Speed Improving?

melus

Maybe it’s just you, my current test was worse than usual. I’ve had the True line for about a year, and have noticed slowing deteriating bandwidth. The first few months were great, but it seems to have slowed since then. The main problem is the international bandwidth governing. I’ve noticed downloads with start at close to 100% of potential bandwidth, then get cut back to about 20%. It’s especially bad in the early evening.

During the new year (and any other major holiday) the speed usually improves, since many people leave Bangkok for the provinces, and most businesses are closed.

But that result is very atypical of True... 1847kbps is something I never would have thought possible with them.

hi'

for a valid test yo need to do it with a site as close to you as possible.

you isp can have this on it's page ...

with my isp, I get 6mb/s down, 700kb/s up, if I run any other test they are always miles away :D telling me that I get only a 2mb/s line :o

and as I secure my machine, most of the test pages works only for the upload :D and I get some 40kb/s sometime :D (just half of it)

francois

for a valid test yo need to do it with a site as close to you as possible.

The local test I use is

http://speedtest.csloxinfo.com/

I get the same results as the international tests I used above. I'm sure the unheard of improvement in speeds from True is because more than half of the broadband users in Bangkok have left town. Things will get back to the normail crawl in January.

Well, the speed tests are valid only for what you test them with. If you want to know your international effective speed to the US, you use a US test like Speakeasy. If you want to know your local speed (which is always nearly 100%, unless your line is faulty/badly configured), you test with a local server like True's or ADSLThailand's.

Thing is, what sucks about Thailand's broadband is the international connection, not the local connection (which, as said before, has no problems), so that's what people usually test. The usual result for True is around 10-30% of the line speed, so the 2megs is a bit of an anomaly.

I have a theory on why some people are getting decent speeds with True, and others are not, yet they're all in Bangkok. Originally, when True first started deploying ADSL in limited numbers, their preferred DSLAM was manufactured by Nokia. These had no problems. After that, during their big expansion (and the introduction of the despised "local net" promotion), they switched to DSLAMs manufactured by "Huawei" for all new installations. In this time, anyone connected to these new DSLAMs would get private IPs and have intermittent problems, unlike those connected to Nokias.

When I originally had my True business ADSL package, I was still connected to a Nokia, since I was one of the early adopters. The speed was great, local and international. However, a few months ago, it was behaving badly, and so I gave them a call. One result of that call (the problem actually resolved itself) was that they disconnected me from the DSLAM a few days later, because of an accounting mistake. After that, I had to go through the process of asking for a new account, and I expect that I was re-connected to a Huawei DSLAM. The speed was noticeably less than before, and has been deteriorating since.

If you look at True's bandwidth graphs, they actually separate the Nokia and Huawei data, which leads me to believe that they share different lines, and different bandwidths. People who are connected to one type may have better speeds than the other.

Of course, this is all just guesswork, but it could explain a lot.

How would one know which DSLAM manufacturer one is connected to? The change I made which could have given me the anomaly in speed was to switch ADSL telephone lines. Maybe that put me on a different DSLAM. I just hope it's not a temporary situation.

Well, the speed tests are valid only for what you test them with.  If you want to know your international effective speed to the US, you use a US test like Speakeasy.  If you want to know your local speed (which is always nearly 100%, unless your line is faulty/badly configured), you test with a local server like True's or ADSLThailand's.

Thing is, what sucks about Thailand's broadband is the international connection, not the local connection (which, as said before, has no problems), so that's what people usually test.  The usual result for True is around 10-30% of the line speed, so the 2megs is a bit of an anomaly.

I have a theory on why some people are getting decent speeds with True, and others are not, yet they're all in Bangkok.  Originally, when True first started deploying ADSL in limited numbers, their preferred DSLAM was manufactured by Nokia.  These had no problems.  After that, during their big expansion (and the introduction of the despised "local net" promotion), they switched to DSLAMs manufactured by "Huawei" for all new installations.  In this time, anyone connected to these new DSLAMs would get private IPs and have intermittent problems, unlike those connected to Nokias.

When I originally had my True business ADSL package, I was still connected to a Nokia, since I was one of the early adopters.  The speed was great, local and international.  However, a few months ago, it was behaving badly, and so I gave them a call.  One result of that call (the problem actually resolved itself) was that they disconnected me from the DSLAM a few days later, because of an accounting mistake.  After that, I had to go through the process of asking for a new account, and I expect that I was re-connected to a Huawei DSLAM.  The speed was noticeably less than before, and has been deteriorating since.

If you look at True's bandwidth graphs, they actually separate the Nokia and Huawei data, which leads me to believe that they share different lines, and different bandwidths.  People who are connected to one type may have better speeds than the other.

Of course, this is all just guesswork, but it could explain a lot.

This talk of the Nokia connections is interesting since I've never seen anybody else mention it.

I have a Nokia connection and this is the reason they always tell me I cannot upgrade to anything past my 512/256.

Also, unfortunately, the Nokia connection has performed horribly over the past few months just like all the other True connections. WOW has been basically unplayable at any time before midnight. I've had my connection for about 2 years now.