Education In Thailand Getting Too Expensive, Parents Say

webfact

I am sponsoring 3 children so that they may attend a Mahatthai school in Kumpawabi. I was not aware of any government subsidy for school uniforms / supplies etc. How does one go about applying for these benifits?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people really expect raising children to be cheap?

I never expected raising children to be cheap, in England it wasn't, but in Thailand I find it is.

Finding a woman to produce the children with me was also amazingly cheap, Amazing Thailand.

I will resist commenting on your second point but would like to understand why you think raising children in Thailand is cheaper than in the UK... while I agree that many of implicit costs associating with having a family (most notably property) are lower in Thailand, the explicit costs of children (most notably education) are pretty much the same anywhere in the world... if I compare the better known Bangkok schools with their equivalents in the UK (equivalence based on the standard of universities attended by their students), the Bangkok schools are actually slightly more expensive... is there something I am missing?

I can only assume you've never been to the UK...

I can only think of only a few things that cost more in Thailand, and most of those are where they're essentially for sale to expats/tourists only...

1. Decent internet access.

2. imported motor cars

3. Mobile phones (but that's only because in the UK they're usually thrown in with a 2 year contract).

4. foodstuffs imported from the UK/Europe. (The stuff imported from the US is often cheaper here than in the UK).

5. Books (in the English language).

6. Farang sizes for jeans. (I can buy jeans in my size cheaper in the UK - I struggle to find them in my size here outside of Robinsons...).

I'm probably excluding something, but generally everything else is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive in the UK. That's partly because of higher fuel costs (so delivery costs more), higher wage costs (the minimum wage is approx. 300 baht per hour in the UK and they're trying to get it to be 300 baht per DAY here), higher taxes (VAT is 20% there compared to 7% here). Add in the effect of all those additional costs on the input side, and retail prices are significantly higher in the UK.

i.e. a 1.25 litre bottle of Coke Zero (when you can find it - the distribution here still seems to be a bit screwed up from last years flooding) is around 24 baht (or 48 pence). - You can't buy a can in the UK for that. The normal price seems to be about £1.99 (approx 200 baht) for 2 litre bottle - with relatively frequent buy 1 get 1 free offers, but even with the offers, it's still more than double the price in Thailand.

As for the cost of children's clothes. Even Primark (a discount retailer in the UK) would be expensive by Thai standards.

I will admit - if you are in a postcode in the UK with decent state schools, your kids would be better off in the UK than here. But with the added taxes and higher cost of living in the UK, it will hit your pocket almost as hard as paying for International School in Thailand.

Where it gets more interesting is as your children get older. i.e. To be eligible for student loans, you have to reside in the EU for 3 years prior to going to University. But that entitles you to loans (that don't need to be paid back until the child is earning a decent wage) to cover the fees and living expenses at University. i.e. The parent doesn't have to bankrupt themselves to send their children to a good University.

I completely agree with you that life in general is very cheap in Thailand

I was talking mostly about schools, which at 500k baht/kid/year are the same in both countries

Other child related costs that are the same (or higher) here are: healthcare, holidays, baby milk, baby food, push-chairs, car seats, extra-curricular lessons (e.g dance/tennis/piano), toys, etc

Having just read the entire thread, I am left feeling that when it comes to spending money on their kids, there are some people here that would make scrooge look like Father Christmas. It is not so much the physical amount spent, as maybe some people don't have the money, but it is the attitude. I bet with the same people there is no skimping on the quality of beer, cigs and whiskey purchased in the bars every night though.

If parent want to give "the best" (prestigious schools, expensive tuitions, branded uniforms, latest gadgets, etc) for their children; for heaven's sake stop complaining. The truth remains ... they asked for it.

• Like 1

I am sponsoring 3 children so that they may attend a Mahatthai school in Kumpawabi. I was not aware of any government subsidy for school uniforms / supplies etc. How does one go about applying for these benifits?

"The government's subsidy for uniforms is Bt300 for pre-school level, Bt360 for primary, Bt450 for lower secondary and Bt500 for upper secondary levels, while school supplies are subsidised at a rate of Bt200 for pre-school level, Bt390 for primary, Bt420 lower secondary and Bt460 for upper secondary."

You don't have to ask for it. It is automatic. At the beginning of each year, during matriculation ("mop tua"), the parents will be given the money in "cash", and the parent/guardian will have to "sign" that they have receive it. Each student will need to provide a receipt back to the teacher with in limited period (usually around 2 weeks).

