Funny Thai Sayings

mjj

You profess to be an expert and have never heard of kee buri????

I can only repeat, kee + noun is usually used to describe some sort of animal waste product.

I can imagine how someone might stretch that to incude all organic waste, but it is not a normal use of the word.

I can also see how 'greng jai' can be brought into play to not correct a certain type of foreigner when they make a language mistake.

@Pseud

kee wan ขี้หวั่น

= timid or fearful person?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kee buri?

I always thought it was tia buri.

Just asked .... you are correct, Kia Buri เขี่ย บุรี่ for cigarette ash (which is probs why I never heard kee buri used)

PattayaParent ..... goes down in flames (or maybe just goes down in ashes).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

kee buri?

I always thought it was tia buri.

Just asked .... you are correct, Kia Buri เขี่ย บุรี่ for cigarette ash (which is probs why I never heard kee buri used)

PattayaParent ..... goes down in flames (or maybe just goes down in ashes).

ขี้บุหรี่ kheeF booL reeL noun cigarette ash

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

So I guess your not really the experts you think you are eh?

I think online sources often make mistakes, or repeat mistakes others have made.

I also make mistakes I said 'kee + verb' earlier when of course it should have been 'kee + adjective'.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

หน้าเนื้อใจเสือ - Face of a deer, heart of a tiger ( A wolf in sheep's clothing )

Face, flesh, and heart of a tiger = It's face is happy and smiling but inside it thinks bad thoughts (naa taa yim yem jairm sai tair kang nai kit rai).

No 'deer' anywhere there.

I suspect that the "deer" here is a metaphor: Think Bambi.

You are confusing

kee + noun = bodily waste of some type with

kee + verb = modifier to transform verb into a negative human characteristic.

Please ask any Thai speaker if you don't believe us. Both kee are spelt the same way in Thai script.

Kee neow = sticky as a negative human characteristic (as in unwilling to part with money) because kee + verb

This is a really basic misunderstanding of the Thai language made by many noobs, please stop passing it on.

PS

I've never heard of Kee buri, it could mean waste from cigarette (as kee + noun), but usually only used for animal waste.

(more likely bar girl talk)

Kee + noun

Kee jamook = snot (waste from nose)

Kee hoo = ear wax (waste from ear)

Kee dtaa = eye grunge (waste from eye)

Kee + verb

Kee bon = negging person

Kee mao = drunkard

Kee lum = forgetful person

I am certain Kee means poo. Sorry if it offends you, and no, I have not learnt my Thai from hookers, but I have never heard any Thai say "No K.Pseudolus, Kee does not mean poo. It is a random word used to turn something into a negative" . If I hear from someone that works for me in my office the word Kee followed by another word I do not understand, the translation is always "Shit XYZ (whatever the other word is)"

I've only heard once before someone telling me Kee does not mean Shit and this was from a Farang whose wife called him "Kee Wan" and he went to great lengths to explain that I was wrong. He wore those Thai Clothes and looked like a monk as well; Thai'r than Thai I think; basically full of Kee.

Sorry to say, but I suspect you probably were wrong.

The "Kee" word is used in different tones and be used in the context for asking "how many".

The guys wife might possibly have been asking "how many days?" presuming waan was meaning day, and not sweet.

If you've never had a Thai ask you how long you've been here...pak yoo mueng Thai kee phee...(how many years have you been here) its obvious they aint talking about shit!

In any case this a pretty good thread for arguing the case of having to learn to read Thai to speak good Thai

edit: Of course, always possible the guys wife was saying shit is sweet or calling him a sweet shit, guess we will never know laugh.png

Edited by ozzieovaseas

kee waan means cannot help himself being sweet/loveable.

kee Mao means cannot help himself being drunk.

kee grod or kee mor hor means he can't stop getting angry.

Kee means 'shit' but also a (negative) tendency. Naa is kind of the opposite, creating a positive tendency, naa rak= loveable, naa gin=I want to eat it, naa endoo= makes me feel sorry for him.

hmm, that last one isn't so positive...

Edited by naboo

gin bon reuan, kii bon lang kaa

eat in a house then sh*t on the roof

meaning to be ungrateful to those who did good things for them.

(a pretty good description of my in-laws.)

Source: Beckers; Speak like a Thai vol. 3

Pak wan,gon priow - sweet mouth, sour arse.

Bum bum, boe boe - forgetful, absent-minded.

-----

And one that fits many of us - Old buffalo likes to eat young grass!

im guessing you dont have a particulary good ear for languages.

not only have you got the phase wrong - ba ba boe boe -- and it means crazy, nuts

You are confusing

kee + noun = bodily waste of some type with

kee + verb = modifier to transform verb into a negative human characteristic.

Please ask any Thai speaker if you don't believe us. Both kee are spelt the same way in Thai script.

Kee neow = sticky as a negative human characteristic (as in unwilling to part with money) because kee + verb

This is a really basic misunderstanding of the Thai language made by many noobs, please stop passing it on.

PS

I've never heard of Kee buri, it could mean waste from cigarette (as kee + noun), but usually only used for animal waste.

(more likely bar girl talk)

Kee + noun

Kee jamook = snot (waste from nose)

Kee hoo = ear wax (waste from ear)

Kee dtaa = eye grunge (waste from eye)

Kee + verb

Kee bon = negging person

Kee mao = drunkard

Kee lum = forgetful person

I am certain Kee means poo. Sorry if it offends you, and no, I have not learnt my Thai from hookers, but I have never heard any Thai say "No K.Pseudolus, Kee does not mean poo. It is a random word used to turn something into a negative" . If I hear from someone that works for me in my office the word Kee followed by another word I do not understand, the translation is always "Shit XYZ (whatever the other word is)"

I've only heard once before someone telling me Kee does not mean Shit and this was from a Farang whose wife called him "Kee Wan" and he went to great lengths to explain that I was wrong. He wore those Thai Clothes and looked like a monk as well; Thai'r than Thai I think; basically full of Kee.

