Funny Thai Sayings

mjj

As my Thai is below par I'm sure you know more than me with regard to Thai sayings. But a few that I have heard are funny in there literal translations.

Cheap skate - kee neow - sticky shit

What do you think I'm doing - ???? - what does it look like I'm doing, growing bananas?

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick - ???? - better to have poo than a fart, because at least you have something.

Please feel free to add to bring a bit of light hearted entertainment to a Saturday night.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kee is a generic (if a bit impolite) intensifier.

"sticky" as in the bills stick to my fingers.

"kee mao" very drunk

"kee leum" very forgetful

"kee nok" is different, that's actually bird shit, used for a farang who is not only kee niao but down and out, doesn't even have the airfare to go home, good for nothing

• Like 1

"kee nok" is different, that's actually bird shit, used for a farang who is not only kee niao but down and out, doesn't even have the airfare to go home, good for nothing

In short "jae mak mak" biggrin.png

"Mai dtem Baht" Not full Baht..to describe someone not really crazy, but who behaves strangely..

I like this one, sounds funny to me.

In the UK(well, at least in Scotland) they say "Not the full shilling" for the same thing.

Funny.

Thanks for that one.

• Like 1

"Mai dtem Baht" Not full Baht..to describe someone not really crazy, but who behaves strangely..

I like this one, sounds funny to me.

In the UK(well, at least in Scotland) they say "Not the full shilling" for the same thing.

Funny.

Thanks for that one.

Hehe, the world's small, isn't it..In Italy we say " short of a Friday " to describe the same situation :)

When i translate that for Thai friends they get the meaning..

• Like 1

"kee mao" very drunk

You're right it's an impolite intensifier but it doesn't imply 'very' which is a completely different word. More appropriate translations to English vernacular would be

"kee mao" shitfaced

"kee leum" shit for brains

"kee nok" chicken shit

"kee niow" comes from the Thai saying "he's so mean he won't give his shit away"

Paw thai lairw . . . i hope your father dies

Mai chai paw mai chai mare . . . Not my father or mother (what do i care)

Hen chang kee kee tam chang . . . See an elephant shit, try to copy (keeping up with the Jones

Yaa sorn jorakay why nam . . . Dont teach a crocodile to swim.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by TommoPhysicist

"kee mao" very drunk

You're right it's an impolite intensifier but it doesn't imply 'very' which is a completely different word. More appropriate translations to English vernacular would be

"kee mao" shitfaced

"kee nok" chicken shit

"kee niow" comes from the Thai saying "he's so mean he won't give his shit away"

Kee is just one of the many words that has more than one meaning.

Noun. It can mean "waste product", including "shit, excrement". Kee booree does not mean "cigarette shit" it means "cigarette ash"

As an adverb, adjective, kee is a prefix that indicates a character trait, and in this case is nothing to do with "shit"

Kee neeow does not mean shit sticky, it means stingy

Kee mao means that the person referred to is an habitual drunk/alcoholic

Kee leum means "forgetful", "absent minded"

The English word "Sex" has more than one meaning. It can be used to differentiate between male and females.

Context usually will make it obvious what meaning is being applied.

ie - "Opposite sex" would not normally make the hearer think of anything to do with the act of sex, nor would being asked the sex of your child.

What do you think a chicken sexer does?

• Like 2

Pak wan,gon priow - sweet mouth, sour arse.

Bum bum, boe boe - forgetful, absent-minded.

-----

And one that fits many of us - Old buffalo likes to eat young grass!

Hahaha! Sweet mouth, sour arsed! That made me chuckle! cheesy.gif

หน้าเนื้อใจเสือ - Face of a deer, heart of a tiger ( A wolf in sheep's clothing )

วัวแก่เคี้ยวหญ้าอ่อน - Old cow likes to eat fresh grass ( Old men like young girls ) whistling.gif

รักพี่เสียดายน้อง - Love the older sister and long for the younger one (The grass is greener on the other side)

And my favourite - หนูตกถังข้าวสาร - A mouse falls into a bin of rice (A poor man who married a rich girl) - surely never happened to a Male Westerner over here?

หน้าเนื้อใจเสือ - Face of a deer, heart of a tiger ( A wolf in sheep's clothing )

วัวแก่เคี้ยวหญ้าอ่อน - Old cow likes to eat fresh grass ( Old men like young girls ) whistling.gif

รักพี่เสียดายน้อง - Love the older sister and long for the younger one (The grass is greener on the other side)

And my favourite - หนูตกถังข้าวสาร - A mouse falls into a bin of rice (A poor man who married a rich girl) - surely never happened to a Male Westerner over here?