Many people complain that 500 Baht is not enough to buy, typically 3 sets of uniform (including scout, PE, a dozen socks) plus school. True. More like 1,000 Baht is needed if you shop at Tesco/BigC (not Siam square). But the uniform seems to last 2 to 3 years, and you get the money every year (eg. 2x500 to 3x500 Baht). So in my case, during the 2nd year, my child still can fit his old cloths, belt PE, scout uni, etc. All I need is a pair of new shoe and some socks. Shoe is 79 Baht each at Tesco right now, and sock is around 69 for half a dozen. I end up buying a lot of stuff that I don't need for the whole family just to be able to produce a receipt of at least 500 Baht. This includes student shoes for the whole family (since is is so cheap), and some spare student shirts (59 Baht each) to be used as pajamas.

For the school supplies money (unlike uniform money, this is given out each term), our kids already have everything from last term, so we waste it on scientific calculator (about 200 Baht) which Thai kids are not allowed to touch in school, and tons of pen (5 pen for 4 Bahts, yes you hear it right, less than 1 Baht per biro at Tesco right now), just to get the receipt to return to the school.

My boys in govt school, and my girl in a christian private school. Both got them (uniform money and supplies money), plus free books (even in private school)

The fee in govt school is 100% free, and I have to pay some in the private school (less than 10,000 Baht/year).

I heard that international school kids get nothing.

Edited by sparebox2

As if this is "breaking news" to the editors of The Nation. As if this is the first time and surprising that parents are complaining. What rock have the editors at The Nation been living under?

As if this is "breaking news" to the editors of The Nation. As if this is the first time and surprising that parents are complaining. What rock have the editors at The Nation been living under?

During Mark time, the 500 Baht or so (this amount is set by Mark govt) uniform money is enough to buy the required for kids.

However, prices in Yingluck govt era has go up so much. Some even claim that they are paying 5,000 Baht for uniform with bullshit breakdown cost posted in this forum. I didn't know that inflation gas gone up 1000% in 1 year.

Edited by sparebox2

"The government's subsidy for uniforms is Bt300 for pre-school level, Bt360 for primary, Bt450 for lower secondary and Bt500 for upper secondary levels, while school supplies are subsidised at a rate of Bt200 for pre-school level, Bt390 for primary, Bt420 lower secondary and Bt460 for upper secondary."

You don't have to ask for it. It is automatic. At the beginning of each year, during matriculation ("mop tua"), the parents will be given the money in "cash", and the parent/guardian will have to "sign" that they have receive it. Each student will need to provide a receipt back to the teacher with in limited period (usually around 2 weeks).

Many people complain that 500 Baht is not enough to buy, typically 3 sets of uniform (including scout, PE, a dozen socks) plus school. True. More like 1,000 Baht is needed if you shop at Tesco/BigC (not Siam square). But the uniform seems to last 2 to 3 years, and you get the money every year (eg. 2x500 to 3x500 Baht). So in my case, during the 2nd year, my child still can fit his old cloths, belt PE, scout uni, etc. All I need is a pair of new shoe and some socks. Shoe is 79 Baht each at Tesco right now, and sock is around 69 for half a dozen. I end up buying a lot of stuff that I don't need for the whole family just to be able to produce a receipt of at least 500 Baht. This includes student shoes for the whole family (since is is so cheap), and some spare student shirts (59 Baht each) to be used as pajamas.

For the school supplies money (unlike uniform money, this is given out each term), our kids already have everything from last term, so we waste it on scientific calculator (about 200 Baht) which Thai kids are not allowed to touch in school, and tons of pen (5 pen for 4 Bahts, yes you hear it right, less than 1 Baht per biro at Tesco right now), just to get the receipt to return to the school.

My boys in govt school, and my girl in a christian private school. Both got them (uniform money and supplies money), plus free books (even in private school)

The fee in govt school is 100% free, and I have to pay some in the private school (less than 10,000 Baht/year).

I heard that international school kids get nothing.

Thank you for your reply.

School is not only FREE in Thailand for a FULL 12 YEARS.

Yingluck governmant also provide FREE books, (tablet on the way), cash for uniform, cash for education equipments.

What else do Thai people want? Get paid for going to school?

