Ipad + Prepaid 3G Card

nikster

This is my first iPad with SIM - I stuck a prepaid True-H card in it and it works fine.

But there is no way to check balance, so I have no idea where I am with the usage, or when it expires.

Anyone have experience with that? Are the other carriers better? I assume they'd have to have an app for it, or there'd need to be some way to get the balance from a number other than the SIM number...

Post Paid True-H really are not very good deals - they have a 200 baht off on a 799 unlimited plan if you have a phone. Lame. It should be way cheaper than that. I expect to use the iPad in the vicinity of WiFi, and if not I can also tether it to the phone if needed - the 3G card is basically only for the fact that it's more convenient for quickly checking emails and things like that. Even the cheapest monthly is 350/500 MB - don't quite understand the reasoning behind that as the prepaid cards get 1GB for 350 baht.

Um... I guess they have the same thing on their website. How do you sign up though?

I was trying to sign up via email, last question on the form is ID card. I put in my ID number (passport) which was rejected. Then I tried numbers but eventually realized I don't know how many digits on a Thai ID card. So I Google Thai ID card, find an image of one, and enter the number on it. Worked. Except.... it seems like I am in somebody else's account now. Internet + landline show up under account info... I don't have True internet so ... whoever that is, it's not me.

Yikes!

There is actually a way to check your balance online (but you ll have to be on a 3G connection and not wifi at the time you check) :

go to :

h.truelife.com/isim

Register your sim (I am not completely sure how you do it as the wife did it) and then you can check your credit on the iPad, I know for sure because I do it all the time.

I have the iPad 1, and I ll probably upgrade to the new one, what you dont mention also is that the iPad 3G has a GPS, both the 3G (cheap and convenient with true prepaid) and GPS make the additional cost well worth it I think, but I ll probably take the 16G this time, I dont need to carry too many medias as I stream them in home mostly (app Airdisplay; amazing...);

EDIT : I just saw your previous post, I am affraid that if you need a thai ID card, it wont be easy to register and not easy to find one that doesnt have a true account attached, ask around your thai entourage, but I am not sure they feel comfortable in sharing their ID (very important here)

Edited by fab99

Well on the second try I was able to register from my phone, using my phone number. In this case they send you a password by SMS so you need the SIM to be in the phone. But now I can check balance and top up from within the app on the iPad, which is all I need, really.

Thanks for the tip!!

I had previously searched for True on the app store, but this app didn't show up. I guess it's from "true iServices" rather than "True Move". The technical staff at True / Chiang Mai apparently was blissfully unaware of this option as well - they told me it can't be done. No mention of this app.

The app is crappy but ... as long as it works I don't really care.

If anybody else is interested in how to do this:

9 simple steps:

1 - Get the above app on both the iPad and your iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone you can do the same via website but I didn't try that.

http://itunes.apple....d394602822?mt=8

2 - Put the 3G SIM from the iPad into the iPhone

3 - Start the app on the phone. Click "register with number"

4 - Enter the iPad's 3G SIM card phone number

5 - You get a login screen on the app - switch to SMS app and wait for the SMS with the password

6 - Log in with number and password

7 - If that works - all OK. If not, get another password -> back to step (3). I had to do it twice.

8 - Then swap the SIM into the iPad, open the app on the iPad, and log in with the phone number and password there. Click the remember me button so you don't have to do it every time you start the app

9 - Write down the number and password somewhere on the iPad.

Now you have the app on the iPad, linked to your 3G SIM card.

PS: Yep half the reason I wanted to get the 3G is the GPS. I will try to use it as a sort of mobile motorbike map / GPS - not sure if that will be practical. I don't need a lot of data - I can always tether via iPhone... the new iPad is definitely worth the money, the screen is just amazing.

Edited by nikster

Can you originate an SMS on the 3G iPad? Perhaps through the use of an application?

If so, send an SMS to 9789 with the letter b in the body, you should receive a reply with data plan stats/usage to date.

