Gun Shot

Smokemachine

I heard there are some requirement for foreigner to own a pistol. If let say my Thai wife instead bought a gun and something happen at my residency (robbery,housebreaking) I am the one who shot down the bad guy with the gun registered under my wife name. Will I instead offend any Thai laws? Or is there any special case scenario getting me acquitted? Under what circumstances can I use that gun? Not sure about the regulations. Pls advise. Thanks

What do you want to own a gun for?! rolleyes.gif

Don't you think life would be easier if you had no gun, therefore no Thai laws to offend, no special case scenarios and no drama?

If you're planning on using the gun to protect your property from a break in, do you have no conscience that you could shoot someone just because of them trying to steal your material possessions? ermm.gif

It might be a bit more serious than just trying to steal your posessions. If an intruder comes in high on yaba and armed with a machete, I'm not sure reasoning with him is going to work.

• Like 1

Please, Please, Please ... before you go and jump in on this ... read the 11 pages of argument on this thread ... self-defense-within-your-home

I refrained from commenting in the above mentioned thread however ... if owning a gun is an answer, then it was a very silly question.

Don't you think life would be easier if you had no gun, therefore no Thai laws to offend, no special case scenarios and no drama?

If you're planning on using the gun to protect your property from a break in, do you have no conscience that you could shoot someone just because of them trying to steal your material possessions? ermm.gif

Pls check it out how many cases of people killing others reported in LOS? You may find in the YouTube as well. Talking about conscience. In my position,I just hope I won't be helpless in my own home sweet home when one day shit comes? Will the shit talk about conscience to you? I saw a case in youtube. A gold shop robbery. They could just took all the stuff but they silence all the people as well.

Anyway thanks for your comments. Life is definitely relaxing if there is no such shit going on.

Teach your wife to use the gun, she as the owner (and a Thai) can use it in self defence without to much hassle from the authorities. I wouldn't get involved with using a gun in Thailand.

• Like 1

I don't know where you heard that there is some requirement for foreigner to own a pistol. That's not correct.

Or, are you are trying to say something completely different?

I think the OP means that unlike Thai's, he can't just pop down to 7-11 and buy a shooter.

Interesting enough, many foreign diplomatic missions forbid staff from having firearms. In some cases, sidearms are allowed, but often they are carried by trained professionals and an appropriate permit and clearance is obtained from the Thai government. If the Ambassadors of Denmark, Canada, Netherlands, Australia etc. do not have firearms, I think we can get some guidance from that. Foreigners should leave firearms to the trained professionals.

If you have a Thai cop in the family it is easy for your mrs to hold a firearm via him. Not own it for 5 years but is legal. I cannot quote here your scenario but it is really easy to work out if you have a lowlife problem.

Even his wife needs a permit, don't know if home protection is a reason for it to be granted. Otherwise every Thai who lives in a house would be legally armed. Jim

Not sure about that. Guns are rather expensive in Thailand.

If you have a Thai cop in the family it is easy for your mrs to hold a firearm via him. Not own it for 5 years but is legal. I cannot quote here your scenario but it is really easy to work out if you have a lowlife problem.

the police rubber stamp gun application forms ,im sure if theres enough money involved, a farang can have a gun permit

the police rubber stamp gun application forms ,im sure if theres enough money involved, a farang can have a gun permit

Don't think it's the police who issue the permits, FIL s is issed by the district Govenor.

The permit is issued to the BiB man BUT quotes that it is held by his ''friend'' for the five years, THEN she can be licensed for it.

Even his wife needs a permit, don't know if home protection is a reason for it to be granted. Otherwise every Thai who lives in a house would be legally armed. Jim

Only legal ones.

Early last June I went into town as I was due to head back to the UK for a while and wanted to see a few friends and have dinner. Went to see a tattoo guy I have known for a long time, 10-11 years I guess. He grabbed a couple of Changs out of and ice bucket and we started to chew the fat as it were. After a couple of minutes he pulls out a chrome pistol from under his work station and starts to take it to pieces. Nice gun I said trying not to look shocked. Thanks he replied, got it yesterday and never been cleaned by the look of it. How much I asked... 1000 Baht with a quarter box of ammo.

Don't know what make the gun was but it wasn't a revolver and looked something like a colt 45.

Only legal ones.

