Printed Circuit Board Production

Tywais

This is for the techies out there who like to build their own electronics. I do a lot of electronic design for work and all involve producing a printed circuit board. We have an in-house PCB facility so 99% of the boards are made there. For a long time only single sided boards could be done so I trained my technicians on how to do a double sided board (non-plated through, no silk screen or solder masks - just basic). This saves me an enormous amount of time when I design a PCB. My time is a lot more expensive than the technicians. biggrin.png

However, there are times when I need a professionally done board either due to very high density or needing multiples of the same board or due to some of my designs are requested by other, outside facilities. Normally have been using a place in Bangkok but their prices and turn around time was getting too much. A company I have been doing business purchasing electronic components from for many years also has PCB production and an online quoting system. So, I sent my PCB layout file to them and they did a perfect job at half the price of the previous company. Here is the board(s), I had two made with 8 circuits on each for 16 circuits. I ordered it with all options - double sided PCB, plating through, silk screening and solder mask. If you only need a basic single sided board it can be pretty cheap. Futurlec PCB. I have no affiliation with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

Front and back of PCB.

post-566-0-79664000-1336378941_thumb.jpg

Looks like they did a very good job..

I agree and was quite pleased with it, was equal to the pro facility I used in Bangkok. They even shuffled each circuit section so they could mill/route around for the breakout sections. Just snapped each board out.

I have been looking for PCB fabs here in Thailand that can do modern SMT boards, with fine pitch components and trace-and-space down to .005" or less, but can't seem to find anyone interested in small runs or fast turn. Futurlec can't do any smaller than .010 trace/space, and 0.040 vias, mainly suited for through-hole technology.

I currently send my stuff for protos to Sunstone Circuits, in the US (Oregon). They are fairly quick, and can do thoroughly modern designs properly.

On a related note, I spent time looking for a reasonable assembly house for the same level of technology, and had a very difficult time finding anyone who had a clue. Most houses, again, are just breaking into SMT, and think it's very exotic. One fairly famous company wanted a separate pad on every node for ICT, or they wouldn't guarantee their work. The design was WAY too dense to even consider that. Then, when we toured the factory, we saw the type of PCBs they were making: mostly single-sided, air conditioner or other commercial low-density junk.

A few Japanese companies have plants that can do the work, but they are looking for high volume.

Thailand is not the HUB of PCB fab/assembly...

Haven't found anyone in Thailand yet, and single side stuff I can do myself down to 8mil pitch, but would like to find one locally as well.

Actually Futurlec is branched in Bangkok so the shipping costs are quite cheap and turn around times reasonable.

I have looked at their website before, but could never find anything about local shipping cost or even the option to just plain walk-in and order.

http://www.futurlec.com/Delivery.shtml

But if they will send within Bangkok for prices lower than 'other countries' I'm game.

Yes, for the PCB they don't seem to show a shipping price. They do when you put together a parts order as I've ordered from them many dozens of times. In the case of these PCBs, the shipping was $3.00 USD and sent EMS to Chiang Mai which actually surprised me. smile.png