,000. Maybe he was not telling me the full story. i would therefore be interested to know what the true cost of membership is (or maybe it is like California WOW gym and you negotiate your own price directly?)

but, I'm a yank and didn't qualify for membership...expat yanks are supposed to be rough and tumble and no civilized arrangements are available for them...sad.png

Well, not since Silver Dollar and Texas Lone Star closed...drunk.gif

Well, not since Silver Dollar and Texas Lone Star closed...drunk.gif

Moved or just closed down?

A great pity if they've gone for good, the soulless, overpriced faux-Irish places like The Dubliner thrive and the real (OK old) drinking places die off.

Not been round there for a while, must investigate.

To their website (apologies if this is against the rules):

http://www.britishcl...rship-fees.html

hey! I'm a yank and if the British Club in BKK is anything like the one in Jakarta then I want to join...but then, I would be with the family who are a dark skinned mob of rice farmers from Suphanburi...and the kids would like the swimming pool!

I was a 10 year resident in the UK about 12 years ago ('leave to remain indefinitely') unfortunately I know nothing about cricket and football...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

hey! I'm a yank and if the British Club in BKK is anything like the one in Jakarta then I want to join...but then, I would be with the family who are a dark skinned mob of rice farmers from Suphanburi...and the kids would like the swimming pool!

I was a 10 year resident in the UK about 12 years ago ('leave to remain indefinitely') unfortunately I know nothing about cricket and football...

which mental asylum were you in?

well...there was one in Derby...and then there was one in Brighton...and it wasn't fair, brits living in the US are not supposed to know about baseball...

but the other asylum inmates were friendly...one guy was there because he preferred asian food to roast beef and yorkshire pudding and he had to endure forced feeding...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

well...there was one in Derby...and then there was one in Brighton...and it wasn't fair, brits living in the US are not supposed to know about baseball...

but the other asylum inmates were friendly...one guy was there because he preferred asian food to roast beef and yorkshire pudding...

Hey, we invented it, but we call it rounders and it's a girls game!!

• Like 2

I've been a member of the British club for 5 years. Very good for social events, swimming pool, holidays, etc

Have made almost all my friends in Bangkok from here. Nice people , mostly Brit expats many of whom have been in Thailand a long time .

I think a beer in the Churchill bar beats any noisy Bangkok tourist spot any time.

The club has been through ups and downs due to economy and Thai politics/economy but is very active and quite busy now. There is a new manager and chairman and they seem to have things going in the right direction.

Food is very good and not expensive. Membership is open to all nationalities but some have a waiting list.

I've been a member of the British club for 5 years. Very good for social events, swimming pool, holidays, etc

Have made almost all my friends in Bangkok from here. Nice people , mostly Brit expats many of whom have been in Thailand a long time .

I think a beer in the Churchill bar beats any noisy Bangkok tourist spot any time.

The club has been through ups and downs due to economy and Thai politics/economy but is very active and quite busy now. There is a new manager and chairman and they seem to have things going in the right direction.

Food is very good and not expensive. Membership is open to all nationalities but some have a waiting list.

I am as British as you get . How much for me to torment the other residents of the Churchill bar for a year?

Edited by smokie36

I am as British as you get . How much for me to torment the other residents of the Churchill bar for a year?

get outta here smokie...yer glaswegian...and then Nigel at the bar (frowning) sez to no one in particular: 'do we allow ethnic types in this club?...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

get outta here smokie...yer glaswegian...and then Nigel at the bar sez to no one in particular: 'do we allow ethnic types in this club?...'

At all tutsi. I'm an East Coaster and shower daily. Anyhow...I will share my membership with ya...as long as you agree to munch my allocation of faggots.

Just don't tell Humph........

get outta here smokie...yer glaswegian...and then Nigel at the bar sez to no one in particular: 'do we allow ethnic types in this club?...'

At all tutsi. I'm an East Coaster and shower daily. Anyhow...I will share my membership with ya...as long as you agree to munch my allocation of faggots.

Just don't tell Humph........

faggots? right on...lets bbq them mothers...humph he's cool, a long time SE Asia associate and flexible with the local cuisine...

then Nigel down the British Club bar observes: ' faggots? (ahem) unusual cuisine...'

'shaddup an' eat it, goddammit...'