Scooters = Flat Tire, Again And Again

poanoi

I'm having one of those moments when i get at least a puncture per month on these small suckers.

So i want to know any guaranteed method of stopping it from happening.

At first i asked the shop if they got strong tires like big bikes has, (strong walls) so it won't make much of a difference, but there is no such tires for scooters.

So now i'm thinking about filling the tires with small rubber pellets so it simply won't go flat even if no air.

Does said tires exist ?

and where do i get them ?

ive done roughly 37,000km on two yamaha elegance and fino scooters in the last year and a half

i have driven on gravel ,construction sites ,laneways ,beaches etc and hit huge potholes at speed high enough to flatten the alloy wheel in one corner

i have yet to have a flat ,i honestly dont understand what your doing wrong ,at a guess id say it must be a spoke puncturing from the inside because im using stock tyres on my elegance (cheap hard ircs ) and still cant puncture them

All you have to do is change the rear tire for a bigger tire and inner tube!! I had the same problem with my Suzuki Skydrive, many flat tires, I changed the rear to a 90x90x14 with a 2.5 inner tube never had a flat tire since!!

It's to be hoped that those fixing your inner tube checked the wheel to see about protruding spokes. I've seen some line the inside of the wheel with an outside slice of inner tube to protect the 'real' one, but cannot recommend it but wonder at the balance thereafter.

An expensive improvement is to replace your wheel with an alloy one and buy tubeless. Or buy an Elegance, new or recent, with alloys because they come with tubeless tyres.

Some recommend being very alert for glass etc. in the motorbike lanes, as that's where glass may be swept after accidents.

I have several Motorbikes and I am having a run of bad luck on my Honda wave. About 4 flats over the last 5 months. But that is over 9000 km But still more than I like. Each time I see the nail or thing so I know it is not a spoke. I always replace the tube, even carry 2 new high quality ones with me under the seat. (1 front 1 rear) Patches I have learned just don't last long, hours in some cases. And there are higher quality tires like the Dunlop TT900 I use on my bike. 3 times the cost but worth it.

• Like 1

As a second note, not all alloy wheels are tubless. My Yamaha Mio had tubes and a few years back I drove an Airblade Chiang Mai to Pattaya. It had Solid Alloy wheels as they say and got 4 flats within the first 300 km. Got so tired of it pulled into a honda shop, got a new front and rear tire and never had a problem again.

When you are talking about flat tires, are you talking punctures or just a flat tire for no apparent reason? Punctures I can understand but my wife's tubed type tires go flat from no apparent reason. Recently she has had a new front and rear tire put on. They are better than the old ones but still go flat all too often.

On the other hand, my Elegance with tubeless tires has never had a flat.

When you are talking about flat tires, are you talking punctures or just a flat tire for no apparent reason? Punctures I can understand but my wife's tubed type tires go flat from no apparent reason. Recently she has had a new front and rear tire put on. They are better than the old ones but still go flat all too often.

On the other hand, my Elegance with tubeless tires has never had a flat.

I used to have an Elegance with spoked wheels and i used to get a flat every few months. Now i have an Elegance with alloy wheels and i never get a flat. That's the answer.

I used to have an Elegance with spoked wheels and i used to get a flat every few months. Now i have an Elegance with alloy wheels and i never get a flat. That's the answer.

~ Chris'04

And a very elegant answer it was.

Just saw this thread while waiting for my rear tyre getting fixed. Not yet sure what the problem was as I'm having a coffee around the corner while waiting.

Had a flat just a couple of weeks ago, the valve was half ripped out of the inner tube.

Suzuki hyate with alloy wheels and not much used.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Had a flat just a couple of weeks ago, the valve was half ripped out of the inner tube.

Old inner tube, the rubber gets brittle after a year or two (could have been on the shelf a while before you purchased it) then the valve rips out. One of the reasons you should always replace tube when you fit a new tyre.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Had same problem here - probably close to once a month, same as you. Sometimes having sudden deflation, very scary in a couple cases.

Last time I needed to change out the tires, I asked if they had a "good name" tire. I noted that I always just bought whatever the shop decided to install. So I started asking the shop owner for brand-names to see what he might recognise, "Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone?" I said. Came back with a set of Michelin tires and thicker tubes installed. Been about 3 months, no flats. Not sure if it is due to the tires or luck, but so far, so good.

When i purchased my Hyate got them regularly, i changed the wheels, got wider michelin, touch wood no punctures since, but the loss of pressure still happens. i changed for new IRC last week, put 38lbs in as i over inflate, in a week down to 19lbs, same as old tube. Dont like the PCX, after reading here new Yamaha with tubless is on its way. i travel to far late at night to risk it on the darkside. would be interested where the air goes, must be valves, not sure what else without a complete flat.

Apparantly the Hyate alloy is not tubelss or that would be simple answer, but so difficult to get info from so called sales people here.

When i purchased my Hyate got them regularly, i changed the wheels, got wider michelin, touch wood no punctures since, but the loss of pressure still happens. i changed for new IRC last week, put 38lbs in as i over inflate, in a week down to 19lbs, same as old tube. Dont like the PCX, after reading here new Yamaha with tubless is on its way. i travel to far late at night to risk it on the darkside. would be interested where the air goes, must be valves, not sure what else without a complete flat.

Apparantly the Hyate alloy is not tubelss or that would be simple answer, but so difficult to get info from so called sales people here.

My wife's Hiyate has tubeless rims, and never gets a flat since we switched.

