Uk Settlement Visa Application Waiting Times, Bangkok

Submitted 29th may and visa granted today 6th aug. thank you to everyone who has been apart of the forum. Wish you all the best of luck for the future.

Hi there, u applied for settlement visa 27 months or ?Indefinite Leave to Enter visa the same as me ( just for who have been married and leave out side of uk over 4 yrs) I'm after u two weeks ( 11th of Jun) so just double check:-), not sure if my kind visa will take longer than 27 months visa????Congrats to u and best wishes:-)

Edited by 7by7
Preceding post was quote only; quote moved to this post and preceding one removed.

Under the old rules (pre 9th July) you didn't apply for ILE, you applied for settlement as a spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner, as appropriate.

Unless there is some reason for a delay, such as the need to make further enquiries, all settlement visas submitted around the same time should take roughly the same amount of time to be processed; regardless of the category applied under.

• Like 1

Hi 7by7,

thanks for the info. My situation is: been married over 4 yrs and living with my husband out side of uk since then and I passed uk life test which I did it in Apr so I did ask the ambassy people and they said I can apply for ILE so that was why I did ( under old rules btw, before 9th of July). This week is week 9th so hopefully I can get it around nxt two weeks and I applied in Hanoi VN btw.

Ill Keep update info. Cheers

Edited by Amoudi

A mix up in terminology, probably. Nothing to worry about.

You applied for settlement as a spouse; if you meet the requirements for ILE then this is what will be granted, if you don't then you'll be granted a standard 27 month spouse visa.

BTW, we've had another member apply in Hanoi earlier and her passport took about 6 days longer to be returned to her as it went via the Hanoi embassy.

To 7by7

We applied for the settlement visa.

My wife was already living in the UK and only returned to Thailand to take the english test and to apply for a new visa.

She had been living in the UK so my wife was advised by VFS that she would only need to take the TB test/medical if she remained in Thailand for longer than 6 months.

Hello I found out that my wife's application has been dealt with in the Isle of Man has anybody got any idea what happens to it now.

Thanks

Hardgrafter187

Hi hardgrafter, been following your updates on here as I was after you and I feel for your long wait. As you proble know my wife was granted her visa today. I know it's not what you want to hear but when your granted that visa it will be such a weight lifted. I really ope you hear soon. I would of thought they would of explained about where your visa application will be going ect and what happens next. Good look and I will be still looking out for that update of visa granted. All the best j

Ralph, was your application just a normal submission or did you ask them to hurry it along a little?

Edit: I have just looked over your some of your posts,it was just visas for the children right? Your wife has already got hers sorted?

Just looking for that glimmer of hope that its not going to be a 2/3mth wait :)

Edited by Kiggs

Kiggs. We made strong applications on the grounds of special circumstances, compassionate & compelling grounds.

With no one in Thailand able to look after the children we considered this to be the correct way to proceed.

This was always going to be a difficult because of the six year separation.

I gave all onshore / offshore bank statements, along with extensive property holdings in the UK, and abroad furnishing the Embassy with twelve property freehold land registry certified copy deeds, Sworn statements from my Accountants, and Solicitors.

• Like 1

To 7by7

We applied for the settlement visa.

My wife was already living in the UK and only returned to Thailand to take the english test and to apply for a new visa.

She had been living in the UK so my wife was advised by VFS that she would only need to take the TB test/medical if she remained in Thailand for longer than 6 months.

Did she apply using form VAF4A (settlement) or VAF4B (returning resident)?

Returning residents do not need a TB certificate, but one of the requirements for this is that the applicant must have had settled status in the UK, i.e. ILR or the equivalent. Your wife didn't.

See also Para 18 of the immigration rules.

I may be wrong, as this is not a situation I have come across before, but I fear that you may have been misinformed by the VAC staff; which would explain why the embassy says she needs a medical. Hopefully you weren't.

You said here on 5th August

...........my wife was called by the British Embassy in BKK on Tuesday, they told her that she could collect her passport but she would need to pass a medical as she has been living in Thailand for 6 months. We are still not clear if she got the ILR visa or if she needs to do the medical before they will issue it..........
It's been a week; has she collected her passport? Did she get her visa subject to a successful medical or was she refused?

She would not have been given ILE* (not ILR*) as she has not satisfied the knowledge of life and language in the UK requirement. Any visa she does get would probably be a 27 month spouse visa.

*Pedantry moment:

ILE; Indefinite Leave to Enter, issued outside the UK.

ILR; Indefinite Leave to Remain, issued inside the UK.

Hello I found out that my wife's application has been dealt with in the Isle of Man has anybody got any idea what happens to it now.

Thanks

Hardgrafter187

It will be sent back to Bangkok for her to collect.

We applied for the settlement visa VAF4A on 28th May 2012 and received a 2 year visa from VFS today.

Now my wife will need to pass a TB test before she can return to the UK.

So it seems that the VAC staff were wrong, probably because they thought she was a returning resident when in fact she wasn't.

However, it seems the ECO has made allowance for her being misinformed and issued a spouse visa anyway, conditional on her getting a TB certificate.

Well done that ECO!

Remember that it is vital that she does the necessary to obtain ILR this time; you don't want to be in this situation again. As you have probably read, settlement visas, FLR and ILR are now a lot harder to get; especially the financial rules for them.

Remember, too, that as she will now be applying for ILR after October 2013 that an ESOL with citizenship course is not an option. She will need to have passed the LitUK test and obtained B1 of the CEFR in speaking and listening.

