Cycling In Pattaya

sharky1

For the last year, I've been seen riding around town on a cheap looking gearless 800 baht bike I bought at Big C. I absolutely love it. I'm noticing many others riding too. The Sawasdee hotel chain offers them to their staff.

-I feel very safe as people give me a wide berth as you would when someone is in a wheelchair.

-Road laws do not apply (helmets, one way, license, registration, tax, bribes, etc.).

-Nobody wants to steal it.

-Maintenance is never more than a few baht.

-Good exercise.

I know there are more serious cycling groups that go far out of town but this doesn't interest me. I'm just happy getting about this way rather than on my motorbike. Unless I've been to a heavy meal, then I prefer my motorbike.

One possible negative aspect is that on arrival at shops or bars, the staff all think I'm dirt poor. Although nobody ever comes to me for a loan...

I decided to "come out" and post a photo of myself on my bike. Thank you for accepting me.

post-151124-0-74375900-1336375704_thumb.

Anyone know where to buy decent mountain bikes from? I really need to start getting some exersise so maybe cycling 3km each way for my beer each night will help a bit!!!

i bought mine at this shop and i was very happy with the after sales service

LA Bike Shop – Pattaya

300/31-32 Moo 12 Thepparasit Road

T. Nong Prue A. Bang Lamung

Tel. 038-300-606, 038-300-953, 081-915-9909

But here is a list of other shops if you want to loom around

http://bicyclethaila...om/bike-stores/

Edited by Asiantravel

Yep, more and more people on bicycles cruising around town. I have seen plenty of cyclists on Soi Buakaw going on about their business. Some are on clunkers and I have also seen a few nice mountain bikes and I think I saw a folding bike too.

I said this a few years ago that for people living in South Pattaya, a bicycle can be very useful as the area is essentially a big rectangle with streets criss crossing to the major roads. I also believe that over the next years, more and more people will opt for a cycle as a means of transportation for short trips.

If the saddle is comfortable, and the weather is not burning hot, you would be surprised at how far you can get while peddling at a comfortable pace.

Anyone know where to buy decent mountain bikes from? I really need to start getting some exersise so maybe cycling 3km each way for my beer each night will help a bit!!!

LA Bike Shop – Pattaya

By far the best bike shop is :

S.V. Bike Shop, 62/1-3 Thepparasit Road (on corner of Soi 8 and Thepparasit Rd.)

T. Nong Prue A. Banglamung 20150

Tel. 038-300-378, 087-486-1242

Here they offer quality bike from 7900 baht upwards...if you want a great TREK, GIANT or similar bike, with everything on, then look at 16,000 baht.

If you want to use to get fit, then dont buy 'cheap', buy something that can take the work!

The owners sons compete around Asia, so they know what they are doing and don't sell certain rubbish, ie Chinese etc!

race

Edited by Pdavies99

LA Bike Shop – Pattaya

By far the best bike shop is :

S.V. Bike Shop, 62/1-3 Thepparasit Road (on corner of Soi 8 and Thepparasit Rd.)

T. Nong Prue A. Banglamung 20150

Tel. 038-300-378, 087-486-1242

Here they offer quality bike from 7900 baht upwards...if you want a great TREK, GIANT or similar bike, with everything on, then look at 16,000 baht.

If you want to use to get fit, then dont buy 'cheap', buy something that can take the work!

The owners sons compete around Asia, so they know what they are doing and don't sell certain rubbish, ie Chinese etc!

race

GIANT is Chinese and unless you buy a top end bike ( $15,000 US )for the professionals

even a TREK it is likely to have been made in their factory in Chinablink.png