Thai Driving In Uk

Many thanks for all the replies.

I had already checked on the DVLA website that is ok to drive up to 12 months in UK with a Thai licence with regards to my own personal car in UK.

However, I noticed that when we booked a rental car from the airport that they required a translation or IDP for anyone holding a licence written using a different alphabet (if that is the correct way of putting it) eg in Thai language.

I have a UK driving licence and GF won't be driving the rental so its not an issue in itself, but it made me wonder what would be the reaction of the police in the event of an accident, theft etc if GF could only produce a licence completely in Thai language.

We are trying to get her an IDP here but we dont live near Bangkok and time is a bit of an issue now.

I don't suppose it is possible to get an IDP for her in UK, is it??

Many thanks for all the replies.

I had already checked on the DVLA website that is ok to drive up to 12 months in UK with a Thai licence with regards to my own personal car in UK.

However, I noticed that when we booked a rental car from the airport that they required a translation or IDP for anyone holding a licence written using a different alphabet (if that is the correct way of putting it) eg in Thai language.

I have a UK driving licence and GF won't be driving the rental so its not an issue in itself, but it made me wonder what would be the reaction of the police in the event of an accident, theft etc if GF could only produce a licence completely in Thai language.

We are trying to get her an IDP here but we dont live near Bangkok and time is a bit of an issue now.

I don't suppose it is possible to get an IDP for her in UK, is it??

If she has the new credit card type Thai license with her picture on it, it has English on it already, the old Thai licenses were in Thai and you can get a IDP from Bangkok for one of them not in the UK.

It's just a case of old or new.

Edited by Kwasaki

Basically the same both drive on the left should be ok when somebody is pulling out from a side road in front of you just flash your lights that your coming through whatever and it will be fine no problem.

Your joking right, it means exactly the opposite its a polite gesture to let them come out. Totally the opposite to here.

At last, just seeing how many heads it went overtongue.png .

GF got her IDP today, very easy. Well, apart from the photo that is, which needed to include just below the shoulder rather than a standard passport style photo. As she said, "Why they need to see my nom?" :)

Documents required were copy of Tabian Baan, Passport and Driving Licence. Issued on the same day.

Now I need to find a way to tell her my insurance company (eSure) has refused to add her to my policy!

They would insure her if she had been in UK for 3 years or more.

However, Aviva looks promising so maybe I will cancel my current policy and take out a new one with them but I will wait until I am in UK to sort it out.

GF got her IDP today, very easy. Well, apart from the photo that is, which needed to include just below the shoulder rather than a standard passport style photo. As she said, "Why they need to see my nom?" smile.png

Documents required were copy of Tabian Baan, Passport and Driving Licence. Issued on the same day.

Now I need to find a way to tell her my insurance company (eSure) has refused to add her to my policy!

However, Aviva looks promising so maybe I will cancel my current policy and take out a new one with them but I will wait until I am in UK to sort it out.

So why did you get an IDP for her, since a Thai DL is all that is legally required?

GF got her IDP today, very easy. Well, apart from the photo that is, which needed to include just below the shoulder rather than a standard passport style photo. As she said, "Why they need to see my nom?" smile.png

So why did you get an IDP for her, since a Thai DL is all that is legally required?

2 reasons really: 1. Her licence is all in Thai 2. As it was so easy, why not? It can only help in any given situation.

2 reasons really: 1. Her licence is all in Thai 2. As it was so easy, why not? It can only help in any given situation.

Ok, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend often drives over here in UK .Car used is part of a fleet insured all drivers over 25, and she has been confirmed as a driver with my insurance agent.She brings a IDP just in case. She is a very good driver in Thailand having done more than 200000km in 5 years in our pickup with no claims.She also used to drive her fathers 10 wheeler trucks with hydraulic trailers carrying crushed stone into Bangkok daily from U Thong when he was short of drivers.

She found our motorways easy and soon got to grips with roundabouts though she is still wary for a while each time she comes over here.