Just to let you guys know . I applied for settlement visa for Thai wife and our two girls , aged 5 and 7 , on 7th of June . Message this morning to pick documents up in 2 working days so I will give it a go on Friday . Our status is I have known my wife for about 9 years , married in Thailand nearly 7 years ago , all current and existing passports / ID etc have my surname , so probably no disputing the length of time we have known each other . I have been away from the UK for the last 10 years working outside the country though am born and bred UK . Not worked for a couple of years now , having long holiday in Thailand , so can show no income on last 6 months bank statements . Though current account balance approx. 30 grand and I have shown other substantial investments which can be immediately turned to cash if required . We had our first family trip to the UK a couple of years ago on visit visas which we aquired in Qatar , as we were there at the time . We will intitially be staying at my parents while the Kids get settled in school and then look for somewhere to rent . Buying property may have to wait a year until we decide where we want to live Have applied for settlement visas which I am hoping that my wife will get and ILR stamp , as we must have been together long enough also because we have a large property in Thailand which is in my wifes name and she would have to come back to sort it out if we decide to sell . Although she hasn't taken a life in the UK test ? She recently passed the speaking and listening test with high marks . Enough to get the Cambridge cert . anyway . I am hopeful of success on Friday and will let you all know the outcome . Good luck with your applications .

From what you have said your wife should get Indefinite Leave to Enter, subject to KOL.

This means that once in the UK and she has satisfied KOL, either by passing the LitUK test or improving one level on an ESOL with citizenship course, she can immediately apply for ILR without having to be resident for 24 months. Note, though, that if she applies for ILR from October 2013 an ESOL course will no longer be acceptable; she will need to pass the LitUK test and score at least B1 in speaking and listening.

Children's visas are usually tied to their parents, so I think that they will need to be included in their mother's ILR application when she makes it. However, children under 18 are not subject to KOL, so they may have been given full ILE. Check what the endorsement on their visas say, and ask here if in doubt.

Pedantry corner:

ILR is Indefinite Leave to Remain. You cannot be granted leave to remain in the UK if you are not in the UK.

ILE is Indefinite Leave to Enter, which to all intents and purposes is the same as ILR except that it is granted outside the UK.

Things are moving. Submitted Visa on 19th June. Logged on to VFS today to see this message.

Your application is ready for collection; please visit the UK Visa Application Centre where you submitted your visa application to collect the same : 09 Aug 2012

I make that 7 weeks 2 days or 36 working days.

Fingers crossed wont know until undo envelope on the 13th when me and wife get to Bangkok from Phuket..

Thanks all I'll keep you posted !!

Edited by tomcreeduk

Got a text message this morning saying documents could be picked up . So just now arrived back from Bangkok with them .We applied for 3 settlement visas for the wife and our two children . We have the 3 visas though not sure what it entitles them to . My wife actually because she got a Spouse visa valid for 27 months from 2/8/12 to 2/11/14 . Number of entries is multiple . Does this mean that once we are in the UK she can come back to Thailand and return to the UK without reapplying for visas each time , throughout the duration of the visa . Once we get to the UK I am supposing because we have been married / known each other for 9 years she can apply for ILR . She already passed the language requirement easily in Thailand , though does she have to complete Life in the Uk test ! before she can apply for ILR . Does multiple , indicated on the number of entries mean she has ILE ? I really need to figure all this out because we will plan to go quite soon and if we need to apply for anything in the UK I would prefer to get documents translated and verified before we leave . Thanks .

Freddy, if you have been living together outside the UK for at least 4 years then as I said to you before she should have got ILE subject to KOL.

What does the actual endorsement on her visa say? They may have issued the wrong one; it's happened before in Bangkok!

People living in the UK awaiting ILR may leave and reenter the UK as often and for as long as they wish; provided their visa remains valid. However, when applying for ILR she will need to show she is a UK resident; which may be difficult to do if she has spent more time out of the UK than in.

When/if she applies for British citizenship there is a limit on the amount of time spent out of the UK. As the spouse of a British citizen she must have been physically present in the UK on the exact day three years prior to submitting the citizenship application and during the intervening three years have spent no more than 270 days out of the UK with no more than 90 days in the final year.

When I made the ap;;lications they were for 3 settlement visas . For my wife and two chidren aged 5 and 7 . Married nearly 7 years and together longer . Should the visas have Settlement written on them . My wifes is marked Spouse visa . Both my children are simply VISA TO ACC MOTHER . There is nothing on the whole page to indicate ILE . Have they given us the wrong types ? What can I do .? Don't like the idea of waiting 9 weeks to get the wrong visas and spending 24 hundred quid to do it ?

If she has been given ILE subject to KOL then the endorsement should read "SETTLEMENT SPOUSE/CP (KOL REQ) and have a validity of 27 months.

If she has been given a standard spouse visa then the endorsement should read "SPOUSE/CP" and also be valid for 27 months.

See page 2 of this document.

If you think she has been given the wrong visa then you should either contact the embassy immediately to query this and hopefully change it, or if short of time you could wait until you are in the UK and then contact the UKBA to sort it out. You could just leave it; the visa she has is valid. But with ILE subject to KOL she can apply for ILR immediately she has satisfied KOL whereas with a spouse visa she will have to wait until she has been living in the UK for at least 24 months before she can do so. Might not seem that important, but ILR fees go up each April!

jessicanguyenself said here

British embassy in bkk granted me a usual spouse visa not the settlement subject to KOL , we managed to sort them out ok though
If you PM him he may be able advise.

The childrens' endorsements are correct, as the term is tied to their mother's, which will be 27 months whichever visa she has. They apply for ILR at the same time, and on the same form, as their mother.

I just got the email to say they have made a decision on our application and our documents can be collected in two working days.

We applied 25th June, Happy Days, providing we get what we want.

fingers crossed for you Jared :)

My wife also got an email stating the same :)...we applied on 27th June. So things are starting to move now :) .....fingers and toes crossed we get a good result too. I'll keep you all posted.