You actually believe that don't you? A true believer. I better keep my wallet out of sight.

To my opinion, the school expenses here for decent education (in Thai standards) is the same as in my country back home.

The only different thing is that here you actually pay it compared to my country that it is already integrated in the federal taxes we pay on our salary every month and the yearly taxes.

But neverthless I must admit that maybe for some of the Thai parents it will be expensive and for others not.

We can't also forget that the Thai culture is quite different than ours.

I understand the Thai thinking about Thai parents sending their kids to schools with good education because the children, when having a nice and esteemed job, will take care of their parents for the rest of their days.

Keep your school fees and tea money in your pocket,doesn"t matter what school you send you kids too they"ll still come out as thick as mince.

+1 cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What baffles me in the nearly compete lack of curosity by so many Thais across all generations. Ask a question and response is "you to serious / think to much". This of course leads to the perception of "thick as mud". Of course their are exceptions, but...

Yingluck governmant also provide FREE books, (tablet on the way), cash for uniform, cash for education equipments.

The same level of education should be available to everyone without regard to wealth.

That level should be much higher than what is available in 95% of schools in Thailand.

If it's not possible to have all schools be the same quality, then seats in the better schools should be made available to the better students, via fair academic competition - not giving any favoritism to the wealthy.

Thailand could make this happen, but that would require scrapping the whole Education Ministry and rebuilding from scratch using foreign consultants, eg from Singapore.

No, I am not a native English speaker, and no, my grammar is not perfect (in any language). And to be honest, I don't care much about grammar when posting on a forum like this... It might also amaze you, but there are actually many fields where grammar is not very important... secondly, why do non native english speakers have to be perfect in grammar to study at uni?

His point was regarding the generally poor quality of education in Thailand, that a graduate from a top university who has been taught the English language for how many years, would end up with such a low level of skill in that language.

Indeed grammar in and of itself isn't that important when the objective is simply communication, but some people are very pedantic and take poor grammar and spelling seriously as a general indicator of education level or even intelligence.

Vote for us and you will get paid for going to school!

Reelection guaranteed!biggrin.png

That's actually how they do it in Norway. You apply for funding through the government. Its actually a free loan. But if you graduate, parts of the loan will become a scholarship or stipend smile.png

But I am pretty sure that the standard of education in Norway, and especially the evaluation of real learning is valid, transparent and blessed with integrity. And not as here, I am a teacher here, where if students fail I have to 'polish' the grades.

Edited by KireB

To my opinion, the school expenses here for decent education (in Thai standards) is the same as in my country back home.

The only different thing is that here you actually pay it compared to my country that it is already integrated in the federal taxes we pay on our salary every month and the yearly taxes.

But neverthless I must admit that maybe for some of the Thai parents it will be expensive and for others not.

I understand the Thai thinking about Thai parents sending their kids to schools with good education because the children, when having a nice and esteemed job, will take care of their parents for the rest of their days.

I wish it was that simple, but it's not unfortunately. Most of these prestigious schools such as the Saint Joseps, Sacred Hearts, Assumptions etc. are just cheating the parents out of of their hard earned money. The quality of their programs is a farce. Children will pass every test, failing is not allowed and lessons are canceled for whatever ceremony the management can think of.

I would estimate that at least 25% of the classes are canceled! These kids will go to universities where the same rules apply, inferior work leads to a degree. I have a Thai friend who teaches at one of the better universities here and he shows me sometimes the 'work' of the students. Copying and pasting wikipedia is the norrm. Only a handful, self motivated kids, will actually put in their own work and learn.

These kids won't stand a chance in the international business community, and will never earn enough money to justify the money their parents invested in schooling! Most of them are completely inept. Maybe I sound hard and all, but I haven't seen differently unfortunately. Schooling is big business in Thailand!

• Like 2

I wish it was that simple, but it's not unfortunately. Most of these prestigious schools such as the Saint Joseps, Sacred Hearts, Assumptions etc. are just cheating the parents out of of their hard earned money. The quality of their programs is a farce. Children will pass every test, failing is not allowed and lessons are canceled for whatever ceremony the management can think of.

I would estimate that at least 25% of the classes are canceled! These kids will go to universities where the same rules apply, inferior work leads to a degree. I have a Thai friend who teaches at one of the better universities here and he shows me sometimes the 'work' of the students. Copying and pasting wikipedia is the norrm. Only a handful, self motivated kids, will actually put in their own work and learn.