Oh it happens but never heard about in TV...

• Like 1

Thank for this thread, it help understanding Thai mind

I knew this one but I thought it was for cougar, older woman with younger boyfriend.

Thank for this thread, it help understanding Thai mind

I knew this one but I thought it was for cougar, older woman with younger boyfriend.

Certainly fits the bovine gender directive better :)

"kee mao" very drunk

"kee mao" shitfaced

"kee nok" chicken shit

Kee is just one of the many words that has more than one meaning.

Noun. It can mean "waste product", including "shit, excrement". Kee booree does not mean "cigarette shit" it means "cigarette ash"

As an adverb, adjective, kee is a prefix that indicates a character trait, and in this case is nothing to do with "shit"

Kee neeow does not mean shit sticky, it means stingy

Kee mao means that the person referred to is an habitual drunk/alcoholic

Kee leum means "forgetful", "absent minded"

The English word "Sex" has more than one meaning. It can be used to differentiate between male and females.

Context usually will make it obvious what meaning is being applied.

ie - "Opposite sex" would not normally make the hearer think of anything to do with the act of sex, nor would being asked the sex of your child.

What do you think a chicken sexer does?

Kee buri is literally shit from a cigarette.

Kee Niow translates literally as sticky shit and as I said comes from the Thai saying that 'he's so mean (stingy) he won't give away his shit'.

Face, flesh, and heart of a tiger = It's face is happy and smiling but inside it thinks bad thoughts (naa taa yim yem jairm sai tair kang nai kit rai).

No 'deer' anywhere there.

Kee Niow translates literally as sticky shit and as I said comes from the Thai saying that 'he's so mean (stingy) he won't give away his shit'.

You are confusing

kee + noun = bodily waste of some type with

kee + verb = modifier to transform verb into a negative human characteristic.

Please ask any Thai speaker if you don't believe us. Both kee are spelt the same way in Thai script.

Kee neow = sticky as a negative human characteristic (as in unwilling to part with money) because kee + verb

This is a really basic misunderstanding of the Thai language made by many noobs, please stop passing it on.

PS

I've never heard of Kee buri, it could mean waste from cigarette (as kee + noun), but usually only used for animal waste.

(more likely bar girl talk)

Kee + noun

Kee jamook = snot (waste from nose)

Kee hoo = ear wax (waste from ear)

Kee dtaa = eye grunge (waste from eye)

Kee + verb

Kee bon = negging person

Kee mao = drunkard

Kee lum = forgetful person

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

= Old man with young girl or Old woman with young man. (as in not gender specific)

Towe hua ngoo - old man wanting unsuitably young girl (old snake head) is gender specific.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You are confusing

Please ask any Thai speaker if you don't believe us. Both kee are spelt the same way in Thai script.

Kee neow = sticky as a negative human characteristic (as in unwilling to part with money) because kee + verb

This is a really basic misunderstanding of the Thai language made by many noobs, please stop passing it on.

PS

I've never heard of Kee buri, it could mean waste from cigarette (as kee + noun), but usually only used for animal waste.

Kee + noun

Kee + verb

Kee bon = negging person

Kee mao = drunkard

I am certain Kee means poo. Sorry if it offends you, and no, I have not learnt my Thai from hookers, but I have never heard any Thai say "No K.Pseudolus, Kee does not mean poo. It is a random word used to turn something into a negative" . If I hear from someone that works for me in my office the word Kee followed by another word I do not understand, the translation is always "Shit XYZ (whatever the other word is)"

I've only heard once before someone telling me Kee does not mean Shit and this was from a Farang whose wife called him "Kee Wan" and he went to great lengths to explain that I was wrong. He wore those Thai Clothes and looked like a monk as well; Thai'r than Thai I think; basically full of Kee.

Edited by Pseudolus

I am certain Kee means poo. Sorry if it offends you, and no, I have not learnt my Thai from hookers, but I have never heard any Thai say "No K.Pseudolus, Kee does not mean poo. It is a random word used to turn something into a negative" . If I hear from someone that works for me in my office the word Kee followed by another word I do not understand, the translation is always "Shit XYZ (whatever the other word is)"

Your ignorance is not my problem, believe what you want.

Next you will be telling us that you can use 'ow' with a verb, when of course 'ow' can only precede a noun.

(This is the second mistake noobs always make)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You are confusing

PS

Kee + noun

Kee + verb

Kee bon = negging person

Kee mao = drunkard

I suggest you ask a Thai where the term kee niouw comes from, they will tell you it's from the phrase he's so mean he won't part with his shit, ie. his shit sticks to him - sticky shit.

You profess to be an expert and have never heard of kee buri????