DTAC have some excellent services: a cool Android app. (assume there is an iTunes version) and a great web-based e-services platform.

post-9615-0-54419900-1336011970_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-74128000-1336011985_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-51753100-1336011994_thumb.jp

Well on the second try I was able to register from my phone, using my phone number. In this case they send you a password by SMS so you need the SIM to be in the phone. But now I can check balance and top up from within the app on the iPad, which is all I need, really.

Thanks for the tip!!

I had previously searched for True on the app store, but this app didn't show up. I guess it's from "true iServices" rather than "True Move". The technical staff at True / Chiang Mai apparently was blissfully unaware of this option as well - they told me it can't be done. No mention of this app.

The app is crappy but ... as long as it works I don't really care.

If anybody else is interested in how to do this:

9 simple steps:

1 - Get the above app on both the iPad and your iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone you can do the same via website but I didn't try that.

http://itunes.apple....d394602822?mt=8

2 - Put the 3G SIM from the iPad into the iPhone

3 - Start the app on the phone. Click "register with number"

4 - Enter the iPad's 3G SIM card phone number

5 - You get a login screen on the app - switch to SMS app and wait for the SMS with the password

6 - Log in with number and password

7 - If that works - all OK. If not, get another password -> back to step (3). I had to do it twice.

8 - Then swap the SIM into the iPad, open the app on the iPad, and log in with the phone number and password there. Click the remember me button so you don't have to do it every time you start the app

9 - Write down the number and password somewhere on the iPad.

Now you have the app on the iPad, linked to your 3G SIM card.

PS: Yep half the reason I wanted to get the 3G is the GPS. I will try to use it as a sort of mobile motorbike map / GPS - not sure if that will be practical. I don't need a lot of data - I can always tether via iPhone... the new iPad is definitely worth the money, the screen is just amazing.

Glad you got it working eventually!

Although that 'remember me' button has never worked for me!

I'd love to have a play with one, to see the screen, but my iPad 2 is basically a paperweight. It's a thing of beauty, but I really don't have any use for it at all, except occasionally playing Sudoku...

Can you originate an SMS on the 3G iPad? Perhaps through the use of an application?

If so, send an SMS to 9789 with the letter b in the body, you should receive a reply with data plan stats/usage to date.

Nope. No SMS. No SIM services menu either. It's quite annoying. Would it have killed them to add SMS? But I guess Apple being based in the USA they don't really know too much about prepaid data SIM cards. As you can't buy them over there.

That DTAC app looks suspiciously like the True iServices app, down to the color scheme. Maybe there's a software house that customizes these for various operators. Would make sense. I would use DTAC if they had 3G, but I don't think they do in Chiang Mai?! Or Thailand wide, like True-H?

@jamesbrock you're right the "remember me" button doesn't work. Annoying, luckily I followed my own advice and have number and password handy, quick copy and paste from the notes app and done.

I just tried it and it does work otherwise though... well halfway... this app is the equivalent of Thai power lines... kinda sorta work in a very messy way, but if something goes wrong nobody is too surprised ;)

Anyway, I was able to top up the card via SCB easy banking website. Then used the app to subscribe to the 1GB / 350 baht plan. Then reset the cellular data usage counter on the iPad so I don't have to use this app too often. Once a month basically.

Thanks again for the tip!!

detact are doing unlimited for my i pad 3 at 400 baht a month...just top it up every month great service.

Can you provide a link to the DTAC plan you have?

There is a post-paid iPad plan, Tablet 399 (before VAT) which does give 1 GB "unlimited but the fair-use speed limit is 64 Kbps which some may find overly restrictive?

http://www.dtac.co.th/ipad/priceplan.php

On the prepaid side Happy have different plans:

399/1GB/64 Kbps

650/3 GB/384 Kbps

890/ 5 GB/384 Kbps

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281&Itemid=265〈=th

For a strictly data-only, like for the iPad, application I might look at Cat My (590/4 GB/384 Kbps) which operates on the exact same physical network. Or even TOT, 790, totally unlimited, no fair-use speed limits.