Acai Palm Or Rosewood

Acai palm tree, from Brazil, has berries which are said to be #1 in anti-oxidant qualities. As for rosewood, the most valuable (for furniture wood, etc) is Brazilian rosewood, but it's an endangered species, so probably difficult to even get seeds. There are other types, including one or more native to Asia (India). Am looking to grow some. Any help in sourcing starts or seeds is appreciated.

Also on the top of my list:

>>>> any types of grapes which can handle north Thailand's climate. A T.Visa poster had mentioned experimenting with muscat grapes. How's that going?

>>>> kiwi, cocoa, or any intersting others which can handle semi-tropical.

I have many interesting things growing already here in Chiang Rai. Pink grapefruit, vanilla (though not yet flowering after 3 years). Plus macadamias, avocados, brazil noi, red banana (too young to yield at this time),

Some disappointments: thornless blackberries (grow strong, but don't give berries) and edible figs (start strong for first 6 months, then get diseased and expire).

A good source for plants around Chaing Mai is Dok Mai Gardens http://www.dokmaigarden.co.th/index.php and they have Dalbergia cochinchinensis listed on their plant list.This is not the Indian Rosewood you are talking about but the one that is one native to east Asia - Cambodia and Vietnam. There are Dalbergia species found all through S.E Asia and Australia. I was enquiring after some Rosewood timber a few months ago for a mate of mine who wanted it for a guitar he was making. Very difficult to get Rosewood that doesn't involve Illegal poaching/logging it seems .

Another source worth investigating would be the Queen Sirikit Gardens at Mae Rim for the Rosewoods.They have a small nursery right at the top and had many interesting plants.

There are other places in Australia that would possibly stock the Indian Rosewood if you can't find it and you don't mind going to the trouble of importing it. PM me if you want any help as i could name a few possible sources.

I would be interested in followering how you go with the Vanilla Orchids. Are you hand pollinating them ?

Cheers

A good source for plants around Chaing Mai is Dok Mai Gardens http://www.dokmaigar...co.th/index.php and they have Dalbergia cochinchinensis listed on their plant list.This is not the Indian Rosewood you are talking about but the one that is one native to east Asia - Cambodia and Vietnam. There are Dalbergia species found all through S.E Asia and Australia. I was enquiring after some Rosewood timber a few months ago for a mate of mine who wanted it for a guitar he was making. Very difficult to get Rosewood that doesn't involve Illegal poaching/logging it seems .

Another source worth investigating would be the Queen Sirikit Gardens at Mae Rim for the Rosewoods.They have a small nursery right at the top and had many interesting plants.

There are other places in Australia that would possibly stock the Indian Rosewood if you can't find it and you don't mind going to the trouble of importing it. PM me if you want any help as i could name a few possible sources.

I would be interested in followering how you go with the Vanilla Orchids. Are you hand pollinating them ?

Cheers

interesting word combo; 'followering' You probably meant to write 'following' but it resembles the word 'flowering' which fits with the mention of flowers on vanilla vines. rolleyes.gif

I did a bit of research on vanilla, and there are just a few isolated places in the world where they're grown commercially. As you probably know, the prices for natural vanilla are v. high. I rarely go to C.Mai, although I'm just a 3 hr bus ride away, but if so, I'll see about looking up the dok mai place you mentioned. Thanks for that. It's amazing how quickly trees grow in parts of Thailand. Am surprised more Thais don't grow special woods commercially. In contrast, Thais continue to grow rice nearly everywhere, and it's often a disappointing crop - labor intensive, water guzzling, low value. It typifies Thai mentality: Do what everyone else does. Avoid risk. Avoid doing anything 'outside the box' - don't be concerned with researching new or innovative things.

A good source for plants around Chaing Mai is Dok Mai Gardens http://www.dokmaigar...co.th/index.php and they have Dalbergia cochinchinensis listed on their plant list.This is not the Indian Rosewood you are talking about but the one that is one native to east Asia - Cambodia and Vietnam. There are Dalbergia species found all through S.E Asia and Australia. I was enquiring after some Rosewood timber a few months ago for a mate of mine who wanted it for a guitar he was making. Very difficult to get Rosewood that doesn't involve Illegal poaching/logging it seems .

Cheers

interesting word combo; 'followering' You probably meant to write 'following' but it resembles the word 'flowering' which fits with the mention of flowers on vanilla vines. rolleyes.gif

I did a bit of research on vanilla, and there are just a few isolated places in the world where they're grown commercially. As you probably know, the prices for natural vanilla are v. high. I rarely go to C.Mai, although I'm just a 3 hr bus ride away, but if so, I'll see about looking up the dok mai place you mentioned. Thanks for that. It's amazing how quickly trees grow in parts of Thailand. Am surprised more Thais don't grow special woods commercially. In contrast, Thais continue to grow rice nearly everywhere, and it's often a disappointing crop - labor intensive, water guzzling, low value. It typifies Thai mentality: Do what everyone else does. Avoid risk. Avoid doing anything 'outside the box' - don't be concerned with researching new or innovative things.

Yes, it should have been following - it is one of those words i always seem to mispell.

I understand there are a few commercial teak plantations in the north but i suspect the main reasons why they are not grown as much as they are a medium to long term investment plus the security issues as theft of the timber would be a constant problem. However if there are a few rai of hill land it would be a good investment ,not only for long term gains but it would help control erosion and alliate some of the associated problems with flash flooding and quick run-off of rain from the hills. The returns on the teak would ofset the higher costs of harvesting on land that is not flat.

Also from my research the reason Vanilla is not more widley grown is the labour intensity costs of hand pollination. It is a crop i am certainly interested in.

It says Jacaranda....if it is the same as the Oz Jacaranda....can buy here in Bangkok....I have 3

I have seen Jacarandas in Thailand but i have never seen them flower or drop their leaves like they do in Oz . Maybe i have never been in the right spot at the right time !!

It says Jacaranda....if it is the same as the Oz Jacaranda....can buy here in Bangkok....I have 3

I have seen Jacarandas in Thailand but i have never seen them flower or drop their leaves like they do in Oz . Maybe i have never been in the right spot at the right time !!

My Oz ones just flowered for the first time....still only small trees as slow growing....

I think we also have the Thai version as it has the purple flowers, similar shape but larger.....but much larger leaves and they are flowering now.