These kids won't stand a chance in the international business community, and will never earn enough money to justify the money their parents invested in schooling! Most of them are completely inept. Maybe I sound hard and all, but I haven't seen differently unfortunately. Schooling is big business in Thailand!

Free market. Pure supply and demand. Why complain. Go to other school if you no like.

Parent are alleged to pay headmasters under the table to get in those school you have mentioned.

Yes that's true about subsidys. I inherited a M4 student with the wife and she said she can get some of the money back by way of government subsidy. She said you have to save your receipts. The boy is going to a government school. Beyond that I need to ask how she gets the money.

Having just read the entire thread, I am left feeling that when it comes to spending money on their kids, there are some people here that would make scrooge look like Father Christmas. It is not so much the physical amount spent, as maybe some people don't have the money, but it is the attitude. I bet with the same people there is no skimping on the quality of beer, cigs and whiskey purchased in the bars every night though.

I have to cut back somewhere to afford the beer I drink. tongue.png

Why are the parents complaining about admission costs/'tea money'? The highly esteemed education minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej (PT) recently claimed that the public should accept this form of donation. It will only benefit the students, cause all these bribes are being used to better the education standards! And isn't that what the parents want? Also, the price of text books will be a lot lower this year, with all the kids getting tablet pc's!

I remember reading some stats on the proportion of the population that actually pays tax in Thailand and I was stunned by how low that figure was. This is because so much of the economy is cash based, small vendor etc and therefore no records are kept and so no taxes are paid. A Thai friend and I were considering building some spec townhouses so she talked to a builder friend and he never paid taxes despite making a very good living. In this type of economy when government coffers are not filled by those who should and can afford to pay taxes donations are required. I am in no way suggesting that this is the way it should be or that corruption is not rampant throughout Thailand. An unrelated thought / belief is that teachers in Thailand should all get an immediate increase in their salaries of 50% and probably it needs to be more like 75%. This would remove the excuse that donations are needed to pay salaries and of course teaching standards simply will not improve until the salary is attractive enough to encourage competent people into that profession.

Parents Flock to Pawnshops As New School Semester Nears

BANGKOK: -- As the new semester is approaching, parents are turning to pawnshops to trade valuables for money to pay for tuition fees and other expenses.

Chiang Mai Mayor Tasanai Buranupakorn has inspected pawn shops supervised by Chiang Mai Municipality, as the new school semester is approaching and many parents are trading in their belongings for money to pay tuiton fees for their children.

In Buriram Province, parents took valuables to trade for money to pay for tuition and other school expenses.

In Khon Kaen, the pawnshop at Khon Kaen municipality saw a continuous stream of customers.

Most of the belongings being traded in are gold ornaments, which the pawnshops are offering a high buying price of 19,000 baht per baht-weight.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-09

Personally when you are in the growing age, don't buy expensive clothes, you'll need bigger sizes after a couple of months. I remember my growth spurt, 3 sets of uniform with in a year!!!

Cheap socks wears out after 2 months, so forget those. Same as shoes.

I think that folks are really forgetting about the fact that kids grow, and sometimes really fast. So it's not just a one time shopping trip but rather multiple trips. Costs do add up.

• Like 2

Thanks for that info. Maybe I should reconsider my opinion.

Parents Flock to Pawnshops As New School Semester Nears

BANGKOK: -- As the new semester is approaching, parents are turning to pawnshops to trade valuables for money to pay for tuition fees and other expenses.

Chiang Mai Mayor Tasanai Buranupakorn has inspected pawn shops supervised by Chiang Mai Municipality, as the new school semester is approaching and many parents are trading in their belongings for money to pay tuiton fees for their children.

In Buriram Province, parents took valuables to trade for money to pay for tuition and other school expenses.

In Khon Kaen, the pawnshop at Khon Kaen municipality saw a continuous stream of customers.

Most of the belongings being traded in are gold ornaments, which the pawnshops are offering a high buying price of 19,000 baht per baht-weight.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-09

Same news every year.

Other child related costs that are the same (or higher) here are: healthcare, holidays, baby milk, baby food, push-chairs, car seats, extra-curricular lessons (e.g dance/tennis/piano), toys, etc

Healthcare for children in Thailand is totally free.

Holidays, my kids go and stay on a rellys farm, free.