Don't think it has something to do with tubeless or not, mag wheels or not. Mostly its bad quality and/or crappy repairs and/or bad assembling imo.

I once saw Somchai out in Isaan village repairing a flat on a front wheel. The rim band (rubber band to protect the tube from the spokes) was torn. He used a paper staple for joining the two ends of the rim band together. And he smiled at me. And i was happy to be able to get on my way again wai.gif

fino here had a flat every week, I was at my wits end until.. I took the tyre off and found loose spokes. if they are loose the will pushinto the tube as the wheel goes round, compound that with a fat farang, not me of course, and that was the prob. replaced and reset the spokes.. no flat in 4 months.. worth a try :)

I've just spent quite some time looking for tyres that will fit the Hayate, so I know why you changed the rims, and from what I've read the alloys come with tubes, but can take tubeless.

I finally found a set of Pirellis that will fit (although they're much narrower than the standard IRC's) that get some great reviews, but was pretty close to ditching the bike altogether and buying one with rims that accept more decent tyres! It didn't help that, at the same time, I also had a Xena disc alarm and cable & adapter sent from Bangkok - that didn't fit the disc with the cable adapter attached!

Can I ask where you got the rims changed, and how much it set you back?

I've just spent quite some time looking for tyres that will fit the Hayate, so I know why you changed the rims, and from what I've read the alloys come with tubes, but can take tubeless.

I finally found a set of Pirellis that will fit (although they're much narrower than the standard IRC's) that get some great reviews, but was pretty close to ditching the bike altogether and buying one with rims that accept more decent tyres! It didn't help that, at the same time, I also had a Xena disc alarm and cable & adapter sent from Bangkok - that didn't fit the disc with the cable adapter attached!

Can I ask where you got the rims changed, and how much it set you back?

13.028307,101.104088 google maps

A large town called Bowin in the area around a lot of the industrial estates. Inland from Pattaya but not to far from where i live, a very large Thai population working in the factories so lots of bike accesories at a good price. 3000 baht including the tyres, Michelin. There is not much room for bigger rims on the Hayate, i only started looking after i had that done. Still the tubes continue to loose air every week, but no punctures touch wood in 3 months. Before I got them regularly. Going to have to be a tubeless bike soon!, got a rather large burn on my hand from yet again putting air in rear tyre.

My wife's Hiyate has tubeless rims, and never gets a flat since we switched.

Did you just get them from dealer or one of the shops selling the rims. i have been to lots of shops selling the rims, all say they will not fit the hiyate. I would dearly love to get a set. When I go to the accesories shops they really almost dont aknowledge a customer with a Suzuki. I am sure and you have confirmed it can be done. Hopefully it was Pattaya area, if so where.

thanks

Keeping the pressure up helps stop a lot of problems. I think the tube and tyre can move around at low pressure which leads to tube rubbing and pincing. When I used to run 25-26, and I forgot to check, and the tyres when down to 15 or so I had problems. Now I run em at 36-38....no problems!

Keeping the pressure up helps stop a lot of problems. I think the tube and tyre can move around at low pressure which leads to tube rubbing and pincing. When I used to run 25-26, and I forgot to check, and the tyres when down to 15 or so I had problems. Now I run em at 36-38....no problems!

Keeping the pressure up IS the problem for most people in this thread wink.png

Of course you are right, best is to keep the recommended pressure.

You know, there are many of us who criticize Thai workers for greatly overinflating tyres.

My guess is that they know perfectly well that the pressure within will plummit through the manufacturer's recommended level within a few days. They're preventing - at least for a few days - us dumb falang from speeding around with low pressured tyres and risking blowouts (as with innertubes). It's probably obvious that we need help, just by looking at us.

Edited by CMX

Spokes can be a problem but not always. My wife's Suzuki has alloy wheels with tubes. She often has flats. A torn valve stem is the result of low air pressure and the tire slipping on the rim.

I could be wrong .....but I am sure these small bikes have a maximum load weight that is supposed be on the seat. i.e. I weigh 90 kgs and the GF is 40. So 130 kgs total on a small scooter that has a 110 cc Engine draggin my ass around town.

I have alloy wheels and the pressure drops out constatnly and I bought a stirrup pump and a good quality pressure guage to get the tyres hard again.

Punctures are about luck . When I bought my mountain bike I had 4 punctures in as many weeks and there is no dignity in travelling back home in a Baht Bus you have to charter for 200 baht at at time. Though in other countries you would never have an option like that..... ???

I could be wrong .....but I am sure these small bikes have a maximum load weight that is supposed be on the seat. i.e. I weigh 90 kgs and the GF is 40. So 130 kgs total on a small scooter that has a 110 cc Engine draggin my ass around town.

I have alloy wheels and the pressure drops out constatnly and I bought a stirrup pump and a good quality pressure guage to get the tyres hard again.

Punctures are about luck . When I bought my mountain bike I had 4 punctures in as many weeks and there is no dignity in travelling back home in a Baht Bus you have to charter for 200 baht at at time. Though in other countries you would never have an option like that..... ???

These bikes are not designed for us bigger people, if you change the rear tire to a bigger size it will solve the problem, I used to get flat tires regularly on my Skydrive, not punctures but the inner-tube just falling apart, the bigger tyre copes with the heat better and bigger weights, my Skydrive standard tyre was 80x90x14 I changed to the bigger tire of 90x90x14 plus obviously a bigger inner tube I think 2.5 months have gone by and not one flat tire.