Sorry to say, but I suspect you probably were wrong.

The "Kee" word is used in different tones and be used in the context for asking "how many".

The guys wife might possibly have been asking "how many days?" presuming waan was meaning day, and not sweet.

If you've never had a Thai ask you how long you've been here...pak yoo mueng Thai kee phee...(how many years have you been here) its obvious they aint talking about shit!

In any case this a pretty good thread for arguing the case of having to learn to read Thai to speak good Thai

edit: Of course, always possible the guys wife was saying shit is sweet or calling him a sweet shit, guess we will never know laugh.png

good lord this thread is full of people who havent the slightest clue pontificating like experts.

The word you are rambling on about erroneously is Gii with a hard g sound rather than the K sound of Kee. they are two different words with two distinctly different sounds

Very funny thread.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

- Donald Rumsfeld

A bit more eloquently, from a Persian poet:

One who knows and knows that he knows... His horse of wisdom will reach the skies.

One who knows, but doesn't know that he knows... He is fast asleep, so you should wake him up!

One who doesn't know, but knows that he doesn't know... His limping mule will eventually get him home.

One who doesn't know and doesn't know that he doesn't know... He will be eternally lost in his hopeless oblivion!

- Ibn Yamin (ابن یمین فریومدی)

What do you think a chicken sexer does?

dam_n now I can't get that picture out of my head 8-(

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I think online sources often make mistakes, or repeat mistakes others have made.

I also make mistakes I said 'kee + verb' earlier when of course it should have been 'kee + adjective'.

and the mistake you seem to be making is learning Thai from an Isaan rice farmer.

-----

not only have you got the phase wrong - ba ba boe boe -- and it means crazy, nuts

Well, if it's a wrong phrase, please inform Se-Ed's Modern Thai-English Dictionary, page 345 - I didn't need a good ear to read this;

ป้ำฯ เป๋อฯ - forgetful, oblivious, unmindful, absent-minded.

As opposed to - บ้าฯ บอฯ - your crazy phrase.

Friends,

Isn't it possible that you both could be correct? And, that Thai people say both and others besides?

Here is a listing of synonyms from "คลังคำ" by อาจารย์นววรรณ พันธุเมธา:

บ้า บอ บ้าๆ บอๆ ติงต๊อง บวม บวมๆ บ๊อง บ๊องๆ บ้าๆ บวมๆ เบาเต็ง ไม่เต็มเต็ง ไม่เต็มหุน สติเฟื่อง สองสลึงเฟื้อง สามสลึงเฟื้อง สติเสีย

I have no doubt that ป้ำฯ เป๋อฯ is also said. Domnern Sathienpong has a no doubt related word ป้ำเป๋อ meaning to be forgetful. Certainly all these are somewhat synonymous meaning "not playing with a full deck."

Friends,

Isn't it possible that you both could be correct? And, that Thai people say both and others besides?

บ้า บอ บ้าๆ บอๆ ติงต๊อง บวม บวมๆ บ๊อง บ๊องๆ บ้าๆ บวมๆ เบาเต็ง ไม่เต็มเต็ง ไม่เต็มหุน สติเฟื่อง สองสลึงเฟื้อง สามสลึงเฟื้อง สติเสีย

I have no doubt that ป้ำฯ เป๋อฯ is also said. Domnern Sathienpong has a no doubt related word ป้ำเป๋อ meaning to be forgetful. Certainly all these are somewhat synonymous meaning "not playing with a full deck."

You're probably right - after all, we also use phrases to mean different things.

This is a nice, fun thread from the OP, and we are all learning new expressions; there isn't any need for nit-picking and criticising of people's Thai language skills. Save the bile for the General forum!

-----

Well, if it's a wrong phrase, please inform Se-Ed's Modern Thai-English Dictionary, page 345 - I didn't need a good ear to read this;

ป้ำฯ เป๋อฯ - forgetful, oblivious, unmindful, absent-minded.

As opposed to - บ้าฯ บอฯ - your crazy phrase.

fair nuff.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

Friends,

You're probably right - after all, we also use phrases to mean different things.

This is a nice, fun thread from the OP, and we are all learning new expressions; there isn't any need for nit-picking and criticising of people's Thai language skills. Save the bile for the General forum!

Dont now if this have anything to do in this discussion....

but we are useing at home Bo bea, bo bea ,and twisting hands to ecsplain to the kids that things (candy) are gone, or emty . as funny words.

Your ignorance is not my problem, believe what you want.

Next you will be telling us that you can use 'ow' with a verb, when of course 'ow' can only precede a noun.

(This is the second mistake noobs always make)

Sorry Tommo, but Pseudolus is right. It means "shit + xyz" like in the following common words:

kee ai - someone who is embarrassed by shit

kee leum- someone who forgets shit

kee len- someone who likes to play with shit

kee glua- someone who is afraid of shit

etc.

Sorry Tommo, but Pseudolus is right. It means "shit + xyz" like in the following common words:

etc.

It is both a superlative to emphasis a negative tone, and also translate directly to shit.

No more difficult than the word <removed> in english, which also serve more than one purpose

Friends,

+1

etc.

No no no!

you have it completely wrong - haven't you been paying attention?!

kee ai - The shit is feeling shy or embarrassed (maybe because of the smell)

kee leum- The shit has forgotten

kee len- The shit is playing

kee glua- The shit is afraid, probably because it was playing rough and had forgotten that it stank - how embarrassing :D