Early last June I went into town as I was due to head back to the UK for a while and wanted to see a few friends and have dinner. Went to see a tattoo guy I have known for a long time, 10-11 years I guess. He grabbed a couple of Changs out of and ice bucket and we started to chew the fat as it were. After a couple of minutes he pulls out a chrome pistol from under his work station and starts to take it to pieces. Nice gun I said trying not to look shocked. Thanks he replied, got it yesterday and never been cleaned by the look of it. How much I asked... 1000 Baht with a quarter box of ammo.

Don't know what make the gun was but it wasn't a revolver and looked something like a colt 45.

Yes lot of cheap illegal guns, year or so ago some distant cousin of the wife showed trying to sell a 11 mil chinese semi auto for 5000 Baht. Seems there are a lot in Cambodia. Jim

Only legal ones.

That is cheap for a semi-auto.''that works'' laugh.png (nickle plate/stainless).

Edited by transam

Only legal ones.

Yes lot of cheap illegal guns, year or so ago some distant cousin of the wife showed trying to sell a 11 mil chinese semi auto for 5000 Baht. Seems there are a lot in Cambodia. Jim

Going rate for an AK47 with a half dozen clips is 5K here, cheaper in BKK I imagine.

Only legal ones.

That is cheap for a semi-auto.''that works'' laugh.png (nickle plate/stainless).

Silly me, would have been nickle plate. Thinking about your "that works" comment, maybe that is why it was so cheap and maybe that's the reason behind his comment about it not looking like it had never been cleaned. Perhaps the ammo is hard to find so the seller got rid of it before there were none left? What is a quarter box of ammo? 5.... 50?

I'm not going to post details about the finer points of smuggling but it's really easy to smuggle a Chinese made AK piece by piece into Thailand and then reassemble it here. Those parts are easily disguisable as other things and most border officials won't have a working knowledge of those parts. What you do with it and what happens when you get caught with it is another story. I think you'd be in pretty deep poo poo even if you had reasonable cause in defending yourself with something more mundane like a borrowed pistol.

I would not have any problems killing someone who brake in. Alone because I don't know if he just takes my laptop or if he kills my wife and me. And specially with the rising problems of drugs you can't apply common sense.

There is a lot of weapons around, after all Thailand was in the middle of many wars zones, Vietnam, Lao and Cambodia, then northern Burma. It wasn't many years ago that the government still issued weapons to trusted villagers in my area, Plus you can drive into Lao and Cambodia through unpoliced border crossing, where markets are held. It's still a wild place in some parts and when the FIL or the brothers head up into the jungle they are always armed. Far as I am concerned a 9 mil does not beat an AK47 so, no guns for me. Jim

There is a lot of weapons around, after all Thailand was in the middle of many wars zones, Vietnam, Lao and Cambodia, then northern Burma. It wasn't many years ago that the government still issued weapons to trusted villagers in my area, Plus you can drive into Lao and Cambodia through unpoliced border crossing, where markets are held. It's still a wild place in some parts and when the FIL or the brothers head up into the jungle they are always armed. Far as I am concerned a 9 mil does not beat an AK47 so, no guns for me. Jim

I see guns all around me but have not interest in them. I would rather die for not owning one rather then die BECAUSE I did.

• Like 1

Every Thai of sufficient respectability and status - basically property owners and business operators certainly can legally own guns. They just ask something along the lines of "are you currently involved in any major disputes", and as long as the answer is no, you're in like Flynn.

Interesting stats here and here

Of course I'll be contrary here and state that as many humans as possible should be allowed to own firearms, will make the world a better place - environmental misanthrope.

it depends on the situation ,in a narrow hallway or a small landing or any confined space id prefer the pistol

if i was at the top of the stairs looking down of course ,itd be the AK for sure

Pls check it out how many cases of people killing others reported in LOS? You may find in the YouTube as well. Talking about conscience. In my position,I just hope I won't be helpless in my own home sweet home when one day shit comes? Will the shit talk about conscience to you? I saw a case in youtube. A gold shop robbery. They could just took all the stuff but they silence all the people as well.

Anyway thanks for your comments. Life is definitely relaxing if there is no such shit going on.

Do you live in a gold shop?

Foreigners should leave firearms to the trained professionals.

IMHO everyone "should leave firearms to the trained professionals". Civvies with guns is a recipe for disaster, repeated time after time.

• Like 2