Dvd To Usb

PattayaParent

I'm looking at getting a netbook and as it doesn't come with a DVD drive I was wondering if it's possible to transfer DVDs to an external drive to connect by USB and how to do it?

I'm thinking of movies that are on DVD, as well as games. Some old CD movies and games too if possible?

Thanks

Edited by PattayaParent

Anything is possible. You can also get external DVD drives.

I know yu can get external DVD drives but that means carrying around the drive AND discs.

If I can put a few on a thumb drive or an external HDD, or even copy to the internal HDD it would be better.

So do you know how it's possible?

If you want to put DVD:s or CD:s on the hard disc or a usb memory it is possible. You create an image file (.img) from the CD or DVD.

There are severals application that can do this, and there are also drivers that can make your image file look like an external drive (D: )

Search for "create image file" and you will find both pay and freeware.

Can not handle copy protected discs

Edited by mackes

Can be worth considering Apple MacBook or MacAir.

MacOs have this feature buildt in in the OS. Running Mac since 5 years and spend less time with technical stuff and more to what I really want to do.

If you want to put DVD:s or CD:s on the hard disc or a usb memory it is possible. You create an image file (.img) from the CD or DVD.

There are severals application that can do this, and there are also drivers that can make your image file look like an external drive (D: )

Search for "create image file" and you will find both pay and freeware.

Can not handle copy protected discs

Actually from an unprotected disk you can just copy the files from the DVD to the HD.

A protected disk, you can do the same after you use . . . can't talk about that here. Google is your friend.

So in your media player you can "play folder" or start w/ the first .ifo file in the dir to start the vid.

But since you're just gonna be watching on a netbook, and considering putting the files on a flashdrive, I'd just rip the DVD to an .avi file, good 'nuff resolution and MUCH smaller. Here's a start in that process:

http://www.techsuppo...-dvd-ripper.htm

If the DVD is protected you'd have to deal w/ the protection first of course.

ImgBurn for making an ISO file of the DVD. Virtual CloneDrive for mounting the ISO image file. Both free and I've used them both for a long time and they work brilliantly.

Obviously for video files this isn't necessary. Copying an installation disk is problematic, especially for games where it may be required to be mounted. Also, copying the raw disk means dozens or hundreds of files and possibility of losing some at some time while making an ISO it is a single file you have to copy/manage.

ImgBurn for making an ISO file of the DVD. Virtual CloneDrive for mounting the ISO image file. Both free and I've used them both for a long time and they work brilliantly.

Obviously for video files this isn't necessary. Copying an installation disk is problematic, especially for games where it may be required to be mounted. Also, copying the raw disk means dozens or hundreds of files and possibility of losing some at some time while making an ISO it is a single file you have to copy/manage.

Ah, forgot about the games--'cause we're just talking netbook.

Wot Tywais said.

Aiseesoft DVD Ripper 6.2.26 Portable | 20.03 Mb

Aiseesoft DVD Ripper, one of the Top DVD Ripper, can easily rip DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, 3GP, MOV, DivX, MP3, WMA, AAC, etc. Aiseesoft DVD Ripper can rip DVD to HD video as well with best quality in a short time. With this best DVD Ripper software, you can enjoy your DVD files on PSP, iPod, iPhone, iPad (iPad 2), Zune, BlackBerry, Creative Zen, Apple TV, Xbox, NDS, Mobile Phone, etc.

Free Download Here

1 After download transfere application to a USB drive

2 Insert USB drive into PC with a DVD drive

3 Run the application exe file on the USB drive (This is a portable application and is not installed onto the hard drive so can be run on any internet cafe PC if needed

4 Insert DVD and start ripping

Handbrake will allow you to transcode your unprotected dvds down to a managable size and leave them fit for Ipod/Ipad consumption. I just hope that you aren't planning on running it on your netbook because that would take forever to convert them...

This for ripping and this for creating image files. Wouldn't bother ripping to XviD (unless space is a real issue) unless you have a great deal of time on your hands and you don't mind hammering your CPU to death. Most media players play ISO/VOB files now. This is excellent.

Handbrake will allow you to transcode your unprotected dvds down to a managable size and leave them fit for Ipod/Ipad consumption. I just hope that you aren't planning on running it on your netbook because that would take forever to convert them...

No I'd do any converting on the new i5 machine and then transfer it over to the netbook.

No I'd do any converting on the new i5 machine and then transfer it over to the netbook.

Should go pretty quickly for you; I don't have exact numbers for an i5 processor, but using the ipod touch profile my lowly SU7300 (Core2 Duo 1,3ghz 10w!) does about 2x real time. I.E., for every 30 minutes of video (SD that is), it takes 15 minutes to convert. That's with quality settings good enough for the 1366x768 screen.