Baby milk, comes from mother, free.

Baby food, Mine likes Nestle Cerelac, with added fresh fruit, 70bht for 250g from Tesco, lasts a week.

Push chair, 1,400bht from Tesco

Child seat, 2,500 from Tesco

Mostly free or cheaper.

Healthcare for children in Thailand is totally free.

Holidays, my kids go and stay on a rellys farm, free.

Baby milk, comes from mother, free.

Baby food, Mine likes Nestle Cerelac, with added fresh fruit, 70bht for 250g from Tesco, lasts a week.

Push chair, 1,400bht from Tesco

Child seat, 2,500 from Tesco

Mostly free or cheaper.

Good answer Tommo, although I am not sure how relevant the way you do things is to most expats... I reckon you could live cheap anywhere in the world (as long as there was some soil)... and for that I respect you...

For hospitals, I have seen inside a Thai government hospital and it was pretty awful and I would not trust them with my kids (only Bumrungrad and its Bangkok peers compare to Chelsea & Westminster and other free hospitals back home IMHO)

For holidays, I think most of us would like to take our kids abroad occasionally to see a bit of the world

For milk, good on your wife for making it but she could do that in the UK

For baby food, I reckon your kid could do with a bit more variety but anyway it's the same price everywhere

For pushchair and car seat, I hadn't seen either so cheap over here but anyway those prices are same in UK

Anyway, as I have said the main cost is education, which is the same price for equivalent standard

You actually believe that don't you? A true believer. I better keep my wallet out of sight.

Looking at it now. I think sparebox was being sarcastic.

But I might be wrong.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I wish it was that simple, but it's not unfortunately. Most of these prestigious schools such as the Saint Joseps, Sacred Hearts, Assumptions etc. are just cheating the parents out of of their hard earned money. The quality of their programs is a farce.

I disagree. Perhaps not great value for money, but not outright cheating, and certainly the outcome will be far better than a normal completely free government school. Probably on par with the poorer districts in English-speaking countries - which I admit isn't saying much, and of course there is 100% free.

Looking at it now. I think sparebox was being sarcastic.

But I might be wrong.

I think you're wrong if you look at his posting history; I think perhaps a staffer at some ministry, best English speaker on government payroll. . .

For hospitals, I have seen inside a Thai government hospital and it was pretty awful and I would not trust them with my kids (only Bumrungrad and its Bangkok peers compare to Chelsea & Westminster and other free hospitals back home IMHO)

Many of the public hospitals, especially those attached to medical teaching faculties are exceptional, but do have very long waiting times if you aren't paying the VIP/private rates - but those aren't that much, so all in all on par with at least average hospitals in English-speaking countries.

And I've had some very poor experiences at Bumrungrad, would rate BNH higher, certainly better value, just doesn't have the 5-star resort ambiance.

For holidays, I think most of us would like to take our kids abroad occasionally to see a bit of the world

Nice if you can, but hardly essential in the early stages when they will remember very little.

sarasass, 30.000 baht per semester + 1500 / month for bus fee

Anyone that has experienced that situation understands the quality of education students get there.

Sorry what do you mean, good or bad? I have experience with Sarasas, they have dozens of schools and the variation is pretty wide.

And I hope no one thinks 30K fees are expensive for an average farang, this is a very small fraction of the top say 5, most of which are true international schools.

Little Miss JAG starts P1 next week, Fees at Santi Vithaya Convent School Chiang Rai (Intensive English Programme) come in at B12000 per Semester, this includes school lunches.

Best Beloved has just spent B1270 on 3 sets of everyday uniform, a set of PE kit and a special shirt to wear on Fridays. This was from the school shop, and includes having her name embroidered on the shirts.

All in all I thought quite a reasonable price for having the Love of God beaten into your daughter by nuns! (before anyone gets carried away, I jest, the quality of her education throughout Anuban compares well with a private prep school in the UK, and the staff were great).

A school gets 60,000 Baht per month to hire a good Farang teacher. Lets just say one with ten years experience at the level they require, one who for the sake of argument would gladly accept 36,000. Why do they then offer that guy or girl 30,000 or just replace them with a totally inexperienced rookie? Because they care? Of course they do. It makes sense doesn't it? You can keep changing them for newer, better looking, cheaper ones every year. Parents believe me, the least of your worries are the cost of the uniforms and such like. Bitter? Me?